Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Insider

Today In F1

I don't believe I said anything different to that. Of course, the conspiracy angle doesn't digest very well - they never do. It's only one man's opinion. He worked for Michelin for twenty years.

I don't believe I ever said you said anything different to that, I was just using it as a platform for my post :P

In other news, today in F1...

Kubica eyes WRC debut

By David Evans Tuesday, July 28th 2009, 08:15 GMT

In the week when Ferrari's Kimi Raikkonen will make his World Rally Championship debut on Rally Finland, BMW Formula 1 driver Robert Kubica says he expects to follow the Finn into rallying.

Answering readers' questions in this month's F1 Racing magazine, Kubica talks about his enjoyment of the sport and his admiration of the drivers in the WRC.

Earlier this year, there was speculation that Kubica would be making his own WRC debut at Rally Poland in his own Skoda Fabia WRC. There was no truth in those rumours and he kept a low profile during his nation's return to WRC. But Kubica is confident he will be on the stages at some point in his career.

"I'm a big fan of rallying," he said. "I really enjoy watching it and I would like to do some rallying just for fun. As for the future, whether I'll have the opportunity to do some rallying really depends on which stage of my career I'm at.

"I'd say there is a high possibility that I'll be in some rallies. I've had a rally car for five or six years and used to drive it quite a lot."

Having tested his own rally cars, Kubica says he can appreciate the skills required to keep the car between the trees.

"There are many [rally] drivers I really respect and, when I've tried a bit of rallying in the past, I know what big balls these guys have. Big balls," he added. "To be on the limit, to fight for tenths of a second on roads lined with trees - in racing, we know every corner and every kerb. But rallying is different.

I like Tommi Makinen, Colin McRae, Richard Burns, Carlos Sainz and now, of course, Sebastien Loeb. I also like the way Mikko Hirvonen is driving at the moment."

Source

Another F1 ace with a passion for rallying, good to see.

What would be good to see would be the drivers being allowed to race something else, now and again.

I understand that though Felipe is making rapid progress now, talking to his family, walking a bit, there is doubt that he would be able to drive an F1 car again. If it is true, it's a heartbreaker.

:lol: its better than worn out wheels... :P

I will treat the remark with the disdain it deserves - go an boil your head in oil!

Looks like Piquet is well on his way.

Piquet and Briatore in war of words

By Michele Lostia and Pablo Elizalde Tuesday, July 28th 2009, 11:35 GMT

A war of words between Renault boss Flavio Briatore and Nelson Piquet has increased speculation that the Brazilian driver is unlikely to finish the season with the team.

Piquet admitted ahead of the Hungarian Grand Prix that his place at the team was in doubt, with rumours having already suggested he could have been absent from the Hungaroring race, where the Brazilian qualified in 15th and finished in 12th.

Speaking to Autosprint magazine, Briatore said he expected more from Piquet and was critical of the driver for "opening the book of excuses" for his lack of results.

"I've always been fair with my drivers," Briatore was quoted as saying by Autosprint. "I expected more from Piquet because this is his second year with a full-time drive. He's done less testing compared to Alonso, but Webber as well tested less than Vettel because of his broken leg, but look where he is now.

"When a driver lacks results, he opens the book of excuses and begins: the fault is the weather's, a spectator's sunglasses, a spin on the straight, this and that...

"It's not true that there's a technical difference of seven tenths between Alonso's and Piquet's car. If that was true, we'd have a car capable of winning the title, and that unfortunately isn't the case. The technical difference has always been minimal and never longer than one race."

Piquet, who is yet to score a point this season, was critical of his team boss, saying he only thinks about money.

The Brazilian driver claimed Briatore, who left Sunday's race before it was over after Fernando Alonso had retired, has no respect for him.

"Flavio is a business man, but he doesn't understand s*** about F1," Piquet was quoted as saying by the Italian magazine. "He's my manager, but in his role of team boss he doesn't respect me.

"He only thinks about money, at how much money he can pocket in everything he's involved, he's a man with no friends. Every day everyone asks me what's going on, so why should I always keep quiet?

"Webber has been in F1 since 2001, he started in a different era, when testing wasn't limited. He's probably done more than 20,000 kms in testing, so it's not a fair comparison. Now the situation is more difficult for a driver with little experience.

"And besides that, I have to fight against Briatore and Alonso himself, who is a fantastic driver. When I wasn't competitive in qualifying, I was the first owing up to it. But if Briatore doesn't understand that, what can I do?"

Source

Certainly the words of a man who knows he has nothing more to lose.

The words of a man in the wrong profession and a classic case of a father trying to relive his life through that of his son.

Piquet replacing Vettel? (Senior of course)

Does he have his driving license back??

YES!!!! My pubes are saved!!!!

:lol: ...well. I want to see more of this...bring it on Piquet...

The wires are humming tonight with speculation that BMW will announce it's withdrawal from F1 tomorrow. An emergency press conference has been called at BMW's headquarters in Munich. It is suspected that the company has decided to end its involvement in F1.

The press conference will be hosted by Dr. Norbert Reithofer, chairman of the BMW board, Dr. Klaus Draeger, director for development, and Mario Theissen, BMW motorsport director. The presence of such senior management figures is considered ominous.

So, Kubica to Ferrari?

The wires are humming tonight with speculation that BMW will announce it's withdrawal from F1 tomorrow. An emergency press conference has been called at BMW's headquarters in Munich. It is suspected that the company has decided to end its involvement in F1.

The press conference will be hosted by Dr. Norbert Reithofer, chairman of the BMW board, Dr. Klaus Draeger, director for development, and Mario Theissen, BMW motorsport director. The presence of such senior management figures is considered ominous.

So, Kubica to Ferrari?

Pff, I'd most likely expect him at Renault when Fernando goes Ferrari ;)

Pff, I'd most likely expect him at Renault when Fernando goes Ferrari ;)

Flabbio and Kubica? Nah, bad mix. Anyway, I am expecting Renault and Toyota to come out too. Briatore may buy the Renault F1 Team, as such if that happened and we'd be down to 22 cars. BMW may still offer power trains but who'd want them? Mecachrome are in financial trouble and would need to keep supplying F1 engines to survive. With Max gone, Prodrive and Epsilon could come in for 2011. My JB to Ferrari scheme is far too business-like and sensible and therefore will probably not happen.

Good job Renault won't be in Valencia. They have no drivers.

Go Piquet Jnr! You get in there boy....a bit of a laff as they say :)

Robert Kubica to replace Barrichello at Brawn.

Damn...wrong thread....

...though how can I be blamed for that when no one has started the "Who's going to replace Rubens" thread.

Go Piquet Jnr! You get in there boy....a bit of a laff as they say :)

Robert Kubica to replace Barrichello at Brawn.

Damn...wrong thread....

...though how can I be blamed for that when no one has started the "Who's going to replace Rubens" thread.

They don't have the cash, Kiwi. Jaime is the man. I've watched them all come and go. He's 100% WDC material, to my mind and will prove a perfect catalyst and foil for JB - if the latter stays put.

They don't have the cash, Kiwi. Jaime is the man. I've watched them all come and go. He's 100% WDC material, to my mind and will prove a perfect catalyst and foil for JB - if the latter stays put.

Or alternatively, toiling around in last place for the next five or six races may just kill Jaime's future career in F1.

Or alternatively, toiling around in last place for the next five or six races may just kill Jaime's future career in F1.

Those who know real potential when they see it won't let that happen. Seems to me, we have another Prost in the making here. He drives clean, thinks clearly, communicates well and seems well-versed technically. perfect for Brawn, I say. Certainly, a better bet than Senna, I think.

Those who know real potential when they see it won't let that happen. Seems to me, we have another Prost in the making here. He drives clean, thinks clearly, communicates well and seems well-versed technically. perfect for Brawn, I say. Certainly, a better bet than Senna, I think.

Another Prost??????

Other than both winning British F3, I think the comparisons may just end there. I think it's way too early to tell. Good luck to the guy 'n all, though.

Another Prost??????

Other than both winning British F3, I think the comparisons may just end there. I think it's way too early to tell. Good luck to the guy 'n all, though.

I did say, 'in the making'. He's driving a dog and it's tough to evaluate his potential. I watched the 3 free practice streams on the BBC and was impressed with the way he handled the car and himself. He didn't drop it or beach it all weekend.

Another Prost??????

Yarp - too early to tell. We wait and see.

I did say, 'in the making'. He's driving a dog and it's tough to evaluate his potential. I watched the 3 free practice streams on the BBC and was impressed with the way he handled the car and himself. He didn't drop it or beach it all weekend.

Yarp - he had a measured approach, and it was a good debut in a poor car so he proved a lot of people wrong already. That don't count for much though, we'll see.

Well it's been a hectic few days. Massa will never race again and then he's fine [thank your God], MS returns after 126 denials, [at least!] with a dodgy Super Licence, Peter Sauber is left standing with his private parts in one hand and 20% of nothing in the other, bemoaning any realistic chance of a rescue, despite FOTA's pledge of help and the erratic Kubica, [F1's equivelant of Leonard Cohen - another brilliant compulsive depressive] and ultra-reliable Heidfeld are on the loose. Epsilon Euskadi salivate over the chance to move into BMW's still warm bed and Tony Kanaan's crew have a damn good try at roasting him.

MS couldn't have done his former strategist a bigger favour. Michael is now BGP's No.1 fox in the henhouse. Whether the car gets better or not, I believe JB can survive the trials ahead and snatch the WDC. If he does, it will be with the added kudos of achieving it in a year, when the man some acknowledge as the greatest F1 driver on earth was in the field, albeit at 40 years of age and for only half a season. The Somerset Smoothie was stunning at the front end of the contest, taking six out of seven and deserves the gong for that feat alone. Kimi will either hit the vodka or step up to the plate at long last. Bernie is dribbling like a ravenous hyena over a lame baby gazelle and Lewis will probably spend more time off the track than on, smashing his KERS button into oblivion as he tries to chase the Red Baron down. Bring it on!

Edit: Typo

Well it's been a hectic few days. Massa will never race again and then he's fine [thank your God], MS returns after 126 denials, [at least!] with a dodgy Super Licence, Peter Sauber is left standing with his private parts in one hand and 20% of nothing in the other, bemoaning any realistic chance of a rescue, despite FOTA's pledge of help and the erratic Kubica, [F1's equivelant of Leonard Cohen - another brilliant compulsive depressive] and ultra-reliable Heidfeld are on the loose. Epsilon Euskadi salivate over the chance to move into BMW's still warm bed and Tony Kanaan's crew have a damn good try at roasting him.

MS couldn't have done his former strategist a bigger favour. Michael is now BGP's No.1 fox in the henhouse. Whether the car gets better or not, I believe JB can survive the trials ahead and snatch the WDC. If he does, it will be with the added kudos of achieving it in a year, when the man some acknowledge as the greatest F1 driver on earth was in the field, albeit at 40 years of age and for only half a season. The Somerset Smoothie was stunning at the front end of the contest, taking six out of seven and deserves the gong for that feat alone. Kimi will either hit the vodka or step up to the plate at long last. Bernie is dribbling like a ravenous hyena over a lame baby gazelle and Lewis will probably spend more time off the track than on, smashing his KERS button into oblivion as he tries to chase the Red Baron down. Bring it on!

Edit: Typo

Come again? (where's that whistling guy when you need him?)