Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Quiet One

Hamilton/trulli Controversy Re-opened?

Well bollock me, it's kicking off again, Mary.

Hopefully Hammy keeps his place, 'cos lets face it, Trulli is only good for making cheap wine.

Sure would be dumb if McLaren and Hamilton have been lying again. I'd be surprised if these reports are entirely correct because it doesn't all add up. If Trulli said he thought Hamilton was letting him by, and Hamilton said he was only momentarily distracted, surely the stewards would have investigated which version of events is the correct one when they made their first decision. Perhaps it's still an April Fools' story. I can hope at least...

Paddock dialogue:

QO: They should swap penalties.

AH: Third place for Trulli and 25 s. for Hamilton?

QO: Deal!

:)

Sure would be dumb if McLaren and Hamilton have been lying again. I'd be surprised if these reports are entirely correct because it doesn't all add up. If Trulli said he thought Hamilton was letting him by, and Hamilton said he was only momentarily distracted, surely the stewards would have investigated which version of events is the correct one when they made their first decision. Perhaps it's still an April Fools' story. I can hope at least...

It's on autosport now. Justice might still be done. A 25 second penalty with the field bunched under a safety car is just criminal.

It's on autosport now. Justice might still be done. A 25 second penalty with the field bunched under a safety car is just criminal.

Definitely.

If it was just a matter of Lewis letting Jarno re take his position because of some stupid instruction from the pits, then I would wholeheartedly agree with him keeping 3rd. If it is a matter of lying to the stewards...then a medal for F1 stupidity should be definitely stablished. And McLaren would be rapidly approaching to their objective of obtaining them all.

<h1 class="cN">Toyota drops appeal on Trulli's Australian penalty</h1> Racing series F1 Date 2009-04-01 By J.K. Thompson - Motorsport.com

Upon further review, Toyota's Formula One team on Wednesday dropped its appeal of Jarno Trulli's 25-second penalty handed out after Sunday's Australian Grand Prix in Melbourne.

f1-2009-aus-xp-0810.jpg

iiLargeB1.gif iiTipR2.gif Jarno Trulli, Toyota Racing, TF109. Photo by xpb.cc.

g1pTrans.gif

Trulli, who finished third and celebrated on the podium after the race, was given the penalty after officials determined he passed Lewis Hamilton of McLaren Mercedes during a safety-car period under which the race finished. Red Bull's Sebastian Vettel and BMW Sauber's Robert Kubica crashed together three laps before race's end calling out the safety car. The penalty dropped the Italian to 12th place.

Toyota Motorsport issued a statement that read: "Following the decision by Australian Grand Prix stewards to impose a 25-second time penalty on Jarno Trulli, Toyota Motorsport filed notification of its intent to appeal. This action was taken to preserve any right it may have to utilize the appeal procedure and to give it time to consider in appropriate detail all the facts relating to the incident.

"Having considered recent judgments of the International Court of Appeal and referring to the sporting code, it is believed that any appeal will be rejected on a procedural point such as that defined under article 152, paragraph 5 of the sporting code: 'Penalties of driving through or stopping in pit lanes together with certain penalties specified in FIA Championship regulations where this is expressly stated, are not susceptible to appeal.'

"Based on this, Toyota Motorsport has decided that it would serve no benefit to pursue this course of action."

The penalty promoted Hamilton to third and pulled up other finishers, including Sebastien Bourdais, whose point for eighth gave Scuderia Toro Rosso a double-points finish. World driving champion Hamilton began his title defense starting in 18th position after a gearbox failure during qualifying penalized him.

The crash with Kubica earned Vettel a 10-spot grid penalty for Malaysia. Teams assemble Thursday at the Sepang circuit for Sunday's race, another twilight start. With Australia, the Malaysian race is under appeal by teams who object to the designs of diffusers, the rear aerodynamic parts, on Brawn GP, Williams and Toyota cars. That appeal is scheduled to be heard April 14 in Paris by the World Motor Sport Council of sanctioning body the FIA. Results of both races are subject to change.

http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=322678

April fool joke?

Argh what a bl**dy mess. Everyone's so paranoid about the rules that they are now being over-polite... crazy why can't we just get on with racing instead of constant background activity with stewards, appeals, penalties, etc? :(

Argh what a bl**dy mess. Everyone's so paranoid about the rules that they are now being over-polite... crazy why can't we just get on with racing instead of constant background activity with stewards, appeals, penalties, etc? :(

Yup.

exactly, even if someone infringes a rule slightly, someone will be up in arms

Just race and accept whats happened

So, Hamilton's and the whole teams results have been disqualified, say the sport sites. So much for a great start for the season.

What I want to know is if I'll get my PPP points back. I had Trulli in 3rd and when his penalty came through, I lost 100 points! If I don't, I'm launching a stewards inquiry.

:P

"Based on this, Toyota Motorsport has decided that it would serve no benefit to pursue this course of action."

Even if Toyota drop their appeal, the stewards may well still be annoyed enough to go after Hamfisted if they think he was economical with the truth.

The crash with Kubica earned Vettel a 10-spot grid penalty for Malaysia.

That's ****ing stupid too. Is this racing or dressage for ****s sake?

The increasingly farcical nature of F1 is starting to control the sport. Why bother with the racing? Let's just have the stewards tell us the season's results at the start of each year and spend our sundays elsewhere. They want to cut costs? Well then.

If it was just a matter of Lewis letting Jarno re take his position because of some stupid instruction from the pits, then I would wholeheartedly agree with him keeping 3rd. If it is a matter of lying to the stewards...then a medal for F1 stupidity should be definitely stablished. And McLaren would be rapidly approaching to their objective of obtaining them all.

Yes I agree. Very stupid to lie about this.

So, Hamilton's and the whole teams results have been disqualified, say the sport sites. So much for a great start for the season.

Yup.

Not again! The two best performes in Australia take themselves out and the next 2 are taken out by the stewards.. WTF???

Edit: Ah, no, at least Trulli is back up...

I'm just shaking my head.....

....what next, F1?????????? Wish IRL would hurry up and start their season. At least their rules are simple, concise, and 999 out of 1000 races, the results on the day stand.

HAHAHA Justice prevailed amazingly enough. Wow, I despise Mclaren, but I never knew they were such smelly lying b#####ds, though I guess after the spying affair, we shouldn't be surprised.

Is Lewis the single most unlikeable person on earth?

They launched a lame magazine in Australia. Guess who made the first cover?

http://images.smh.com.au/ftsmh/ffximage/20...sport_style.jpg

The guy is just so repulsive in every possible way. Stupid lying twerp.

None of these problems would have happened if they just let the drivers keep the positions with which they finished.

Can F1 get more stupid? Ofcourse.

None of these problems would have happened if they just let the drivers keep the positions with which they finished.

Can F1 get more stupid? Ofcourse.

Exactly...

Button

Barichello

Trulli

Hamilton

That would have been completely fair considering what happened in the race. All this steward meddling is utter bollocks. Do they intend to ruin every race this season? If so, I won't bother watching.

And from the PPP...

"April 2, 2009: The Australian Grand Prix results have been recalculated following the reinstatement of Jarno Trulli's third place and subsequent disqualification of Lewis Hamilton."

Sweet.

EDIT - bollocks - I gained points for Trulli getting his P3 back then lost points for Hamfisted not being in the top 8 - can't win with these bloody stewards.

Button

Barichello

Trulli

Hamilton

That would have been completely fair considering what happened in the race. All this steward meddling is utter bollocks. Do they intend to ruin every race this season? If so, I won't bother watching.

Although I agree that FIA ruins F1 by constantly changing the results after the races, for whichever technicality, in this case their decision was completely justified, in my opinion. McLaren voluntarily let Trulli pass (because they didn't know the rules?) and then deliberately lied to the stewards about what was going on in order to gain the spot they gave away. Had they just told the stewards what really did happen, the outcome of the race would most likely have been just what adam above suggests and that would be fair: it was McLaren's subsequent actions that were not fair, and the final (?) results reflect that (fairly ;) ).