Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Quiet One

Driver Of The Day - Australia 2009

Melbourne's Driver of the Day  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Who was the wizard of Albert Park?

• Jenson Button
    • Rubens Barrichello
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Timo Glock
    • Fernando Alonso
    • Nico Rosberg
    • Sebastien Buemi
    • Sebastien Bourdais
    • Adrian Sutil
    • Nick Heidfeld
    • Giancarlo Fisichella
    • Jarno Trulli
    • Mark Webber
    • Sebastian Vettel
    • Robert Kubica
    • Kimi Raikkonen
    • Felipe Massa
    • Nelsinho Piquet
    • Kazuki Nakajima
    • Heikki Kovalainen

I gave my vote to Lewis for the first time ever cause he didn't put a foot wrong on sunday (even Jenson did when he entered pit lane for the second time)

Button was very good but not quite perfect. Hamilton drove a very mature race, perhaps one of the best dry races we have seen from him (it was the complete opposite to Bahrain last year in terms of his overtaking judgements), okay he was lucky but there is an element of luck in any good drive I think. So Lewis probably gets the nod this time.

Special mention Alonso, Trulli (despite the questionable penalty), Glock did pretty good too and so did Buemi for a first run. I've probably missed someone...

Shame about Kubi and Vettel, they drove well for the most part, shame they tangled.

Fun race! Plenty of incidents. Of course, most of them were down to the drivers mistakes, but that is what Melbourne is all about, after all. It was encouraging to watch a lot more battles behind the leaders. BGP's dominance was almost Ferrari-esque. But it won't last long so no concerns there. The SC deployments were awful. The stewards are already meddling too much...oh, well...

My opinion about the drivers:

- Button: Great drive, consistent, fast, focused...blah blah blah. BGP was the fastest car by a mile. So his win from pole, although deserved, was nothing spectacular, from the driver's point of view. I was never fond of considering a guy DOD just because he won from pole. Not that he had anything less than a perfect drive, mind you, but he didn't have to show that many skills as others. Over dominant pole to win drivers bore me, sorry. In general, though, it is good to have another contender!

- Rubinho: Geez, what were you trying to do? Again, great to see him fight back after that awful, awful start and first corner. But then again, the car was there to help him turn things around.

- Vettel and Kubica: The Slag Brothers in their Bouldermobiles. Up till then, the obvious choices for DOD. Mostly Kubica. But the accident was too idiotic and avoidable and Vettel going around like that was rather silly. Great job for both, anyways.

- Trulli and Glock: Great drive! Too bad about the penalty. I didn't see the actual overtaking situation so I can't judge Jarno for that. Timo drove as you should in Albert Park: stay out of trouble while you can.

- Lewis, and Alonso: Two more heores for the day. Awful cars, awful luck at the start. Battled all the race, overtook all kinds and color of cars, stayed away from the ugliest spots and turned luck in their favor. WDCs showing how you become one when you can't win (unless the new stupid rule comes in effect in 2010). Lewis is my candidate for DOD (surprises even me). They had to defend against faster drivers, attack, avoid accidents whilie in the middle of the chaos...that takes more skills than winning in your super duper fast car.

- Buemi: Good job, kid! Another DOD. Another fighter is always welcome.

- Piquet and Heikki: Oh, dear...

- Ferrari: Ferrari who?

Wow, I love an even vote. My vote for Hamilton tied him with Button :lol:

Anyway, yes, even I can't find anything to say about his drive, it was very good. But the result would have been more true if those two ghfdggfd, ejem, had thought a bit before crashing stupidly, lol

If he'd finished Kubica would have been DOD, and Buemi not just outperformed Bourdais, he was in the points in a Toro Rosso!! So it's not just because he's called Sebastien that he's in there... (I didn't count Bourdais in the points because I think F1 should have more appropriate penalties for Trulli's case).

EDIT: Sorry, about Alonso, I didn't really see him much during the race, was I sleepy or was it the TV? In any case well done, but not DOD.

Voted for Button!

I can't remember him even being a candidate for DOD, apart from his first win! Maybe he had some great drives, before the internet ( :P ) but anyway!!

It was great seeing the Brawn boys doing well today (the whole team)!

It was a breath of fresh air!

Ferrari would have been on the podium maybe or somewhere near it, hadn't Kimi screwed up a g a i n :mellow: .

They are on a good path, below where they should have been but only just!

Hamilton did a reasonably good job, but he was benefited by the cars ahead retiring!! He wasn't anything special in my book, Truly started in the pitlane and ended up there as well!

The cars look a bit funny and I can't help but having the impression I 'm watching a lower spec series, but maybe that's just me!!

My sympathy vote goes to Jarno, who apparently got phucked over by Hammy's on-track behavior.

A vote for Vettel too, despite everything. Fighting for win in a RB is worth a vote.

Hamilton, of course. Alonso done good too, as you would expect, in difficult circumstances.

Rubino for me.

My sympathy vote goes to Jarno, who apparently got phucked over by Hammy's on-track behavior.

According to Jarno, not the stewards. :P

I vote Bob. Even if he did mess it up completely. Who says DOD has to finish? If not him then Buemi. And finally a special award to Kovi, who proved that the Brawn diffuser is a red herring, by removing most of it at the first corner.

Yes, I voted for Alonso.

And he highly deserved it!

:secret: He's been kersbagging all weekend through.

I was thinking about voting Button, given that his (and BrawnGP's) performance was something that nobody could see just a month ago. However, I voted for Buemi in the end, a rookie in the points in a Toro Rosso in his first race, gotta admire that.

Hamilton did drive a good race, but without all the retirements in the front he would've barely been in the points (around 7th-8th), so can't quite understand, how he can lead the vote (sure, to get that McLaren 3rd in the race is a great accomplishment, but I see it as a combination of a solid drive and good luck, and such a drive from a WDC isn't quite worth a DOD in my books, at least in a race where there are many other candidates for the title. He did fight for every position to even get that final point yielding place though, gotta admire that). Same could be said of Buemi too, of course, but he gets extra points for being a 1st race rookie (instead of reigning WDC) and yet keeping his head cool when others crash.

Definately Button, but will mention Hamilton's & Trulli's comeback from the back of the grid! & there's only 1 dumba$$ of the race & for once it ain't Piquet despite him spinning off thanks to his low temp. tyres under braking but Massa had the same problem when he was doing 60mph, oh yes, another bad Oz GP for Ferrari but look what happened last season, they got a WCC!

Vettel for me! For taking out himself and Kubi! :P

Just kidding...i would have voted for Vettel if he didn't try any of Schumi inspired move....It would have been a fantastic result for Redbull, but good on him to have walked down to BMW camp to say sorry. Lewis was lucky, but he drove one of his best races and created an opportunity to grab the fourth oops third position. So he gets my vote.

Hmmmm, there were a few good drives of note today, I think. Buemi, as has been mentioned, great first drive from him. Trulli drove well to get from the back to 3rd, before the penalty. Haven't seen it, so no idea if it's right or not. Lewis and Rosberg for some decent overtaking. Thought Button drove really well too, although he may have had the slightly easier task, but he still managed better on the soft tyres than some of the other drivers at that time.

Hamilton drove a great race in a substandard car- a more mature drive than I expected of him. Ditto Alonso, but we're used to him doing that.....

Still got to give it to Button though. Yes, he had the car under him, but he hasn't been in a position to win for a long time, and a lot of people (including me I must admit) were starting to question his ability. That must have meant added pressure, but he held it together well and deserved the victory.

First Buemi: a good start in F1.. good race.. no silly mistakes.. well done ^_^

Alonso and Hamilton: they dealth with their problems very well... no mistakes... good race.. although i hope it's the last time i need to vote hamilton..

And finally.. Kubica and Vettel.. i know they did a SILLY mistake but.. well.. they did a good race with a very bad ending..

and more.. but.. if i continue i wont finish xD

First Buemi: a good start in F1.. good race.. no silly mistakes.. well done ^_^

Alonso and Hamilton: they dealth with their problems very well... no mistakes... good race.. although i hope it's the last time i need to vote hamilton..

And finally.. Kubica and Vettel.. i know they did a SILLY mistake but.. well.. they did a good race with a very bad ending..

and more.. but.. if i continue i wont finish xD

No no. you can, as long as u are talking good things about Lewis! :lol:

Just kidding Varda. in TF1 there is no limit. We even have a members who discus lawn mower racing and KFC sponsorships (George and Eric),

Button was very good but not quite perfect. Hamilton drove a very mature race, perhaps one of the best dry races we have seen from him (it was the complete opposite to Bahrain last year in terms of his overtaking judgements), okay he was lucky but there is an element of luck in any good drive I think. So Lewis probably gets the nod this time.

Special mention Alonso, Trulli (despite the questionable penalty), Glock did pretty good too and so did Buemi for a first run. I've probably missed someone...

Shame about Kubi and Vettel, they drove well for the most part, shame they tangled.

My exact thoughts, thanks for typing them out for me George :D

Buemi

Button

Hamilton

Kubica

Vettel

(In that order)

And finally - actually seeing thm in the race...

Those wings (rear and front) annoy me. The cars just don't look fast any more. They don't look designed purely for speed. There's something aesthetically awkward about them. The look more like bulldozers than sportscars.

Hmmm, so Hamilton overtaking Trulli was legal. Now we need to see Trulli overtaking Hamilton to see if that was legal.