Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

5P33D3V1L

Vettel To Win The Championship?

19 members have voted

1. 1. Vettel for the Title?

• Definitely!
    • No Way!
    • Cars not quick enough.

How so? They have given him the tools, so it is down to him to win a race!

Well, I don't mean give him a gift win where Button pulls over, that'd be dumb, and I know RB would be very uncomfortable with it (since it did happen before at Ferrari), I meant that letting him be "number one" for a race and giving him the better car, better strategy, etc would be nice, assuming Button has a large points lead late in the season.

Well, I don't mean give him a gift win where Button pulls over, that'd be dumb, and I know RB would be very uncomfortable with it (since it did happen before at Ferrari), I meant that letting him be "number one" for a race and giving him the better car, better strategy, etc would be nice, assuming Button has a large points lead late in the season.

Barrichello was the quicker of the two all weekend, and had the optimum strategy however when it counted he let himself down. This was the easiest race for him to beat Button, and he didn't!

Barrichello was the quicker of the two all weekend, and had the optimum strategy however when it counted he let himself down. This was the easiest race for him to beat Button, and he didn't!

Yep, he didn't because of his crappy strategy.

Yep, he didn't because of his crappy strategy.

No!!!!!!!!! Tarnish Ross Brawn's team one more time and I'll never let you borrow Sonic & Knuckles for SEGA Genesis again!!!! And I'll tell mommy!!! We all know that Jenson Button actually pitted seventeen times and drove 51 seconds a lap faster than everyone and flatout beat Rubens who has been a bit drowsy since he started taking those Hair Club pills and fell asleep in the c#ckpit. Don't mess with the truth, Georgems...don't do it!

Word filter blocked out c#ckpit. I wonder what it does if I type circumstances?

Nothing, apparantly. Too bad.

No!!!!!!!!! Tarnish Ross Brawn's team one more time and I'll never let you borrow Sonic & Knuckles for SEGA Genesis again!!!! And I'll tell mommy!!! We all know that Jenson Button actually pitted seventeen times and drove 51 seconds a lap faster than everyone and flatout beat Rubens who has been a bit drowsy since he started taking those Hair Club pills and fell asleep in the c#ckpit. Don't mess with the truth, Georgems...don't do it!

Ahahahahahah word filter blocked out c#ckpit. I wonder what it does if I type cirCUMstances?

That's nothing to make jokes about...you are being just mean beacuszzz...*snore*

If you look at Vettel's record this year only at the numbers it looks like he is doing well but not great.

But if you look at what happened in the races the picture really does change.

Round 1: Australia, run off the road by Kubi, If you look at it Kubi just cut him off unnecessarily, He defended his position and just didn't have anywhere to go but into Kubi, could have easily taken 3rd

Round 2: Malaysia, neither Webber nor Vettel were really running very well all weekend and he was punted down 10 places for driving around with three wheels in Australia. Then spun on the way to the restart along with three quarters of the field and was not the only one to get stuck.

Round 3: China, Won the race in the rain, not too much to say

Round 4: Bahrain, second behind Button, I bet he could have taken 1st but first he got stuck behind Hamilton with the stupid KERS which makes Passing impossible and then everybody gets to take a ride on the Trulli train at least once in their life, more if your extra lucky :D But in all honesty Trulli held him up so much he could have challenged Button for the win otherwise

Round 5: Spain, completely held up by Massa. He go off the line badly but the red bulls are not the best off the line this year and he was on the dirty side so its understandable he would have been taken by RB but Massa got passed him with the ****ing idiocracy that is KERS and then from there on he was stuck behind him. there is no way someone without KERS can overtake someone who has it unless they are 2 or 3 seconds a lap faster so his race was ruined. Webber who was not behind Massa was able to jump both of them as you saw having a clear track

and if you look at quali: P3 P3 P1 P3 P2 He is the only driver 5-0 against his team mate this season I think

That's nothing to make jokes about...you are being just mean beacuszzz...*snore*

:lol: Well, I think you need to stop taking it (and changing your name, simply because I'm jealous because I can't), the commercial indicates you get your hair back, get a bad late 90s Chrysler Sebring convertible, add 15 years to your age (there's legit a 30-something year old guy who's like "I'm 52 and I look better than I did when I was in my 40s", ride your bike half-naked with other men, own another bad late 90s Chrysler Sebring convertible, get sexually harrassed in the office, become an Olympic swimmer, and pretend you're a firefighter, but it doesn't say anything about improved Batracer performance. And I think everyone will know it's a 2008 spec hairstyle.

You made me smile. I just hope that post was bait tbh :P

I agree we need more time to judge Vettel fully, although the same can be said of a few drivers actually. I do think the guy has proved quite a bit already though.

:lol:

You claim. If only it were true. Vettelisteric violence ensues. I smile.

Anyway, no I was serious. I think he's shown he's a talented driver but people are nevertheless getting carried away. Eg EJ says every race that Vettel is the greatest talent since Michael himself. He hasn't proven that yet!

Vettel has shown this season (and last) that he has outstanding speed, but in his very short career so far I dont think he's proved that he's much good at racing, as in fighting for position, whereas we all know Button can race with anyone.

Yeah I agree, and it's not just fighting for position but making places up through strategy and driving the team a little too.

If you look at Vettel's record this year only at the numbers it looks like he is doing well but not great.

But if you look at what happened in the races the picture really does change.

Round 1: Australia, run off the road by Kubi, If you look at it Kubi just cut him off unnecessarily, He defended his position and just didn't have anywhere to go but into Kubi, could have easily taken 3rd

Round 2: Malaysia, neither Webber nor Vettel were really running very well all weekend and he was punted down 10 places for driving around with three wheels in Australia. Then spun on the way to the restart along with three quarters of the field and was not the only one to get stuck.

Round 3: China, Won the race in the rain, not too much to say

Round 4: Bahrain, second behind Button, I bet he could have taken 1st but first he got stuck behind Hamilton with the stupid KERS which makes Passing impossible and then everybody gets to take a ride on the Trulli train at least once in their life, more if your extra lucky :D But in all honesty Trulli held him up so much he could have challenged Button for the win otherwise

Round 5: Spain, completely held up by Massa. He go off the line badly but the red bulls are not the best off the line this year and he was on the dirty side so its understandable he would have been taken by RB but Massa got passed him with the ****ing idiocracy that is KERS and then from there on he was stuck behind him. there is no way someone without KERS can overtake someone who has it unless they are 2 or 3 seconds a lap faster so his race was ruined. Webber who was not behind Massa was able to jump both of them as you saw having a clear track

and if you look at quali: P3 P3 P1 P3 P2 He is the only driver 5-0 against his team mate this season I think

Good post! I disagree with you but it's the kind of analysis I want. To my mind, rounds 1,2,4,5 read like a list of excuses, excuses and in round 3 he won but only in a car that was unbeatable. For me, Vettel was partly (not entirely!) to blame to the crash in Aus, and for his subsequent penalty too, and he spun long before most other drivers in Malaysia - if you look at the race classification, only Vettel and the Force Indias spun out before the race was actually stopped. In Bahrain, Vettel was passed by Button at the start, who then managed to get past Hamilton to seal a great win, while Vettel spent most of the race behind slower cars, and today Vettel meekly sat behind Massa for 66 laps while a key title rival scored full points - in many ways it was the most damning performance of the lot imho. He should at least have been demanding a novel strategy or trying to save fuel, or distract Massa or something, anything.

I'm not saying he's not doing well, of course he is, but I don't see the incontrovertible evidence that he's indisputably the new Michael Schumacher just yet.

Good post! I disagree with you but it's the kind of analysis I want. To my mind, rounds 1,2,4,5 read like a list of excuses, excuses and in round 3 he won but only in a car that was unbeatable. For me, Vettel was partly (not entirely!) to blame to the crash in Aus, and for his subsequent penalty too, and he spun long before most other drivers in Malaysia - if you look at the race classification, only Vettel and the Force Indias spun out before the race was actually stopped. In Bahrain, Vettel was passed by Button at the start, who then managed to get past Hamilton to seal a great win, while Vettel spent most of the race behind slower cars, and today Vettel meekly sat behind Massa for 66 laps while a key title rival scored full points - in many ways it was the most damning performance of the lot imho. He should at least have been demanding a novel strategy or trying to save fuel, or distract Massa or something, anything.

I'm not saying he's not doing well, of course he is, but I don't see the incontrovertible evidence that he's indisputably the new Michael Schumacher just yet.

I feel the same way, but I think its important to look at what actually happened within races to see the full picture.

I also don't necessarily disagree that some of the explanations sound like excuses but if you look at his record through the races and then tie it back into the whole of this season and what the new rules are trying to accomplish then I think it shows the rules have not done their job and actually reduced the ability of drivers fighting at the front.

Sure there has been much more passing, especially in the early stages, mainly the first stint, but all of that passing has been in the mid to back field. Look at this year and at how many times a KERS car has held up a non KERS car that was fighting for a podium while that KERS car was not and only there by a massive advantage from the start. Just looking at Vettel you can see he was held up two races in a row by a KERS car that prevented him for fighting for the top step of the podium. In both those races the winner was Button who went totally unchallenged.

I for one would rather see two or three cars duke it out at the front than to see 5 cars duke it out for 8th and 9th

:lol: Well, I think you need to stop taking it (and changing your name, simply because I'm jealous because I can't), the commercial indicates you get your hair back, get a bad late 90s Chrysler Sebring convertible, add 15 years to your age (there's legit a 30-something year old guy who's like "I'm 52 and I look better than I did when I was in my 40s", ride your bike half-naked with other men, own another bad late 90s Chrysler Sebring convertible, get sexually harrassed in the office, become an Olympic swimmer, and pretend you're a firefighter, but it doesn't say anything about improved Batracer performance. And I think everyone will know it's a 2008 spec hairstyle.

Reminds me of the time when Ratan Tata (boss of Tata Motors) had one, many thought it was the ultimate car to have.....hm...times have changed these days I guess....2008 Lambo stock was sold out (in showrooms) in 2006 itself.

edit.........was talking about India. :P

It was evident from the onboard video that Massa did not use KERS in the start. He was also 4.5 kg heavier than Vetel. Vetel or his car or the complete package have not been brilliant starters in the last 2 gp. Melburne was ok, he started from 15th in Sepang and Shanghai was a start behind the SC, so it's a bit too early to say a pattern has emerged.

Anyone who thinks that Brawn and Button have got this one in the bag had better go read the history books. Red Bull are bringing their new diffuser to Monaco. Let's see what it brings. If they can peg the gap to Brawn with it, I believe Vettel has as good a chance at beating Button as easily as Jenson has built a lead.

Anyone who thinks that Brawn and Button have got this one in the bag had better go read the history books. Red Bull are bringing their new diffuser to Monaco. Let's see what it brings. If they can peg the gap to Brawn with it, I believe Vettel has as good a chance at beating Button as easily as Jenson has built a lead.

I agree, Redbull need to find the pace so they can start pulling 1-2 regularly if Vetel will have any chance. If we don't see a dramatic counterattack in the coming 2-3 gp , I would say jenson and Brawn have it in their hands to lose the championship from there on, not win it.

Hmm, thanks for that one, I was forgetting that tiny detail already!

Apart from this, I agree that he could do better starts, but nothing to say about his driving. Diffusers and KERS make the cars in front harder to overtake. We all know RBR so far have none of the two things. That might, I say might because I don't have a clue, also have hindered him with the starts, but that's something I don't really know.

I think the jury is out and I sincerely hope there can be much closer competition at the top at least between RBR and the Brawns.

Barrichello seemed the better Brawn driver of the weekend and yet the team only changed Button's strategy.

If they thought it would help then fine but why not change Barichello's as well. Maybe he wasn't quick enough to make a three stop work but he would have beaten Button if he was also on a two stop.

Yarp.

While I agree that it's by no means over, if one does read the history books, it doesn't look too good:

In the history of the championship the drivers who won at least four of the first five races always were crowned champions at the end of the season;

It happened nine times, the first in 1963 (Jim Clark), the last one in 2004 (Michael Schumacher);

Five times the runaway driver was from the United Kingdom: Jim Clark 1963-1965, Jackie Stewart 1969, Nigel Mansell 1992, Damon Hill 1996;

Button counts now 41 points. The four drivers who were able to gain at least 40 points in the first five races in history, always won the Championship at the end of the season.

They are: Nigel Mansell in 1992 (50 points, five wins); Michael Schumacher in 1994 (46) 2002 (44) and 2004 (50, five wins); Damon Hill in 1996 (43); Fernando Alonso in 2005 (44) and 2006 (44).

I guess this season has the best opportunity to defy the stats.

after spain, I'd have to say it looks unlikely that vettel will win the WDC this season.

with 12 races left he's 18 pts behind.

however, it's not beyond the realms of possibility. if he beats Button for the rest of the season (if the difference between them is just 2pts per race) he will take the championship by 6pts.

both teams have got good consistency now and realiability seems a non-issue. a couple of slip ups from button and vettel maximising his advantage could bring the whole season back into contention.

but if this point difference remains around the same for the next 4 races, then I'd have to say it looks like button's WDC.

for button - if he stays 1st or 2nd for the rest of the season's races he'll have it in the bag (I can't see vettel winning every race).

the fat lady is warming up, but she hasn't quite warbled yet.

The thing that may sway it is if Red Bull develop quicker and better than Brawn come mid season.
You sound like a Red Bull fan! ykick in disguise maybe :eusa_think: ?

Can Webber haul in points to

* Counter Attack Vettel for the Championship, or

* At least take 3rd in the Championship

Webber, for mine, appears to be the hungier of the two RBR Drivers.

its not about how fast the car is, its about how fast the cars will be. Its called the development race and its big.