Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kay

Current Driver Market 09/10

Current Driver / Seat Situation 09/10

(Note: Driver names in red are confirmed, blue are loose rumours, green are probable)

(Addititional Note: Those bolded are those which remain under much discussion, italics are for those just added, underlined are for those with links to confirmed / probable retained seats)

Brawn GP

Jenson Button {Contract Under Discussion}

Rubens Barrichello {Contract End 2009}

Kimi Raikkonen {Rumour, Autosport}

Robert Kubica {Rumour, Autosport}

Red Bull

Mark Webber {Contract End 2010}

Sebastian Vettel {Contract End 2010}

Toyota

Jarno Trulli {Contract End 2009}

Timo Glock {Contract End 2009}

Ferrari

Felipe Massa {Contract End 2010}

Kimi Raikkonen {Contract End 2010}

Fernando Alonso {Rumour, See 2}

Sebastian Vettel {Rumour, See 2}

Williams -Toyota

Nico Rosberg {Contract End 2009}

Kazuki Nakajima {Contract End 2009}

Nicolas Hulkenberg {Rumour, See 7}

Rubens Barrichello {Rumour, Autosport}

Nick Heidfeld {Rumour, Autosport}

Mclaren

Lewis Hamilton {Contract End 2011}

Heikki Kovalainen {Contract End}

Nico Rosberg {Rumour, See 1}

Renault

Fernando Alonso {Contract End 2010}

Romain Grosjean {Rumour, See 10 [vacant seat]}

Nelson Piquet {Contract End 2009}

Robert Kubica {Rumour, See 14}

BMW Takeover(?)

Robert Kubica {Probable Contract End 2009}

Nick Heidfeld {Contract End}

Christian Klien {Rumour, See 9}

Nico Rosberg {Rumour, Autosport}

Toro Rosso

Sebastien Buemi {Contract End}

Jaime Alguersuari {Contract End}

Jacques Villeneuve {Rumour, See 8}

Ralf Schumacher {Rumour, See 8}

Force India

Giancarlo Fisichella {Contract End}

Adrian Sutil {Contract End 2010}

Campos

Marc Gene {Rumour, See 3}

Pedro de la Rosa {Rumour, See 3}

Javi Villa {Rumour, See 3}

Roldan Rodriguez {Rumour, See 3}

Manor

Adam Carroll {Rumour, See 13}

USF1

Alex Wurz {Rumour, See 11}

John Summerton {Rumour, See 6}

Danica Patrick {Rumour, See 4}

Rubens Barrichello {Rumour, See 5}

Pedro de la Rosa {Rumour, See 6}

Scott Speed {Rumour, RACER Magazine}

Marco Andretti {Rumour, RACER Magazine}

JR Hildebrand {Rumour, RACER Magazine

Ryan Hunter-Reay {Rumour, RACER Magazine}

Drivers Possibly Retiring / No Race Seat

Rubens Barrichello {Age, see 12}

Kimi Raikkonen {Rumour, See 2}

Unlinked Drivers Possibly Entering

Antonio Liuzzi {Ex F1}

Giorgio Pantano {Ex F1 / Campos Link}

Romain Grosjean {Renault link, test driver}

Antonio Pizzonia {Ex F1/ Manor Link}

Anthony Davidson {Ex F1}

Vitaly Petrov {Renault}

Rumours / Sources

1. Nico on Mclaren's list

2. Alonso or Vettel to Ferrari, Raikkonen to Retire

3. Possible Campos Drivers

4. USF1 Considering Patrick

5. Rubens Linked with USF1

6. DLR and Summerton to USF1

7. Hulkenberg Eyes Williams Seat

8. Villeneuve and R Schumacher Linked to TR

9. Klien to BMW

10. Grosjean to replace Piquet

11. Wurz Leading Contender for USF1 Seat

12. Rubens may Retire

13. Carroll Linked to Manor

14. Kubica Linked to Renault

So, I know this post lacks links...sorry. My computer has a virus or something odd right now, every time I Google something, and click on a result, it redirects me from the real site to all these scam sites like "pay off your mortgage for half the cost" or "free computer virus scan" and all sorts of other stuff, so I can't access any of the articles out there.

That said, more than anyone will ever care about US F1-wise.

Danica, in all likelihood, WON'T race for Team US F1. They're really just trying to generate media attention by saying it. Danica's only interested in NASCAR or the IRL, and she only has the credentials to be in those series. She's just not that good, and she knows it, and so does US F1. She played down the rumors before, and then started playing up NASCAR.

The actual US F1 short list for Americans, per Peter Windsor (it may be on the Interwebs, I saw it in print in RACER Magazine in the US):

Graham Rahal (who has said "F1 is boring and I have no interest whatsoever in it," so it won't be him)

Marco Andretti (he hasn't commented, he sucks, I hope it's not)

JR Hildebrand (not experienced enough for F1 by any means)

Ryan Hunter-Reay (he's a bit too old and he lost to Scott Speed in the Red Bull American Driver Search, and if you lost to Speed, well, you just aren't that good, as much as I like RHR)

John Summerton (Windsor absolutely loves this guy and he skipped a race to go meet with the US F1 team...he's the only driver who has actually been contacted by them)

Scott Speed (he says he won't go back, and I doubt he will)

For what it's worth, Alex Rossi (who won his first Formula Master race in Brno over the weekend) will be a test/reserve driver according to his Myspace status from April 3, 2009.

A Finnish newspaper reported Pedro de la Rosa and John Summerton will be the drivers for US F1, that's here, towards the bottom. I am convinced Summerton will be the US American just because of Windsor saying things like "winning a race like A1 GP in China really shows a world class talent" (not the exact wording but it was close).

Cool, it's great to hear what's been reported in different places, most of the rumours for Campos came from a Spanish newspaper so will add all those in thanks. Going to end up pretty long. :thbup:

It seems difficult for Kovalainen, Piquet jr., Bourdais and Rubinho to keep a seat for 2010. I t will be difficult for BrawnGP to retain Button as for Reno to keep Nando or Force India to keep Sutil. For the first time in years will see massive chnges in the driver lineup in 2010.

According to paddock rumours Superleague Formula star and former F1 driver Antonio Pizzonia is on Manor shortlist, pending on him winning the championship this year. Pizzonia won back to back titles in british Formula Renault 2000 and british Formula 3 with Manor in 1999-2000. Team boss John Booth has also admitted interest in their F3 leading driver Roberto Mehri. The spanish guy seems already to be a big talent, but he is still VERY young (class of '91).

Campos Grand Prix will likely race with 2008 Gp2 champion and former Jordan driver Pantano in one of their cars. He already has a verbal agreement with Adrian Campos to be their leading driver. Le Mans 24h winner Marc Gen

Usf1 were probably going to line up De La Rosa as a part of a Mercedes engine deal. As the deal has collapsed following Usf1 deal with Cosworth this seems very unlikely. Jacques Villeneuve has proposed himself for the leading role. It is rumoured he will replace Sebastien Bourdais at STR for the last stint of the 2009 season to get back in shape for next year. Being JV a north american driver and a former world champ who would race for a very small salary it seems logical. Rumours for the other seat have Jonathan Summerton, Danica Patrick and Scott Speed all in line for a drive.

The thing with DLR is that the rumor didn't surface until after Cosworth were confirmed. Danica isn't eligible for a Super License (you have to finished third or better in the IndyCar Series to get one, though exceptions can be made, but why would you make an exception for someone who, in over a decade of racing, has only won one race...on an oval?) JV would be fun for sure.

Where'd you hear about Ralf to STR, by the way? Seems really out of no where with Hartley waiting in the wings, unless they think Vettel's off to Ferrari and need two replacements...

After seeing Kay's info, here's my new predictions:

Brawn GP

Engine: Mercedes

Drivers: Jenson Button & Alex Wurz

Red Bull Racing

Engine: Renault

Drivers: Sebastian Vettel & Mark Webber

Toyota Racing

Engine: Toyota

Drivers: Timo Glock & Jarno Trulli/Kamui Kobayashi (can't decide)

Scuderia Ferrari

Engine: Ferrari

Drivers: Felipe Massa* & Kimi Raikonnen*

McLaren Mercedes

Drivers: Lewis Hamilton* & not sure

Renault F1

Drivers: Fernando Alonso & Heikki Kovalainen

WilliamsF1

Drivers: Nico Rosberg & Nico Hulkenberg

BMW Sauber

Engine: BMW

Drivers: Robert Kubica & Nick Heidfeld

Scuderia Torro Rosso

Drivers: S

According to paddock rumours Superleague Formula star and former F1 driver Antonio Pizzonia is on Manor shortlist, pending on him winning the championship this year. Pizzonia won back to back titles in british Formula Renault 2000 and british Formula 3 with Manor in 1999-2000. Team boss John Booth has also admitted interest in their F3 leading driver Roberto Mehri. The spanish guy seems already to be a big talent, but he is still VERY young (class of '91).

Campos Grand Prix will likely race with 2008 Gp2 champion and former Jordan driver Pantano in one of their cars. He already has a verbal agreement with Adrian Campos to be their leading driver. Le Mans 24h winner Marc Gen

I dunno, there have been persisted rumours of Kubica going to Ferrari. Probably not, but he is very unhappy in BMW. My feeling is that last he tried to do what Schumi did in Ferrari and Mario either snubbed him, or put him in his place. He seems very unhappy and resigned this year. I would not be surprised if he tried to change seats.

omg, that would be the first driver in F1 younger then me, I thought I still had a few years ahead of me for that. Now I just feel old ****

get used to it

omg, that would be the first driver in F1 younger then me, I thought I still had a few years ahead of me for that. Now I just feel old ****

Ditto, but they've already said he needs another year under his belt, so I would expect to have another season with no drivers younger than you.

Interesting about Pizzonia, I was wondering when he'd show up again in the rumours!

Roberto Mehri is one to watch for the future. I love looking at the 'silly season' as you get a better idea of who you may see in the future of F1 (plus Webber and Button don't have so many years left in them...)

I'd guess:

Brawn GP

Drivers: Jenson Button & Rubens Barrichello

Red Bull Racing

Drivers: Sebastian Vettel & Mark Webber

Toyota Racing

Drivers: Timo Glock & Jarno Trulli

Scuderia Ferrari

Drivers: Felipe Massa & Kimi Raikonnen

McLaren Mercedes

Drivers: Lewis Hamilton & Nico Rosberg

Renault F1

Drivers: Fernando Alonso & Heikki Kovalainen

WilliamsF1

Drivers: Kazuki Nakajima & Nico Hulkenberg

BMW Sauber

Engine: BMW

Drivers: Robert Kubica & Nick Heidfeld

Scuderia Torro Rosso

Drivers: S

Interesting about Pizzonia, I was wondering when he'd show up again in the rumours!

Roberto Mehri is one to watch for the future. I love looking at the 'silly season' as you get a better idea of who you may see in the future of F1 (plus Webber and Button don't have so many years left in them...)

Do you remember where you heard about Pantano, as when I looked all I could find was him saying he'd like to drive for them. The media really need to catch up after all the FIA / FOTA (continuing) battle. Last year it was May time when the rumour mill kicked in, still in late June it hasn't started up properly!

Oh yes, it was written nearly everywhere in the italian press. Pantano will also do Superleague this season.

According to an insider rumour I've heard yesterday, 2009 british f3 champion and Red Bull Junior team member Jaime Alguersuari (19 y/o) will replace Sebastien Bourdais from Nurburgring onwards. He's currently 10th in the World Series by Renault standings in what is his debut season in the series. According to earlier plans he should have done two seasons in it before doing a further one year or two in Gp2....It seems things have changed quickly

The thing with DLR is that the rumor didn't surface until after Cosworth were confirmed. Danica isn't eligible for a Super License (you have to finished third or better in the IndyCar Series to get one, though exceptions can be made, but why would you make an exception for someone who, in over a decade of racing, has only won one race...on an oval?) JV would be fun for sure.

Where'd you hear about Ralf to STR, by the way? Seems really out of no where with Hartley waiting in the wings, unless they think Vettel's off to Ferrari and need two replacements...

http://www.italiaracing.net/notizia.asp?id=23797&cat=1

They are often very well informed about the Toro Rosso universe! Anyway the latest insider rumour says Alguersuari is going to get the role in the end

http://www.italiarac...?id=23797&cat=1

They are often very well informed about the Toro Rosso universe! Anyway the latest insider rumour says Alguersuari is going to get the role in the end

Thanks. I'd rather see Alguersuari get it over Ralf or Hartley.

A little more on Team US F1's driver choices: Anderson and Windsor met with six drivers in Spain last weekend. Only two of the drivers are confirmed: Summerton and Derek Daly's son, Conor, who they'd like to see race more in Europe and be a part of the team in the future.

Per Autosport, a month old but still relevant: Ken Anderson dropped four names in the interview, Josef Newgarden, Alex Rossi, Summerton, and Hunter-Reay. I'd tend to believe what Anderson's saying a little more than Windsor, as Windsor has suggested his capacity with the team is more of a marketing sort of thing, while Anderson is the team principal and overseeing car design. I think it suggests Windsor is using more well-known names (at least in the US) like Patrick, Andretti, and Rahal to generate more press stateside, while they're really focusing on the US Americans currently in Europe, or with prior European experience. Hunter-Reay will have less difficulty obtaining a Super License than Danica, but once again, an exception would have to be made.

Hmm....I guess Talks of JV returning to F1 will go on even when he turns 90, because he is a world champ.

Ralf won't come back.

I hope they do...and I hope he does return. He's so good he crashed under the safety car in Montreal in a second-tier stock car division! True talent at its best.

(Actually, I like JV, just like I like Lewis, and JPM, but don't tell anyone).

Villeneuve is awesome. Still.

I'd have him in my team, a good half-way house to pacify the U.S market whilst having someone with experience, a WC and also appealing to the European guys too. Probably.

Ralf has gone I think, i've heard nothing of him coming back.

---

I think although everyone, bar a few are out of contract, most will play safe and stay where they are.

It's hard to say which cars will be the most competitive next year after the mixup this season but I think with the rules being more or less the same, I think we'll see more ofa return to form from the big guns as it were.

---

Here's a thought, possibly Alonso to Toyota..

Ferrari's doors don't look particularly open to him and he's been there and done that with Renault. They look like they'll stay where they are(4th 5th best) for some time.

Toyota will pay a huge wage with the thinking that if they can't make significant progress with a double world champion like Alonso then what's the point? A last crack.

I'd have him in my team, a good half-way house to pacify the U.S market whilst having someone with experience, a WC and also appealing to the European guys too. Probably.

There isn't much of a US market to pacify; they're trying to create one. The US Americans who do watch F1 really don't care either way if there's an American or not in the sport; at least I don't (which isn't to say I don't want to see one or anything). Apparantly, the last ever Indianapolis 500 champ and last North American F1 champ just isn't good enough for the rest of the Yanks; unless they have some guy from Mississippi who says things like "I done was rasslin' with this here Cor of Tomorrah today, but I sure had myself a good hot rod, them cats in the shop done did themselves some good" winning races, I suppose they'll never care.

I'd be hiring based on how who has a good feel for the car, and since JV has never driven with the new regs, he may not be the first choice for car development. Rubens would be the most logical choice, if he's available; if not, it's a toss up, since even de la Rosa hasn't had much time thanks to the testing ban.

-------------------------------------------------------

There have been some rumors that teams will be allowed to run three cars next year; nothing concrete yet, just saw it on a forum, and an article on SPEEDTV with Valentino Rossi indicating if there is a third Ferrari, he'd take it in 2011, but I'm sure that's just for publicity. If so, that really makes a mess of the driver market; and opens up a seat for Alonso to easily slide into the Scuderia.

Villeneuve is awesome. Still.

He was barely average when he was dumped by Renault. How has sitting around, not driving in F1 and writing sh!t music made him awesome?

He was barely average when he was dumped by Renault. How has sitting around, not driving in F1 and writing sh!t music made him awesome?

He was barely average before that too.

One, like Montoya, Bourdais, Da Matta, Andretti, Zanardi who were awesome to watch in CART but whose talent did not readily translate to F1.

I think it's a tough one with JV as the car was horrible in 98. Similar pattern to Hamilton in that respect. Excellent rookie in top car, then world champ in top car then a bit second rate, mostly due to the car.

I think also that maybe he was just driving a bit like Raikkonen and was just a lot less hungry for it. Probably won the title too soon in his career. He met more hungry team-mates who fairly beat him, and he never recovered but there's no denying his talent imo.

Nearly won le mans as well, just a shame about the venture into NASCAR. Pretty poor.

At 38, he is getting on but Prost was still going at that age I think and rockin'.

He was barely average before that too.

One, like Montoya, Bourdais, Da Matta, Andretti, Zanardi who were awesome to watch in CART but whose talent did not readily translate to F1.

Monty was ok, got a couple of wins but the other CART drivers who moved up to F1 have'nt done so good, ask Bourdais!