Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

YHR

Just Not Feeling It

Good old days of F1 (a la 2000 Season) are long gone, and do I miss that season quite much.

The 2000 season will always be one of the best seasons of F1 this decade, it didn't have all the BS like we had recently....

Plus Mika was a hell of a driver to battle Schumacher.

Good old days of F1 (a la 2000 Season) are long gone, and do I miss that season quite much.

The 2000 season will always be one of the best seasons of F1 this decade, it didn't have all the BS like we had recently....

Plus Mika was a hell of a driver to battle Schumacher.

We currently have the drivers in the field to replicate the titanic battle between Mika and Michael. We just need to close all internet forums, shoot all journalists and kick anyone in the bollocks who legislates racing and the freedom to create. In short, we have the ingredients but the chefs are w*nkers.

We currently have the drivers in the field to replicate the titanic battle between Mika and Michael. We just need to close all internet forums, shoot all journalists and kick anyone in the bollocks who legislates racing and the freedom to create. In short, we have the ingredients but the chef's are w*nkers.

Hahaha. Well Said, and I certainly agree with this.

I wish the journalists would just shut the heck up every so often.

We currently have the drivers in the field to replicate the titanic battle between Mika and Michael. We just need to close all internet forums, shoot all journalists and kick anyone in the bollocks who legislates racing and the freedom to create. In short, we have the ingredients but the chefs are w*nkers.

indeed

forum users can be entertainment

journalists can be ignored

limit innovation *beyond reason and F1's buggered

*okay - so I don't like the idea of too many driver aides and I don't want to see remote controlled cars out there, but anything that makes the cars go faster - why not. Just set dimension and weight limits and be done with it.

To be honest I feel the same way, I didn't get up to watch the races live this season so far, and for me that's a big statement, I had watch ever race Live since the opener of 02 with the exception of Canada 07 because I was on a plane from the US to Germany.

Really, everthing that I used to watch F1 for is gone. I loved the looks of the Ferrari, the BMW, the RedBull/STRs last year. I loved seeing them look mean and so detailed. I for one was able to see how those flip ups would affect airflow in my mind. The 20k rev barrier is long gone. I remember JPM hitting 21.5k RPM with almost 950HP in the V10's. The tire wars. The technical innovation, remember Williams' walrus nose, sure it was not the prettiest, but it was innovative, even if it didn't work, Or the first time we saw the Viking horns on the Meclaren or the tractor brakes they developed so that each wheel could brake with a separate force. The rivalry between Mika and MS was fun to watch. Imola 2005 anybody? Talk about a driver ringing everything and then some out of a car. Or Brazil 06. Watching Kimi in 05 with his horrible luck was enjoyable from a different perspective, taking bets on what would fail next

And the Tracks we have lost. And those that are still around have had their balls clipped and made into steers. Spa, no more gravel run off areas? why not just have everybody drive around in bubble raped soapbox cars. Suzuka gone and replaced with Fuji. Hockenheim a shadow of its former self. Barcelona slowed with a stupid chicane that has brought absolutely nothing. No Canada. No Imola. What do we get? Valencia, probably the biggest flop ever. Singapore, a press stunt race held at night on a half a## track. Yas Island as the season closer? Silverstone gone now too in a little bit.

Everybody talks about how great F1 is, how amazing the Drama is. But is it really, F1 has become a shadow of itself in less than 5 years. 2004 was really the last great year, and I don't mean that because Ferrari won but because it was the last year before Max and Bernie really decided to rip the sport apart. Manssle is right, his title is worth 20% more than Hamiltons

Really, everthing that I used to watch F1 for is gone. I loved the looks of the Ferrari, the BMW, the RedBull/STRs last year. I loved seeing them look mean and so detailed. I for one was able to see how those flip ups would affect airflow in my mind. The 20k rev barrier is long gone. I remember JPM hitting 21.5k RPM with almost 950HP in the V10's. The tire wars. The technical innovation, remember Williams' walrus nose, sure it was not the prettiest, but it was innovative, even if it didn't work, Or the first time we saw the Viking horns on the Meclaren or the tractor brakes they developed so that each wheel could brake with a separate force. The rivalry between Mika and MS was fun to watch. Imola 2005 anybody? Talk about a driver ringing everything and then some out of a car. Or Brazil 06. Watching Kimi in 05 with his horrible luck was enjoyable from a different perspective, taking bets on what would fail next

And the Tracks we have lost. And those that are still around have had their balls clipped and made into steers. Spa, no more gravel run off areas? why not just have everybody drive around in bubble raped soapbox cars. Suzuka gone and replaced with Fuji. Hockenheim a shadow of its former self. Barcelona slowed with a stupid chicane that has brought absolutely nothing. No Canada. No Imola. What do we get? Valencia, probably the biggest flop ever. Singapore, a press stunt race held at night on a half a## track. Yas Island as the season closer? Silverstone gone now too in a little bit.

Everybody talks about how great F1 is, how amazing the Drama is. But is it really, F1 has become a shadow of itself in less than 5 years. 2004 was really the last great year, and I don't mean that because Ferrari won but because it was the last year before Max and Bernie really decided to rip the sport apart. Manssle is right, his title is worth 20% more than Hamiltons

Hear, hear.

I was going to bold the parts I liked the most about your post but I would've bolded nearly everything...

To be honest I feel the same way, I didn't get up to watch the races live this season so far, and for me that's a big statement, I had watch ever race Live since the opener of 02 with the exception of Canada 07 because I was on a plane from the US to Germany.

Spot on! LMS & ALMS is the way to go these days for action, drama & excitement, even if there was only 17 cars on the St.Pete grid last week, 6 prototypes & the rest GT2s!

Personally, I think F1 has steadily become better since 2004. I've never been impressed with any F1 'innovation' but I'd say there's more innovation this year than most, and it's more accessible to the fans. The sport is more dramatic too. The one cloud over the sport imho is the conduct of the stewards and FIA over the rules and the penalties for breaking them.

Interesting name change Murray, Max, Graham. So glad you've finally "come out". :)

The girls will be over later, get the whipped cream ready :)

Oh crap, does that mean that Maure is really Bernie???? :o

Yes and he's over here already...

Funny.

Personally, I think F1 has steadily become better since 2004. I've never been impressed with any F1 'innovation' but I'd say there's more innovation this year than most, and it's more accessible to the fans. The sport is more dramatic too. The one cloud over the sport imho is the conduct of the stewards and FIA over the rules and the penalties for breaking them.

How long have you been watching Formula One?

I can name many seasons that were better than after 2004....

The mid to late 1990s were so much better thn now...

I think it's all a load of rose tinted bollocks meself. The sport has always been full of crap like this, so while F1 may not be quite as good, there is still plenty to celebrate.

I think it's all a load of rose tinted bollocks meself. The sport has always been full of crap like this, so while F1 may not be quite as good, there is still plenty to celebrate.

:thbup:

Also spracht Georgustra.

How long have you been watching Formula One?

I can name many seasons that were better than after 2004....

The mid to late 1990s were so much better thn now...

For me, they were no better tbh. The greatest driver around was tragically killed, as were others, then Schumacher dominated a bunch of no hopers and Mika Hakkinen. DH and JV were pretty poor WDCs imho, though thankfully Eddie Irvine just missed out.

Yes I agree and would probably go further. Human beings in general just like to moan at something, anything. F1 has probably never been better, at least to my tastes.

For me, they were no better tbh. The greatest driver around was tragically killed, as were others, then Schumacher dominated a bunch of no hopers and Mika Hakkinen. DH and JV were pretty poor WDCs imho, though thankfully Eddie Irvine just missed out.

Yes I agree and would probably go further. Human beings in general just like to moan at something, anything. F1 has probably never been better, at least to my tastes.

It wouldn't have changed anything.

Senna when he was tragically killed, wasn't the greatest anymore; his peak was 1993, but by 94 he was in decline.

The Williams FW16 wasn't really competitive with the Benetton B194 until the (reliable) B spec was introduced. Heck Williams didn't understood the concept of pit stop strategy and setting up the car for shorter fuel stints until 1996.

The Schumacher - Brawn - Byrne boys would have still dominated even with Senna alive.

The greatest era in GP racing was the 1930s BTW.

I think that's generally the case, I also think a lot of people start to drift from F1 once their favourite driver isn't doing so well anymore, and then use a bunch of other arguments to justify why they no longer like F1.

It wouldn't have changed anything.

Senna when he was tragically killed, wasn't the greatest anymore; his peak was 1993, but by 94 he was in decline.

The Williams FW16 wasn't really competitive with the Benetton B194 until the (reliable) B spec was introduced. Heck Williams didn't understood the concept of pit stop strategy and setting up the car for shorter fuel stints until 1996.

The Schumacher - Brawn - Byrne boys would have still dominated even with Senna alive.

The greatest era in GP racing was the 1930s BTW.

Maybe Senna was in decline, that's speculation, we just don't know. Some suggested he missed having Prost as a means of comparison, but either way I think he could have given Schumi a good run (at least better than Hill anyway).

Ah yes, I remember those days, back in the 30's everything was so much better :lol:

Maybe Senna was in decline, that's speculation, we just don't know. Some suggested he missed having Prost as a means of comparison, but either way I think he could have given Schumi a good run (at least better than Hill anyway).

I doubt senna would have remained in F1 much longer even if he hadn't died. He was 34 when he was killed, MS would probably still have won 94 and there is no doubt that he would not have won 95. Had senna been around MS would probably stayed at Benetton and 96 would have been a toss up. If Senna had not won the title in 94 95 or 96 I bet he would have called it quits. He would have been 36 by then, 3 titles, probably about 50 wins and 75+ poles, what else would he have had to look forward too? I think though that if that had happened that Ferrari would never have dominated F1 as long as they had.

Also, had Senna Lived and not won the title in 94,95 or 96 I bet the whole Senna Myth would be far smaller than it is now. Whenever someone is killed their legend grows to far bigger greatness than the person could have ever achieved in life

Agreed. I wasn't trying to suggest Senna would have made Schumi look any less superhuman. Fwiw I tend to think Schumi would have been more successful than Senna any way. But Senna's death is relevant to how good F1 was back in the 90s: I don't want to watch a sport where people are getting killed every few events, and the loss of such a talent obviously detracts from the quality of the racing.

[quote name='Rainmaster' post='288524' date='Apr 10 2009, 04:39 PM']Ah yes, I remember those days, back in the 30's everything was so much better :lol: [/quote]
:lol:

EDIT: How many times can I edit this post.

EDIT: Quite a few.

EDIT: No one is reading any more.

EDIT: Very wise.

EDIT: Not least because I haven't edited it as many times as it looks. That would be stupid.

With so much potential for the grand spectacle that you so clearly crave, it amazes me that you did not watch the first race live. You make some good points but for me, your whole attitude is too negative here to make truly credible and objective criticisms. There is still much to be excited about.

I doubt senna would have remained in F1 much longer even if he hadn't died. He was 34 when he was killed, MS would probably still have won 94 and there is no doubt that he would not have won 95. Had senna been around MS would probably stayed at Benetton and 96 would have been a toss up. If Senna had not won the title in 94 95 or 96 I bet he would have called it quits. He would have been 36 by then, 3 titles, probably about 50 wins and 75+ poles, what else would he have had to look forward too? I think though that if that had happened that Ferrari would never have dominated F1 as long as they had.

Also, had Senna Lived and not won the title in 94,95 or 96 I bet the whole Senna Myth would be far smaller than it is now. Whenever someone is killed their legend grows to far bigger greatness than the person could have ever achieved in life

Totally agree with the bold. Why do you think Michael would have stayed at Benetton, had Ayrton lived?