Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jez

Melbourne Gp. Practice, Quali

I their rear wings were too flexible they were breaking the rules.

I don't think that the protest against Red Bull and Ferrari will go far since Toyota have been pinged, if the rear wing flex is what the protest is all about.

why the f*** wasnt this spotted in scrutineering on Thursday!

race is over for us :angry:

jeeez and we were a fair bit heavier than most of the top 10 too

Good point.

All hope isn;t over for Jarno and Timo. The car is quick all they need are a few safety cars and they can be well and truely back in the mix come the second half of the race.

Remember last year only 6 cars took the flag.

Piquet is loaded like a fuel truck! I wouldn't light a match around his car.

Flavio's pep talk for his drivers:

- "Ok, Nando, don't worry. This will be a race of attrition. You just go out there and try to stay alive and you will be fine!. As for you, Nelsinho...staying alive is optional."

- "Ok, Nando, don't worry. This will be a race of attrition. You just go out there and try to stay alive and you will be fine!. As for you, Nelsinho...staying alive is optional."

:lol:

Or maybe Renault will use the same game plan they used to great effect in Singapore.

Whch was: "Nelsinho when we tell you to throw it in to the wall you throw it into the wall, not before and I know that will be a challenge and not after, when we give you the signal lose it. Fernando this will be timed to your advantage for your pitstop".

The thing is, Australia has always been a demolition derby, anything can happen. If you add to that the devilish designs of the imp (Bernie) and the whole who will be DQ? you have one interesting race. By the time F1 goes back to Europe, things will be much much equalized

Has anybody got any news about Williams protesting against Ferrari and Red Bull's rear wings.

F1 is getting to political!

From what I can gather they were protesting the area around the side pods, however it seems they have withdrawn the protest

Well, I think it only fair to let you all know that I intend to lodge a complaint to admin about everyone's posts. If your post become worse than mine, I shall withdraw the appeal. But at the current time of writing, whilst the majority of you are more interesting and more funny, I shall be appealing.

Andres, I shan't be complaining about you.

The thing is, Australia has always been a demolition derby, anything can happen. If you add to that the devilish designs of the imp (Bernie) and the whole who will be DQ? you have one interesting race. By the time F1 goes back to Europe, things will be much much equalized

I think we should move away from the mirage of the "levelled" field. Just look what having two sets of regulations has done to this race... an artificial, absurd, and unbeliveable line up as well as a preview of things to come next season when multiple regulations will be the regulation. Well, for my money, the only real qualifiers up there are Vettel and Kubica. The BGP's simply strolled into pole with even a higher fuel load, adding insult to injury. This is the "beauty" of the stupidity of FIA, turning to sht everything they touch. If BGP had been told "no way" as Renault and RB were told when they proposed the same diffuser and BGP had been forced into law _like_everyone_else_, then a pole by BGP would've been an achievement _instead_ of what it is now, namely, a caricature of motorsport competition where offices and officers decide who wins...

Anyway.

If the diffuser is ultimately thrown out, BGP will sink like a stone down the midfield.

If the diffuser is copied by the traditional top teams, BGP will sink like a stone down the midfield.

If it ever was, F1 is no longer a competition where innovation gets you ahead... unless, as we've seen, it is allowed by politics and with bias.

Well, I think it only fair to let you all know that I intend to lodge a complaint to admin about everyone's posts. If your post become worse than mine, I shall withdraw the appeal. But at the current time of writing, whilst the majority of you are more interesting and more funny, I shall be appealing.

Andres, I shan't be complaining about you.

Thanks! Trully honoured!

Wait a min... :huh:

I think we should move away from the mirage of the "levelled" field. Just look what having two sets of regulations has done to this race... an artificial, absurd, and unbeliveable line up as well as a preview of things to come next season when multiple regulations will be the regulation. Well, for my money, the only real qualifiers up there are Vettel and Kubica. The BGP's simply strolled into pole with even a higher fuel load, adding insult to injury. This is the "beauty" of the stupidity of FIA, turning to sht everything they touch. If BGP had been told "no way" as Renault and RB were told when they proposed the same diffuser and BGP had been forced into law _like_everyone_else_, then a pole by BGP would've been an achievement _instead_ of what it is now, namely, a caricature of motorsport competition where offices and officers decide who wins...

Anyway.

If the diffuser is ultimately thrown out, BGP will sink like a stone down the midfield.

If the diffuser is copied by the traditional top teams, BGP will sink like a stone down the midfield.

If it ever was, F1 is no longer a competition where innovation gets you ahead... unless, as we've seen, it is allowed by politics and with bias.

I wholeheartly agree.

Golly gosh, the Ferrari's are fairly light and still too far back, and Kubi is super light, his qualifying was not that much of an achievement it seems.

I think the Brawn's have this race absolutely sewn up by the looks of it. How long will it take before everyone gets p**sed off that they are so dominant...

Anyways, I hope Hamilton does some good overtaking tomorrow, same for Kimi. Vettel can try and keep the Brawn's on their toes.

Other than that, glad to see Williams up there :thbup:

Golly gosh, the Ferrari's are fairly light and still too far back, and Kubi is super light, his qualifying was not that much of an achievement it seems.

I think the Brawn's have this race absolutely sewn up by the looks of it. How long will it take before everyone gets p**sed off that they are so dominant...

Anyways, I hope Hamilton does some good overtaking tomorrow, same for Kimi. Vettel can try and keep the Brawn's on their toes.

Other than that, glad to see Williams up there :thbup:

I agree with you George.

Haven't enjoyed a quali session as much for years. Then again, haven't watched quali for 2 seasons anyway. Excellent stuff. Just a bit ominous that Brawn (Virgin F1?) were carrying more fuel than anyone else in Q3. Although it's nice to see a shake up in the order I don't really want any team to run away from the rest. Other observations: Send EJ back to the home for the bewildered, Legard needs to up his game although at least his voice doesn't have the fingernails on a blackboard quality of JA. Nice gamesmanship by Frank and Patrick with their symbolic protest. Kudos. Nice to see Nelsinho living up to the hype again. Props. Prize for miserablist of the day goes to Felipe. Tidy.

Haven't enjoyed a quali session as much for years. Then again, haven't watched quali for 2 seasons anyway. Excellent stuff. Just a bit ominous that Brawn (Virgin F1?) were carrying more fuel than anyone else in Q3. Although it's nice to see a shake up in the order I don't really want any team to run away from the rest. Other observations: Send EJ back to the home for the bewildered, Legard needs to up his game although at least his voice doesn't have the fingernails on a blackboard quality of JA. Nice gamesmanship by Frank and Patrick with their symbolic protest. Kudos. Nice to see Nelsinho living up to the hype again. Props. Prize for miserablist of the day goes to Felipe. Tidy.

Me too. Rubens extra lap would only make him less than a tenth slower than Jens, so a 3/10ths advantage for the Frome Rocket is stellar stuff. I'm not going to jinx him and I'll say no more. I will say, it was plain to me that the BGP001's pace isn't down to the diffuser alone. The nose is certainly playing a major part and they've got the best out of the Merc lump too. Controversial back end or no, it is a super-quick beast - period. Power to Williams for the poke at RBR and the Scuderia. You know what? I think they might be right.

Well, I'm noticing a few correlations here between teams and the past.

McLaren 2009 is like Williams 1998. World Title winners last year (drivers at least), nowheresville the next year.

Lewis Hamilton could possibly become the new Jacques Villeneuve. Winning a title before getting to F1, almost winning the title his first year, winning the title his second year, then nowheresville after that.

I had another one, but forgot it.

Anyway, here's to Brawn GP.

KERS is the opiate of the masses

A bit dramatic, don't you think? :P

I don't care what anyone thinks about the various "conspiracies" du jour involving diffusers and rear wings. Call me naive but watching qualifying was a blast. I will admit it hurt to see Alonso miss Q3 and Kimi at the tail end of the top 10 (I'm hoping that tomorrow will be a better day for them). However, Vettel was terrific and as far as Brawn GP...good for them!

The race should be interesting and as a fan, that's all I ask for.

people, here you have this table about car weights related to speed. Data are for f1.com. i took 0,25 secons each 10 kg. right?

Parrilla de salida del Gran Premio de Australia 2009

Parrilla de salida del Gran Premio de Australia 2009

pos,driver, team, weight, lap time, lap time(2), real gap

1 Jenson BUTTON.. Brawn GP.. 664,500 86,202 85,840 0,000

2 R.BARRICHELLO. Brawn GP.. 666,500 86,505 86,093 0,253

3 S.VETTEL........... Red bull... 657,000 86,830 86,655 0,816

5 Nico Rosberg...... Williams... 657,000 86,973 86,798 0,959

4 Robert KUBICA... BMW........ 650,000 86,914 86,914 1,075

6 Felipe Massa...... Ferrari...... 654,000 87,033 86,933 1,094

8 Mark Webber...... Red Bull... 662,000 87,246 86,946 1,107

7 Kimi Raikkonen.. Ferrari..... 655,500 87,163 87,026 1,186

BRAWN GP pace is even more astonishing. i was so wrong when i though they were bluffing...

Anyway.

Still, kudos to Brawn

I agree, what we have here is Bernie playing with the teams, all in the name of creating an artificial different set of frontrunners, 2 of which are not manufacturers, and create artificial equality amongst teams.

Loved the coverage- what a session!

I know it's wrong, but I miss James Allen a bit. Now I have to go and cleanse myself. Ugh.

Anyway.

Utter rot! Vettel is over half a second behind Button, stopping 6 laps earlier and 2kgs lighter. At best, BGP's diffuser would give them 3-4/10ths advantage if they were on the same fuel and weight as RBR. The fact that Jens has more fuel on board, is slightly heavier and 6/10ths better shows that the Brawn rear end is probably what most of the other drivers will be looking at this year, irrespective of its dimensions. As far as politics is concerned, it's part and parcel of a sport where

Anyway.

Truth hurts.

Bridgestone admits that FIA demanded that they didn't bring the best compounds, but those more conflicting to cause problems and headaches.

Safety concerns? It is not funny because it is true.

Flavio Briatore said after the end of qulifying that Renault already have the design of the 'BRAWN diffuser' ready. They might have it developed and tested in China. The R29 could gain up to 40% of downforce. Renault started working on the new design one month ago, but they were waiting for FIA to make a decision. Briatore said it was a stupidity what happens with the diffusers and KERS.

Utter rot! Vettel is over half a second behind Button, stopping 6 laps earlier and 2kgs lighter. At best, BGP's diffuser would give them 3-4/10ths advantage if they were on the same fuel and weight as RBR... T Get real. BGP's advantage comes from an exceptionally well designed car. Live with it.

Agreed. The fuel loads really shed some light on just how good the BGP cars are. I'm not really understanding the surprise here. This car has been in development since the beginning of last season! Granted Honda sucked it up the last couple of years, but with the budget they HAD it's reasonable to assume that a correction was coming - particularly with Brawn heading the brain trust. Unfortunately, Honda proper pulled out a bit...prematurely. The real question is if Brawn/Fry will be able to pull the money together to sustain this success into next year (perhaps even mid-season) or will it be back to the status quo?

For now, I'm enjoying the shake up.