Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Insider

Briatore Remarks Scandalous

Interesting post! You're right that the field is closer this season: we should thank Max's restrictions on car design for making the driver more relevant. But it's still not enough imho because, as Spitfire points out, the best drivers have been left helpless and floundering without a decent car this season. And there might be fewer Sennas around today, but there might also be fewer Michael Andrettis and Pedro Dinizs. In other words, the drivers are more professional on average now and all of a reasonably high standard. (Edit: so it's harder for the best drivers to shine because the rest are still capable of winning races in a better car.)

On the less important point of Alonso 'driving the wheels off his crappy Renault', he has some modifications this race, and he has a very light fuel load. It's a bit too early to say it's a good job well done just yet, though he no doubt is doing better than Kimi or Felipe as you say. Piquet doesn't have all the changes, and frankly I can't imagine anyone is really keen to go to Renault to be Alonso's backup.

Weight difference says it all.

Only Alonso and Lewis has shown that type of promise. Kimi and Felipe haven't, either the Ferrari is THAT bad which I refuse to believe or they aren't as good drivers as first thought. I cant see Kimi sticking around any longer. He just doesn't seem to care anymore...

I think KR has done a decent job so far this weekend, considering his fuel load, no KERS and no diffuser and just a slow car overall. He has admitted that he lost his motivation last season, but I think he can still win a championship given the right car. I don't think the Ferrari car is THAT bad, however a silly mistake in Australia and the stupid strategy in Malaysia made KR and the car look worse than it actually was. I think Ferrari is definitely capable of a podium finish if they execute their strategies a little more wisely.

Nope. The "levelling the field" rules for this year suck big time. Let's see: budget cap, but forcing the teams to do lots of r&d expenditures. KERS, but capped, so nobody knows whether its useful or not. Number of engines capped. Expect to see lots of conservative driving as the season moves forward and engines start to look really scarce. Tire choice, with a tire cap and a rule that ensures that you will never get the most out of your tires, it's just another gamble. Wing adjusting, capped. No testing, means most of the teams are just stumbling in the dark.

In short, lots of new stuff, which is then nerfed down. This makes F1 not easier but a lot harder to understand for newcomers, now it is more in the hands of engineers than ever, and even engineers are totally clueless as you can tell.

Yeah it's harder for newcomers to understand but that's not so bad is it? I'm recommending to the WMSC that for 2010 we ban newcomers altogether. Most of them are probably Button or Vettel glory supporters and will soon sign up to the anyone-but-Hamilton support group, which meets every Sunday evening to offer counselling.

I think engineers having to gamble is a good thing! That's real science where you don't know the answer and have to figure it out as you go along - before anyone else does. Pine not for the days when Ferrari could tell you what lap they'd pit on during the year after next's race and, instead, enjoy watching the boffins race to understand everything. It's quite good this way because, without testing, and with so many changes, we see them experimenting in public and we see who gets it right, and why. At least much more than we used to. From a technical point of view, it's been the most interesting championship I can remember.

I agree 100% here.

:eusa_think: Funny, I can't spot my mistake yet.

This is a good example. Renault working on some contraption overnight and shipping the parts to be attached to Alonso's Renault with no actual idea on whether they would work or not. We still don't know as they could be eventually harmful for his pace during the race. If they had put these new parts on Piquet's car and he still failed to deliver you could have said "well, poor Nelsinho is being used as a guinea pig". And you would be right, too. Basically, with no testing, no wind tunnel, and all this KERS/Difusser/Tire choice mish mash, things could go great (RBR) or awfully wrong (BMW)...and this has nothing to do with Kubica's or Vettel's actual differences in skills.

But it was ever thus surely. Ferrari would have a dominant car one race, or one season, and McLaren the next. It seems to me there are 2 key differences this season. The cars are generally more equal in performance, and which one is better changes from race to race. Take any 2 cars and consider the difference in lap times between them. Compared to last season, the gap between the cars is usually smaller, and it is more likely to alternate between favouring one team and then the other at different races. So the end result is that, averaged over the whole season, the cars are much more equal for the drivers. But at any given race (and indeed over the whole season) the engineers are still much more important than the drivers, I agree - I just think that that was always the case.

Weight difference says it all.

Yup. Alonso said earlier this week he was concerned that Bridgestone weren't supporting him enough. He thought he might look stupid in front of the fans when he gets the same tyres as everyone else. He got very upset so Renault are probably in keep-Alonso-happy mode. I heard Nelsinho has to carry both KERS devices as extra ballast.

Alonso's fastest time in Q2 was just 0.5 seconds faster than his final run in Q3, which goes to show how light that car is on fuel. compare that to others who had at least a clear 1 second difference between Q2 and Q3 timings. Expect him to pit within 10 - 13 laps and maybe even a 3 pit strategy for a v short sprint on the super softs.

If I had anything to do with Renault, I would be deeply embarrassed by those ridiculous comment. What a wank.

If I had anything to do with Renault, I would be deeply embarrassed by those ridiculous comment. What a wank.

Pat Symonds already went to say that they had lots of respect for Button. Nobody takes Flav too seriously. On the other hand, his moves inside FOTA against BGP are the ones to worry about (if you support BGP, that is). But...I don't even know whether he is actually wrong on that one...

Pat Symonds already went to say that they had lots of respect for Button. Nobody takes Flav too seriously. On the other hand, his moves inside FOTA against BGP are the ones to worry about (if you support BGP, that is). But...I don't even know whether he is actually wrong on that one...

I found this quite interesting http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport...one/8003667.stm

The interesting bit there is that RB told them last season that the rear of the car was open to interpretation. That's if it's true of course.

I found this quite interesting http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport...one/8003667.stm

The interesting bit there is that RB told them last season that the rear of the car was open to interpretation. That's if it's true of course.

I have to believe in either Ross Brawn or Flavio Briatore? Ermm...thanks but no, thanks :P

I have to believe in either Ross Brawn or Flavio Briatore? Ermm...thanks but no, thanks :P

No you have to believe Mike Gascoyne :lol:

No you have to believe Mike Gascoyne :lol:

:lol:

Anyways, weather Ross cheated or not, he didn't get down to Flavio's level. Who knows if Flavio is going to look like an arse if Nando moves to Brawn Gp just like he moved to Mclaren withouth Flavio's Knowledge! :D

Anyways, weather Ross cheated or not, he didn't get down to Flavio's level. Who knows if Flavio is going to look like an arse if Nando moves to Brawn Gp just like he moved to Mclaren withouth Flavio's Knowledge! :D

That's why Flav can say those things. Because he will look like an arse, either way. :lol:

Of course, after Heidi and Naomi, I don't think he even cares what he looks like.

I like Flav. He speaks his mind despite any repercussions (e.g. making himself look stupid) and even if he is way too stereotypically Italian he's a fun character, a smart guy, and F1 is much the better for him.

Of course his comments in this case, while hilarious, are the result of sour grapes. Saying that, there is an element of truth in his comments, that is the championship is not being fought by the best drivers [that's my opinion right there, and only JB himself can change it, starting with a win from 5th tomorrow].

Some classic comebacks from Frank and Ross :-

After likening Jenson Button's pace to that of a concrete post, Flavio Briatore then said a Chinese taxi driver would do a better job than Ross Brawn of heading FOTA's technical committee.

Asked if he had a rejoinder to the Renault boss, Brawn said: "I think change the medication!"

Sir Frank Williams, meanwhile, amusingly responded to Briatore's anger about the diffuser affair.

"Flavio would not recognise a diffuser even it is were stuffed with money," he quipped.

After likening Jenson Button's pace to that of a concrete post, Flavio Briatore then said a Chinese taxi driver would do a better job than Ross Brawn of heading FOTA's technical committee.

Asked if he had a rejoinder to the Renault boss, Brawn said: "I think change the medication!"

Sir Frank Williams, meanwhile, amusingly responded to Briatore's anger about the diffuser affair.

"Flavio would not recognise a diffuser even it is were stuffed with money," he quipped.

:lol: fantastic Frank!

That's why Flav can say those things. Because he will look like an arse, either way. :lol:

Of course, after Heidi and Naomi, I don't think he even cares what he looks like.

You missed one from Bernie: "I didn't read the FOTA association letters because my dog always ate them before I could get them in the shredder."

I think KR has done a decent job so far this weekend, considering his fuel load, no KERS and no diffuser and just a slow car overall. He has admitted that he lost his motivation last season, but I think he can still win a championship given the right car. I don't think the Ferrari car is THAT bad, however a silly mistake in Australia and the stupid strategy in Malaysia made KR and the car look worse than it actually was. I think Ferrari is definitely capable of a podium finish if they execute their strategies a little more wisely.

This weekend he's done ok but,

3 races and still no points...

To me he's not doing a decent job overall.