Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HandyNZL

Fia 2010 Rules

I've posted this elswhere in the forum but I believe it is relevant here too. Boo me off the stage if you believe otherwise.

As there has been no consultation with the teams, other than the agreement to provide drivetrains at a reasonable cost and then, only under the threat of a standard engine being introduced, the FIA are basically pulling these numbers out of the air. Of course, there was huge and unnecessary excess throughout the sport but most of the teams have reigned their spending in already. They now know what they need to invest to race competitively and and that combined data should have become the basis of the FIA's benchmark.

As I've said before - I already think they're hobbling the current teams too much. If they want to limit them to making cars that are competitive only with 40 million cars (un-molested by restrictions) then it shows how low Bernie and Max want to go in order to make money for their own pockets - let's not pretend this is about anything other than that obvious bottom line.

There should be 3 standardised features in the F1 rule book and ONLY 3 (that I can think of)...

i) a standardised, safe monoc#ck, helmets and driver's gear and wheel teathers

ii) max length, width and height of car

iii) standard fuel

rule ii can be broken only when crashing (i.e. no firing of weapons, but exploding on impact with a barrier would be fair enough) ;)

Let them design whatever they want within those simple restrictions and go racing.

Loopholeisterics could be easily made happy (without many rules, it's easier to make them watertight)

Those who love design and engineering would be in heaven - just imagine the variety of ideas.

Those who like racing would love it - it would rerally be the fastest thing on the road that would win.

Possibly the only people who would complain would be those who insist on following a driver and would whinge if their driver was given a crap car by their team. Tough. I say - if you're that good, find a different team. And if you want to watch a series where all drivers are given equal cars, then watch a spec series - there are plenty to choose from.

Oh - just thought of no 4

iv) Some quantfiable limit to turbulance left behind at a range of speeds.

As I've said before - I already think they're hobbling the current teams too much. If they want to limit them to making cars that are competitive only with 40 million cars (un-molested by restrictions) then it shows how low Bernie and Max want to go in order to make money for their own pockets - let's not pretend this is about anything other than that obvious bottom line.

There should be 3 standardised features in the F1 rule book and ONLY 3 (that I can think of)...

i) a standardised, safe monoc#ck, helmets and driver's gear and wheel teathers

ii) max length, width and height of car

iii) standard fuel

rule ii can be broken only when crashing (i.e. no firing of weapons, but exploding on impact with a barrier would be fair enough) ;)

Let them design whatever they want within those simple restrictions and go racing.

Loopholeisterics could be easily made happy (without many rules, it's easier to make them watertight)

Those who love design and engineering would be in heaven - just imagine the variety of ideas.

Those who like racing would love it - it would rerally be the fastest thing on the road that would win.

Possibly the only people who would complain would be those who insist on following a driver and would whinge if their driver was given a crap car by their team. Tough I say - if you're that good, find a different team.

Oh - just thought of no 4

iv) Some quantfiable limit to turbulance left behind at a range of speeds.

A few years back F1 Racing Magazine published an article on the premise of "what if there were no rules" and approached Williams to prepare some concepts and ideas for such a car. What they came up with was a 6x4 race car...ie two front steering wheels and four driving wheels at the back...of course ground effects etc was in, but so too were chimney stacks, though not all the winglets, as basically these had not even appeared on the real life cars at that point. I can't remember what the rear wing looked like, but Andres thinks it may have been a 2008 spec rear wing :P

Perhaps someone else remembers this issue, or has a link to the concept drawings of this car???

Boy - you're fast Handy!

I see the top 6 threads are all started by you and I'd only just made that post and gone back to edit it when you'd already replied.

In some ways it's comforting to have someone keeping the home fire burning. In others, I worry about you ;)

Question is - will you reply to this post before I've even written it? :)

Boy - you're fast Handy!

I see the top 6 threads are all started by you and I'd only just made that post and gone back to edit it when you'd already replied.

In some ways it's comforting to have someone keeping the home fire burning. In others, I worry about you ;)

Question is - will you reply to this post before I've even written it? :)

Ahh...but you see I am 12 hours ahead of most of the people around here...so whilst most are just waking up, schlurping their caffiene and settling in at work about to surf the net and google "things ralf schumacher did on his honeymoon", I am having dinner, watching some idiot box, or on here trying to answer your questions before you ask them :P

It appears that Ralf did nothing news worthy on his honeymoon.

Yes. I googled it.

:P

Actually heres a link to another of Patrick Heads designs.....and obviously the root to the concept car they drew up for F1 Racing Mag: http://www.autotrader.co.uk/EDITORIAL/CARS...SIDE/34167.html

yep - always loved that tyrrell - so fugly its lovely.

Ahh...but you see I am 12 hours ahead of most of the people around here...so whilst most are just waking up, schlurping their caffiene and settling in at work about to surf the net and google "things ralf schumacher did on his honeymoon", I am having dinner, watching some idiot box, or on here trying to answer your questions before you ask them :P
It appears that Ralf did nothing news worthy on his honeymoon.

Yes. I googled it.

:P

:D

FOTA meet today. The cap will be top of the agenda but Haug will be banging on about the 'winner take all' clause that the FIA snuck into the regs.

I await the press conference with trepidation.

FOTA Press release is as expected. They wish to urgently seek consultation with FOM and FIA over the new regs and Concorde Agreement. They are not happy bunnies. The war begins.

Ohhh....juicey!

These really are interesting times....will we see a CART/IRL type split, or will cooler heads prevail? Personalyy I care not for the fact it is the FIA F1 Championship....I care for it being the F1 Championship, in that the teams design, build and race their own cars, with a myriad of drivers and nationalities, engines and sponsors, racing on the best tracks in the world. If that means a breakaway series with McL, Ren, Fer, BMW and a few others, then that is the series I will watch, not some it's-not-really-a-spec-series series where operating costs are pegged so low that you have to use off the shelf parts.

Just read the release and Bernies response on pitpass. They do well to point out that Bernie demands much of the circuits etc. Can you say, "two-faced"?