Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HandyNZL

Fia 2010 Rules

Yep: 2 types of cars competing - cars as of now, with technical restrictions, no budget caps + budget capped cars with very few technical restrictions. Issue is that with two very different setups one type of car is going to wee all over the others so getting parity will be difficult.

Thank you very much.

I feel much better today :D

I also forgot about USF1 entering next year! My Predictions, Monty & Marco Andretti to be the drivers, if not Andretti, Romain Dumas or Scott Dixon!

Trust me, none of the four will drive. Montoya has already said about three times this year when asked about USF1 that he has no desire to ever return to Formula 1. Marco Andretti can't drive, and Peter Windsor said they'll only take Andretti "when he's ready," which isn't now, and probably never (considering the fact he struggles greatly on tracks with right turns and even The Danica beat him at Long Beach to finish fourth and had a lot more pace at St. Pete before Rafa Matos took her out with a move that did not reak of Lights and Atlantics champion, but he's a rookie, so he'll do these things from time to time). Dixon had a race seat offer from Williams in 2005-ish, but turned it down; he's not going anywhere. Romain Dumas...the team wants one American and one driver with F1 experience, he's neither (as is Dixon).

From what I've read, Alexander Rossi is 99.9% their reserve, the experienced racer is up in the air but Bourdais is at the top of their list (depending on availability), I've also heard Sato and Ralf linked to the team, and John Summerton is the only American candidate, therefore, he will get the ride (they were never seriously considering Danica or Kyle Busch, so the only drivers they were interested in were AJ Allmendinger, who just renewed his contract with Richard Petty Motorsports in NASCAR and has no interest in racing in F1, Scott Speed, who said there's no way he's ever going back, Marco Andretti, who Windsor doesn't feel is ready for F1, Conor Daly, who I always thought raced under the Irish flag but his father Derek Daly said he doesn't want Conor to go to F1 for a few more years and Windsor agreed, Josef Newgarden I haven't heard much about but I'm assuming Windsor thinks he, like Daly, will be good, but needs a few more years in bigger, faster cars over in Europe, and John Summerton...who Windsor has praised heavily over the last few months. You make the call. It's JS).

In short; they won't be very competitive. It's a bit of a non-story unless they find a way to make the organization last for a few more years when some of their "drivers for the future" are ready; if they live up to the expectations.

What I think is this kind of rules(sic) only to maintain Bernie and Max in power; trying to keep the small team happy because the big teams eventually will force Bernie and Max to leave the F1 and the $$$$$

In my opinion a very clear and long lasting set of rules will keep the budget down, moving the rules to react to the times instead of prevent.

for example the cars must run all weekend with 500 liters of fuel and will reduce this amount 5% a year for the next 10 years

The only rules to change from year to year are concerning safety thats all

I just hope Ferrari leaves F1. And that's coming from A BIG Ferrari fan. I just want to Max eat his words that F1 can survive without Ferrari. It may Survive in the way that it still runs 17 races a year and consists of Force India and 12 GP2 teams but Loosing Ferrari already means that Max will loose all of Italy as a TV audience. Plus, in 05 survays showed that about 40-45% of F1 Fans are Ferrari Fans, Just think of the overwhelming amount of red you always see in the grandstands.

even if that estimate of audience demographic is high, even if the real number is closer to 35%, that is still a third of all F1 fans that will stop watching the second Ferrari stop running. Race promoters will never make a profit again if over half of the seats they usually sell are empty.

And does anybody really think that a team that's capped at 60mill USD will be able to develop an engine that revs over 21.5k? Montoya ran at 21.5k in Quali in 2004, that year the bugent for the engine department for Mclaren was around 30 mill USD, that's half of the proposed cap.

The people I feel really sorry for are the drivers. Vettle, Kubi, Hamilton, All of them are suffering and having their skill undercut by the Stupidity of a Formula 2 Driver who's best finish was an 8th place in a non-championship race and a glorified personal assistant ro Rindt

The budget cap of $40m would prevent this anyway, not enough to pay for all the pies he would eat :D

:lol:

People laugh but Monty was ahead of his time: all that flubber dubber was movable ballast. He tucked his tummy in and let it all hang out through different parts of the track for those final few tenths of a second that make the difference between a winner and a loser... wait a sec.... that can't be right... Monty won right?

I just hope Ferrari leaves F1. And that's coming from A BIG Ferrari fan. I just want to Max eat his words that F1 can survive without Ferrari. It may Survive in the way that it still runs 17 races a year and consists of Force India and 12 GP2 teams but Loosing Ferrari already means that Max will loose all of Italy as a TV audience. Plus, in 05 survays showed that about 40-45% of F1 Fans are Ferrari Fans, Just think of the overwhelming amount of red you always see in the grandstands.

even if that estimate of audience demographic is high, even if the real number is closer to 35%, that is still a third of all F1 fans that will stop watching the second Ferrari stop running. Race promoters will never make a profit again if over half of the seats they usually sell are empty.

And does anybody really think that a team that's capped at 60mill USD will be able to develop an engine that revs over 21.5k? Montoya ran at 21.5k in Quali in 2004, that year the bugent for the engine department for Mclaren was around 30 mill USD, that's half of the proposed cap.

The people I feel really sorry for are the drivers. Vettle, Kubi, Hamilton, All of them are suffering and having their skill undercut by the Stupidity of a Formula 2 Driver who's best finish was an 8th place in a non-championship race and a glorified personal assistant ro Rindt

F1 will wither on the vine without Ferrari. This is a voluntary cap. The teams need to stay united and NOT sign up. I doubt Max can make it a regulation with their full approval anyway.

I am not fond of bringing back tire wars. F1 is too tire dependent. I don't want yet another championship were 70% of a car's performance is due to the tire performance. If your tire manufacturer doesn't deliver, your season is pretty much over.

I am all for unrestricted choice of tires, though.

And I wish they would just stop meddling with the rules every ****ing year.

The new rules point to directions: one to reduce costs; the other to give more importance to drivers. Only good driver can handle a car with different fuel loads during the race and save the tyres. The same for tyre warmers. I likew the announced new qualy rules since strategy for q3+race have no object cause entire world knows the fuel load...

another problem will arise with 2 tier system...

if one of the uncapped teams doesn't win, it will be obviously because they are being hobbled far too much by restrictions aimed at limiting their speed - they will compain like crazy having outspent their capped rivals massively to no end - I will have sympathy for them.

on the other hand, if the capped teams have no chance of actually winning, why bother?

the FIA is digging itself yet another huge gaping hole once again.

My view after 3 glasses of wine:

1) A two tier system is bizarre and doomed to failure.

2) Tire wars are boring and crappy.

3) More and more races will be decided in the courtroom as a result of all this messing around with the rules, particularly the budget caps.

4) F1 can live without Ferrari.

5) 26 cars might be fun.

6) I'm not watching Monaco anymore.

My view after 3 glasses of wine:

Comments from a reformed alcoholic.

1) A two tier system is bizarre and doomed to failure.

I agree

2) Tire wars are boring and crappy.

But tyre choice is good

3) More and more races will be decided in the courtroom as a result of all this messing around with the rules, particularly the budget caps.

I have said this and I can only agree

Try convincing the broadcasters - 1 in 3 viewers support the Scuderia

5) 26 cars might be fun.

Shed loads of back markers - just like the old days

6) I'm not watching Monaco anymore.

Sell the yacht then. Blame the credit squeeze!

2) Agree.

4) But we can't assume every Ferrari fan will immediately stop watching. There might be some who do so out of petulance, but I like to think a lot of them watch for the racing more than Ferrari being there. A one in ten loss sounds more realistic to me. Obviously I hope it never happens, but I reckon the idea that F1 can't survive without Ferrari is a dangerous falsehood to repeat- it's ideas like that that put us in the ludicrous position of giving Ferrari more TV revenue than all the other teams. Not terribly fair in my view. Anyway, that's another topic.

5) The main reason I like the idea of extra teams is because it gives more drivers a chance to drive. Maximum quali times again maybe?

6) You expect me to live like a peasant? I think not.

2) Agree.

4) But we can't assume every Ferrari fan will immediately stop watching. There might be some who do so out of petulance, but I like to think a lot of them watch for the racing more than Ferrari being there. A one in ten loss sounds more realistic to me. Obviously I hope it never happens, but I reckon the idea that F1 can't survive without Ferrari is a dangerous falsehood to repeat- it's ideas like that that put us in the ludicrous position of giving Ferrari more TV revenue than all the other teams. Not terribly fair in my view. Anyway, that's another topic.

5) The main reason I like the idea of extra teams is because it gives more drivers a chance to drive. Maximum quali times again maybe?

6) You expect me to live like a peasant? I think not.

4. I agree that it is rather ludicrous to think every Ferrari fan will stop watching F1 if the Scuderia withdraw. However, the broadcasters are paranoid and work entirely on surveys and polls - what we think is irrelevant. The advertisers operate the same way. BGP have brought a real feel good factor back to F1, for my money, and that can only be a positive thing . Back in the day, Lotus had the same vibe and attracted sponsors like horseflies before a storm. The Brawn effect should keep a lot of the Tifosi interested. Nonetheless, without the red cars, TV revenue will dilute and those who wish to continue under the current regime, will probably have little choice but to swallow the cap.

5. Max quali is a must or chaos will ensue

6. Hey! Whaddya gonna do? I lived in the old Claremont Resort hotel up in the hills for six months in 1978. Then moved over to Mill Valley for a year or two. The A's rool! I know you guys live like kings around there - bada bing!

You shall be hanged!!!!!!!! In all fairness though, you did have a few glasses of wine!

What if it is not only Ferrari, but also McM, BMW, Renault, Toyota, Red Bull?

Also Bernie is not willing to pay Honda prize Money to Brawn. 20 million is huge money for BGP. That is not likely to bring them to Bernie & Max pack of teams. Especially if they are doing well and being able to find sponsors to finance themselves until end of the season when huge prize money is due anyhow.

Does anyone know how they came to the $40 million figure?

Also how much are teams currently spending each year?

I really doubt a budget cap is enforceable to it's fullest extent, and what do you do if someone like ferrari/mclaren/williams/renault goes over budget? Get rid of them? I would love to see that...

I really doubt a budget cap is enforceable to it's fullest extent, and what do you do if someone like ferrari/mclaren/williams/renault goes over budget? Get rid of them? I would love to see that...

I think those guys should start their own show. They could get more money from commercial rights if they run it themselves than from Bernie. Bernie is extremely expensive, almost like a pimp fior whores :) Do you know any other business where manager takes 53% of the money and performers get 47%?

I think those guys should start their own show. They could get more money from commercial rights if they run it themselves than from Bernie. Bernie is extremely expensive, almost like a pimp fior whores :)Do you know any other business where manager takes 53% of the money and performers get 47%?

Bold 1. It's going to happen - it's just a matter of time.

Bold 2. Yeah, I worked in it in the '70s - it's called rock 'n roll!

6. Hey! Whaddya gonna do? I lived in the old Claremont Resort hotel up in the hills for six months in 1978. Then moved over to Mill Valley for a year or two. The A's rool! I know you guys live like kings around there - bada bing!

Mill Valley eh? Lucky you! I know guys who do have yachts who can't afford to live there.....

Mill Valley eh? Lucky you! I know guys who do have yachts who can't afford to live there.....

Like jenson? Give me a break! I was sleeping on Huey lewis's couch before he was famous! We were selling comics and yoghurt to buy food! In fact, the title of the album I had out then was 'Yachtless'! I was signed to a Bay Area label called Beserkley and yes, they were all nuts! Needless to say, it didn't make me rich.