Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Insider

Today In F1

Rumors (not credible ones yet) are out there that Gravity will align Simona de Silvestro with Lotus for next year as a reserve, while she moves from IndyCar to WSR or GP2. She has one previous GP2 test, straight out of Formula BMW USA (as in a HUGE jump) where she was 1.5 seconds off the pace (as in not that horrible considering her lack of experience). She's shown a lot of potential but has nothing to back that up but an "almost" championship against a weak field in Formula Atlantic's dying days and a fastest lap in an IndyCar race. To be fair, she's been in absolute junk her whole career, especially this year with a Lotus engine that was so poor both Loti were black-flagged before lap 10 of the Indy 500 for being too slow. She'd also be one of the biggest drivers on the F1 grid, and I don't mean that in a demeaning way at all, just that I assume most F1 drivers are small because it's advantageous to be (her IndyCar medical record says 1.70 m and 72 kg).

I like Simona's work ethic, I like how tough she is (2011 Indy 500...her hands were absolutely destroyed in a fiery wreck, and she was able to put the slowest car all month into the field of 33 out of 39 cars attempting to qualify shortly after), I like her attitude about not leveraging her gender to get ahead, and I like that she won't let anyone call her "Swiss Miss" when "Swiss Missile" is more appropriate.

But F1 would really eat her alive, and F1 would force her into the "publicity stunt" and even if she believes all drivers are the same with the helmets on, as she's said before, plenty of people unfortunately aren't going to buy that. I think her level of talent and her attitude are just going to work better in IndyCar where, with the right team, she could definitely be an infrequent podium finisher on the right days. In F1, I'm not sure she'd be able to achieve that without 21 competitor retirements, and I say that as a fan.

Yeah yeah...what kind of comment was that? Who gives a Sh#t about Whats-Her-Name record in whats-its-name American series?

Straight to the point, kiddo: is she hot or not?

If she is, then I fully back her into F1 for the sake of equality among genders and fight against considering women as mere sexual objects. :whistling:

:lol: Not my cup of tea personally...

...which is fine because allegedly men aren't hers. Though I guess now I'm moving from stupid rumors to dangerous ones.

laugh.png Not my cup of tea personally...

...which is fine because allegedly men aren't hers. Though I guess now I'm moving from stupid rumors to dangerous ones.

Oh, ok.

Next candidate? :meh:

Back to closed cockpits...was there ever a particular reason for designing the Grand Prix cars with open ones? I realize today it's done because "that's the way we do it," but why did they do it in the first place? Purely curious.

Back to closed c#ckpits...was there ever a particular reason for designing the Grand Prix cars with open ones? I realize today it's done because "that's the way we do it," but why did they do it in the first place? Purely curious.

I wonder if that's because cars, in general, were somewhat "open c#ckpit" those days (meaning early '20s).

I wonder if that's because cars, in general, were somewhat "open c#ckpit" those days (meaning early '20s).

:lol: Damn...didn't even think of that.

I guess a better question would be...has there ever been a motion to move to enclosed vehicles before in F1's history? I assume not until 2009.

http://www.totalf1.com/full_story/view/428691/Pirelli_test_car_hit_by_alternator_issue/

Alternator issues on Pirelli's test cars (Renaults 2010)

According to a Renault spokesperson, they are fully within specifications: "These get broken only every other race. Hence, the name 'alternators'!"

*drumfill*

Ok, I'll take my leave now... :eekout:

http://www.totalf1.c...ternator_issue/

Alternator issues on Pirelli's test cars (Renaults 2010)

According to a Renault spokesperson, they are fully within specifications: "These get broken only every other race. Hence, the name 'alternators'!"

*drumfill*

Ok, I'll take my leave now... eekout.gif

My question is, why now? Whats causing these alternators to fail suddenly? With the engine development freeze one would not naturally think that this would be a problem that would arise. Unless those alternators were made in bulk back in 2007 and left in storage in a plastic bag behind the sheds.

Did they develop a new, more powerful KERS system that is messing with the alternator? Seems like it.

No c#ckpits - I take Kimi's position wholeheartedly. Renault alternators? They never used to be a problem. Then there was KERS.....

I'm sure one of the tech heads here can find a link between the two.

Jake Humphrey is moving from BBC to host BT Vision's push into sport. No problem with this (hey, it's a career move) but his tweets are just a little bit off to me. 6th September: "Why is twitter suddenly awash with rumours & people convinced I'm joining @SkySportsF1. Is someone spreading a scurrilous rumour??" - Oh, some terrible rumour you are joining Sky when you were clearly negotiating/likely signed with BT Vision at that time.

6th September: "@kingoscotland: @mrjakehumphrey I heard you were signing for SKY is that true ?” >>I can confirm I'm not in discussions with them...". My God, what a smug b#####d. Why even bother to reply to that at all, other than to get some kind of weird kick out of saying "no I'm not in discussions with them" whilst thinking "hah, little does he know I am going to BT Vision"!

I know, it's a complete non-issue. But it just seems like the tweets of an utter twot. And Twitter does have a habit of revealing such people. Anyway, it's a big loss for the Beeb, twot though he may be he is an extremely good presenter, much smother than Sky's main man.

Non-issues, hmm, let's hit a really large issue: is it my eyes or did you do some kind of highlighting wizardry there?

laugh.png I don't know if I can do that, George. In this mediocracy, I will only accept brown text on beige highlight. tongue.png

Noted!

And now for something completely different. This has to be the worst idea ever for a TV show:

http://www.jamesalle...lavio-briatore/

Well, the British version is some of the most watch-able reality TV over here, mostly because it's so incredibly cringe inducing and because Alan Sugar has some funny one liners. But with Flavio? I can't even.. laugh.png I mean, is this his answer to Berlusconi's bunga bunga parties?

Noted!

Well, the British version is some of the most watch-able reality TV over here, mostly because it's so incredibly cringe inducing and because Alan Sugar has some funny one liners. But with Flavio? I can't even.. laugh.png I mean, is this his answer to Berlusconi's bunga bunga parties?

I can see where this goes:

"Tonight, on a very special 'Blossom'...Kimi Raikkonen..."

And now for something completely different. This has to be the worst idea ever for a TV show:

Whenever the words "And now, for something completely different" are said in the beginning of a tv program, there can be no way that it is a bad idea.

Looks like Massa will stay at the Scuderia according to Blick magazine. If he does, they have a screw loose at Maranello, IMHO. They will never win a WCC without a reliable No.2 who doesn't need to be babysat around the track by his engineer. Webber was a good call. He talks and thinks Tarzan but comes up as a great Tonto for all his Crocodile Dundee bravado. He'd have been perfect. Button already passed a year ago and he would have upset the apple cart - no doubt about it. So, what have we? Glock? Heidfeld? Kovi? [sorry, they've obviously discounted that particular option], Sutil? Luizzi? Algersuari? The last name is a particular favourite of mine and he obviously speaks spanish and reasonable italiano. What's the thinking here? I can't figure it at all.

F1 has gotten into the business of making regulations not just based on competition, and not just based on safety, and not just based on "excitement," but now based on aesthetics.

(Don't be misled by the headline; stepped noses are not banned. It is just optional to hide them with some type of panel).

http://www.crash.net/f1/news/184473/1/stepped_noses_hidden_double_drs_banned.html

There's nothing particularly harmful about making a rule to make the cars look better, but it does strike me as bizarre. :P

I do think banning Double DRS is harmful. I was only able to excuse DRS because it at least gave teams something else to exploit and innovate around...and now that it can't, I really see no merit to it (to be fair, I see no merit to it even with Double DRS, but I can at least pretend Double DRS is some great wonderful innovation we always needed). ;)