Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Insider

Today In F1

Bah, we'll see... In the meantime, am I the only one that reads Whitmarsh's comments in Ron Dennis's tone of voice? Too much explanations over such a 'small and everyday' issue.

I am certainly biased towards Perez but surely this article is a load of rubbish? http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2012/10/perez-sometimes-we-just-have-to-mislead-the-media/ Normally James Allen's blog is pretty much on the money but what on earth is he on about here? How many times have we seen teams and drivers "mislead" the media on contract negotiations? The media has NO right to such information and every driver and team almost always denies that they're in talks with other teams, it's standard practice and a sign of respect for each party. Not one of his better articles.

I am certainly biased towards Perez but surely this article is a load of rubbish? http://www.jamesalle...lead-the-media/ Normally James Allen's blog is pretty much on the money but what on earth is he on about here? How many times have we seen teams and drivers "mislead" the media on contract negotiations? The media has NO right to such information and every driver and team almost always denies that they're in talks with other teams, it's standard practice and a sign of respect for each party. Not one of his better articles.

I think you might have misinterpreted Allen's intentions there.

JA then says that at McLaren these kind of things will have much more repercussion. Imagine Lewis or Alonso saying something similar. The big letterhead on the news "LIEGATE III"!!!! Forums filled with people saying that these guys are cheaters and that they will stop watching F1 and Bernie will miss them in the next race and FFS!

I think JA accepts that it would have been stupid from SP to admit the contacts, but somebody has to teach him how to properly avoid those questions so as not being cornered into a blunt lie and also as to not to have to admit it on a second conference.

More of a advice on how to handle the media t han a scorn for lieing. IMHO.

Ah yes, I see that now. That makes sense. I suppose the point is not the "lie" but rather the way he didn't avoid the question. Although I think he does go a bit far when he says Perez would be "embarrassed" by it, which I somehow doubt. I just thought James Allen was being unnecessarily critical at first, and I was going to have to stop watching F1 and quit using the internet.

laugh.png

I think it's a blend of mostly what Andrés says, and a tiny bit of paranoid, journalistic butthurt, because I'm sure we all thought James Allen was a rumor-mongering slob when Pérez denied there were McLaren talks.

Or maybe there wasn't any of that at all and I'm just so used to U.S. American NASCAR journalists who, being what they are, are inherently paranoid and vaguely self-rigtheous.

Allen's blog is good and so is Windsor's, for information everyone already knows. As soon as I have less to read for school, I'll give Racecar Engineering more attention so I can pretend I understand things I really don't understand. Hey, I already pretend I know everything about how drivers decide where to drive and how sponsors market through F1 and how U.S. Grands Prix should be conducted, may as well be a self-proclaimed technical expert, beginning by explaining that tires are round and the gearbox might be on the ***-end of the car, but I don't really know for sure.

Well. It is true that even if it's a good advice to give to Sergio, the way Mr.Allen presented it could certainly have been made with a lower profile as well. He could have just told Sergio about it, instead of making everybody aware of Sergio's slip of tongue.

Both would benefit of some good advice. ;)

Massive rumour came to my ears today - Jaime to Ferrari. Apparently, LdM wants Massa gone and the young Spaniard is considered a 'no-threat team mate for Alonso and a better points gatherer than Felipe. I don't see it but nothing will surprise me.

Massive rumour came to my ears today - Jaime to Ferrari. Apparently, LdM wants Massa gone and the young Spaniard is considered a 'no-threat team mate for Alonso and a better points gatherer than Felipe. I don't see it but nothing will surprise me.

well, Jaime said he definately has a seat for next year...hmmmm

Jaime did indicate he had a seat. Yet Massa's driving points to him fighting for his seat. Something doesn't quite match up here.

He was one of the first "2013 only" names that came to my head when we first started thinking about replacing Massa, though.

I read somewhere that Alguersuari said in a Spanish interview (too lazy to find the interview itself) that his new team "regularly scored points" and was between "fifth and seventh" in the WCC. If that's true, it's obviously Force India or Sauber.

Also read on SPEED (but it may have just been SPEED using a BBC article and passing it off as their own, which is funny, since SPEED and Sky are owned by the same company) that Hülkenberg will go to Sauber if he doesn't go to Ferrari.

So it seems to me we have a bunch of drivers who are going to both Ferrari and Sauber, when you consider that Massa and Kovalainen had also been linked to both teams in the past.

I am no good at maths, but I think that unless some of these guys are wrong about their chances, F1 seats will get awfully crowded with two or more guys per car.

You have to believe that Massa and Kovi are probably out of the game, Eric. I agree that my own money would be on Jaime going to Sauber or SFI but who knows. Lot of driver for a few seats again.

Honda open to rejoining the F1 circus. Hmm, interesting.

Are the 2014 engines that may or may not happen six-cylinder turbos? Honda heavily pushed for that engine in IndyCar (and got it), so that seems to be a format they want to work with in racing.

I'd love a Honda return, personally.

Are the 2014 engines that may or may not happen six-cylinder turbos? Honda heavily pushed for that engine in IndyCar (and got it), so that seems to be a format they want to work with in racing.

I'd love a Honda return, personally.

Don't know about the V6 engines. Bernie doesn't want them. Even if it's a no V6, I hope for a Honda return. Let them replace one of those dreadfully slow backmarkers.

Don't know about the V6 engines. Bernie doesn't want them. Even if it's a no V6, I hope for a Honda return. Let them replace one of those dreadfully slow backmarkers.

I'm all for that.thbup.gif

Except that Honda were backmarkers anyway, before they quit...........

You already have an underperforming top car manufacturer with Nick Fry at the helm. What's to miss about Honda?

I'd rather watch HRT with nothing at their disposal except their dignity still runing inside the 107%, which is a lot more than most of the backmarkers from the past used to achieve.

Poor guys at the back, their feats go unsung.

Honda should return.

Their previous ideas (excepting of course Ross Brawn's involvement) would suggest failure. However as with the story of BMW, they exited F1 too soon. Given the era that they were involved in, they bet with the wrong teams for their stature. What they should have done is to concentrate on being an engine supplier first, rather than a constructor. That way they could have minimised their costs while optimising performance and attracting the bigger teams.

[quote name='Quiet One' timestamp='1349970140' post='350438']
You already have an underperforming top car manufacturer with Nick Fry at the helm. What's to miss about Honda?

I'd rather watch HRT with nothing at their disposal except their dignity still runing inside the 107%, which is a lot more than most of the backmarkers from the past used to achieve.

Poor guys at the back, their feats go unsung.
[/quote]

I agree that HRT & co do a lot compared to their budget, but sepia-tinted admiration for the underdog aside, it makes for poor viewing. It's almost a mockery of the sport.

I agree that HRT & co do a lot compared to their budget, but sepia-tinted admiration for the underdog aside, it makes for poor viewing. It's almost a mockery of the sport.

You are being too hard. History of Motorsport would be nothing without the Eurobruns, Merzarios, Osellas, Prosts, Tolemans, Copersucars, Ligiers etc. Some of them evolved into powerful teams, some others disappeared. Tyrrell, Brabham, and the Lotus, the McLarens...they all had to undergo a painful, slow learning curve. If only the big car manufacturers were given oppotunities to grow for more than a couple of years you would have never heard of those teams...

There have always been backmarkers. These aren't even the worst crop of them. Thanks George they exist.

No, I firmly disagree on this one.

EDIT: Oh, and you are an idiot (that was my "at dogginem" argument...and you don't reply to those neener neener!) :P