Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DOF_power

Holy Crap, Latest News: Teams To Launch Breakaway Series

Holy crap, latest news:

Teams to launch breakaway series

By jonathan noble Thursday, June 18th 2009, 22:43 GMT

The Formula One Teams' Association announced on Thursday night that it is setting up a breakaway championship.

Following a four hour meeting at Renault's Enstone factory, the eight members of FOTA said it had grown frustrated with the FIA's stance against it and that it had no option but to create its own championship.

"The teams cannot continue to compromise on the fundamental values of the sport and have declined to alter their original conditional entries to the 2010 World Championship," said a statement.

"These teams therefore have no alternative other than to commence the preparation for a new Championship which reflects the values of its participants and partners. This series will have transparent governance, one set of regulations, encourage more entrants and listen to the wishes of the fans, including offering lower prices for spectators worldwide, partners and other important stakeholders.

"The major drivers, stars, brands, sponsors, promoters and companies historically associated with the highest level of motorsport will all feature in this new series."

More to follow.

autosport.com - F1 News: Teams to launch breakaway series

but not force india

Emperor has lost poker game. I wonder what is going to happen on the race. This might be first win for Force India ;)

after an admittedly quick search, I haven't found this news repeated elsewhere?

i really hope it's true since any outcoming series will be far closer to real racing than what we're looking at for mosely's 2010 proposals.

i hope the news organsations just happen to be slower than autosport you DOF :)

EDIT - I take that back - just found it in the telegraph

must have been the late time of the announcement (nearly 11:00pm) that duped most news organisations

after an admittedly quick search, I haven't found this news repeated elsewhere?

i really hope it's true since any outcoming series will be far closer to real racing than what we're looking at for mosely's 2010 proposals.

i hope the news organsations just happen to be slower than autosport you DOF :)

EDIT - I take that back - just found it in the telegraph

must have been the late time of the announcement (nearly 11:00pm) that duped most news organisations

I love last two paragraphs :D

http://www.teamsassociation.org/press-rele...9/press-release

max now has less than 24 hours to come grovelling - i really hope he refuses to do so and gets what's coming to him

[quote name='adamstrags' post='294553' date='Jun 19 2009, 02:34 AM']max now has less than 24 hours to come grovelling - i really hope he refuses to do so and gets what's coming to him[/quote]
Bernie is losing everything. First he lost wife now he lost his toys B) Max is going to retire in October and be grumpy old man whenever asked to comment on something regarding Formula.

Bah posturing. It's a meaningless development. Doesn't anyone remember GPWC? Call me when it's more than a press release or a website.

Bah posturing. It's a meaningless development. Doesn't anyone remember GPWC? Call me when it's more than a press release or a website.

though i agree with the sentiment (this is far from a final decision), I disagree that this is like the GPWC episode.

here's why...

that was essentially about getting more money from bernie - the teams succeeded individually in that after a season of fairly sober discussions.

the current FOTA v FIA arguments might be partly about that, but only to a very small degree. this is cheifly about not wanting to be max's whipping boys any more. they're fed up with rule changes beyond their control altering the formula hugely from season to season. (max has done nothing but move the goal posts every year for the last 3 seasons.) they're fed up with random steward decisions and poorly atributed penalties. they're fed up with poorly written rules that open the door to the FIA deciding championships on technicalities (who they like more that year). they're fed up with being ordered around and told that next year they'll have to spend what the FIA says they're allowed to. they're fed up with having their voice ignored time and time again when it comes to formulating the next seasons rules or anything to do with how their sport is run. they're fed up of being involved in a sport in which the governing body cares little for the competitors (infact shows them distain) and even less for the punters/fans/followers who pay their wage. none of this was what they signed up for. the FIA dictatorship under max has to come to an end sooner or later.

this is not at all another GPWC - if it was, bernie would have thrown a little more money at them and they would have shuffled back into line.

They then set up a website new series blah blah, everyone was hyped about it how there was going to be a new series with no Bernie/ Max. This time there is a press release. Big f**king deal. Call us when you have sponsors, TV agreements, confirmed venues and race dates, teams, technical regulations, a completely new rulebook, trained stewards, a whole governing body to manage the sport, with absolutely no experience, no access to anyone with any link to the FIA or Bernie.

Bunch of clowns, the whole lot of them. Not one bloody person in the whole circus that acts like an adult.

They then set up a website new series blah blah, everyone was hyped about it how there was going to be a new series with no Bernie/ Max. This time there is a press release. Big f**king deal. Call us when you have sponsors, TV agreements, confirmed venues and race dates, teams, technical regulations, a completely new rulebook, trained stewards, a whole governing body to manage the sport, with absolutely no experience, no access to anyone with any link to the FIA or Bernie.

Bunch of clowns, the whole lot of them. Not one bloody person in the whole circus that acts like an adult.

So what do you reckon the teams should do?

Agree totally. Whilst I wouldn't entirely rule out a breakaway series, because of the complexities involved, I think it unlikely it will happen. With the deadline looming the teams had no choice but to take this stance.

The irony is that for all FOTA's bleating about reducing ticket prices and giving the fans what they want, with no TV deal they could hurt the fans like they have never been hurt before.

So what do you reckon the teams should do?

Exactly what they have done. They needed to find out publicly just how rigid Max is about his budget cap. We're about to find out.

The irony is that for all FOTA's bleating about reducing ticket prices and giving the fans what they want, with no TV deal they could hurt the fans like they have never been hurt before.

And to be honest this row is hurting fans and the sport just by existing.

Agree that a new series is unlikely. Better be the case, as otherwise I have to eat Maure's underwear!! :o

Bernie's not going to be a happy man - his empire may evaporate before his eyes... the stress could finish him off, you know... Still, I'll be there to comfort Tamara... :D

Exactly what they have done. They needed to find out publicly just how rigid Max is about his budget cap. We're about to find out.

Yep. Somebody's gonna end up being somebody's bitch real soon...

I will never be Maure's bitch :D

Oops, I just edit my post so you'd know who I was replying to. But yeah, I guess it applies to your bet with Maure too. :lol:

thats the most beautiful news i've heard in years...They got my vote!!! down with FIA and F1....looking forward to the new series...yea baby :D