Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ayrton Senna

Who Is The Best Wet Driver Ever?

The Rainmaster of the Rainmasters  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Who was the best?

• Ayrton Senna
    • Fernando Alonso
    • Gilles Villeneuve
    • Jackie Stewart
    • Jim Clark
    • Juan Manuel Fangio
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Michael Schumacher
    • Nigel Mansell
    • Stirling Moss
    • Other

Yep. I don't think Bellof should be called the best wet driver ever given his short career. The talent was definitely there, though.

And I read that thread yesterday. I could write a book for every GP from 85-93 and compare Senna's perfomance with Prost's in every one of them (since the author of the thread was so eager for arguments). I could counter-argue those statistics and insults he called "arguments" very easily too. But I won't do that. It's clear from the way he types that he is one of those persons whose mind can't be changed, no matter which or how many facts you throw at them.

Those who vividly remember the Senna-Prost Era and lack any major bias towards one or both of them know exactly who was the better of the two, it's not that hard to say really. But this thread is about wet driving only, Prost shouldn't even be mentioned here. :lol:

The Professor doesn

I remember Adelaide 89, what was the other?

At Silverstone 88, after being lapped by Senna, he retired and said later in an interview that the McLaren wasn't good enough in those conditions. :lol:

Water really frightened the guy. I remember quite a few horrible starts from him on the rain where he dropped from the 1st/2nd row to the middle of the grid. But he was able to make a comeback in many of them, so I'm gonna cut him some slack. :P

Did he cut the chicane?

There weren't any chicanes at Watkins Glen in 1979.

There weren't any chicanes at Watkins Glen in 1979.

What about trap doors, secret passages or a system of mirrors?

At such a young age, I never got a chance to witness 1 of Schumi's spectacular wet weather drives giving him the name Rainmaster (or as DOF would prefer Rudolf Coracciola) so I have to vote for other being Vettel but Sutil does perform well in the wet too!

Its George.

What about trap doors, secret passages or a system of mirrors?

None. He was just a BAMF.

None. He was just a BAMF.

Poor Jaques Grandmother.

Danica!

I don't know. I've been watching since 2006. So I'd have to say the best I've seen is Vettel (because the only time I saw Schumi in the wet was Hungary 06 when the Bridgestones weren't particularly good, and Alonso's not been so good in the wet after that race, in my opinion).

And to prove how tired I am, when I first saw a glimpse of this thread, I thought the name was "Who Has Wet Dreams Ever?" which made me check who started it, and when I saw it wasn't El Maestro, I realized I must've read something wrong.

Danica!

I don't know. I've been watching since 2006. So I'd have to say the best I've seen is Vettel (because the only time I saw Schumi in the wet was Hungary 06 when the Bridgestones weren't particularly good, and Alonso's not been so good in the wet after that race, in my opinion).

And to prove how tired I am, when I first saw a glimpse of this thread, I thought the name was "Who Has Wet Dreams Ever?" which made me check who started it, and when I saw it wasn't El Maestro, I realized I must've read something wrong.

:lol:

Danica!

Both hamilton and Alonso have had good wet races (just 2 examples- for Hamilton is British GP last yr, Alonso in European GP 2007)

What about Vettel's drives @ Italy 2008 & China 2009?

China 2007, Spa 2008, and Brazil 2008 are other good performances that I can remember from him. He didn't do any good in the last Malaysian GP though.

He was on inters in Malaysia though. Pity for the bad call, but Red Bull didn't know...

Button is certainly among the best wet weather drivers on the current grid. Definitely can be ranked alongside Alonso, Hamilton and Vettel. However where he really excels is on inters on a drying track i.e Hungary 06. He was really quite stunning that day!

I would also say Sutil is very capable in the wet! He is also gay!

Best I have ever seen is Schumi by some margin. But I don't know how much of that is down to TC.

Best today? Vettel, cause he hasn't made as many mistakes as the others. But he will, soon enough.

Japan last year was another good Hamilton wet one.

Perhaps though his performance last week only showed that it is the car and not the driver that makes the difference in the wet.

I agree car makes the difference, so does the settings.(I mean stuffs like more downforce etc etc)

MS drives in Spain 96 and Spa 97 were beyond belief, early in his career you know he would have an advantage on a wet track. Same with Airton who has had dominant drives in the rain in lesser cars. Senna's advantage on a wet track was probably greater compared to the competition, the cars were less forgiving at the time. Come grooved tire cars, different tire companies and hidden TC the drivers seemed to play a lesser role, Schumacher was not all that dominant in rain later in his career. For the same reason I have a hard time rating Alonso. Hamilton has inconsistent behavior on the wet. Doing great for 5 laps and then losing all the time won by going off or by an overambitious manoevre, he has almost video-game behavior on a wet track. Although an MS fan I would have to say the easier choice is Senna. 94 season would have been such a great comparison....