Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Insider

Today In F1

May i remind you of a prediction you made before the season started on a now defunct forum?

"Everybody will score points about from Brawn/who cares?"

Hmm......stanger things have happened......

:lol: Fair enough, but do recall I said that BEFORE the first test :P. Now, of course I didn't predict them to be this good, so fair enough.

But Campos, US F1, and Manor don't exactly have guys like Ross Brawn on their team, either, and they did have a Honda chassis for this year that Brawn had been working on during 2008 so Brawn didn't start from complete nothing like these three are.

I think it'd be insane to think US F1, Campos, or Manor will score points on anything other than some bizarre fluke next year.

A few things had to happen at the same time for Honda/Brawn to do what they have. Firstly they had to start working on their 2009 car earlier than everyone else, Secondly they had to hire someone who could organise the team in a better way than all the other teams, Thirdly and most importantly there had to be a massive regulation change. Unless those conditions happen again in 2010 (they won't 'cos the regs are the same) we won't see any new team doing a Brawn.

The Brawn car was one of the most developed and expensive cars ever made in F1 history, so really it shouldn't have been a surprise what they did and it wasn't really very strange, at all! Only our perceptions & assumptions at the time made it strange; I think in hindsight it would have been strange if they hadn't been near the front.

Anyway, like Eric says, no matter what driver these new teams have they're still gonna be towards the back. Probably.

A few things had to happen at the same time for Honda/Brawn to do what they have. Firstly they had to start working on their 2009 car earlier than everyone else, Secondly they had to hire someone who could organise the team in a better way than all the other teams, Thirdly and most importantly there had to be a massive regulation change. Unless those conditions happen again in 2010 (they won't 'cos the regs are the same) we won't see any new team doing a Brawn.

The Brawn car was one of the most developed and expensive cars ever made in F1 history, so really it shouldn't have been a surprise what they did and it wasn't really very strange, at all! Only our perceptions & assumptions at the time made it strange; I think in hindsight it would have been strange if they hadn't been near the front.

Anyway, like Eric says, no matter what driver these new teams have they're still gonna be towards the back. Probably.

Triple Minardis all round, please!

Today, The Guardian reports that on 29 May, two weeks before the FIA announced the identity of the three successful bidders for a place on the 2010 grid, Donnelly sent a sponsorship and investment agreement about Manor to a certain 'Royal Highness' who he hoped to meet in Saudi Arabia.

The email (complete with spelling mistakes), which is allegedly from Donnelly, says "I attach both the investment and sponsorship agreement for your consideration. Virgin have signed to be investment partners with a share holding of around 20%. I will be in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia on Saturday evening and look forward to seeing you at our planned meeting at 3pm on Sunday, with representatives of Manor and Virgin. However if you woud like a pre- meeting with me privately on Sunday then please let me know, I will ofcourse be available."

If Donnelly really was touting around investment opportunities in the team before it got to the grid it raises huge conflict of interest issues.

By selling stakes in Manor, Donnelly would have been helping the team get investment which thereby improved its financial position. Clearly, no one connected to the FIA should have been favouring any prospective teams and particularly one which also has the involvement of Nick Wirth, who was one of Max Mosley's business partners in the 1990s before he launched the Simtek F1 team.

Furthermore, one has to wonder whether Donnelly would have bothered brokering deals for a team which didn't get to the grid. Then again, how could Donnelly possibly have known that it would?

According to the Guardian, Donnelly was in Saudi Arabia on official FIA business, holding meetings with its sports ministry, potential investors in new circuits and the Saudi Motorsport Federation. "I also met potential investors in Formula One," he said. "It would be odd for an FIA representative to refuse to assist in any of these projects."

That may be so but there is a big difference between assisting with a team and brokering the sale of a stake in it.

If Donnelly's response in the Guardian is anything to go by, it doesn't look as if he is denying that the email really was from him which in itself seems to raise a further question about his competence.

The email is signed off 'God Bless' which certainly does not seem to be an appropriate way to address anyone in the Arab world. After last year's revelations about Mosley's private life, the FIA surely doesn't need more embarrassment heaped on it by blunders like this.

The clean-cut Richard Branson must be cringing on reading this and it is hard to imagine how he got sucked into this crazy scheme in the first place. It could well be argued that sponsors should stick to what they do best, which is sponsoring not owning teams. Having been in F1 for less than a year Virgin is not exactly experienced in F1's eccentricities and it could soon pay the price following this latest revelation. If the email is accurate, Virgin will have gone from sponsoring the likely world champions Brawn to owning a stake in a team which, assuming it does make it to the 2010 grid, is unlikely to be regularly challenging for points far less wins.

The pit lane is buzzing with a story that FOTA will ask the FIA to re-run the 2010 selection process from scratch. Dallara may be nearing the wind tunnel stage with the new Campos, USF1 are at an advanced stage and Manor way be some way along too but something stinks here and for a brand like Prodrive/Aston Martin with their fine racing heritage and pedigree plus the ultra professional Epsilon to be denied the chance to race in F1 is mind-boggling. I don't care whose toes Dave Richards may have stepped on. It's incongruous, to say the least.

SOURCE: The Guardian & Pitpass

Interesting email just in from a well informed mate. Bruno Senna to McLaren for 2010. Hmmm.

The pit lane is buzzing with a story that FOTA will ask the FIA to re-run the 2010 selection process from scratch. Dallara may be nearing the wind tunnel stage with the new Campos, USF1 are at an advanced stage and Manor way be some way along too but something stinks here and for a brand like Prodrive/Aston Martin with their fine racing heritage and pedigree plus the ultra professional Epsilon to be denied the chance to race in F1 is mind-boggling. I don't care whose toes Dave Richards may have stepped on. It's incongruous, to say the least.

It is fascinating how dictatorial regimes easily drop into coruption...

He (Richards) was making noise few times about buying and not buying some teams. He always made sure that public is informed that someone else is to blame because he is not going to come to F1. I would not trust his committment to the sport at all. Probability that he would give up after one or two seasons is huge. I am sure he would have perfect excuses for such decision. So, I believe we are all better without Prodrive.

Edit: defining that "He=Richards"

Interesting email just in from a well informed mate. Bruno Senna to McLaren for 2010. Hmmm.

If Pantano is bad, Senna is even worse. He needs a wake up call. A famous name won't un-lock every door in the street. If any proof is needed of that look at Piquet Jnr.

Oh and joy of joys, Bulgaria wants to host a Grand Prix for 2011!.....

.....No, i don't care either.

It is fascinating how dictatorial regimes easily drop into coruption...

He (Richards) was making noise few times about buying and not buying some teams. He always made sure that public is informed that someone else is to blame because he is not going to come to F1. I would not trust his committment to the sport at all. Probability that he would give up after one or two seasons is huge. I am sure he would have perfect excuses for such decision. So, I believe we are all better without Prodrive.

Edit: defining that "He=Richards"

I don't care about DR. Prodrive had a valid entry lodged and they ticked all the boxes but were refused. Bringing a marque like Aston Martin into F1 would have given the sport huge added marketing kudos but they were refused. That's my point.

Yeah, I don't really rate Senna (though I've barely watched any GP2 in my life because its on at 4 AM and it's just not worth it for a second tier series), and I think those who do only rate him because they want him to be good, not because he is. I'd rather he have done a year of testing this year with a team, but oh wait, the FIA banned testing, so no one can ever play catch up to keep it close. Good going boys. Anyway, McLaren's way out of his league, but I can understand the move: Santander's on the way to Ferrari, but there was a rumor that Santander would keep Abbey branding on the McLarens. One of Senna's personal sponsors is Santander. Additionally, everyone keeps saying "lol Carlos Slim is involved with xxxxxxxx team." Carlos Slim already sponsors Senna through the Embratel brand (which is why I had him linked to Campos because that appeared to be where Slim was headed based on pure speculation).

Bulgaria...if its a good track, I don't care where it is. But with Tilke's hands all over it, it won't be a good track. I just hope it doesn't replace anything good. I'm not too huge on the whole traditional markets thing other than preserving the important ones (Monza, Spa, Monaco, Silverstone). And besides, all I hear from F1 fans is "why no European races?"...well, Bulgaria is in Europe :P. Of course I'm biased having a close friend in Bulgaria who could go so that'd be cool for his sake, but we'll see if it even happens, anyway. India's been delayed and I haven't heard anything about Korea which is supposed to be next year.

If Pantano is bad, Senna is even worse. He needs a wake up call. A famous name won't un-lock every door in the street. If any proof is needed of that look at Piquet Jnr.

Oh and joy of joys, Bulgaria wants to host a Grand Prix for 2011!.....

.....No, i don't care either.

You've got that right but Hammy needs a bitch!

Bulgaria...if its a good track, I don't care where it is. But with Tilke's hands all over it, it won't be a good track. I just hope it doesn't replace anything good. I'm not too huge on the whole traditional markets thing other than preserving the important ones (Monza, Spa, Monaco, Silverstone). And besides, all I hear from F1 fans is "why no European races?"...well, Bulgaria is in Europe :P . Of course I'm biased having a close friend in Bulgaria who could go so that'd be cool for his sake, but we'll see if it even happens, anyway. India's been delayed and I haven't heard anything about Korea which is supposed to be next year.

I like your bias, and I also like that you actually know where Bulgaria is :P

Somehow I'm not really excited about it, after all MotoGP signed a deal first and will do better (no rush, as with F1), plus, lately all deals for new circuits have gone to hell (again thinking MotoGP and Balatonring but also Donington and F1, not to mention India as you said). But if they're leaving Turkey (which last time was full of Bulgarian flags) then they might as well move a bit up north, and hopefully be useful.

Spot on!! You must be my Dad!

Spot on!! You must be my Dad!

Well come on, he was beaten by Pantano to the championship in GP2. I'm not saying he's awful, but there is just waaaay to much hype surronding him just because of his surname like there was with Piquet Jnr.

But i suppose a certain Nicolas Prost isn't far away either, so we'd better get used to it.

Senna isn't good enough for a Mclaren seat, I think Mclaren know that and I somehow doubt that would happen. Mclaren are rumoured to be chasing a few drivers, so even if they are considering Senna, he'd probably be bottom of their list - Rosberg top.

As for Donnelly, if he is brokering deals for Manor then he clearly shouldn't be. But a lot of things have happened with the FIA that shouldn't have done. The teams have already wrote a letter to Max about it, so it'll probably be part of the next battle.

Senna isn't good enough for a Mclaren seat, I think Mclaren know that and I somehow doubt that would happen. Mclaren are rumoured to be chasing a few drivers, so even if they are considering Senna, he'd probably be bottom of their list - Rosberg top.

As for Donnelly, if he is brokering deals for Manor then he clearly shouldn't be. But a lot of things have happened with the FIA that shouldn't have done. The teams have already wrote a letter to Max about it, so it'll probably be part of the next battle.

I have to agree that Senna is not suitable for a top seat. However, Rosberg will want No.1 status or at least, equal equipment wherever he goes and he won't get that at Macca.

Rosberg shouldn't get number one status anywhere but Williams or lower. I don't know what people see in him but whatever it is I sure don't. He isn't horrible but I have no reason to have any reason to think he's all that good.

Rosberg shouldn't get number one status anywhere but Williams or lower. I don't know what people see in him but whatever it is I sure don't. He isn't horrible but I have no reason to have any reason to think he's all that good.

What he said.

I agree he would want no.1 status, although I also agree with Eric that Rosberg/Britney probably doesn't deserve a top seat let alone top status.

I think he deserves a chance. Remember Singapore last year? Got a drive through penalty and still came 2nd. Kubica was in a better car than him and even he didn't manage that. Williams' cars have never been that great over the past few years anyway.

I think he deserves a chance. Remember Singapore last year? Got a drive through penalty and still came 2nd. Kubica was in a better car than him and even he didn't manage that. Williams' cars have never been that great over the past few years anyway.

I think I deserve a chance. Remember Foxboro four years ago? I crashed into the barriers and still came last. Kubica didn't even manage that (since he wasn't there, but shhh). Williams' drivers have never been that great over the past few years anyway.

RE: Rosberg. While I certainly don't dislike him I have to agree with some of the comments. Obviously the Williams cars he has driven aren't great but they're not junk either: look at the practice and qualifying times for this season to date. He just doesn't seem to convey that burning passion to get the most out of the car once the race begins. Maybe it's a lack of maturity, maybe he just needs different people around him. I think the jury is still out.

Remember how long it took to give him that penalty which should have been automatic?

And that's almost his only accomplishment. No, thanks. Kubica has proven more character and is way more fun to watch him race. I'd rather see Kubica driving his nuts off, bad judgement calls and everything, than another Button look a like. Guys with no character whatsoever driving the perfect car and winning is like watching a perfect circle: perfect, yes, but boring. I'd rather watch a Picasso's painting than a perfectly drawn circle. Human nature and all that, you know.

Remember how long it took to give him that penalty which should have been automatic?

And that's almost his only accomplishment. No, thanks. Kubica has proven more character and is way more fun to watch him race. I'd rather see Kubica driving his nuts off, bad judgement calls and everything, than another Button look a like. Guys with no character whatsoever driving the perfect car and winning is like watching a perfect circle: perfect, yes, but boring. I'd rather watch a Picasso's painting than a perfectly drawn circle. Human nature and all that, you know.

I love you guys. Rosberg gets slagged off for being quick and consistent in a bad car and Button is being mullah'd for a polished performance in an excellent car. You wrote him off a year ago! If you want to watch headbangers like Kubica, Massa and Hamilton who blame everyone else but themselves for shocking performances, hit the stock car circuit. Bad car or no, does anyone think that Robert and Lewis may have 'peaked' and that's it? Or are they just a pair of pouting, XBox junkies whose toys aren't working? They say great drivers should be able to get bad cars in the points. Nando does it every race virtually. The first rule is: Grow Up. The second is: Don't bite the hand the feeds you and the third is: Life is a bitch! Rosberg is highly rated in the pit lane and to my mind deserves a go in a competitive car. Maybe it's time for Toyota to ring some changes before the bosses pull the plug. The car has been competitive this year but without a pilot who can deliver the killer blow. As a racer, Trulli is a fine vintner and Sutil hasn't got equality there and ought to be a BMW target. It would certainly liven Kubica up.