Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Insider

Today In F1

The BBC and Sky are to share (and in the case of the BBC, not cover all of the races) television coverage from 2012-2018. As an avid fan of the BBC, I have mixed emotions. Good that they have retained at least some coverage, bad that it has gone to Sky and that I will now have to pay to view.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9550930.stm

Thoughts?

p**sed off doesn't cover it. People from outside the UK will just take this for us having been spoilt and now moaning, but I'm furious.

No way I'm paying for Sky. No freaking way.

Well done Bernie for destroying the viewing figures in the UK. Just as races here where enjoying the biggest numbers of people watching EVER, you do this. Oh well, it's his sport he's destroying, but I guess he'll fail to notice the massive drop off in viewing figures for being too busy counting his money.

The BBC and Sky are to share (and in the case of the BBC, not cover all of the races) television coverage from 2012-2018. As an avid fan of the BBC, I have mixed emotions. Good that they have retained at least some coverage, bad that it has gone to Sky and that I will now have to pay to view.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9550930.stm

Thoughts?

I don't see it as being a good move, to be honest. I already get sky sports, so it makes no difference to me from that point of view, but from the viewing figures I saw recently, I can't see sky classing this as a 'primary' sport. I can see F1 being moved around the sky sports channels depending on what else is on and what they class as more popular.

Calm down. The totally unbiased source who made the claim did say 'probably'. In my unbiase view, Alonso 'probably isn't'.

Calm down. The totally unbiased source who made the claim did say 'probably'. In my unbiase view, Alonso 'probably isn't'.

:lol:

Gotta love the way they presented Daddy Hammy's views as if it was the findings of a multidisciplinary research board.

Welcome to the rest of the world? The rest of the world sucks! Seriously, we have been spoiled over here. The BBC's coverage is, I would guess (without seeing any other coverage from other countries :lol:), the best in the world. So I think it's a damn shame for those who can't afford Sky (which does cost a ridiculous amount of money although you can threaten to unsubscribe and usually get a massive reduction ;)), or those who just don't like Rupert Murdoch (although I can't imagine why that would be the case)! Will it kill viewing figures? Difficult to say, a hell of a lot of people do have Sky, especially people who are interested in sports, so the figures would probably still be strong and you might even pick up some new ones with Sky advertising it. Still, it sucks, and even the rumours about C4 and C5 potentially broadcasting it would be preferable.

Also agree with Pablo, I can see it being moved around.

If you already have Sky, whats the problem?

If you haven't got Sky, then now maybe you get it, and you get a whole lot of other channels along with it you never had.

If you haven't got it, and you don't want to get it, at least you get the racing in the middle of the day (not midnight like for moi), and can go to the pub and watch it with fellow fans. Heck, you might make a new friend, or even learn new words to call Alonso.

Everyone is so ****ing negative about everything these days....

Storm in a tea-cup to garner some lines in the press.

We have had it on Sky since the mid-nineties. And it's grown from race only coverage, to race and some qually, to qually and race, to FP1, FP2, FP3, qually and race, to GP2, GP3, FP1, FP2, FP3, qually, and race. And it hasn't cost an extra cent. In the meantime, Sky has added at least another 10-channels, and there are replays through the week. So what if it costs $5 a week? Don't buy yourself that cup of coffee from Starbucks if you think things are too expensive.

Now...on with the show!

I am far from impressed. Although I have access to Sky Player (via a friend who doesn't own a computer) I should be able to watch them but it's disappointing to see F1 go onto pay TV. I am sure the teams can't be that happy either because if I know Bernie they won't see a penny of the extra proceeds, and are likely to lose a substantial amount of viewers.

Where? Who says?

All just negative clap trap talk. Has football lost viewership being on pay TV? No. Has anything ever lost viewership being on pay TV? No.

Society is moving and has moved to user pays. There are no free lunches in life.

If you already have Sky, whats the problem?

If you haven't got Sky, then now maybe you get it, and you get a whole lot of other channels along with it you never had.

If you haven't got it, and you don't want to get it, at least you get the racing in the middle of the day (not midnight like for moi), and can go to the pub and watch it with fellow fans. Heck, you might make a new friend, or even learn new words to call Alonso.

Everyone is so ****ing negative about everything these days....

Storm in a tea-cup to garner some lines in the press.

We have had it on Sky since the mid-nineties. And it's grown from race only coverage, to race and some qually, to qually and race, to FP1, FP2, FP3, qually and race, to GP2, GP3, FP1, FP2, FP3, qually, and race. And it hasn't cost an extra cent. In the meantime, Sky has added at least another 10-channels, and there are replays through the week. So what if it costs $5 a week? Don't buy yourself that cup of coffee from Starbucks if you think things are too expensive.

Now...on with the show!

Not really "a storm in a tea-cup" here. You only have to look at the furious reaction from British fans on loads of different forums to see that it is far from just "a storm in a tea-cup".

I've never had Sky. For one, I'm not paying money to such an organisation as Sky, and for £600 a year for just F1...forget it. I'll live without.

So just 10 races for me next year. Think that'll start to kill of my F1 interest. It'll go from something that was not to miss to something I'll watch if I remembered it's on. Afterall, what's the point in just following half a season and having to put up with butchered highlights where you'll already know the result before you watch for all the others? Completely stupid.

Good luck finding a pub that'll show F1 over football I all I can say.

If you want me, I'll be over by BTCC.

All just negative clap trap talk. Has football lost viewership being on pay TV? No. Has anything ever lost viewership being on pay TV? No.

Umm...yes? Substantially so. Let me put it to you this way. Some big football match that was on Sky a few weeks ago got 1.8 million viewers. BBC gets that from stupid obscure programmes like antiques roadshow.

Look at the way cricket and boxing. When they were on BBC they enjoyed massive viewing figures, and they should do now because England does quite well in Cricket. But the truth is that nobody gives a damn because it is on Sky.

To quote Bernie Ecclestone just a few weeks ago.

“Sky is doing an incredible job but if you look at their audience figures they are nowhere. With these figures it would be almost impossible for teams to find sponsors. That would be suicidal.”

Where? Who says?

Society is moving and has moved to user pays. There are no free lunches in life.

Not true. A lot of websites are going free, and relying on advertising, hell they're even offering some games for free and putting advertising in them. Same with music as well (things like Spotify, Youtube, ETC). Yes, viewing would be substantially reduced. Football may remain popular over here, but JHS is right viewing figures would fall

I agree with Handyman, too much negativity. Why can't people just be positive about being unable to properly follow their favourite sports anymore? I just don't see how that could be a bad thing!

:D

I agree with Handyman, too much negativity. Why can't people just be positive about being unable to properly follow their favourite sports anymore? I just don't see how that could be a bad thing!

I guess you're right. The fans are going to suffer, but bernie can expand his already bulging wallet. Go bernie!

Yeah, I mean we have the radio rights remaining! Will be like 1940s Britain, everyone tuning in to hear the latest on the war race.

Bah, what a bunch of sissies! Back in my days, you didn't get to watch the races. All you got was one guy making shadow puppets. Believe me, Dijon 79 made with shadow puppets was not as charming as people seems to believe today.

One can watch live streaming (I mean video proper, not just timings) on the internets. There're plenty of feeds, ranging from grainy to HD video. If you've a good connection, you'll get virtually no lag.

Where? Who says?

I think in fairness Craig, you need to understand a bit of background.

Formula One was on the BBC when I was growing up. It then went to ITV in 1997, and we had to put up with adverts. When it returned to the BBC it felt like F1 had come home. Finally, it was in its rightful place, broadcast in a world class way.

I do pay for my F1, through my licence fee. To now have the BBC walk away through budget cuts and for me to probably not be able to afford Sky, is a bitter blow. I don't sit in fron of the TV all day, and so getting sky will be difficult to justify. It's not moaning for moanings sake, and I have no problem with progress. But this does not feel like progress.

I wouldn't mind paying 10 € for every race I watch or 150 € for the whole season but never would pay for something like Sky if I'm not gonna watch it. We don't have Sky in Spain but La Sexta is just a some of F1 in the middle of an advertising festival. I don't enjoy watching it on TV that way but there's no option you can buy race by race.

Formula One was on the BBC when I was growing up. It then went to ITV in 1997, and we had to put up with adverts. When it returned to the BBC it felt like F1 had come home. Finally, it was in its rightful place, broadcast in a world class way.

I do pay for my F1, through my licence fee. To now have the BBC walk away through budget cuts and for me to probably not be able to afford Sky, is a bitter blow. I don't sit in fron of the TV all day, and so getting sky will be difficult to justify. It's not moaning for moanings sake, and I have no problem with progress. But this does not feel like progress.

The current Concorde Agreements contains a 'free-to-air' guarantee to the teams. This agreement was not amended or discussed before FOM brought Sky on board. This is a flagrant breach of the CA. There will be a reaction - eventually. FOTA have yet to discuss the development at length yet but I am assured that they will. For me, this has all the signs of being a precursor to allowing the slimy Murdoch crime family to get their filthy paws on F1's media rights. Bernie cares little where money comes from as long as he has more than he could spend in a hundred lifetimes. He seriously underrates the power and venom of the German courts too. Historically, they view bribery very dimly indeed. With a bit of luck, he could be banged up. I would have no problem giving the government a reasonable increase in the licence fee if they were to stick to their recent promise to put substantial funding in place in order to bring back all the main sporting events to the Corporation. What happened to that? I think I just might start a Facebook campaign on this.

Well said. Here's an insight from a reader of F1 Fanatic in Finland.

I sincerely believe pay TV was F1′s undoing in Finland. The popularity of the sport has declined dramatically here both in terms of viewers and general interest since it was moved from the free MTV3 channel to the pay channel MTV MAX from the 2007 season onwards, and not even Kimi Räikkönen’s 2007 championship was able to revive it. His later departure from F1 was just the final nail in the coffin.

It might of course help if [Heikki] Kovalainen drove something faster and more competitive than a four-wheel bicycle, but from the point of view of a “casual” viewer one of F1′s big selling points is still the live action, while the “free” post-race one-hour recaps we now get obviously have none of that appeal.

F1 may still be the most “popular” motorsports in Finland, but unfortunately that’s not saying much anymore.

http://www.f1fanatic.../2011/08/04/48/

The current Concorde Agreements contains a 'free-to-air' guarantee to the teams. This agreement was not amended or discussed before FOM brought Sky on board. This is a flagrant breach of the CA. There will be a reaction - eventually. FOTA have yet to discuss the development at length yet but I am assured that they will. For me, this has all the signs of being a precursor to allowing the slimy Murdoch crime family to get their filthy paws on F1's media rights. Bernie cares little where money comes from as long as he has more than he could spend in a hundred lifetimes. He seriously underrates the power and venom of the German courts too. Historically, they view bribery very dimly indeed. With a bit of luck, he could be banged up. I would have no problem giving the government a reasonable increase in the licence fee if they were to stick to their recent promise to put substantial funding in place in order to bring back all the main sporting events to the Corporation. What happened to that? I think I just might start a Facebook campaign on this.

I don't think it is a "free to air guarantee". At least an article I read said otherwise, saying that the clause was worded loosely to allow Bernie to do what he has done (which makes sense to me, otherwise he wouldn't have done it without consulting the teams). As far as I know from what I read all the CA states is that in certain key territories F1 must not be shown only on pay TV, basically. So of course, with the Beeb retaining some coverage, Bernie has not broken that. In any case even if it was a breach, which I don't think it is, then the teams seem quite happy about the new deal anyway from the statements I've seen, so I'd be surprised if they made any noises about it. Of course only weeks before Whitmarsh was singing a different tune about FOTA looking after the fans, controlling where the sport goes etc, but that was before the promise of the Sky money, which helps remind us all that these corporations only really care about their bottom line.

Isn't it annoying the secrecy they surround everything with?

Whiting says today, India circuit and GP preparations exceeded our expectations following our inspection... Can't they, wouldn't it be nice to send/join a few pics so we can see something? So we can judge by ourselves where they're at?