Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grabthaw the Hammerslayer

So Who Would You Drive For....?

Some sites are reporting that Spanky Max had to talk Hamilton into staying in F1/McLaren - now this is probably just a bit of media spin, but it did get me thinking - if you were Hammy (I know you will have to dig deep on this one Maure to put yourself in his shoes.... :D ) to which team would you go?

OK, nil points for anyone who says Brawn, putting them aside....

Last year Ferrari looked like a good bet, but at the moment they look like they are in a state.... McLaren, well not exactly sparkling and lots of rumours about Mercedes Benz's continuing involvement, Renault? Nope.

Toyota, Red Bull? What a remarkable change since last year....

And interesting that each of the customer engined teams seems to be doing better than the works team...

Ah good point, forgot about them... wonder if their KERS is a bit more useful than the others?

I think the flywheel approach is the way to go. Suppose it would have a gyroscopic effect though? Better on cost grounds as well. Wonder how many batteries the others will go through in a season and at what cost? Then again, would you want a heavy metal disc (but not in a gatefold sleeve) spinning at 000's of rpm right between your shoulder blades? Wheels of Steel!

I think the flywheel approach is the way to go. Suppose it would have a gyroscopic effect though? Better on cost grounds as well. Wonder how many batteries the others will go through in a season and at what cost? Then again, would you want a heavy metal disc (but not in a gatefold sleeve) spinning at 000's of rpm right between your shoulder blades? Wheels of Steel!

Agree - I must admit to thinking along similar lines about the gyroscopic effect. And yes if one of the Williams had a smash I would not want to be within 100 metres with that thing flying around.

Why change? I wouldn't mind to se him and Alonso together in Renault. What a season it would be!

Ahhh Lewis at Renault? With Alonso? That would be just too good. Bernie would applaud it. He would be already thinkng "Nando vs Lewis II: payback time!"

Tough one.

Probably Ferrari as they are bound to come good sooner rather than later, whereas I could never be sure of the long term agendas at other teams.

Yeah exactly. Ferrari are always the way to go imho. Though given his special relationship with McLaren, I think it's best to stay there for the time being at least.

Yeah a gyroscopic effect would be very interesting. I thought the disc was spinning under the car? That way I'd imagine you'd get fewer gyroscopic effects from it because the axis of rotation will stay roughly vertical at all times. I wonder if there's any residual benefit from having several discs spinning in opposite directions. Or when it comes to banked tracks like Indy, since the banking is all tilting one way, you can perhaps gain an advantage from spinning your flywheel one way rather than another.

Why change? I wouldn't mind to se him and Alonso together in Renault. What a season it would be!

If he agrees to play Fifi or Nelson Beequiet. :lol:

I would drive for the team who is the quickest, if I was not able to get a drive with the current fastest team, I would sign for Ferrari who will always catch up anyway.

Because I have their hat on right now, I'll sign with Sir Frank (even if it is Juan's hat). All that practise speed is going to pay off in a race very very soon. So far bad luck has kept Nico getting a podium.

Ferrari is going to turn to shyte, and back to their bumbling ways pre Brawn, Todt, Bryne and Schumi. Last year was bad enough with Massa and the xmas tree lights and furl hoses...but to put full wets on in the dry? Duh! Worse than bringing three tyres to a pit stop.....

Nice discussion thread, Chris. Can I have the second seat alongside Russ at Team Willy please?

I think the flywheel approach is the way to go. Suppose it would have a gyroscopic effect though?

Undoubtedly. Made me wonder the other day whether it could have some sort of positive affect on the handling? Would the gyro' effect still be there if the wheel is mounted vertically?

I would ask Ecclestone.

Some sites are reporting that Spanky Max had to talk Hamilton into staying in F1/McLaren - now this is probably just a bit of media spin, but it did get me thinking - if you were Hammy (I know you will have to dig deep on this one Maure to put yourself in his shoes.... :D ) to which team would you go?

OK, nil points for anyone who says Brawn, putting them aside....

Last year Ferrari looked like a good bet, but at the moment they look like they are in a state.... McLaren, well not exactly sparkling and lots of rumours about Mercedes Benz's continuing involvement, Renault? Nope.

Toyota, Red Bull? What a remarkable change since last year....

And interesting that each of the customer engined teams seems to be doing better than the works team...

It's easy for me to put myself in Hamilton's shoes. I've done it for two years. My advice has always been to get as quick and as far away from RD as possible. Pity it has taken so long for the kid to smart up. It might be too late.

...but to put full wets on in the dry? Duh! Worse than bringing three tyres to a pit stop.....

When old Grandpa Joe was suspected of losing his marbles, no one would believe it. The signs were there, but could be dismissed as they weren't conclusive. Ferrari bolting those wets on reminded me of the day Joe put his wifes dress on, walked down the town and into the local butchers and asked for a copy of 'Fly Fishing' by 'JR Hartley'.

It will only be a matter of time before ferrari and mclaren are back at the front, so long-term its best to stick with one of those teams. Mclaren 2009 is just as bad as mclaren 2004, but the following season they were championship contenders.

Lewis will stay with mclaren for a long long time, I believe.

Maure RD has overseen several world champs under his reign (Hakkinen, Senna, Prost etc) so I disagree that Ron is/was a problem, although granted his 2007 driver-handling didnt go to plan

He should stay put. Yes, McLaren are having a bunch of disasters at the moment, but so are Ferrari. Being in the right team atmosphere that suits you as a driver is vital- that's why I always believed leaving McLaren was the worst decision Kimi ever made- he fluked a championship but he isn't getting the discipline he needs at Ferrari. He's brilliant but lazy (much like me- perhaps why I like him) and in a team like Ferrari where drivers are expected to be much more autonomous than in a super-corporate environment like McLaren that leads to complacency.

Similarly Lewis fits well at McLaren, and I'm confident they will come good in the end. Team hopping is a dangerous game. You have to be in the right place at the right time, and hopping to another team is an unnecessary gamble IMO.

And as above, bitching about Ron just doesn't hold water historically. Whitmarsh is another matter though- I've never been much of a fan, and I could well believe a lot of McLaren's recent drama can be laid at his feet.

When old Grandpa Joe was suspected of losing his marbles, no one would believe it. The signs were there, but could be dismissed as they weren't conclusive. Ferrari bolting those wets on reminded me of the day Joe put his wifes dress on, walked down the town and into the local butchers and asked for a copy of 'Fly Fishing' by 'JR Hartley'.

I know that was supposed to be funny, but either you're not dunk, or I'm not drunk, or Grandpa Joe isn't drunk, because that wasn't funny....which is not normal for you good Sir :o

It will only be a matter of time before ferrari and mclaren are back at the front, so long-term its best to stick with one of those teams. Mclaren 2009 is just as bad as mclaren 2004, but the following season they were championship contenders.

Lewis will stay with mclaren for a long long time, I believe.

Maure RD has overseen several world champs under his reign (Hakkinen, Senna, Prost etc) so I disagree that Ron is/was a problem, although granted his 2007 driver-handling didnt go to plan

McLaren spent nearly a decade with nothing to call its own despite having the fastest driver of the grid. When it had the most complete driver, it pssed it away. And Hamilton, well, betraying the team once again. The only thing RD's done well in recent years is to convince you that RD is blameless for all this.

Hamilton has said enough times that he would stay in McLaren for his entire career, a team that claims to be doing poorly now because it invested everything it had to make him champion last season... not to mention many other (human) sacrifices along the way. It will be a shock (for the naive) if Hamilton betrayed McLaren once again and moved on.

In regards to RD's capacity, well, we are having this conversation... because the driver he bet everything on is calling it quits while, yet again, accusing the team of the worst kind of wrongdoing. Yet again. Think it over, how many times FIA has investigated McLaren on account of Hamilton's accusations? Yep. Beyond belief.

This matter is a MESS, a mess that has been snowballing since Monaco 07 when some, including me, saw the warning signs of what was to come. Here we are now. Having just won the WDC, Hamilton is at his lowest. How does that make any sense?

I know that was supposed to be funny, but either you're not dunk, or I'm not drunk, or Grandpa Joe isn't drunk, because that wasn't funny....which is not normal for you good Sir :o

Maybe it's just an English sense of humour thing? I thought it was highly amusing. And very apposite.

From another thread...

I assume you're referring to the apocryphal story of the diffuser never being shown in it's entirety. Good word, apocryphal. Does what it says on the tin.

From this one...

Maybe it's just an English sense of humour thing? I thought it was highly amusing. And very apposite.

You're on the 'a' page aren't you monza. ;)