Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

karlosb

Ayrton Senna

Ayrton Senna was a driver who actually contributed in making his/this sport great, not just a champion.

He still has more fans than today's drivers!

RIP Ayrton.

I'll just quote dribbler, from last year's anniversary thread.

The sickness of that day. Ah, it doesn't take much to get that feeling back. Scary really. I was 21. I remember getting angry with people who were not as bothered as me. I remember realising that even a genius behind the wheel like Ayrton can get it wrong. That realisation was akin to realising that your parents aren't pefect. It shook me. What? master of car control, dead? How does this affect my perception of infallibility? I genuinely started driving more carefully afterwards. It was the day i grew up in a a car. Senna was dead; If i continued to act like an arse on the road, i could be too. It suddenly dawned. Ayrton had helped me to grow up. There was a lesson. I should take heed.

Guys like Hendrix, Dean and Morrison were destined to become teen idols because they died early. But Ayrton was that man before he died. He had already established himself as that genius. I'm not religious, but Ayrton's belief and the fact that it drove him on to the dizzy heights he achieved makes me almost want to believe. His belief was part of his success, i loved his success, i loved him. Was i, an athiest, somehow buying into the notion of God? Not sure, don't think so. No. God was not doing it, Ayrton was. Balls out. Scary laps. Scary to him and us. Thoughtful and sensitive. Ruthless like Michael was afterwards but with a passion so deep. On the absolute edge of wherever the most incredible skill level and courage could take a man in a vehicle with four wheels. There he was.

Some sort of spiritual being that i can't quite describe without mentioning God again. There was something about that man, quite obviously.

The likes of him again? No way. Driving skill?, maybe. Achievement?, already surpassed.

The man? The myth? The legend? The soul?

Never.

I watched the documenty on the BBC Site earlier today and I'm hoping the BBC will show it on TV sometime in the next week

Senna, the GREATEST Driver of all time ... even in a Mazda road car he drives it like a F1 Car

I watched the documenty on the BBC Site earlier today and I'm hoping the BBC will show it on TV sometime in the next week

Senna, the GREATEST Driver of all time ... even in a Mazda road car he drives it like a F1 Car

Noop!