Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Insider

Today In F1

Adam Parr has written a book called the Art of War, about paddock politics in Formula 1. In it, he claims he left the Williams team this year because he believed Ecclestone wanted him out.

http://uk.reuters.co...N09H2E720121207

I certainly remember the two were involved in a war of words last year when Parr openly questioned the way Ecclestone ran the sport, so this doesn't seem that surprising.

Edit: There are rumours now that Adam Parr might be the next in line to take legal action against Bernie.

Today (in F1) I came across a quote.

"Every year there is a champion, but not always there is a great champion", Ayrton Senna.

"Every year there is a champion, but not always there is a great champion", Ayrton Senna.

And this is in relation to what? Vettel?

And this is in relation to what? Vettel?

Come on, Brad, I don't think Ayrton was talking about Vettel there...

The other day I was thinking about how long ago 2006 was, Alonso's last title. As it turns out, very few drivers have ever gone so long between winning their last title and their next one. Brabham, for example, went without the title for five years after winning his 2nd. Graham Hill also lost the title 5 times before winning his 2nd. Alonso has gone 6 years without the title. The only other driver who managed to win the title after missing it for 6 years, was one Niki Lauda. Though he was not active during all those years, as he was running his airline for two of them (1980 & 1981), so effectively he lost the title 4 times before winning it back.

So, statistically at least, Alonso winning another title would be quite an anomaly, especially in the modern era, given no other driver has ever been able to do it after missing it for more than 5 years.

So, statistically at least, Alonso winning another title would be quite an anomaly, especially in the modern era, given no other driver has ever been able to do it after missing it for more than 5 years.

I don't know if Alonso will win another title but if he did, I doubt he drove better than this season.

About the quote, it's just a quote. It's Mr. Ayrton Senna who said it and I agree with him. Greatness is a subjective quality.

Another quote.

"There are sometimes those special drivers: Ayrton Senna was one, Michael Schumacher was one, and Alonso is one", Gerhard Berger

Fortunately, there was a great champion in 2012.

In fact, going into Interlagos, there wasn't an option for there to be any other outcome. Both Vettel and Alonso are just excellent. Good time to be an F1 fan; very competitive among the constructors, and a great rivalry at the top.

:lol:

I'm not sure any driver has ever believed anyone other than him- or herself was a great champion, so I doubt Senna was my source.

Good save! It seems Alonso love/hate is all that keeps this forum going after the races are run. He should probably be proud XD

Good save! It seems Alonso love/hate is all that keeps this forum going after the races are run. He should probably be proud XD

It keeps the world spinning round. :)

Come on, Brad, I don't think Ayrton was talking about Vettel there...

The other day I was thinking about how long ago 2006 was, Alonso's last title. As it turns out, very few drivers have ever gone so long between winning their last title and their next one. Brabham, for example, went without the title for five years after winning his 2nd. Graham Hill also lost the title 5 times before winning his 2nd. Alonso has gone 6 years without the title. The only other driver who managed to win the title after missing it for 6 years, was one Niki Lauda. Though he was not active during all those years, as he was running his airline for two of them (1980 & 1981), so effectively he lost the title 4 times before winning it back.

Alonso's career went a little off track after his first stint at Renault. Throughout it all, he has driven well enough to take any number of titles. He will have that capability for many years yet too.

I liked your analysis of the gaps between certain driver's titles. Looked at slightly differently, Schumacher's gap between first to last title is further proof that years do not diminish talent and that landing a great drive is more significant to ones chances.

Alonso's career went a little off track after his first stint at Renault. Throughout it all, he has driven well enough to take any number of titles. He will have that capability for many years yet too.

I liked your analysis of the gaps between certain driver's titles. Looked at slightly differently, Schumacher's gap between first to last title is further proof that years do not diminish talent and that landing a great drive is more significant to ones chances.

Yep. He can definitely win more, but even if he does he'll certainly end up with less titles than people think he's worth or think he should have won, after being so close to winning so many more (2007, 2010, 2012). I just think that's interesting. A little bit like Prost except the huge gap between titles. Imagine if Alonso doesn't win the title next year, how odd his career will look, 2005, 2006... 2014! I think he still has some strong years left yet too, but like Ale said, it'll be interesting if he can keep this season's level up or whether we'll look back and say it was his peak. But peak or not, he still has at least 4 years left in him, and perhaps as many as 8.

:lol:

It's too hard for me to evaluate anyone other than Vettel and Alonso, because the McLaren, Lotus, Sauber, etc. were too inconsistent to really get a read on (the Ferrari wasn't always the second-best car on a given weekend, but it was more regularly a top three car than the other ones which could be faster some weekends and not on others...inconsistent cars, more than any other, seem to overstate driver performance because it's easier to say that the bad races were the car's normal level of performance. In a way, this happened to Alonso/Ferrari due to the Ferrari's poor start) who both impressed me so much I'd have to go to the tiebreaker, which is race victories. So I guess Vettel gets it.

But I love the fact that people can easily and fairly give it to Alonso, too. It just shows you how competitive it is, and how great of a rivalry this could be.

It's also excellent that we talk so much about Alonso and Vettel, and we're not even covering half the guys who won Grands Prix last year. I'd love for a strong Lotus and McLaren to really get a feel for what Räikkönen and Button can bring.

It's also excellent that we talk so much about Alonso and Vettel, and we're not even covering half the guys who won Grands Prix last year. I'd love for a strong Lotus and McLaren to really get a feel for what Räikkönen and Button can bring.

I think Hamilton deserves a mention too. He drove quite well and could have been in the fight if the car and team had worked reliably the whole season. Good news for Hamilton that Norbert Haug will open a restaurant in Frankfurt or something so he won't be a key member of the Mercedes GP team, I feel it will give next year's car a few tenths. Not as many as 6 of them of course. :P

At least Hamilton will still have Lauda to rely on...cool headed management took a hit but drama should be up next year.

James Allen's assessment seems fairly close to the mark: http://www.jamesalle...rivers-of-2012/

It's clear who the top 4 drivers this season are, and somewhat clear who the top 2 of those 4 should be. Up to taste, really, whether you put Alonso or Vettel on top, my choice would be Vettel for being the champion and winning most races.

I find it hard to put Kimi anywhere below third, simply because I think it would be wrong to put the guy, who has been away for two years, finished ahead of most of the drivers of the big three teams, was most consistent results-wise and made many of the best racing moves of the season while always staying out of harms way, below his actual WDC position. This is of course coming from a Kimi fan ;P.

Who is the last on top 5? Pretty much anyone else on the grid qualifies, afaics, the top 4 were leagues ahead of the others.

So Norbert Haug is leaving Mercedes. Did he leave voluntarily or was he pushed?

My entirely random opinion is that it was probably a mix of both. They clearly needed a scapegoat and Norbert Haug was the ideal sacrifice victim. On the other hand, I doubt he felt too happy with the team, either. One thing you could say about Haug is that he might seem like a typical corporate guy but he always seemed sincere in his appareances. And he has been rather down all this past year.

Mutual agreement probably was not too far from the truth.