Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Insider

Today In F1

gets it pregnant (wins the championship)

You lost me there. Winning the championship's a good thing :P

It would seem that Mad Max is still very unhappy. His insistence that there is unanimous consent from all teams, FOTA members and others with regard to the 2010 rules, underlines just how peeved he is at FOTA's 'takeover' of F1. Williams and Force India certainly desire reinstatement and the new teams will see membership of the Association as vital. For the new boys this carrot should be on the table today as a counter to any bullying measures or forms of censure Max may have threatened them with. Why else would he make such an issue public if he hadn't already 'nobbled' one or more of the new entrants. Clearly, he is hoping for discord - he thrives on it. Let's hope that whoever his 'plant' may be, they don't throw a spanner in the works at the Nurburgring meeting. Otherwise, it's hard to see just what FOTA have achieved since it's inception, if anything at all! On the other hand, I can't see any team wanting to be the 'odd man out' and operating outside the FOTA waggon ring. We'll see.

It's kinda funny that 3 new teams who might only last a year have veto power over next year's rules - something it took Ferrari about 60 years of competing to earn ;)

It would seem that Mad Max is still very unhappy. His insistence that there is unanimous consent from all teams, FOTA members and others with regard to the 2010 rules, underlines just how peeved he is at FOTA's 'takeover' of F1. Williams and Force India certainly desire reinstatement and the new teams will see membership of the Association as vital. For the new boys this carrot should be on the table today as a counter to any bullying measures or forms of censure Max may have threatened them with. Why else would he make such an issue public if he hadn't already 'nobbled' one or more of the new entrants. Clearly, he is hoping for discord - he thrives on it. Let's hope that whoever his 'plant' may be, they don't throw a spanner in the works at the Nurburgring meeting. Otherwise, it's hard to see just what FOTA have achieved since it's inception, if anything at all! On the other hand, I can't see any team wanting to be the 'odd man out' and operating outside the FOTA waggon ring. We'll see.

I still see a big chance that FOTA will break away Sean - there's far too much said since June, with very little signed.

What have FOTA achieved? Well, I'd agree it doesn't look very much, but they did play a good game of poker, and the unity came together that no-one expected. Throw Bernie's daft Hitler comments into the pot, mix in the underhanded Cosworth stipulations (sailing close to restrictive practise under EU law), Manor and Donnelley's bumming, a smidge of Max's temper, and we could so easily be back to the breakaway. I wait in hope...

I still see a big chance that FOTA will break away Sean - there's far too much said since June, with very little signed.

What have FOTA achieved? Well, I'd agree it doesn't look very much, but they did play a good game of poker, and the unity came together that no-one expected. Throw Bernie's daft Hitler comments into the pot, mix in the underhanded Cosworth stipulations (sailing close to restrictive practise under EU law), Manor and Donnelley's bumming, a smidge of Max's temper, and we could so easily be back to the breakaway. I wait in hope...

The whole thing is so perverse, anything could happen. A1GP is in trouble and that could be an in for FOTA - a ready-made series. However, I firmly believe Bernie and FOM will stand with the teams at the death, even if it means a break from the FIA.

Your not wrong, especially after today's walkout dramas.

It's kinda funny that 3 new teams who might only last a year have veto power over next year's rules - something it took Ferrari about 60 years of competing to earn ;)

You got that right!

Your not wrong, especially after today's walkout dramas.

Your source?

Autosport have it.

Clickety: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/76777

And here: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/76778

So the sh!t hits the fan again. If I were of a cynical bent, I'd say someone's trying to force FOTA out by any means, but trying to make it look like they jumped.

OK, Maestro, I got it. It's all over Sky. Tell you what? It was my understanding that this was a meeting of FOTA's Technical Working Group. If that was the case, I cannot see that anyone from the FIA would be invited. Maybe that's the reason for the walkout. We'll soon find out. I notice the FIA put out a mega quick press release, however.

I read the Autosport report. I was incorrect in my assumption. However, having read more detail, I would say the FOTA 8 are on their way out of F1 as it is now. Moreover, I believe Bernie may go with them. How about them apples?

Yet another classic JHS analogy, this time time it seems like it's two awkward kids arguing over the rules to a cops and robber game

"It's my game, i thought of it, it's my rules!"

"Your rules are rubbish, nobody wants to play by your rules!"

It depends what happens from here. If FOTA split with F1 it'll only create two weaker series, and could, potentially kill European open wheel.

I'm sure they'll sort it even though Max is stalling as best he can, the longer he stalls the less chance there is that FOTA will have adequate time to organise a breakaway series for next year (some would argue they didn't have time a month ago, so no chance now).

Anyway, there was no mention of any of these conditions for rulemaking when the "peace deal" was agreed, but FOTA should have known that Mad Max would pull this one.

OH, no...not all this BS again. Kill them all. Please. Then wake me up for next race.

What's so different about the faeces that has made contact with moving blades this week compared to the stuff that hit them before? They are bickering over detail. The only difference is that FOTA have less time to launch a successful breakaway.

Haven't felt this apathetic about F1 before.

Pitpass has a good editorial about it (Max in the detail, teams & CVC in the big picture).

Ferrari supplies slimmed down F2004's for A1...they are already a major player in that comp....I can see that A1 cars will race through to the end of the year, then be scrapped and replaced with manufacturer A1 cars. F1 will become A1.

The big wigs at the teams and the car makers above them will be shaking their heads...to be told that they aren't entered afterall will be the last straw for some.

Thankfully the Tour de France is on. Think I'll watch the weekend stages instead of the German GP. At least there is sport going on, and the results aren't predefined or defined by one megalomaniac.

I read the Autosport report. I was incorrect in my assumption. However, having read more detail, I would say the FOTA 8 are on their way out of F1 as it is now. Moreover, I believe Bernie may go with them. How about them apples?

Indeed, I'd agree, as long as Bernystein can be forgiven for his most recent gaff.

As sick as people are of hearing these Sh#ty politics, a sweeping change is sorely needed, the establishment (on both sides) need a shock, the 'sport' has changed so much, the FIA haven't moved with the times. Like dinosaurs, they should be put to rest.

Whilst I was away I was reading the forum most days, and got the impression that most here didn't want a breakaway based on what happened with the US single seater scene, and we'd 'lose F1 and its glorious past', well, nothing lasts forever, change (not for change's sake) can be exciting, it can be so much better with so many lessons that should(!) have been learnt. New ideas learnt from the past will never be applied as long as the teams are with the FIA as it is now.

I also read lots of posts about the problems of setting up a new series, and how it would be such a mountain to climb. One of my clients is one the largest event managemant companies in the world and we've talked about the FIA vs Fota war at length (they were invovled in talks with FOTA re this), and without saying things I shouldn't, he says it could be sorted within 5 months, remembering that it's the circuit that does most of the hard graft (tickets, advertising etc etc), other stuff like transport for the flyaways is a piece of cake. Interestingly (to me!), he reckons some of the decent sized music events and yachting events is bigger and harder to manage than this. Problems with TV? Not. He reckons they would be falling over themselves to get into it.

This is another Max time-wasting stunt. He is determined to make a FOTA breakaway series untenable for 2010. Charlie Whiting told the FOTA teams that they were ineligible to vote on the changes to the 2010 regs as their entries are still unconditional. However, they could listen in as the three new boys, Williams and FI discussed them. They walked out. Of course - so would I. The FIA then released a statement saying ALL teams had agreed on the 2010 regs, subject to the following:

I think they will race. I can't see them boycotting a race. To leave a discussion because they have been told they have no say in those discussions is one thing, and my my mind, the correct thing to do, but to boycott a race is another, not for the least matter that it would p**s off the fans - which whom are what FOTA still have, as opposed to Max and his cronies.

Indeed, I'd agree, as long as Bernystein can be forgiven for his most recent gaff.

As sick as people are of hearing these Sh#ty politics, a sweeping change is sorely needed, the establishment (on both sides) need a shock, the 'sport' has changed so much, the FIA haven't moved with the times. Like dinosaurs, they should be put to rest.

Whilst I was away I was reading the forum most days, and got the impression that most here didn't want a breakaway based on what happened with the US single seater scene, and we'd 'lose F1 and its glorious past', well, nothing lasts forever, change (not for change's sake) can be exciting, it can be so much better with so many lessons that should(!) have been learnt. New ideas learnt from the past will never be applied as long as the teams are with the FIA as it is now.

I also read lots of posts about the problems of setting up a new series, and how it would be such a mountain to climb. One of my clients is one the largest event managemant companies in the world and we've talked about the FIA vs Fota war at length (they were invovled in talks with FOTA re this), and without saying things I shouldn't, he says it could be sorted within 5 months, remembering that it's the circuit that does most of the hard graft (tickets, advertising etc etc), other stuff like transport for the flyaways is a piece of cake. Interestingly (to me!), he reckons some of the decent sized music events and yachting events is bigger and harder to manage than this. Problems with TV? Not. He reckons they would be falling over themselves to get into it.

I agree, Meds. I have it on good authority that the prep work for a FOTA series is well advanced and that the logistics are no where near as difficult as one would have initially imagined. For me, it is the only way. Multi-million pound corporations will not be ****ed around by what is little more than a dictatorial quango overseen by a sexually challenged, decrepit school bully. Why they have put up with his and his organisation's nonsensical claptrap for so many months now is beyond me. The time is here - the time is now. Stop the games and let the racing do the talking. Max must go and go now. There is no alternative. None. Unfortunately, he won't and the FOTA series will become a reality - with or without Bernie.

I think they will race. I can't see them boycotting a race. To leave a discussion because they have been told they have no say in those discussions is one thing, and my my mind, the correct thing to do, but to boycott a race is another, not for the least matter that it would p**s off the fans - which whom are what FOTA still have, as opposed to Max and his cronies.

Of course, they should race - support from the fans is paramount if the teams do breakaway - but, they must feel desperately frustrated and nothing would surprise me, to be honest.