Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ayrton Senna

Who Is The Best Wet Driver Ever?

The Rainmaster of the Rainmasters  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Who was the best?

• Ayrton Senna
    • Fernando Alonso
    • Gilles Villeneuve
    • Jackie Stewart
    • Jim Clark
    • Juan Manuel Fangio
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Michael Schumacher
    • Nigel Mansell
    • Stirling Moss
    • Other

Started thinking about this after the Malaysia GP. When I saw those drivers spinning behind the satefy car, I started to remember the last race that was red flagged because of the rain: Adelaide 1991. I distinctively remember Ayrton Senna leading the race in undrivable conditions, while using one hand to control to the car and the other to call for the end of the race. He did that for almost an entire lap, while the race was still ON.

So I'd like to know from you guys: who is the best wet driver ever in your opinion and why?

My obvious choice is Senna. I've never seen any driver with such an impressive record of performances on the wet. Out of the top of my head, I would mention Estoril 85, Spa 85, Silverstone 88, Hockenheim 88, Spa 89, Interlagos 91, Interlagos 93, Donington 93, and the most impressive of them all in my opinion, Monaco 84. But I'm sure there are others.

It's hard to say who was the best when you haven't seen drivers like Clark and Fangio in action, though.

Hmm, that's a tough one. Like you say it's difficult when we haven't seen all the drivers, but also because in the modern era (and probably in years gone by but to a lesser extent) the car seems to play such a large factor, even when it's wet. I mean look at the Red Bulls in Malaysia, they were super quick compared to everyone else iirc.

But anyway, my choice would be Senna because regardless of his car he always drove sublimely in wet conditions. Either Schumi / Clark / Gilles / Stewart in second. Too close to call.

No doubt DOF will say Caracciola, and if he did he may well be right.

Of the current crop, Hamilton and Vettel are the men to watch when the skies open.

It is pretty much impossible to choose any one of these drivers. They drove different cars, and at different times. Clark could have been better than Senna in the cars he drove and Senna better in his cars. But everyone can agree that all of these guys are among the best of their respective times.

It is pretty much impossible to choose any one of these drivers. They drove different cars, and at different times. Clark could have been better than Senna in the cars he drove and Senna better in his cars. But everyone can agree that all of these guys are among the best of their respective times.

Yep.

It is not only hard to compare because of the different cars/drivers/etc, but also because most of us never had the chance of watching most of them. And for those we could actually watch, memory can be tricky. I've been watching many races from the past, lately. But even if I could watch many of the 80's & 90's GPs, it is impossible to find any pre-1980 race complete. AT most you get some bits and the usual panegirics about these legends.

But...combining what you read and what you can still watch here and there, it is Senna who still stands out.

One more thing: for a Brazilian guy, the poll seems made by a British...I mean...Nigel Mansell there but no Jean Alesi? The Lion was good. But he was no Jean Alesi in the wet. :P

+1

Yep, what he said.

Ignoring that though and being subjective for a moment, Michael's Spain '96 drive will always be special to me. I remember at the end of that race thinking "there is currently no one better than this guy". Up to that point I had been a staunch patriot and blindly prejudiced against the big chinned, German, Hill-nerfing scum bag.

Sure, they drove different cars at different times. I think the only way to compare these guys without being too unfair is by looking at how good they were in comparison to the rest of the field in their respective times. Senna's Era was undoubtly one of the most talented ones in history, and he was so much better than all of them it's not even funny. What I've seen him do to Prost on wet races is something I doubt ever happened with two drivers of such top caliber. He would lap him even with a much inferior car, like in Donington 93, or with the same car, like in Silverstone 88. The biggest sight I have from Estoril 85 is Senna pulling away from Prost and the frenchman spinning 5 times on the background. And that happened on the main straight, which at least shows how much water there was on the track that day. So I think Ayrton's case is particularly special for those reasons, and it's why he is my choice. But sure, this is mostly based on what I've seen. There's so little information out there about older times that it's almost impossible to know how much better some of those drivers were compared to their oponents.

As for the current crop, Alonso is still the best in my opinion. Hamilton is definitely good too, and so is Barrichello (actually it's the only thing I like about his driving). I think maybe it's a bit too early to judge Vettel, even with his magnificent win at Monza last year (and other good performances like in the Brazilian GP).

One more thing: for a Brazilian guy, the poll seems made by a British...I mean...Nigel Mansell there but no Jean Alesi? The Lion was good. But he was no Jean Alesi in the wet. :P

Well, I have to admit I don't remember much from Alesi on the wet. I was sure I would forget some. I could very well had added Barrichello to that list too, and he didn't even cross my mind at that moment. But that's probably because I hate the guy. :lol:

said it

I might be inclined to remove a couple from the list, but only a couple - Mansell wouldn't get into my all time list and sorry but Gilles would just miss out too.

Jury's still out on Hamfisted and Alonso - ask me in 10 years.

Prost, Senna and Schumacher are the greatest I've seen.

Today I would rate very high 3 or 4 drivers but only 1 reminds me of these. Some of them are still very young and they could improve a lot to get closer to the greatest I've seen.

Ignoring that though and being subjective for a moment, Michael's Spain '96 drive will always be special to me. I remember at the end of that race thinking "there is currently no one better than this guy". Up to that point I had been a staunch patriot and blindly prejudiced against the big chinned, German, Hill-nerfing scum bag.

What a depressing race that was for us Hill fans. Utterly brilliant from Schumacher.

As for the current crop, Alonso is still the best in my opinion. Hamilton is definitely good too, and so is Barrichello (actually it's the only thing I like about his driving). I think maybe it's a bit too early to judge Vettel, even with his magnificent win at Monza last year (and other good performances like in the Brazilian GP).

Is Alonso the best in the wet though? I'm not so sure these days. I'd say Hamilton and Vettel of the current crop stand out in those conditions. But you have to remember they have really only driven for one team each (even in Vettel's case...). Those teams might well design cars that have particular characteristics, or adopt strategies, that make them strong in the wet. I would also nominate Massa because no one is more fun to watch in the rain.

You all know who voted for Lewis, I clap for myself :clap3: , if Vettel was there in that list I would have voted for him instead.

I have seen only three drivers on thal list drive in rain, so I can't vote for the others whom I have not watched.

It would be intersting if Sutil was given a better car.

Out of the current crop, Alonso

Hungary 2006 was masterful (until unfortunate incident!)

Nurburgring 2007?

I don't feel Hamilton nor Alonso should be included in this poll!

If Jenson wins this year, you can have your own thread! ;)

Markus Winklehock :lol:

but seriously, Michael Schumacher and Aryton Senna, tough choice really

If Jenson wins this year, you can have your own thread! ;)

Why thank you very much kind sir! But even I can admit Jenson isn't ever going to be particularly remembered as a great in 10 years time let alone 20! Alonso however will, and no doubt Hamilton also (although I would argue JB is just as capable in the wet as Hamil****!)

Markus Winklehock :lol:

but seriously, Michael Schumacher and Aryton Senna, tough choice really

Yes, to be fair Michael and Ayrton are in a league ahead of every other past and present F1 driver when talking about skills in the rain. But I would add that Senna is also leagues above Schumi!

Why thank you very much kind sir! But even I can admit Jenson isn't ever going to be particularly remembered as a great in 10 years time let alone 20! Alonso however will, and no doubt Hamilton also (although I would argue JB is just as capable in the wet as Hamil****!)

Yes, to be fair Michael and Ayrton are in a league ahead of every other past and present F1 driver when talking about skills in the rain. But I would add that Senna is also leagues above Schumi!

You are welcome!

We will never know how good is JB when compared to Lewis or viceversa unless they have the same car, even if they have the same car and if JB manages to beat Lewis, I would still bitch that JB had more downforce! :P

Hang on, i'm just going to go get a Magnum and can of coke in my shorts and tshirt!