Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jean Todt

Mclaren May Scrap The 2009 Development.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/9090601.024/mc...programme--boss

McLaren may scrap 2009 car programme - boss

179334652.jpg Lewis Hamilton in his MP4-24 race car at Monaco grand prix 2009 June 1, 2009 5:50 PM

McLaren is considering scrapping the 2009 season and turning its full attention and resources to next year.

"That is one of the possibilities, but we haven't yet arrived at that point," team boss Martin Whitmarsh said in an interview with Spain's El Pais.

"We are still going to all the races with the intention to win. Giving up is not our style," the Briton added.

However, defending champion Lewis Hamilton is already a massive 42 points behind drivers' title leader Jenson Button.

The Mercedes-powered team, meanwhile, acknowledges that the MP4-24 is not going to shine at aerodynamically-demanding circuits like the forthcoming Turkish venue.

"Perhaps for formula one it is not bad that Ferrari and McLaren are struggling, as it demonstrates that winning in this sport is very difficult," Whitmarsh said.

He applauds the success of the new Brawn GP entry, but points out that the team's car is based on former owner Honda's 2008 efforts comprising "four wind tunnels and hundreds of millions of euros".

Whitmarsh also pointed out the contribution of the 'double diffuser' controversy.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/9090601.024/mc...programme--boss

McLaren may scrap 2009 car programme - boss

179334652.jpg Lewis Hamilton in his MP4-24 race car at Monaco grand prix 2009 June 1, 2009 5:50 PM

McLaren is considering scrapping the 2009 season and turning its full attention and resources to next year.

"That is one of the possibilities, but we haven't yet arrived at that point," team boss Martin Whitmarsh said in an interview with Spain's El Pais.

INSIDER:Of course they have.

"We are still going to all the races with the intention to win. Giving up is not our style," the Briton added.

However, defending champion Lewis Hamilton is already a massive 42 points behind drivers' title leader Jenson Button.

The Mercedes-powered team, meanwhile, acknowledges that the MP4-24 is not going to shine at aerodynamically-demanding circuits like the forthcoming Turkish venue.

"Perhaps for formula one it is not bad that Ferrari and McLaren are struggling, as it demonstrates that winning in this sport is very difficult," Whitmarsh said.

He applauds the success of the new Brawn GP entry, but points out that the team's car is based on former owner Honda's 2008 efforts comprising "four wind tunnels and hundreds of millions of euros".

INSIDER: Er, Martin - they're still there! BGP own them now! You have some, don't you?

Whitmarsh also pointed out the contribution of the 'double diffuser' controversy.

INSIDER: Sour grapes. As I have said before, if the top teams want to get ahead next year they need to follow the Honda/BGP model - now!

I still don't believe the reason for them being so poor this year is because of last, given they were making noises last summer as to how development was going well.

They just plain messed up.

I disagree with you Sid, We have to first look at what kind of questions were asked before such a reply. What ever Martin said was true (this time :lol: ), and there is no hiding from that at all.

I still don't believe the reason for them being so poor this year is because of last, given they were making noises last summer as to how development was going well.

They just plain messed up.

Some of my friends who are a bit more into F1 than me, said they noticed that they were more focused on their KERS systems. Anyways, even Ferrari were focused on last year's car, the teams who focused on this year's car and messed up wer Renault and BMW. Not Mclaren. Ferrari and Mclaren had atleast got something for their input on last season. Both of them will be back in form for the next season, doesn't mean Brawns (ExHonda) would slip back to mid field. They will be top players for years to come. Count them in for the title battle.

a bit curious - how would/will/might/may/could the budget cap work with pre(current)season spending?

if mclaren fork out oodles of cash now on the 2010 car, would it be counted in the 2010 budget or in the 2009 budget?

if the answer is 2009, won't teams just be spending 2 seasons worth of cash on every other season's car in the best bid to win that season?

i.e.

in 2010 Renault spend their cash on the 2011 car and run a backfield lump for 2010. in 2011 they pump their whole budget into that season on top of what they spent on the car the year before. they would therefore have no chance in 2010, but a better chance than most in 2011. if all teams took this view, in any 1 year we'd probably see only half the field really competing. some may point out that that's pretty much what happens now, but i think at the start of the season almost every team has asperations of better results. with a budget cap this may cease.

of course, if FIA keep chaging the rules every season, it would be harder to spend money on a car more than 1 year ahead, since the restrictions could change. in that case 2 year spending would be about the limit.

EDIT - thinking further - budget must be counted per season as a lot of spending could not actually be attributed to the current season or the next seasons car. R&D would be relevant to both.

If I was a team principle, I'd enter a tank in 2010 and spend everything on 2011 from the get go.

Also - what about new teams' spending? How would the budget be assessed before they'd even entered the fray?

a bit curious - how would/will/might/may/could the budget cap work with pre(current)season spending?

if mclaren fork out oodles of cash now on the 2010 car, would it be counted in the 2010 budget or in the 2009 budget?

if the answer is 2009, won't teams just be spending 2 seasons worth of cash on every other season's car in the best bid to win that season?

i.e.

in 2010 Renault spend their cash on the 2011 car and run a backfield lump for 2010. in 2011 they pump their whole budget into that season on top of what they spent on the car the year before. they would therefore have no chance in 2010, but a better chance than most in 2011. if all teams took this view, in any 1 year we'd probably see only half the field really competing. some may point out that that's pretty much what happens now, but i think at the start of the season almost every team has asperations of better results. with a budget cap this may cease.

of course, if FIA keep chaging the rules every season, it would be harder to spend money on a car more than 1 year ahead, since the restrictions could change. in that case 2 year spending would be about the limit.

EDIT - thinking further - budget must be counted per season as a lot of spending could not actually be attributed to the current season or the next seasons car. R&D would be relevant to both.

If I was a team principle, I'd enter a tank in 2010 and spend everything on 2011 from the get go.

Also - what about new teams' spending? How would the budget be assessed before they'd even entered the fray?

Nevertheles, considering a 2 year budget (80M) is far from today budgets of 175M to 400M...

By the way, isn

Nevertheles, considering a 2 year budget (80M) is far from today budgets of 175M to 400M...

By the way, isn

They're all going to be self-auditing, anyway so its probably all a bit academic - I can see a lot of "creative accounting" going on :D

Oh boy, Mclarens are second fastest teams..

from last! :D

I wonder what are they going to do in German GP when their cars are being lapped... :D ...well, I guess, Haug will tell his guests that Brawns are acually unlapping themselves? :D

I hate to say it, but last season was pretty good. Of course the rain played a big part, and there where also uber-boring races like Valencia, but still.

I'd wish they hadn't changed the rules.

I hate to say it, but last season was pretty good. Of course the rain played a big part, and there where also uber-boring races like Valencia, but still.

I'd wish they hadn't changed the rules.

I agree. We've had 2 fantastic seasons in a row now and since they changed the rules I've just slowly lost interest in the races now.

I swear Red Bull are the only team that haven't given up chasing the Brawns...

Also weren't the new rules meant to promote overtaking? I've seen no more overtaking this year compared to the past few seasons!

F1 is turning into a joke.

This is what happens when a governing body tries to make a sport "more interesting." How's about letting the teams do their own thing? And stop meddling with the rules? This is a vert "off" seazon because it was engineered by Max and Bernie in a back room somwhere. But, if you hobble the fastest horses, this is what you end up with...

Off - topic - haven't heard Mario Theissen say anything about focusing on the next season. Maybe because nobody knows what the rules will be? Maybe we should dispense with the engines, put the whole field on a BIG hill, give'em a push.... Oh, right, that's been done already...

There are many reasons why McLaren should halt their 2009 development but this is the biggie:

Hamilton got overtaken by Piquet, the end.