Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Insider

Today In F1

Today in F1 Lewis Hamilton got on the podium for the first time in 2009. Jenson Button lost another four points out of his lead as he finished nearly a minute behind the McLaren. We got news that Felipe Massa is stable but will probably take months to recover. The best bit of the day for me. Renault fell foul of the general mood of paranoia amongst the officials and were banned from the European GP. The images of a bouncing wheel didn't help. RBR should have been punished too - McLaren would have been - but, survived with a small slap on the wrist. Ross Brawn realised his world beating car has probably been over-engineered in an effort to keep up with the opposition. The old adage of, 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' comes to mind. BGP have four weeks to unravel the mystery of how they've gone from hero to zero in the space of four races. A quick car is a quick car. Take the crap off it and let it be what it is, I say. It's up to the drivers to make it go faster. They can't do that unless it's on rails. It was for seven races. Back to basics then. If they blow it, Jenson will be gone. Nice drive from Glock, I thought.

Today in F1 Lewis Hamilton got on the podium for the first time in 2009. Jenson Button lost another four points out of his lead as he finished nearly a minute behind the McLaren. We got news that Felipe Massa is stable but will probably take months to recover. The best bit of the day for me. Renault fell foul of the general mood of paranoia amongst the officials and were banned from the European GP. The images of a bouncing wheel didn't help. RBR should have been punished too - McLaren would have been - but, survived with a small slap on the wrist. Ross Brawn realised his world beating car has probably been over-engineered in an effort to keep up with the opposition. The old adage of, 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' comes to mind. BGP have four weeks to unravel the mystery of how they've gone from hero to zero in the space of four races. A quick car is a quick car. Take the crap off it and let it be what it is, I say. It's up to the drivers to make it go faster. They can't do that unless it's on rails. It was for seven races. Back to basics then. If they blow it, Jenson will be gone. Nice drive from Glock, I thought.

Good post, but it you must also look into the fact that others are catching up or infact got better as many in this forum predicted Brawns may not continue dominating when the European races start. I don't really think Renault have improved that much. It was all due to almost empty tanks and good drive from Nando, but Mclaren have made a major step forward and will continue getting better no matter what others do. Ferrari are getting better bit by bit they would win too, Redbulls will get better, so in my opinion Brawns may not be having that monster of a car they had before, but they will fix their problems for sure. Jenson can still win the WDC with the second best car.

Good post, but it you must also look into the fact that others are catching up or infact got better as many in this forum predicted Brawns may not continue dominating when the European races start. I don't really think Renault have improved that much. It was all due to almost empty tanks and good drive from Nando, but Mclaren have made a major step forward and will continue getting better no matter what others do. Ferrari are getting better bit by bit they would win too, Redbulls will get better, so in my opinion Brawns may not be having that monster of a car they had before, but they will fix their problems for sure. Jenson can still win the WDC with the second best car.

Of course, RBR, McLaren and Ferrari have all progressed - they had to. My point is, just how much of a step have have they taken in comparison with the regression of the BGP001. RBR had a goodish car 'out of the box' this year anyway but like all the others, a completely redesigned diffuser and floor were basic necessities to get within striking distance of BGP. Maranello took some considerable time to deploy those changes and Woking a while longer. Two and a half seconds is a monster improvement, especially with KERS on board. In reality, looking back at the first race of the season, RBR have probably found no more than 4/10ths overall, Ferrari, 6/10ths perhaps and McLaren, a monster 7-8/10ths. By my calculations, the BGP001 has 'lost' at least, second and a half to it's closest rivals. It's not a matter of the others catching up as much as a rearward movement of the 'Brackley Rocket'. Sure, they are tyre issues but they are relatively simple to fix. It would have perhaps been easier to find a way to accommodate a KERS unit, in an effort to create a heavier car and promote more downforce than to utilise experimental aero parts, none of which has been tested sufficiently and consequently, have hardly been successful. McLaren have virtually rebuilt their car from the ground up - they had to - you can't polish a turd! Ferrari have had to follow the same sort of plan. I believe that in Monaco spec, the BGP is the still the quickest car out there, if only by a whisker. But, that's all you need to win. That and a highly motivated, skilled driver. Jens doesn't want to win the WDC by hoping McLaren and Ferrari's improvement temper RBR's efforts. He wants to WIN!! Gracing the top step of the podium has become an opiate for JB and he's hooked. He is badly in need of a fix and Ross needs to get his finger out and deliver. That's what they asked the boy from Somerset to do and he has completed his mission with honour. Now he wants his gun back.

EDIT: Typo

Of course, RBR, McLaren and Ferrari have all progressed - they had to. My point is, just how much of a step have have they taken in comparison with the regression of the BGP001. RBR had a goodish car 'out of the box' this year anyway but like all the others, a completely redesigned diffuser and floor were basic necessities to get within striking distance of BGP. Maranello took some considerable time to deploy those changes and Woking a while longer. Two and a half seconds is a monster improvement, especially with KERS on board. In reality, looking back at the first race of the season, RBR have probably found no more than 4/10ths overall, Ferrari, 6/10ths perhaps and McLaren, a monster 7-8/10ths. By my calculations, the BGP001 has 'lost' at least, second and a half to it's closest rivals. It's not a matter of the others catching up as much as a rearward movement of the 'Brackley Rocket'. Sure, they are tyre issues but they are relatively simple to fix. It would have perhaps been easier to find a way to accommodate a KERS unit, in an effort to create a heavier car and promote more downforce than to utilise experimental aero parts, none of which has been tested sufficiently and consequently, have hardly been successful. McLaren have virtually rebuilt their car from the ground up - they had to - you can't polish a turd! Ferrari have had to follow the same sort of plan. I believe that in Monaco spec, the BGP is the still the quickest car out there, if only by a whisker. But, that's all you need to win. That and a highly motivated, skilled driver. Jens doesn't want to win the WDC by hoping McLaren and Ferrari's improvement temper RBR's efforts. He wants to WIN!! Gracing the top step of the podium has become an opiate for JB and he's hooked. He is badly in need of a fix and Ross needs to get his finger out and deliver. That's what they asked the boy from Somerset to do and he has completed his mission with honour. Now he wants his gun back.

It still looks like Brawns can win, I am glad that this season is not as boring as it looked initially. Weather its Mclaren or Brawn or Redbulls who are going to win next race, I just want some racing and wheel banging.

I just wonder how much being "Dawid" hurts them, and not having sufficient sponsers...tough tough job to stay in front with all the resources and cash the other teams have.

I just wonder how much being "Dawid" hurts them, and not having sufficient sponsers...tough tough job to stay in front with all the resources and cash the other teams have.

Yup, and now as they start losing, their "value" is dropping in the eyes of any sponsors. They should have taken someone on five races ago...if not even further back. Sometimes the first offer is usually the best. Now they will be going back cap in hand to someone that had offered them something, and they turned them down...only for said sponsor to now say the price is lower than first offered.

They're surviving on Honda money now...but next year?????

It still looks like Brawns can win, I am glad that this season is not as boring as it looked initially. Weather its Mclaren or Brawn or Redbulls who are going to win next race, I just want some racing and wheel banging.

I have been discussing the 'BGP tyre' issue with some former colleagues from Renault and Michelin. The Brawns were massively quick in pre-season at Barca on a 'cold' track. Was their diffuser really worth two seconds over the rest of the field? JB and Rubens both said the car was 'on rails'. In China, tyres were definitely not an issue for Brawn - the weather held the key. My man from Michelin says he smells a conspiracy between Bridgestone, the FIA and FOM. Brawn's run of wins was getting boring. Unfortunately, as I know only too well, conspiracy theories are a common trait among the French. Compounds can indeed be changed, though the tyres look identical to the rest of the stock. It did happen in the old days with Michelin favouring Renault and Goodyear using Ferrari spec as their template. In fact, it has long been common knowledge in the pit lane that Max was instrumental in convincing Bridgestone, after Goodyear's departure in 1999 that they should be making a tyre to Ferrari spec and everyone else would have to make do as a result. To add fuel to the fire, my friend pointed out that James Gresham, Bridgestone's Logistics Supremo since 1997, formerly worked for Max at March. That no one could even sniff Schui's tailpipe for the next five years adds some substance to the story. It could be that Michelin man may be on to something but it's a fair bit to swallow. Personally, though I know that former calibration problems with wind tunnels have apparently been resolved, it's certainly an area that I would be looking at if I were BGP. The updates haven't worked and they came from the same design team who helped build the car. That would be my critical area of focus, for sure.

Yup, and now as they start losing, their "value" is dropping in the eyes of any sponsors. They should have taken someone on five races ago...if not even further back. Sometimes the first offer is usually the best. Now they will be going back cap in hand to someone that had offered them something, and they turned them down...only for said sponsor to now say the price is lower than first offered.

They're surviving on Honda money now...but next year?????

There will be a certain amount of concern in that area. There will certainly be Mercedes cash if RBR stay with Renault. If I were Brawn, I'd be talking to Jaime Alguersuari. He has WDC written all over him and would be a perfect foil for Button or indeed, a prime replacement if BGP lose him the Championship. Believe me, he'll be sitting in a Williams or BMW if that happens. JA would also attract sponsor like flies. It must happen now though, irrespective of any RBR contractual binds. Fry has been extremely quiet and I thing he will go. He's useless. However, I believe any sponsor worth their salt would be waiting out the year before jumping in.

Don't know what you mean by "Dawid". They have cash and own far better resources than most other teams - at least for this season. My guess is Brackley is already developing the 2010 car and the upgrades are part of that package. No one ever expected them to get this far but the aero add-ons are crap. back to the drawing board. They have two Championships to win.

Just crazy idea.

What if Massa retires? He is going to become father. He might not be willing to take such high risks as before becoming a father. Same happened witk Mika Hakkinen, since becoming father he lost interest in F1 racing, and year later retired.

Don't know what you mean by "Dawid". They have cash and own far better resources than most other teams - at least for this season. My guess is Brackley is already developing the 2010 car and the upgrades are part of that package. No one ever expected them to get this far but the aero add-ons are crap. back to the drawing board. They have two Championships to win.

I guess I was under a misconception....

Just crazy idea.

What if Massa retires? He is going to become father. He might not be willing to take such high risks as before becoming a father. Same happened witk Mika Hakkinen, since becoming father he lost interest in F1 racing, and year later retired.

Alonso joins Ferrari, Heidfeld goes to Renault, Rosberg goes to McLaren, Kovi goes to Brawn, Sutil goes to BMW, Paffett to Force India. Biggest nightmare is if Kimi quits too. He's a Finn. They hate parting with money. Guess if that did happen, and with Alonso and Santander on board, they'd snap up Jaime.

I guess I was under a misconception....

They own the infrastructure of Brackley including the wind tunnels plus the trucks and motorhome. They have cash from liquidating the redundancy package from Honda and $250K a race from Virgin. Jenson is racing for peanuts as is Rubens. Honda may become a sponsor - they still have to sell cars.

They own the infrastructure of Brackley including the wind tunnels plus the trucks and motorhome. They have cash from liquidating the redundancy package from Honda and $250K a race from Virgin. Jenson is racing for peanuts as is Rubens. Honda may become a sponsor - they still have to sell cars.

I don't think money is the problem either Sean, but I do wonder what impact Zander leaving has had on the team - I really can't see the tyre problem being aero, it has to be mechanical (which I understand was Zander's job). I really, really don't want to believe your Bridgestone/FOM/FIA conspiracy, but stranger things......

One thing is clear for me, whatever happens with this year's championship, I think JB should be looking for another seat next year - he's proven that with the car under him he can run at the front and, whilst it's fresh in people's minds, he should capitalize on it. Mind you, I told him to leave two years ago and he didn't listen to me then either :P

My thoughts, Brawn are now on the backfoot & all the struggling teams are moving up!

That's what we have been discussing, isn't it?

I have been discussing the 'BGP tyre' issue with some former colleagues from Renault and Michelin. The Brawns were massively quick in pre-season at Barca on a 'cold' track. Was their diffuser really worth two seconds over the rest of the field? JB and Rubens both said the car was 'on rails'. In China, tyres were definitely not an issue for Brawn - the weather held the key. My man from Michelin says he smells a conspiracy between Bridgestone, the FIA and FOM. Brawn's run of wins was getting boring. Unfortunately, as I know only too well, conspiracy theories are a common trait among the French. Compounds can indeed be changed, though the tyres look identical to the rest of the stock. It did happen in the old days with Michelin favouring Renault and Goodyear using Ferrari spec as their template. In fact, it has long been common knowledge in the pit lane that Max was instrumental in convincing Bridgestone, after Goodyear's departure in 1999 that they should be making a tyre to Ferrari spec and everyone else would have to make do as a result. To add fuel to the fire, my friend pointed out that James Gresham, Bridgestone's Logistics Supremo since 1997, formerly worked for Max at March. That no one could even sniff Schui's tailpipe for the next five years adds some substance to the story. It could be that Michelin man may be on to something but it's a fair bit to swallow. Personally, though I know that former calibration problems with wind tunnels have apparently been resolved, it's certainly an area that I would be looking at if I were BGP. The updates haven't worked and they came from the same design team who helped build the car. That would be my critical area of focus, for sure.

Oh, free tinfoil hats! Can I have one?

Oh, free tinfoil hats! Can I have one?

Naughty :P

I think the conspiracy is bollocks too, like most conspiracy theories are. A more rational explanation for me is that 2 things have happened, 1) The big manufacturers have caught up and developed very quickly like we suspected they would, 2) As JB suggests, Brawn have gone backwards due to some faulty update on the car (which we have seen so many times with top teams before).

Brawn seem to have lost about 7-8 tenths somewhere and that's what Macca have gained over the last few races, hence the shift of power at the front.

Naughty :P

I think the conspiracy is bollocks too, like most conspiracy theories are. A more rational explanation for me is that 2 things have happened, 1) The big manufacturers have caught up and developed very quickly like we suspected they would, 2) As JB suggests, Brawn have gone backwards due to some faulty update on the car (which we have seen so many times with top teams before).

Brawn seem to have lost about 7-8 tenths somewhere and that's what Macca have gained over the last few races, hence the shift of power at the front.

I don't believe I said anything different to that. Of course, the conspiracy angle doesn't digest very well - they never do. It's only one man's opinion. He worked for Michelin for twenty years.

:lol:

You can laugh. Wait until your wheels fall off!