Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HandyNZL

Bernie Threatens Slashing Teams Money

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_new...es_art_id=37749

Pitpass is reporting that he intends sending teams a take it or leave it letter re money and Concorde Agreements....but what caught my eye was the last sentence...that F1 puts brands on the frontpage...which got me thinking about F1 and sponsors...

Have you ever bought or used something that an F1 team is sponsored with, only ever after seeing it on an F1 car / racetrack bollard?

Has anyone got wiiiings now, but never before? Anyone using Vodafone solely because they came to F1? Anyone bought a Lenovo computer because you saw their name plastered on one of Frankies cars? Anyone ridden a virgin before Branson came to F1?

Childish behaviour.

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_new...es_art_id=37749

Pitpass is reporting that he intends sending teams a take it or leave it letter re money and Concorde Agreements....but what caught my eye was the last sentence...that F1 puts brands on the frontpage...which got me thinking about F1 and sponsors...

Have you ever bought or used something that an F1 team is sponsored with, only ever after seeing it on an F1 car / racetrack bollard?

Has anyone got wiiiings now, but never before? Anyone using Vodafone solely because they came to F1? Anyone bought a Lenovo computer because you saw their name plastered on one of Frankies cars? Anyone ridden a virgin before Branson came to F1?

Actually I've considered buying Bridgestone Potenza's. Road version has nothing to do with F1 slicks or grooves but I liked the name and the fact they are in F1. In the end I've bought Michelin's though :D

Nope. You'd have to be pretty daft to buy something just because it appeared in F1. For me it would even work the other way. I bought a spare Mercedes for Thursdays once but gave it back in disgust after the liegate scandal.

“They shouldn’t get the prize money,” the 78-year-old is quoted as having said by the Financial Times. “They (the teams) want to be paid in the same manner as if they had agreed to be committed for five years, but they don’t want to be committed.

“We are now running more of a cash-on-delivery service. You sign the contract and we will pay you in full. We should revert back to the deal we originally had, and they can go where they like. We should be paying a lot less to the teams and charging the circuits a lot less.”

Indeed, Ecclestone explained that the money saved could be put to better use in bringing down the cost for circuits of hosting grands prix – with many European and western countries currently struggling to retain their spots on the calendar with a raft of nations in the Middle and Far East willing to pay over and above the odds for the honour and prestige of welcoming the world’s most glamorous sport, and one that is regularly watched on TV by some 600 million viewers worldwide.

China, Singapore and Bahrain have all joined the calendar in recent years, with Abu Dhabi, India and South Korea all either on the schedule or in the pipeline for the near future, whilst the French Grand Prix, US Grand Prix and Canadian Grand Prix have all disappeared and the German Grand Prix looks perilous at best. The average annual fee to host a grand prix is reckoned to be $23.7 million.

(source http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/30042009/23/...rize-money.html )

Well that's at least slightly encouraging. I'm pleased to see him mentioning the possibility of lowering the circuit fees. I don't know whether he's actually committed to it, but this is the first sign I've seen that he is even aware of the problem.

Nope. You'd have to be pretty daft to buy something just because it appeared in F1.

You're right, Murray, but Handy asked the wrong question...it's not getting you to just go out and buy as much as it is to consider it...once you do your research (if you have to, obviously something like a car), they'll do their job of winning you over, but if you never saw that ad on track, you never would've considered a Renault something-or-other. It also helps in standing out among competitors...if you're at a store, and you see two brands of beer, and you like both, and one sponsors an F1 car...you'll be more apt to buy it. If you weren't, I doubt anyone would be sponsoring.

As for me, not in F1, no...partially because I don't really care about "helping out" and partially because the only brands available in the US are cars, or products I have no interest in/can't afford (all that technology stuff), or they're at&t, which has the hands down worst coverage in my region. I have supported a few NASCAR brands that I learned about through NASCAR close to a decade ago when I really enjoyed that sport (namely making my daddy buy a pack of Interstate double A batteries because they sponsored Bobby Labonte, I was like 6 or 7) and shop at Dollar General when I'm outside of New England to support Sarah Fisher and her IndyCar deal, but other than that, no...

But it has introduced me to a lot of brands that I didn't know about, and I have Googled some of the names I never heard of, and that has at least gotten their name out there...and you never know. I think if I could, I'd support some more "little things" that aren't important/inexpensive, but KFC doesn't sponsor an F1 car, and neither does Francis Farm Clambakes, etc, etc. The sponsors' don't enter F1 with the goal of getting US American minors to support their brands, so I'm probably not the best to ask.

(source http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/30042009/23/...rize-money.html )

Well that's at least slightly encouraging. I'm pleased to see him mentioning the possibility of lowering the circuit fees. I don't know whether he's actually committed to it, but this is the first sign I've seen that he is even aware of the problem.

Agreed. That'd be nice. But...you can't have races without teams :P

(Not like I think we're going to lose many of either whichever way this goes).

You're right, Murray, but Handy asked the wrong question...it's not getting you to just go out and buy as much as it is to consider it...once you do your research (if you have to, obviously something like a car), they'll do their job of winning you over, but if you never saw that ad on track, you never would've considered a Renault something-or-other. It also helps in standing out among competitors...if you're at a store, and you see two brands of beer, and you like both, and one sponsors an F1 car...you'll be more apt to buy it. If you weren't, I doubt anyone would be sponsoring.

As for me, not in F1, no...partially because I don't really care about "helping out" and partially because the only brands available in the US are cars, or products I have no interest in/can't afford (all that technology stuff), or they're at&t, which has the hands down worst coverage in my region. I have supported a few NASCAR brands that I learned about through NASCAR close to a decade ago when I really enjoyed that sport (namely making my daddy buy a pack of Interstate double A batteries because they sponsored Bobby Labonte, I was like 6 or 7) and shop at Dollar General when I'm outside of New England to support Sarah Fisher and her IndyCar deal, but other than that, no...

But it has introduced me to a lot of brands that I didn't know about, and I have Googled some of the names I never heard of, and that has at least gotten their name out there...and you never know. I think if I could, I'd support some more "little things" that aren't important/inexpensive, but KFC doesn't sponsor an F1 car, and neither does Francis Farm Clambakes, etc, etc. The sponsors' don't enter F1 with the goal of getting US American minors to support their brands, so I'm probably not the best to ask.

Yup. I agree with all that. You've an old head on 16 year old shoulders. If only young, wrinkle-free heads sponsored F1 cars. :P

The sponsors' don't enter F1 with the goal of getting US American minors to support their brands, so I'm probably not the best to ask.

Ooh I dunno Durex sponsored a car once :)

Just ask Pabloh, he was a teen then and blew a year's pocket money on them. That's what lead to his career making balloon animals (well he had to get rid of them somehow) :D

Just ask Pabloh, he was a teen then and blew a year's pocket money on them. That's what lead to his career making balloon animals (well he had to get rid of them somehow) :D

:lol:

I always wondered how many tic tac candies they had to sell to pay for those one-inch size logos on the Ferraris. And I can't imagine somebody saying "Hey! I will buy some tic tacs...if they are good enough to be on Schumi's car then they should taste good, right?"

Personally, I only bought them because they made for easy assimilation if anally introduced.

:lol:

Mind you, it must have been a hell of a shock for you upgrading from a sheeps' bladder to a durex :whistling:

:) Ah true. I wouldn't mind but the sheep was still attached :D

Did you do a separate reply for all the times you've had sex?? :lol:

I'll get flossie to come round :D

post-2532-1241127838_thumb.jpg

How the hell did you get a picture of mrs drib?