Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pumpdoc

Why This Happened

The fairest solution is to have all races start at a universal start time.

Possibly. To be honest, though, I think if a country is hosting a GP, then it should be on at the best time for that country.

Well bollock me I canny believe it, where be all dat criticism be coming from I never not done no complaining about no race start times in me life fer sure so it be a bit unkind to blame us Euro-peans. Personally, me own opinion is dat that Bernie fellow is to blame because 'e is a greedy twonk an' 'e jus' says it is what them Euro-peans want to cover up for dat factual piece of in-for-mat-ion.

The serious fans will watch the race at any time, the majority of other 'fans' will just record the race if they don't like the start time. Got bollocks all do with the viewers.

Every race should start at the same time, local time. Anything else is pandering to the pompous.

Fair does.

How would that be determined.

Well, whatever the organisers of that GP think, or know, is the best time for their country's demographic. I think most European races are 2pm, which is fine as we are used to having the races at that time, but it doesn't mean it has to be the same for every country. If they want a different time, then they should be able to have it, within reason.

Well bollock me I canny believe it, where be all dat criticism be coming from I never not done no complaining about no race start times in me life fer sure so it be a bit unkind to blame us Euro-peans. Personally, me own opinion is dat that Bernie fellow is to blame because 'e is a greedy twonk an' 'e jus' says it is what them Euro-peans want to cover up for dat factual piece of in-for-mat-ion.

The serious fans will watch the race at any time, the majority of other 'fans' will just record the race if they don't like the start time. Got bollocks all do with the viewers.

Exactly. It's not like 'fans' have ever been able to change Bernie's mind before :lol:

Exactly. It's not like 'fans' have ever been able to change Bernie's mind before :lol:

:lol: Yup. Stubborn dwarf he is.

That's what we get for letting old relics past their "best before" date decide about times. :huh:

It was entertaining until that. Even a few laps of rain themselves can make race a more exciting than a full dry race.

I agree. If the race took place at normal time, we would of had a full race.

I feel sorry for alll the people who paid loads of money to see a good race in the grandstand only to get robbed and have half a race. The host of the grand prix should have top priority of when to hold the race, and if that happens to be at an inconvenient time for Europe, then tough. Wake up early like a true F1 does (or record/sky +). This is coming from a UK viewer too!

There must be a minium of two hours of good light with the consideration of rain storms. Work back from that and you have the latest possible race start time. Simple.

Ok this debacle of a race shortining never had to happen. Why did it? Well because Bernie decided that you Europeans whinge so damn much about having to get up before dawn to watch a race that he move the flyaway races to the late day with no chance of finishing a race if there is a delay. Just think folks we could have had a proper race if not for you pussy Europeans crying in your oatmeal about having to get up early. :mf_tongue:

It's certainly the way to go. If you are gonna start a fistfight, you might as well take it up with a few hundred million people at once. No point holding back.

Anyway. We btch about this because it fcked our race. If it hadn't, we wouldn't... even though the problem remains. It's not just about scheduling, of course. We have a completely manufactured season in our hands, from A to Z. We should be looking at RBR and BMW dominating _legitimately_ and, instead, well, we have... the new topic we are not supposed to talk about. BGP is the new green.

For a man who's universally known for having a shrewd business mind and has made a gazillion dollars, he sure says some moronic things. Yeah I guess he's right. How were they to know that it would rain... in the afternoon...in Malaysia...during monsoon season?

Ecclestone stands by late start time

By Jonathan Noble Monday, April 6th 2009, 07:11 GMT

Formula 1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone sees no reason to abandon the move to twilight races, despite seeing the Malaysian Grand Prix cut short because of a downpour.

Ecclestone had insisted that the Sepang race should start at 5pm this year, because it would help boost television audience figures back in Europe.

However, as expected, the race was marred by the evening rain showers common to the region - and in the end had to be called off when conditions made it too dangerous to continue.

Despite the chaos of the race, Ecclestone has made it clear that he still thinks the start time is correct. Speaking to AUTOSPORT about whether he had regrets about starting the race at 5pm, Ecclestone said: "No. I just have regrets about the rain.

"I don't see anything wrong with the start time, we just didn't know about the rain. If we had started at 2pm then it would have rained as well."

Despite Ecclestone's stance about the start time, Malaysian GP organisers have said they want to speak to F1's commercial chiefs to discuss the situation.

Sepang International Circuit chairman Datuk Mokhzani Mahathir told the New Straits Times that he was looking into the matter.

"We will review it," he said. "As to exactly what time it will start next year, we are not sure. But we are reviewing the timing for next year's race."

F1 teams themselves have had a mixed response to the decision to move the Malaysian race start time back to 5pm.

BMW motorsport director Mario Theissen said: "We should not have a twilight race. Either we have a race without lighting, then it should finish earlier, or we have a night race and you can go on when you want. Here it was on the edge.

"It would have been on the edge in dry conditions and I have heard before that they are discussing to pull it forward again for next year.

"It [an abandoned race] is definitely not what we want to see, but that is not depending on the time of the day. We had that at Sao Paulo at 2pm too. What we have to understand is that here, generally in Malaysia, rain probability raises in the afternoon."

But Renault boss Flavio Briatore told AUTOSPORT: "This was about the weather. You can control the start time but you cannot control the weather.

"We were unlucky because yesterday the storm was at the same time, and today as well. I believe if it wasn't for the weather, then the timing was great for Europe. Sure, the people watching the racing had fun."

I think everyone's covered everything there is to say here.

Bernie wants more revenue.

He gets it by changing a race time to coincide with regular afternoon rainstorms.

He got his money. We got a red-flag.

Lucky us - European or not.

Bernie's a fool, After FOTA screwed him over with the medal system nonsense i feel we will see many more stupid "No Questions asked" decisions from him.

In this respect, Ecclestone decisions are crystal clear. Divide and conquer... in order to rule the teams. Quite successful so far considering how they are at each other throats. Undoubtedly, the most powerful reason behind the artificial upset of the lineup.

In this respect, Ecclestone decisions are crystal clear. Divide and conquer... in order to rule the teams. Quite successful so far considering how they are at each other throats. Undoubtedly, the most powerful reason behind the artificial upset of the lineup.

Bernie, won

Erm, didn't everyone know about the rain.

Everyone apart from Richard Harris. No one likes soggy cake.

in my opinion its a whole load of rubbish --- waited a whole blardy year for the M'sian GP and it lasts only half the distance...

they might as well not have the race down here.... yea fine ill accept they cant predict the rain but at least give the race a chance

of continuing after the rain... i live here and it starts getting dark around 6.30 so 5pm race start is just ridiculous

i believe any true F1 fan will not mind waking up early to watch a race... perhaps they should force the non european hosts to install lighting systems just like singapore.. of cause tht would only make an already expensive sport even more expensive...

i heard there was lesser spectators in sepang and if FIA keep to this sort of timing then rather than increasing their fan base in asia its going to decrease.....