Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Insider

Today In F1

Good news, apparently she is in stable conditions, injuries being less serious than predicted.

Marussia is expected to issue a full report later.

I don't think they run an electronic throttle link.

It must be some sort of throttle failure nevertheless.

In any case, I hope she recovers well and is able to continue her career in motorsports

OK

I think Craig was aiming at the fact that the car seemed to have suddenly accelerated on its own when she was manoeuvering towards the pitstop area. A freakish accident in any case.

I'm not crazy about how this is being handled with the press. Marussia should be releasing regular bulletins. There is far too much speculation. Useless.

I think Craig was aiming at the fact that the car seemed to have suddenly accelerated on its own when she was manoeuvering towards the pitstop area. A freakish accident in any case.

G'day Craig :)

A strange incident, which probably could have been a whole lot worse if it turns out it was a throttle failure. I'm glad the news is positive on her recovery.

A strange incident, which probably could have been a whole lot worse if it turns out it was a throttle failure. I'm glad the news is positive on her recovery.

Yes, I think that is what makes Sean thinking Marussia is not giving enough info. They will keep on saying "our thoughts right now are with her and her family" with heads hanging down and hoping we all do the same and worry about her well being before public and journalists start questioning themselves what could have so horribly wrong with the car to take by surprise an exeprienced driver.

In my time at Renault, even if the car or team had been at fault, we would have been pushing out updates on the driver every 2/3 hours to keep the mood positive. This is like a wake, it's a diversion built on negativity and I smell a rat. It smacks of equipment failure right now but that won't be revealed until she's out of danger. On the other hand, God forbid, if her condition worsened then we may hear rumours of driver error. Yes, I am a complete cynic but I've been there, done it, worn ............

I wish her a swift recovery and a long life. I just hope this incident sheds light on how little time in the tub support drivers get and how that may effect their proficiency and well-being, though I don't believe that to be the case here at all.

As long as it doesn't have knee-jerks starting with the whole, girls can't drive in F1 drivel...

Aye

U think so?? I think she's pretty ordinary....

I think she has mucha cajones......

As long as it doesn't have knee-jerks starting with the whole, girls can't drive in F1 drivel...

We don't want that at all - I agree.

What's mucha cajones?

he would say "muchos cojones" something like "guts" or "big balls" but instead he said: "lots of drawers" nevertheles I agree with him.

Agree...I expect a lot of pathetic white-knighting too..."oh we must protect our delicate women from driving racing cars, they might get hurt" crap.

I saw somewhere else that it may have been caused by the anti-stall being activated? Not sure if that was something confirmed or speculated.

Hope she's doing well. Truly a bizzare accident with no reflection on F1's high level of safety or the driver's ability which I assume is pretty high (anyone who can hit the gas pedal in an F1 car and not spin around is a lot more talented than most). Just a weird thing that happened.

Agree...I expect a lot of pathetic white-knighting too..."oh we must protect our delicate women from driving racing cars, they might get hurt" crap.

I saw somewhere else that it may have been caused by the anti-stall being activated? Not sure if that was something confirmed or speculated.

Hope she's doing well. Truly a bizzare accident with no reflection on F1's high level of safety or the driver's ability which I assume is pretty high (anyone who can hit the gas pedal in an F1 car and not spin around is a lot more talented than most). Just a weird thing that happened.

Considering that no F1 driver died in an F1 related accident since Ayrton Senna 18 years ago, you could say that F1 is safer than football at this stage, and even serious accidents like this are very uncommon (the last one was Massa's and it only hit his head, no vital organs there for him :P)

Last news were positive towards María de Villota. All the speculation on her actual experience either as some sexist remark or as an excuse to rant about how little preparation rookies get these days are rubbish. Even if the last statement is true, I'd say it is not related with this accident as ANY driver is experienced enough as to not make a low speed crash against a truck like this unless something unexpected failed. And in that case, that could have happened to any driver, experienced or not.

In any case, I am speculating as well and I should not do that!

I might propose that Hamilton Snr's split with client, Paul Di Resta may have something to do with client and son heading for the same seat at Merc. There again, I could be miles off. PDR is definitely ready to move on considering Force India's improvements have done little to overshadow the owner's financial worries.

Considering that no F1 driver died in an F1 related accident since Ayrton Senna 18 years ago, you could say that F1 is safer than football at this stage, and even serious accidents like this are very uncommon (the last one was Massa's and it only hit his head, no vital organs there for him tongue.png)

Last news were positive towards María de Villota. All the speculation on her actual experience either as some sexist remark or as an excuse to rant about how little preparation rookies get these days are rubbish. Even if the last statement is true, I'd say it is not related with this accident as ANY driver is experienced enough as to not make a low speed crash against a truck like this unless something unexpected failed. And in that case, that could have happened to any driver, experienced or not.

In any case, I am speculating as well and I should not do that!

Andrés, you're honestly correct. People are very sensitive to injuries in auto racing. I'm not sure if that's from us being morally superior :P, or if it's just an insecurity about our sport's reputation in the public eye. As it happens, I observe far more career-ending injuries in the other sports I follow than in racing. It doesn't make any sport wrong or right or whatever, just an observation. I hate to see serious injuries in any sport, but they do happen...and when they happen in auto racing, F1 or otherwise, they're often a consequence of something very, very bizarre, whereas a lot of serious injuries in other sports (like ice hockey) are a result of how the actual game is actually played every single night. I think that's very good for F1, and other forms of racing, to know that they've done what they can to make sure that injuries don't happen as a result of the sport, just as a result of bizarre circumstances, which can happen when you're doing just about anything.

You're also correct that it could have happened to anyone. Nothing to do with the driver, nothing to do with F1's regulations. Just one of those weird instances. I don't like injuries in sports, as I said, but they do happen, and I'm much more comfortable knowing that when they do happen in racing, it's often something really weird and impossible to predict/control like this, and not something that's "part of the game" as it is in other sports.

I might propose that Hamilton Snr's split with client, Paul Di Resta may have something to do with client and son heading for the same seat at Merc. There again, I could be miles off. PDR is definitely ready to move on considering Force India's improvements have done little to overshadow the owner's financial worries.

Hmm...that's interesting. I guess I'd just wonder about Mercedes questioning their involvement in F1. The bribery thing seems to be an easy out, sort of like with ING and Renault, where they were leaving anyway and decided to use Crashgate to get out even earlier. Mercedes were sort of up in the air before the bribery stuff, if I recall correctly.

I do think, though, assuming Mercedes are back in 2013, that whichever seat Hamilton doesn't take (McLaren or Mercedes) will be di Resta's, so they're definitely in competition.