Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Insider

Today In F1

What did they say? I missed that but I think viewers are right to complain about swearing but to the FIA or FOM not to the BBC. Well, they can complain to the BBC if they don't know how to complain to the others. I find it absurd if the BBC cut that out, it happened.

How was it, Kimi said that last time he won a race the interviewer was "giving him Sh#t" because he didn't smile. Then Vettel wanted to look cool and grown up so he said something that roughly translates to "we could have had a major f*ck up this weekend but we didn't".

Personally, I didn't even hear Kimi say it, it's Kimispeak, only DC could tell and that's because he was 20cm away :lol:

And, on a tangent, the other day I heard a 4 year old kid in a stroller yell at a 4 year girl (in a stroller) to "f*ck off" while his mother laughed at it. And I'm fairly sure he didn't watch that race!

Just another long, meandering incoherent rant.. don't mind me :D

Yep, those were the misdemeanours in question. It's strange that the BBC had to cut it out entirely. Not from a broadcasting guidelines POV - you clearly can't broadcast a program with adult language before the watershed - and that applies to what goes on their site too. The BBC are publicly funded too so it's best not to p**s everybody off. What's odd is that they couldn't do what they normally do for adult content which is just to put a simple notice on the program stating that it contains bad language and the "over 16" tickbox; you could even state the specific times where the language occurs. The technology is there to do that, it must be. Instead, they took forever (for a sports event) to edit out the language. Usual BBC red tape. Then again, they are quite busy at the moment laugh.png The annoying thing is, even utilising such technology you would still get complaints..

On the actual complaints: I admit it's a more legitimate charge than the usual complaints the BBC receive (all the time over here there are stories about how the BBC received x many complaints, sometimes before a program even aired). For example after a particularly controversial episode of Top Gear where Clarkson insulted Mexicans/dead prostitutes/various ethnic minorities/etc, you will usually find a few hundred people complaining, which begs the question why do they watch the show in the first place when known for its style of humour? Everybody has a right to complain; but before that almost always the luxury of not tuning in.

You have to feel most people who complain about TV shows generally are 1) having too much time on their hands, 2) have an over inflated sense of self-importance ("I'm offended therefore this shouldn't ever happen"), and 3) Have a very misguided perception of the world. I mean, I doubt the people who complain with some level of rationality at something like Abu Dhabi are the same people who actually follow or involve themselves in any serious political issues in the world - you know, the actual problems. They just hate bad language and by god they will tell you. It just amazes me how some people want to live in their own insulated, unrealistic world. I bet half of these thin-skinned moaners live in the fear driven England of the Daily Mail and are scared of anything that remotely bursts that bubble - bad language included. The other half are at the other end, "multiculturalists" who are so politically correct that at the mention of any sensitive topic, like a reference to an ethnic minority, will immediately take "offence" without ever bothering to understand the context of the joke, because they aren't racist honest and they love other cultures (just don't ask them anything about other cultures).

For Abu Dhabi, the worst case scenario is a child learned a new naughty word slightly earlier than they would have done. So what? Get over it. Nobody got pregnant and nobody died. Sh#t happens, is I believe the phrase here. Try having a responsible, open conversation about language with your kid, including why bad language needs to be used at the right time, etc, instead of writing a letter. If you were an adult and you were offended well I don't even know where to begin, presumably they would be too "offended" by the wealth in Abu Dhabi in comparison with the wealth of the child who was exploited to make the television set they were watching the race on? (Do kids get exploited to make TV's? I am not sure. If they don't then they should: I'd love my next TV to be cheaper)*.

BUT, and after a much meandering post, it is fair enough to be unhappy about swearing at that time of day on TV and you wouldn't want it becoming the norm. It's just the complaining that's absurd, unless you are absolutely consistent in your logic and what you complain about, which none of these people will be because they're stupid enough to be offended and think that's actually important. tongue.png The worst thing about these cases (not so much here where sponsors and teams would already have warned their drivers one way or another), is that these unbelievably small minorities get way too much exposure compared to the 99.9% who just get on with it.

*Complaints to the BBC

The BBC has made him go all soft on the inside... ooooh :P

George, you're going a bit too far off for this time of night, but I quite agree with you.

:lol: So that's what all that was about. I guess that's one advantage of the U.S.; there weren't even 22 people watching to complain. ;)

One thing that happens at a NASCAR race is the driver introductions ceremony. They start from the last-place starter, and call them out one at a time pre-race to be cheered/booed by the fans before parading around the track in separate trucks (not to be confused with the trucks they drive).

At Bristol, the drivers pick a song to be played while they are introduced. Some drivers chose songs that contained profanities.

The Internet bloggers exploded with the most rage I've seen since the time a NASCAR journalist went to the 12 Hours of Sebring and complained that the food wasn't free for media (no, really).

I found it bizarrely ironic that most young children don't even have the cognitive functions to really understand song lyrics...which makes me wonder if most young children can really understand the accents of Formula One drivers?

Hell, as an adult, accents can be difficult when it's a new word. I can understand thick accents when being used to say words I know, much as I'm sure you guys could understand my vaguely New Jerseyan accent. However, when I took a statistics course with a foreign instructor a while ago, it was hard to understand him when he was using technical terms I hadn't heard before because I had nothing in my mind to equate it to.

My point being, if a British kid doesn't know the f-word or the s-word or whatever, and Räikkönen or Vettel says it, I'm not really sure he/she "learned" the word.

Moreover, I agree with George. It's lazy parenting to take "teachable moments" and turn them into self-righteous ego-jerking. The poor teacher getting a letter when Tommy tells Timmy that Santa Claus isn't real.

Anyway, I have a letter of my own to write to the BBC. Ben Edwards has made my cousin's children think it's acceptable to shout indoors. I need the soothing Jonathan Legard to come back over the hill and round the bend and off to the commentary box. :P

How was it, Kimi said that last time he won a race the interviewer was "giving him Sh#t" because he didn't smile. Then Vettel wanted to look cool and grown up so he said something that roughly translates to "we could have had a major f*ck up this weekend but we didn't".

I felt there was something going on during the podium ceremony, no wonder Alonso looked so out of place. happy.png

*Complaints to the BBC

I agree with your very good reasoning post but it won't let you get away with it. The BBC will contact you soon. I sent my complaint. contract.gif

My point being, if a British kid doesn't know the f-word or the s-word or whatever, and Räikkönen or Vettel says it, I'm not really sure he/she "learned" the word.

Yep. Children rarely learn bad language from TV by hearing a couple of F1 drivers on a podium ceremony. Even if they learn the word they only use it if adults around make the child think swearing is funny. I don't like hearing a famous guy/girl swearing on TV that's all.

If you've ever spent time near a school playground... (no wait, that came out wrong... dam.gif ) you'll know that 3-4 year olds will quite happily run around telling each other that they are mother****ers, so find it amusing that there is so much shock and awe over the podium swearing. Like little Johnnie will learn a new naughty word? (I think not)!

I get more concerned by kids exposure to violence through TV, films and games (which it seems is deemed socially acceptable) than the occasional shot of a nipple or potty-mouths on TV smile.png

I felt there was something going on during the podium ceremony, no wonder Alonso looked so out of place. happy.png

true, he looked like a stocky monkey with shoulders hunched over.....

*Complaints to the BBC

I found it quite amusing that more people complained about the delay for going on to iplayer than complained about the language laugh.png

Edit: Sorry, having a dylsexic firday

I found it quite amusing that more people complained about the delay for going on to iplayer than complained about the language laugh.png

Edit: Sorry, having a dylsexic firday

Indeed. At least that's a bit more logical than complaining about what Raikkonen says on a podium in Abu Dhabi to the BBC laugh.png

Today in F1: Turns out Kimi got everyone at Lotus "Leave me alone, I know what I'm doing" t-shirts! http://www.bbc.co.uk...rmula1/20267305

The BBC also had some interesting comments from Whitmarsh on Lewis' move, and the different final offers from Mclaren and Mercedes - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/20269668

Wait, am I the only one to see a contradiction in "I've known him and worked with him for so many years that I don't understand what he's thinking"??

Whitmarsh has to go!

Whitmarsh has to go!

I see it contradictroy. Is he going to leave with Hamilton to Mercedes to finally get to know what he's thinking or what? Hmmm...

Whitmarsh has to stay!

Ha, you're more afraid of McLaren posing a decent challenge than of Lewis going to Mercedes, I saw you there tongue.png

Off topic: I feel like I'm on an expedition in the jungle unsure.png

Ah, no, wait... it was just a mirage :D Thanks ;)

When you read articles like this, you realize why European racing fans hate American drivers and teams. Michael Andretti and Al Unser, Jr. are so self-righteous and paranoid, finding any conspiracy they can to make themselves look better. Neither one can accept the fact they weren't good enough. Sir Frank Williams told Little Al to go do Formula 3000; no matter how impressed Al was with his own test, Frank wasn't. It's also been noted that Williams was aware of Al's abuse of alcohol and cocaine that derailed his career a few years later (and, a few decades later, is something he hasn't overcome).

I think it's pathetic of any driver, decades after the fact, to still come out and try to make a big conspiracy, that everyone was working against the Americans, waaah, Americans are so disadvantaged, those bigoted meanies!

Maybe, just maybe, these teams would want to work with you if your ability and your attitude weren't what they were: poor and poorer.

http://www.gordonkirby.com/categories/columns/theway/2012/the_way_it_is_no361.html

My favorite part of it:

CUa0d.png

:lol: Who but an Andretti could ever believe that...

I have to say, too, that I'm surprised Gordon Kirby took the bait and turned these quotes into a sob story...had they been said to me I would have been in such convulsions of laughter I'm not sure I could have written much of anything...

Yeah, sounds like sour grapes and anyway, I would have thought from a business POV most teams would love to have an American be really successful in their team. Quite a big market after all.

Off topic: did the forum have an update recently? Seems a few things have changed, like being able to have a customised profile background. Two issues 1) Why I am no longer being signed in anonymously (the option is there but doesn't seem to work)? 2) Why did I find Dribbler in my ignore list (pretty sure I didn't put him there..)?

Off topic: did the forum have an update recently? Seems a few things have changed, like being able to have a customised profile background. Two issues 1) Why I am no longer being signed in anonymously (the option is there but doesn't seem to work)? 2) Why did I find Dribbler in my ignore list (pretty sure I didn't put him there..)?

Wes upgraded the software and made a few other changes in an effort to deter the spam attack we've been under for the last three weeks. I'm not really sure what exactly changed.

When you read articles like this, you realize why European racing fans hate American drivers and teams. Michael Andretti and Al Unser, Jr. are so self-righteous and paranoid, finding any conspiracy they can to make themselves look better. Neither one can accept the fact they weren't good enough. Sir Frank Williams told Little Al to go do Formula 3000; no matter how impressed Al was with his own test, Frank wasn't. It's also been noted that Williams was aware of Al's abuse of alcohol and cocaine that derailed his career a few years later (and, a few decades later, is something he hasn't overcome).

I think it's pathetic of any driver, decades after the fact, to still come out and try to make a big conspiracy, that everyone was working against the Americans, waaah, Americans are so disadvantaged, those bigoted meanies!

Maybe, just maybe, these teams would want to work with you if your ability and your attitude weren't what they were: poor and poorer.

http://www.gordonkir...t_is_no361.html

My favorite part of it:

CUa0d.png

laugh.png Who but an Andretti could ever believe that...

I have to say, too, that I'm surprised Gordon Kirby took the bait and turned these quotes into a sob story...had they been said to me I would have been in such convulsions of laughter I'm not sure I could have written much of anything...

Yeah, nah, I don't think he turned it into a sob story...afterall he does say "You can take Andretti and Unser's unhappy memories of Formula One as sour grapes"

Personally, I was saddened that Michael never made it in F1. Did McLaren hi-jack him? Who knows, although I find that a very hard thing to fathom. If a guy is good enough, you keep them on - they are collecting WCC points for the team - the number one job of the driver. If a guy is not doing that, then, yeah, you start looking around for another driver. And the guy that replaced him was none other than someone that went on to be a double world champion.

Perhaps they thought that their name was enough to secure them a drive? Perhaps they were too gung-ho to think that they had a tenth of their fathers talent. Perhaps Andretti's idea of flying to the USA after every race wasn't a smart move. Perhaps he's just a knob.

Wes upgraded the software and made a few other changes in an effort to deter the spam attack we've been under for the last three weeks. I'm not really sure what exactly changed.

I just spent two minutes trying to understand the anonymous sign in issue and I get it now. I think I'm still signed in anonymously but now the forum displays my name at the bottom of the index page and threads, etc, along with everybody else's, except with a little "*" by it, presumably to indicate that while I can see my name other people can't. So basically, the forum now feels the need to remind me that I'm signed in, just in case I scrolled down and panicked that my name wasn't there. I guess you could call that progress tongue.png