Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Insider

Today In F1

That's pretty interesting, actually.

The true race car I was "driving" had 600 horsepower; GT4's came stock with 797 for some reason. The actual pole time at Laguna Seca was 1:16.1 that year. I was only a few tenths up with an extra 200 hp...meaning I couldn't even do a 1:16.1 in the video game, which isn't even a full simulator like what drivers use (hell, even iRacing is beyond my level). My actual time would be .001 seconds before I spun and wrecked it (likely just driving at pit road speed onto the track tongue.png). I don't think I could get a racecar going fast enough for it to turn. I'd be too scared and I'd doubtlessly spin under acceleration.

Another comparison of racing drivers to myself: karting. Spec karts, on the same track. The karts weren't adjusted for weight, and at the time, I was really, really small (maybe 12 or 13 years old) so I had a big-time advantage weight-wise. I never went quicker than a 47.9. The best normal karter could get in the mid-45s (yes, I truly sucked...I'm very cautious and didn't have the stomach to hold it flat in high-speed corners laugh.png). The pro driver, who probably weighed twice as much as I did, did 43 flats. Nearly five seconds per lap, despite an 80-lb weight disadvantage, around a tiny karting track set up in an abandoned storage warehouse. And this guy, though talented, hasn't even made a dent in NASCAR as far as his results go...

Blows my mind.

I might show my friend this post. I beat him at karting a couple of times and he was trying to make out it was because I was lighter! I kept telling him, trust me at our terrible skill level weight makes no difference.

You are right, George. That's why I always liked the journeyman drivers who aren't really supposed to be as successful as they have been at times. It's impressive, but it's also not.

I guess what makes them most impressive would be how they are able to stand out amongst their group of supremely talented racing drivers. What about Vettel, Alonso, Hamilton, Räikkönen and Schumacher makes them appear so much better to us than, say, Massa, Webber, and Button? Those three have all had some degree of success in F1, hell one's a WDC, but we never call them elite. I don't like to compare drivers from different disciplines too much, but what elevates the F1 field ahead of other series, even those more directly related to F1 (i.e. GP2 or F3)? That's probably the most impressive thing, those subtle differences among the absolute best, even more than the huge difference between those who are supposed to do this and those of us who aren't.

That's another good one JHS!

One thing I wanted to say about Eric's post is that while I respect what all of these guys can do, how skilled they are etc, I also wonder if it's as impressive as we think or not. It's hard to explain but essentially, if you're an F1/racing driver, then spotting braking points isn't a hugely difficult thing to do, braking late for a corner isn't a massive mental effort, it's just your job; a genetic thing you are capable of doing and something you have honed over the years. The whole point is the racing driver isn't thinking: my God what if the brakes fail. In the same way, a virtuoso pianist isn't constantly thinking "my God I hope I hit this next note" or whatever.

I know it's an obvious point but it's not like any of these people are doing something completely out of their comfort zone, they were just born with certain genetic traits and lucky to be in an environment which allowed them to flourish (yes, they work hard, etc). The only difference is society/the media places more reverence on the skill of a racing driver, than let's say, the best barristers or doctors for example (or almost anybody else as equally skilled in their field). I think the only difference is that some skills (the skills of a racing driver) are more entertaining, which does not necessarily make them more impressive or admirable. Sorry, I don't know why I have to deconstruct this laugh.png I just think it's always more impressive when you see someone operating out of their comfort zone and being really successful. Basically, when Alonso becomes a decent doctor I'll only then be more than superficially impressed tongue.png

Yes, I sometimes find myself thinking the same as well. I am ready to defend drivers and their amazing skills when people who are not F1 fans criticize them. Yet when F1 fans start to compare them to demig gods I automatically find myself thinking "well, but can they import goods as well as I can? Maybe the whole grid should sit in front of the TVs at some ridiculous hour in the morning just to watch me and some other competitors trying to import medical devices into Argentina! Ok, maybe I went too far...

I really, really need to improve my postings before season restarts...

You are right, George. That's why I always liked the journeyman drivers who aren't really supposed to be as successful as they have been at times. It's impressive, but it's also not.

I guess what makes them most impressive would be how they are able to stand out amongst their group of supremely talented racing drivers. What about Vettel, Alonso, Hamilton, Räikkönen and Schumacher makes them appear so much better to us than, say, Massa, Webber, and Button? Those three have all had some degree of success in F1, hell one's a WDC, but we never call them elite. I don't like to compare drivers from different disciplines too much, but what elevates the F1 field ahead of other series, even those more directly related to F1 (i.e. GP2 or F3)? That's probably the most impressive thing, those subtle differences among the absolute best, even more than the huge difference between those who are supposed to do this and those of us who aren't.

Another thing I've thought about a lot as well. Why is it that, despite having a better year so far, we still can't regard Webber as much of a WDC candidate as we regard Vettel? Why Vettel was still unconvincing even compared to Lewis when he already was a 2 times WDC and Lewis was having the worst season of his F1 career in which all he has is a WDC won by a single point (not diminishing his achievements, I mean that, number of WDCs wise, Lewis does not look as impressive)?

Like you say, nuances. Earlier today reading comments on JAF1 (I think) somebody mentioned that Seb only won a single race starting from below #2 on the grid and that he only overtook 6 guys on his road to wins, half of them being his team mate while, at the same time, has one of the worst pole to win ratios of all F1 champions. Now, I don't know if these figures are actually true, but they are probably closer to the truth used on Seb than used on Alonso or Lewis.

It was hell without you....

(yep, we had no-one to take the p**s out of, baldy tongue.pngbiggrin.png )

You b#####d...got me squinting against the monitor screen to read that last phrase! :P Yeah, missed you too...

smile.png So it *is* true what they say about self abuse affecting your eye-sight??!!! biggrin.png

You wish!

(my hand told me we should see other people)

Is auto racing a sport?  

Of course it is. Why would they call it motorSPORT if it weren't a SPORT? It would have been an Olympic sport if Bernie had implemented his brilliant idea of handing out medals instead of points after every F1 race. :ninja:

Ok, summer break is boring. :blush:

Is not jumping fences sitting on a horse an Olympic sport? Badmington? Probably chariot racing was a sport in the ancient Greece... :)

I'm glad my post was understood for what it was :D

Yep, definitely a distinction worth realising.

Yes, I sometimes find myself thinking the same as well. I am ready to defend drivers and their amazing skills when people who are not F1 fans criticize them. Yet when F1 fans start to compare them to demig gods I automatically find myself thinking "well, but can they import goods as well as I can? Maybe the whole grid should sit in front of the TVs at some ridiculous hour in the morning just to watch me and some other competitors trying to import medical devices into Argentina! Ok, maybe I went too far...

I really, really need to improve my postings before season restarts...

I'd watch that show.

Yup. And they all consider it a honor to hang out with me. That is why everybody says: "Look at those 'ladies' with Andrés! They surely look well hung!"

Wait... :eusa_think:

Yup. And they all consider it a honor to hang out with me. That is why everybody says: "Look at those 'ladies' with Andrés! They surely look well hung!"

Wait... eusa_think.gif

laugh.pnglaugh.png

As a fan, I hate the summer break. I can see the benefits to crew members who are away from home so much...but it also is their job to travel...

I'd like to know the actual savings from the break. I'd also like to know the actual cost to F1 from having this break (i.e. loss of interest from more casual fans, loss of momentum in championship fight storyline, loss of media attention, etc). I don't think the former is that large, and I don't think the latter is that small.

As a fan, I hate the summer break. I can see the benefits to crew members who are away from home so much...but it also is their job to travel...

I'd like to know the actual savings from the break. I'd also like to know the actual cost to F1 from having this break (i.e. loss of interest from more casual fans, loss of momentum in championship fight storyline, loss of media attention, etc). I don't think the former is that large, and I don't think the latter is that small.

Oh...so you are starting to feel...The thirst (Blade dixit)...mwahahaha

The thirst...always wins...:ph34r:

Seriously, it sucks but it also adds to the tension builiding for the championship. F1 marketing machine at least got that right, do not overexpose the sport. Too much F1 will be better in terms of everyday entertainment, but probably at the cost of making each race less special by itself.

They are few and precious. As for casual fans, it surely must increase the "starting cost" of getting into F1, but it's not as if F1 is having a severe crisis of lack of interest. If it survived seasons like 2002 or 2004 then this is a minor gripe.

Besides, you can do what I do: smash the head against the walls and cry for any sort of F1 news until those nice guys with tazers zap me down then give me those great pills...ohhhh, look...a pink elephant!

Indeed.

I quite like the break, sometimes keeping up with all the F1 news and in depth articles seems like a bit of a chore so this really refreshes my interest (although in a season like this it doesn't need refreshing too much).

The summer break saves my marriage. That is all.

That's very good. Only start to worry when it is the actual season what saves your marriage.

thats why you must get your wife into it! Mine didnt like F1 before we were married but know understands most the rules, all about drs, kers etc and can name lots of drivers (even refers to maldonado as "is that the idiot?"