Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rainmaster

The Next Battle

So, now that Max is retiring/been ousted (depending on your POV) from his FIA Presidential duties, who do we think will succeed him? Who would be a suitable candidate? They have to be smart and well educated, be an effective communicator, have enough money and time to do the job (since it doesn't pay iirc), have some understanding of motorsports on a fairly high level, be unbiased and of course a passion for racing helps too!

The guy everybody talks about is Jean Todt. Today FOTA said this:

Teams want independent FIA president

By Edd Straw Thursday, June 25th 2009, 14:41 GMT

Formula One Teams' Association vice chairman John Howett has called for Max Mosley's successor as president of the FIA to be fully independent of the competitors.

The Toyota team president believes that whoever is elected to take over the role from Mosley in October must have no current or historic links to the F1 teams.

This is a clear hint that FOTA would not be keen on former Ferrari boss Jean Todt, who has been linked with the position, taking over.

"From the teams' point of view, we would like to see someone who actually is independent," said Howett. "Perhaps independent from any of us currently or historically.

"The federation covers much more than just motorsport. It is involved in worldwide touring and from the position of the manufacturers, they would wish to have somebody that was able to represent appropriately the requirements of worldwide motorsports as well as purely focusing on the sport."

Howett emphasised that the problems between the FIA and FOTA had been resolved, and that there was no longer any ambiguity as to the relationship between the two.

He added that, as an independent body, it was in the hands of the FIA to elect Mosley's successor.

"I believe yesterday the confirmation was given to the World Motorsport Council on what was agreed, and they endorsed entirely that," said Howett. "So from our side there should be no ambiguity at all.

"The federation is an independent body with its own constitution, and it will be their business who they elect as the future successor to their president."

Renault team boss Flavio Briatore wished Mosley well for the future.

"After many years with the presidency of Max Mosley, we want to say good luck for the retirement," said Briatore.

"Sometimes we are in different positions, and sometimes we have different opinions. But the common sense yesterday was winning."

FOTA chairman Luca di Montezemolo also thanked Mosley for his attitude, paying tribute to his contribution to improving safety standards in F1.

"After a month of confrontations we also thank the president of the FIA for his decision to leave in October and for the work that he has done," said di Montezemolo.

"Particularly for safety, because this was and still is a big priority in F1. F1 has done a huge, huge improvement in safety."

Source

They couldn't say much more clearly that they don't want Todt as President, no surprises there.

Anyone got any ideas who would be suitable?

No, this right here is the next battle. Taken from Autosport.com

Mosley rethinks future over FOTA claims

By Jonathan Noble and Dieter Rencken

Max MosleyFormula 1's future has been thrown into turmoil once again, with FIA president Max Mosley saying he is now keeping his future options open because of what he has called 'deliberate attempts' by teams to mislead the media.

Just 24 hours after Mosley reached a deal with FOTA to end the threat of a breakaway series, he has reacted angrily to what he calls 'false claims' made by the Formula One Teams' Association (FOTA) about the nature of their agreement.

In a letter that Mosley sent to FOTA chairman Luca di Montezemolo, which first appeared on website www.racefax.com but has now been seen by AUTOSPORT, Mosley makes it clear that he is angry at how FOTA has presented the terms of its deal.

And such is his seriousness with which he is treating the matter, that he has told FOTA that his original plan to step down as FIA president in October is no longer definite.

"Given your and FOTA's deliberate attempt to mislead the media, I now consider my options open," wrote Mosley in the letter. "At least until October, I am president of the FIA with the full authority of that office.

"After that it is the FIA member clubs, not you or FOTA, who will decide on the future leadership of the FIA."

Mosley is furious that FOTA representatives have claimed that FIA Senate president Michel Boeri is now in change of F1, that he himself was forced out of office and that he would have no role in the FIA once he steps down in October.

"We made a deal yesterday in Paris to end the recent difficulties in Formula 1," explained Mosley. "A fundamental part of this was that we would both present a positive and truthful account to the media.

"I was therefore astonished to learn that FOTA has been briefing the press that Mr Boeri has taken charge of Formula 1, something which you know is completely untrue; that I had been forced out of office, also false; and, apparently, that I would have no role in the FIA after October, something which is plain nonsense, if only because of the FIA statutes.

"Furthermore, you have suggested to the media that I was a 'dictator', an accusation which is grossly insulting to the 26 members of the World Motor Sport Council who have discussed and voted all the rules and procedures of Formula 1 since the 1980s, not to mention the representatives of the FIA's 122 countries who have democratically endorsed everything I and my World Motor Sport Council colleagues have done during the last 18 years."

The letter makes it clear that unless FOTA moves to address his complaints, then the deal that was agreed on Wednesday could collapse. The letter was sent prior to Thursday's FOTA press conference in Bologna, where Mosley had hoped an apology would be made - something which was not forthcoming.

Mosley said: "If you wish the agreement we made to have any chance of survival, you and FOTA must immediately rectify your actions. You must correct the false statements which have been made and make no further such statements.

"You yourself must issue a suitable correction and apology at your press conference this afternoon.

"Formula 1 is run entirely by our 25-strong team without any help from me or any other outsider. There was no need for me to involve myself further in Formula 1 once we had a settlement. Equally, I had a long-standing plan not to seek re-election in October. It was therefore possible for me to confirm both points to you yesterday."

Link: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/76529

Three letters: D. O. F.
I can only imagine! Twin turbo V10's, 1500bhp quali spec, 1000bhp race spec, slick tyres, customer cars & most important of all, active ride suspension! Feel free to add to the list DOF!

hmmmm.....nope. not HIM. He is no good either. Michael Jackson? oh, he just died. Well. It's between Coulthard or JV then.

Why the automatic assumption that the next big cheese has to have a background in F1? I think that's a bit myopic.

I think what they mean is that they want someone who will rubber stamp any proposal put forth by FOTA

They know that if they put one of their own in power then that person may turn on FOTA so they just need someone as a puppet for Fota who will not decided to break ranks

Why the automatic assumption that the next big cheese has to have a background in F1? I think that's a bit myopic.

My sentiments. Exactly.

They don't have to have a background in F1, although it would probably help quite a lot. We all know F1 is a complex sort of business, I think a little experience wouldn't hurt, but like I said in my first post it could just be experience of motorsports on a fairly high level, e.g. Le Mans, WRC etc.

If somebody from completely outside of F1/Professional motorsports world becomes FIA President it would be like the Chairman of a software company not knowing how to use a computer.

<h1 class="cN">Mosley on warpath, FOTA breakaway back on menu</h1> Racing series F1 Date 2009-06-26 By Motorsport.com/GMM

Far from peace in our time, furious Max Mosley on Friday suggested FOTA's plans for a breakaway series may be back on.

On Wednesday in Paris, FOTA chairman Luca di Montezemolo sat with the FIA president as well as Bernie Ecclestone as they announced an agreement had been reached to move on after weeks and months of bitter feuding.

But Mosley interpreted the subsequent media coverage of the agreement as manipulated by Montezemolo and the eight rebel teams, keen to portray the deal as a successful coup that had resulted in victory as well as his head.

The 69-year-old wrote a letter to Ferrari's Montezemolo demanding a retraction and apology, but on Thursday the Italian instead issued a backhanded compliment by thanking Mosley "for his decision to leave the FIA in October".

Mosley, now openly rethinking his retirement, is reportedly also furious at FOTA vice-chairman John Howett's appeal to the World Motor Sport Council that it elect an "independent" president to succeed the incumbent.

He has now written another letter to the FIA member clubs, in which Mosley alludes to Howett's comments that "concern me greatly" and to Montezemolo who "did not keep his part of the bargain".

"We must continue to defend the independence of the FIA, even if this leads to difficulties in the sport," Mosley wrote.

He said the aftermath of the agreement had become "intolerable" and warns that, despite this week's declaration of peace, Formula One now faces another "difficult period".

"This may well result in short-term problems in Formula One," added Mosley. "It is possible FOTA will set up an independent series. The championship has had difficult times in the past, and no doubt will again in the future."

He accuses FOTA as being a body with "no sporting ethics" and "under the control" of the car manufacturing industry "we have constantly to monitor".

Even more provocatively, Mosley revealed that one manufacturer team lobbied him to ignore the processes of the Court of Appeal and simply declare 'double diffusers' illegal earlier this year.

He also said that when the FIA championed the road car safety standards system Euro NCAP, "one of the major manufacturers threatened to quit Formula One" in protest.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To be honest, I didn't understand the ones bolded, can anyone please help me out?

Ive heard that FIA had threatend BMW in the past that if they didn't agree with few things their soon to be launched 5-series would get poor ratings in Euro NCAP. :rolleyes:

<h1 class="cN">Mosley on warpath, FOTA breakaway back on menu</h1> Racing series F1 Date 2009-06-26 By Motorsport.com/GMM

Far from peace in our time, furious Max Mosley on Friday suggested FOTA's plans for a breakaway series may be back on.

On Wednesday in Paris, FOTA chairman Luca di Montezemolo sat with the FIA president as well as Bernie Ecclestone as they announced an agreement had been reached to move on after weeks and months of bitter feuding.

But Mosley interpreted the subsequent media coverage of the agreement as manipulated by Montezemolo and the eight rebel teams, keen to portray the deal as a successful coup that had resulted in victory as well as his head.

The 69-year-old wrote a letter to Ferrari's Montezemolo demanding a retraction and apology, but on Thursday the Italian instead issued a backhanded compliment by thanking Mosley "for his decision to leave the FIA in October".

Mosley, now openly rethinking his retirement, is reportedly also furious at FOTA vice-chairman John Howett's appeal to the World Motor Sport Council that it elect an "independent" president to succeed the incumbent.

He has now written another letter to the FIA member clubs, in which Mosley alludes to Howett's comments that "concern me greatly" and to Montezemolo who "did not keep his part of the bargain".

"We must continue to defend the independence of the FIA, even if this leads to difficulties in the sport," Mosley wrote.

He said the aftermath of the agreement had become "intolerable" and warns that, despite this week's declaration of peace, Formula One now faces another "difficult period".

"This may well result in short-term problems in Formula One," added Mosley. "It is possible FOTA will set up an independent series. The championship has had difficult times in the past, and no doubt will again in the future."

He accuses FOTA as being a body with "no sporting ethics" and "under the control" of the car manufacturing industry "we have constantly to monitor".

Even more provocatively, Mosley revealed that one manufacturer team lobbied him to ignore the processes of the Court of Appeal and simply declare 'double diffusers' illegal earlier this year.

He also said that when the FIA championed the road car safety standards system Euro NCAP, "one of the major manufacturers threatened to quit Formula One" in protest.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To be honest, I didn't understand the ones bolded, can anyone please help me out?

Ive heard that FIA had threatend BMW in the past that if they didn't agree with few things their soon to be launched 5-series would get poor ratings in Euro NCAP. :rolleyes:

Looks like Mosley is making re-election noises to me. Or he likes writing letters a lot. Well, I guess it could be both.

They don't have to have a background in F1, although it would probably help quite a lot. We all know F1 is a complex sort of business, I think a little experience wouldn't hurt, but like I said in my first post it could just be experience of motorsports on a fairly high level, e.g. Le Mans, WRC etc.

If somebody from completely outside of F1/Professional motorsports world becomes FIA President it would be like the Chairman of a software company not knowing how to use a computer.

Looks like me and Max agree, next it'll be Steve and maure.

"If nothing else, this attempt to tell FIA members who they should or should not elect demonstrates precisely why the FIA needs a strong President who is experienced and knowledgeable about motor sport, in particular Formula One, as well as general motoring matters."

Source - Autosport.com

Agreed it should be someone with motorsport and administrative experience. But Max's F1 credentials were nothing to shout about really. He was from the era of garagistes, and I don't think he did much at the sharp end except sell chassis to people like m'lud Hesketh. So is he saying that they need someone who knows more about F1 than he does? But I do appreciate that FOTA would not be happy (understandably so) with someone who may have present or recent links with an existing team - it leaves them (the new president) wide open to accusations of bias even when there is none.

But I do appreciate that FOTA would not be happy (understandably so) with someone who may have present or recent links with an existing team - it leaves them (the new president) wide open to accusations of bias even when there is none.

Ron for el Presidente! :D

Agreed it should be someone with motorsport and administrative experience. But Max's F1 credentials were nothing to shout about really. He was from the era of garagistes, and I don't think he did much at the sharp end except sell chassis to people like m'lud Hesketh. So is he saying that they need someone who knows more about F1 than he does? But I do appreciate that FOTA would not be happy (understandably so) with someone who may have present or recent links with an existing team - it leaves them (the new president) wide open to accusations of bias even when there is none.

Three letters: D. O. F.

D.O.F contest For presendency.....everyone...

atleast its not Muzza.......we will have spec cars then... :P

Roger Penske.

There, that's taken care of, let's move on.

Fukn right!
D.O.F contest For presendency.....everyone...

atleast its not Muzza.......we will have spec cars then... :P

True :lol: ! Speaking of Max, where is he??