Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Insider

Today In F1

I just spent two minutes trying to understand the anonymous sign in issue and I get it now. I think I'm still signed in anonymously but now the forum displays my name at the bottom of the index page and threads, etc, along with everybody else's, except with a little "*" by it, presumably to indicate that while I can see my name other people can't. So basically, the forum now feels the need to remind me that I'm signed in, just in case I scrolled down and panicked that my name wasn't there. I guess you could call that progress tongue.png

And all your posts have ANONYMOUS as the avatar, states that you are from "parts unknown". gender as "missing", posts as "nothing relevant", and member type as "mystery man".

It's like you're a ghost....

Jacques Villeneuve speaks.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/104210?source=mostpopular

I found the part about Newey and his praise of Alonso interesting. His stuff about Vettel? Meh, I don't agree. People react to things in their own ways and the fact remains that Alonso hasn't won a title since 2006, while Vettel most certainly has (and is about to take a third soon). Different strengths and different weaknesses, and Vettel's strengths are prevailing. Some people are motivated in frustration, some people need to stay cool; I won't try to get inside anyone's head and tell them what they think.

I guess it does illustrate something, though. Vettel could be even better than P24 to P3; it wasn't a flawless day from him, Jacques' not wrong there. And at his age, he probably will be even better. Do you know how frightening that is? A World Champion who is still on the upswing? It's like we're watching what Lewis Hamilton was supposed to give us...

Robert Kubica confirms he can't drive single seater's anymore http://www.bbc.co.uk..._medium=twitter

Jacques Villeneuve speaks.

http://www.autosport...rce=mostpopular

I found the part about Newey and his praise of Alonso interesting. His stuff about Vettel? Meh, I don't agree. People react to things in their own ways and the fact remains that Alonso hasn't won a title since 2006, while Vettel most certainly has (and is about to take a third soon). Different strengths and different weaknesses, and Vettel's strengths are prevailing. Some people are motivated in frustration, some people need to stay cool; I won't try to get inside anyone's head and tell them what they think.

I guess it does illustrate something, though. Vettel could be even better than P24 to P3; it wasn't a flawless day from him, Jacques' not wrong there. And at his age, he probably will be even better. Do you know how frightening that is? A World Champion who is still on the upswing? It's like we're watching what Lewis Hamilton was supposed to give us...

I read that too. Looks like he's moved on from criticising Kimi (pretty unpopular at the moment), to criticising his good friend Vettel.

I think it's really hard to make judgements like this about drivers. Or at least, it doesn't help to frame them so subjectively. I do think Alonso is better than Vettel "in the pack" and when things aren't perfect for him (conditions, position, whatever), and that Vettel is a great frontrunner. But I think those things can be seen purely as a question of skill rather than turning it into what is basically a personal attack (obviously, JV's whole point is to do that to generate controversy, but it's worth saying anyway..).

Other than that, the whole age/career stage comparison is always worth remembering in these assessments of drivers. 5-6 years difference in experience is huge in terms of developing as a driver and person. Think back to the Alonso of 2006 - I would say (from my vague memories) that his driving was still very impressive back then, but his maturity was less clear during some of those years 2006/7/8. Now his driving seems slightly more impressive but his personality and maturity level seems much better (and how much might those two things be linked? Impossible to say). With Vettel, I think he has pretty much stayed quite consistent in the way he comes across since he started in F1 and he's always seemed mature in his persona, and I don't think our image of him will change in the way Alonso has or much more noticeably, Schumi did (and probably Hamilton is going to). But I do think, and it remains to be seen obviously, that Vettel's driving could change (i.e. improve).

As for Hammy, don't be too harsh: this year we saw a lot of the changes we expected after his turbulent 2011. A pity his team let him down because this would have been a three way war.

Why the past-tense, Craig? ;)

Like I said, I don't think his comments on Vettel have a lot of merit in terms of personality, but in terms of driving, he can cut out those errors Villeneuve talks about and become even better than the best, which is just about what he is if he isn't there yet.

(Actually, though, Vettel's overtaking has impressed me more than anyone's this year, so what the hell am I even saying...)

Interesting reading...

"Perez, 22, has recently conducted a fitness test to which McLaren submit all their drivers and it proved he is a long way short of the physical condition of Hamilton and his team-mate Jenson Button.

Whitmarsh admitted in an interview with the official F1 websitethat Perez had a lot of preparation work to do before the start of the 2013 season in Australia in March next year."

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rmula1/20403485

laugh.png Clearly Mclaren didn't carry out the same test when signing some of their other drivers..

Give the guy a break. Despite his girth he still holds the lap record at many circuits. I know, its because of the regs, but still - a slice of irony for F1

Is it true that Kimi did not come to the circuit yesterday because he was hungover? Or got stuck in LA or something like this?

Lewis Hamilton's final Mclaren helmet:

Is it true that Kimi did not come to the circuit yesterday because he was hungover? Or got stuck in LA or something like this?

my gosh, so he really stayed there an partied...thought he was joking

Seems like it!

I say final of course.. but Lewis already made some noises about going back to Mclaren laugh.png

I wish I could watch the Thursday press conferences. I don't understand why FOM don't make that possible. Yesterday:

"Vettel and Alonso sat in the front row, flanking Schumacher. While Vettel was as relaxed as he always is, grinning and joking with Schumacher in much the manner you might expect from a man who has a 13-point lead over his rival, and a car advantage. Alonso spent most of the conference staring intently ahead, his intensity only momentarily broken by a smile in response to some private quip from Schumacher."

Gerard Lopez gives answers concerning rumors that Lotus has not been able to pay Kimi: http://www.auto-moto...en-6180428.html

Freely translated, based on google translate: "We didn't expect him to be so successful, so he became more expensive to us than we though. We have agreed to a new payment plan so it's all resolved."

I guess the Robertsons still know how to get a good deal for Kimi wink.png.

Gerard Lopez gives answers concerning rumors that Lotus has not been able to pay Kimi: http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/formel-1/grosjean-bei-lotus-auf-der-kippe-romain-soll-wieder-angreifen-6180428.html

Freely translated, based on google translate: "We didn't expect him to be so successful, so he became more expansive to us than we though. We have agreed to a new payment plan so it's all resolved."

I guess the Robertsons still know how to get a good deal for Kimi ;).

Thanks for the update and translation

SV: "....and then, Lewis said he signed for Mercedes"

Funny.

Ecclestone called the Ferrari request for clarification on the flag controversy a "joke". Luca Di Montezemolo responded in his usual calm, measured and professional way...

It's all in the following along with Bernie's reply: http://www.bbc.co.uk...rmula1/20579360

Surely he can understand why they would want clarification if its a championship at stake and all the images have the flag obscured when they saw it. A joke is rather harsh! I can think of stewarding decisions that were a joke, Grosjeans driving and even Alonso's "tash" but this not so much