Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

la force supreme des mclaren

Mclaren Handed Suspended Ban

McLaren has been given a suspended three-race ban for bringing the sport into disrepute after lying to stewards at the Australian and Malaysian Grands Prix.

Following a hearing of the FIA World Motor Sport Council in Paris on Wednesday, the governing body announced that since McLaren had admitted to the offences and made clear that there had been a change of 'culture' at the team, it has suspended the sentence that it deemed appropriate.

A statement issued by the FIA said: "Having regard to the open and honest way in which McLaren Team Principal, Mr Martin Whitmarsh, addressed the WMSC and the change in culture which he made clear has taken place in his organisation, the WMSC decided to suspend the application of the penalty it deems appropriate.

"That penalty is a suspension of the team from three races of the FIA Formula One World Championship. This will only be applied if further facts emerge regarding the case or if, in the next 12 months, there is a further breach by the team of article 151c of the International Sporting Code."

McLaren had been called before the WMSC to answer charges relating to former sporting director Dave Ryan and Lewis Hamilton lying to stewards about whether an order had been given to let Jarno Trulli overtake the world champion at the Australian Grand Prix.

The team was only found to have lied when radio transmissions, and copies of interviews Hamilton had given to the press immediately after the hearing came to light.

In the wake of the events, McLaren sacked Ryan and team principal Whitmarsh wrote a letter of apology to the governing body. Furthermore, former team boss Ron Dennis announced that he was stepping away totally from the F1 team in a move not unconnected to the matter - despite claims from Dennis otherwise.

Whitmarsh chose to appear at the FIA hearing in Paris alone, staying for less than an hour to apologise for all that had happened.

Speaking to reporters on the steps of the FIA building, Whitmarsh said: "We've made mistakes, we've apologised to the FIA and the public. We await the decision."

When asked if he hoped today's events would mark the end of the affair, he said: "I very much hope so."

Source:autosport

................................................................................

I think it's a fair punishment.........thank god mclaren don't use e-mail anymore........now about those twitter accounts.....

I think it's a fair punishment.........thank god mclaren don't use e-mail anymore........now about those twitter accounts.....

The lack of punishment is fair punishment?

How is this punishment different from what would given to another team/driver if they did the same?

Or is it, perhaps, that the "first" round of lies is free for everyone?

:rofl:

How did I know you'd say that. Anyway, Dennis has left Ryan has left and Lewis's reputation has taken a further hit, so it's not all good news for McLaren.

How did I know you'd say that. Anyway, Dennis has left Ryan has left and Lewis's reputation has taken a further hit, so it's not all good news for McLaren.

:lol: Sorry, I am kind of busy at work so my reply was shorter than intended. Yes, that would have been the second part of my reply.

It was a joke of a punishment from FIA's side. Under that light, the dismissal of Ryan and Ron, plus Lewis and Whitmarsh's loss of respect, compensates for it (I guess that was really what placated the FIA's rage). In any case, whatever happened to McLaren, they brought it up on themselves. They could consider themselves lucky that the FIA practically let them chose their own punishment.

And why should cheaters get any good news?

The joke.

What punishment? There is no punishment, people.

FIA has decided that LYING TO DISQUALIFY ANOTHER DRIVER AND STEAL A PODIUM IS OK... as long as it is McLaren and Hamilton doing the ugly deed.

This is not unlike what happened with the spying business the first time around. If FIA can, they let these crooks get away with _everything_.

Have to wonder how McLaren and Hamilton would react if another driver/team did the same thing to them. They certainly deserve it.

Again: FIA didn't impose any serious penalty to McLaren. We agree. OTOH, the saga costed Ron Dennis career, David Ryan's career, and Whitmarsh and Hamilton will be hardly regarded as "role models" by anybody outside the cossa nostra. THAT is the penalty that they chose for themselves and which FIA apparently considered enough.

In that sense, they were lucky.

FIA has decided that LYING TO DISQUALIFY ANOTHER DRIVER AND STEAL A PODIUM IS OK... as long as it is McLaren and Hamilton doing the ugly deed.

This is not unlike what happened with the spying business the first time around. If FIA can, they let these crooks get away with _everything_.

Have to wonder how McLaren and Hamilton would react if another driver/team did the same thing to them. They certainly deserve it.

:snigger:

The lack of punishment is fair punishment?

How is this punishment different from what would given to another team/driver if they did the same?

Or is it, perhaps, that the "first" round of lies is free for everyone?

wow...failure to detect sarcasm.........I blame Ron and Mclaren for screwing long enough with maure's head.......please......i apologise on their behalf. -_-

wow...failure to detect sarcasm.........I blame Ron and Mclaren for screwing long enough with maure's head.......please......i apologise on their behalf. -_-

Funny that you speak of "failure to detect sarcasm"...

Conditional discharge I see. Macca better behave for the next 12 months, otherwise the WMSC can obliterate them (as they will take into account this incident as well as any new ones).

I think they have learnt their lesson though. I guess the major mitigating factors were Macca's response: loss of Dennis, Ryan etc.

I think the penalty is the best one for the sport.

Conditional discharge I see. Macca better behave for the next 12 months, otherwise the WMSC can obliterate them (as they will take into account this incident as well as any new ones).

I think they have learnt their lesson though. I guess the major mitigating factors were Macca's response: loss of Dennis, Ryan etc.

I think the penalty is the best one for the sport.

I am not sure this whole saga was for the best of sport, but I think that the total discredit of both the FIA and McLaren reached to a point of equilibrium: McLaren couldn't maintain the "we are innocent nuns raped by the perverted FIA authorities" act, and FIA just couldn't come with a proper punishment, as they are scarcely regarded as an impartial power.

In the end, I guess the Maccas coudln't fall any lower, and FIA couldn't rise any higher to punish them.

I only hope they both can improve from here.

Well they had their points from Australia taken away as a punishment and obviously the FIA believes it was enough, so they got a suspended sentence!

Mind you, if the sentence for whatever reason comes into effect, they will suffer big time and may lose everything for this year and possibly sponsors etc.

I don't expect something like this to happen though!

Indeed it is not good for the sport (the whole saga) but the lack of a draconian penalty is a good thing imo (and probably Mclaren's :lol: ).

Mosley says it best > "We think it's entirely fair. They've demonstrated there's a complete culture change and under those circumstances it's better to put the whole thing behind us". (Source)

Definitely better to put it in the past. I hope both improve too, there is some evidence that Mclaren have already (or at least evidence that they want to be seen as changing :eusa_think: ).

I guess the hearing went like this:

Whitmarsh: "We are deeply sorry, we do not know how this have happened. We are 100% commited to honesty and fair play..."

WSMC member #1: "Awww cut the crap already! Nobody believes you and we are all sick of this! I am late for my Wednesday's Animist Hip Hop Albinos-only Orgy!"

WSMC member #2: "Yeah...whatever...let's vote"

Well they had their points from Australia taken away as a punishment and obviously the FIA believes it was enough, so they got a suspended sentence!

Mind you, if the sentence for whatever reason comes into effect, they will suffer big time and may lose everything for this year and possibly sponsors etc.

I don't expect something like this to happen though!

The thing is that these same guys got fined $100 million for, among other things, lying through their teeth. In fact, they were not kicked out of F1 because of a "full admission of guilt" letter.

Obviously McLaren didn't learn from that "mistake" or that penalty.

It's a lost cause.