Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Quiet One

Ron Dennis Resigns As Mclarens Ceo

We already mentioned it in some other thread. I am not posting any of the many articles about it, they are everywhere.

I might not be the biggest of Ron's fans, quite the contrary, and I of course have my view on all this. However, I am a fan of some of the posters in here who I know will regret his departure.

As in light of recent events these threads tend to go ugly, I guess no one wanted to really comment on this. But I think that it is only fitting that the poeple who enjoyed the illustrious history of McLaren in F1 have a thread to pay tribute to the good side of Ron. There's always time to talk about the ugly side at some other moment.

He certainly helped define an era in F1. A thread about his achievements is due.

As a personal favor, I ask all the Ron haters (me included) to keep this thread clean.

I like Ron, because Bernie and Max hated him. So he can't be all bad.

I hated this smug pr**k. His jokes about Kubica were very close to personal attacks, and his self-assured smirk when talking about the Golden Boy were infurating. Not to mention that he always appeared very sure of being superior in every way to anybody he was talking to or about.

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

End of an era. His record speaks for itself. A consumate professional.

I liked Ron, and I'm a little bit saddened by the state McLaren have got themselves into!

Love him or hate him, you can't not have massive respect for his achievements at Mclaren. He started as a junior mechanic (I think) and look where he got to. The deals he got (senna, prost, honda, mercedes) and the fact that mclaren were always at or near the front for the last 2 decades, show what an incredible team boss he was. Look at the mclaren technology centre which he oversaw, and the various branches of the mclaren group which he has formed.

By 2011 he wants the first pure mclaren road car to be launched.

He'll be Sir Ron in no time. Just like Frank Williams, Colin Chapman and a few more, he is an F1 legend.

HIs retirement from F1 comes 3 years too late. His career would look much better without last three seasons (2007-09).

Anyhow - remarkable chap :)

No more Ron? But who wil Maure blame now?!

Crying.gif

:lol:

'F1 champignon' has never been more appropriate, Flav!

Love him or hate him, you can't not have massive respect for his achievements at Mclaren. He started as a junior mechanic (I think) and look where he got to. The deals he got (senna, prost, honda, mercedes) and the fact that mclaren were always at or near the front for the last 2 decades, show what an incredible team boss he was. Look at the mclaren technology centre which he oversaw, and the various branches of the mclaren group which he has formed.

By 2011 he wants the first pure mclaren road car to be launched.

He'll be Sir Ron in no time. Just like Frank Williams, Colin Chapman and a few more, he is an F1 legend.

Ron's was the ultimate rags to riches story. He arrived with nothing. He steps down as the most successful team principal of the last 30 years. Dennis helped make the sport we follow what it is, the good and the bad. I for one think he had a better influence on it than any other key player in modern times: Bernie, Max, Balestre, Flavio, Todt etc, with the most debatable exception of Sir Frank.

Despite his infamous and slightly amusing logical demeanour, he clearly was driven by an intense passion for motor racing that brought the best and sometimes the worst out of him. His passion lead to the greatest success in the sport and the ambition to pair the best drivers in the world and let them battle it out in his cars, eschewing the winner-picking that other teams identified as being in their best interests. Sometimes emotion got the better of him, and sometimes ambition o'er-leaped itself, leading to the obvious accusations of favouritism and cheating. But I see him as a fundamentally honourable person in the moral quicksand that is F1, who embodied the good and the bad aspects of the sport as well as anyone.

Ron's was the ultimate rags to riches story. He arrived with nothing. He steps down as the most successful team principal of the last 30 years. Dennis helped make the sport we follow what it is, the good and the bad. I for one think he had a better influence on it than any other key player in modern times: Bernie, Max, Balestre, Flavio, Todt etc, with the most debatable exception of Sir Frank.

Despite his infamous and slightly amusing logical demeanour, he clearly was driven by an intense passion for motor racing that brought the best and sometimes the worst out of him. His passion lead to the greatest success in the sport and the ambition to pair the best drivers in the world and let them battle it out in his cars, eschewing the winner-picking that other teams identified as being in their best interests. Sometimes emotion got the better of him, and sometimes ambition o'er-leaped itself, leading to the obvious accusations of favouritism and cheating. But I see him as a fundamentally honourable person in the moral quicksand that is F1, who embodied the good and the bad aspects of the sport as well as anyone.

And you say I am getting too wise! :P

Good post Muzza!

HIs retirement from F1 comes 3 years too late. His career would look much better without last three seasons (2007-09).

Anyhow - remarkable chap :)

F1 would look better without the internet.

I heard he's working on the new supercar from McLaren, called the P11! I assume it'll be powered by a Zonda engine!

I heard he's working on the new supercar from McLaren, called the P11! I assume it'll be powered by a Zonda engine!

I assume Zonda is powered by Mercedes engines. :P

No Danny boy....its going to be mostly powered by another V8.

:thbup: Bye Dennis,although these last years haven't been the best for him, he's achieved a lot and he has been a key part of the legendary Mclaren F1. I started to have interest in F1 with Hakkinen, then Raikkonen (of course then Alonso appeared :wub: and he stole my heart and everybody's,but that's another story :P ) so Dennis has always been someone I have respected. He hasn't been one of the funniests or more spectacular personalities in F1 but he has worked a lot no doubt and he's been one of the big names of the sport. Good luck with his next project!

I assume Zonda is powered by Mercedes engines. :P

No Danny boy....its going to be mostly powered by another V8.

You never new Zonda's had Merc engines???? BTW, twin supercharged, bio-fuel fuelled Koenigsegg CCXR 5.0L V8!

Anyone saying good riddance are idiots! Your all entitled to your opinions but to say good riddance to a man who acheived so much, and did so much in F1 is wrong and you should apologise. Now I may not be his biggest fan as I'm not a McLaren fan but I did like him, and he deserves a damn huge amount of respect!

None of this negates a fact that he was a total and complete smug Pr**k. I bet Hamilton will become a nicer guy without him.