Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Insider

Today In F1

I do wish Americans would take your pronunciation of Jaguar/jaguar. "Jagwor" and, in some regions, "jagwire" both sound horrible. We'll trade you "could care less" and "winningest" for the proper one.

I always thought Jaguar was pronounced "Sh#te British Made Car"....

How very dare you!

2126579451_6d8eee782b.jpg

Good to hear about the tyres though. I never did quite understand why fans complained about the Pirellis this year, especially after so many people complained how boring the Bridgestones were, and rightly so. It's like the three bears situation. "This tyre is too hard and boring. This tyre is to too degradable. This tyre is just right..."

It is great to look back on things retrospectively and say "man, I wish we could have tyres were drivers were really allowed to push." If that's the case, why on earth did you complain when the racing wasn't always that great pre-2011?*

(*Not saying anyone did here, just making the point for the sake of argument.)

Article about the Russian Grand Prix track progress. It has a render of what the circuit will look like, and that corner that really stands out sure reminds you this is a street course. The right-angle corners entering and exiting really disrupt the circuit...

http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/438983/Russian_GP_firm_hails_track_progress/

But it's still good to have new Grands Prix to keep things interesting. Sounds like Thailand will have a street course in 2015. Hard to see where there's room for New Jersey, despite reassurance that it will happen in 2014 (it won't).

yea! we may finish our world cup stadiums in 2018, then the olympic ones in 2021, so maybe around 2040 the F1 track will be ready! :D can't wait!

British pals, there's 3 documentaries on the BBC airing Thursday, Friday, and I don't when the third is. Info and viewing at http://www.bbc.co.uk..._Stirling_Moss/ & http://www.bbc.co.uk...Jackie_Stewart/ & the third will be on Colin McRae.

If you can't watch and want to, then try the Pirates or the proxies.

Nico Hülkenberg is now being linked to Red Bull. This isn't unexpected, to me, because I think he will have a choice between both Red Bull and Ferrari if he performs at a high level this year.

However, I also wonder if these rumors are to put some pressure on Vergne and Ricciardo to get a little bit more out of Dietrich's Mateschitters next year. You have the potential for Webber's seat to open, and, in theory (but not in my reality), Vettel's, so I'd think both would be upset if someone from outside "the program" got the promotion over them.

Well, you have to deserve a promotion to get one and I just can't see that, sorry. I don't see also Sebastian leaving for the near future (unless RBR fails to provide him a race winner car), and Webber well, if he's to be replaced, I'm guessing they'd go with a more experienced driver than either of the STR guys.

I agree, but which F1 driver wouldn't think he deserves the promotion? I'd take Hülkenberg over either if Webber's really retiring.

Of course, you're only as good as your last race, so 2013 will be a difference-maker.

In an effort to rebuke the comments about the Scuderia having become "too Italian" for its own good, the guys at Maranello decided to hire a non-Italian talent for their aerodinamics dept.: Loic Bigois. The guy behind cars as succesful as the 90's Ligier, having also worked at Prost, Minardi, Honda and, oh yes! that technological marvel that was last year's Merc. :P

Yeah, he was at BGP in 2009 so you can say that he had part in a car that was amazing for 6 months in his whole 20+ years career. Ferrari is set to prove that you don't need to be Italian to fail miserably :P

Just kidding of course, I have no idea of the actual skills of the guy.

Nico Hülkenberg is now being linked to Red Bull. This isn't unexpected, to me, because I think he will have a choice between both Red Bull and Ferrari if he performs at a high level this year.

However, I also wonder if these rumors are to put some pressure on Vergne and Ricciardo to get a little bit more out of Dietrich's Mateschitters next year. You have the potential for Webber's seat to open, and, in theory (but not in my reality), Vettel's, so I'd think both would be upset if someone from outside "the program" got the promotion over them.

Staying with Mark Webber, I quite like Helmut Marko's attempt at inter-team diplomacy (Source: The Red Bulletin);

"For much of his career, Mark was never in a top team, but he was always regarded as a high flyer if he only could get into the right team.Then Red Bull puts him in a car - a possible winner - and suddenly along comes this young kid and he snatches the booty from under Mark's nose. Psychologically it's not easy, of course; this would gnaw away at anyone's confidence. It's more than understandable.

It seems to me that Webber has on average two races per year where he is unbeatable, but he can't maintain this form throughout the year. And as soon as his prospects start to look good in the world championship, he has a little trouble with the pressure that this creates.

In comparison with Seb's rising form, it seems to me that Mark's form somehow flattens out. Then, if some technical mishap occurs, like with the alternator for example, he falls relatively easily into a downward spiral.

No driver remains unaffected by this, because the tension is palpable. In 2010, it was particularly extreme."

If I were Mark, I would push my Aussie fist into Marko's throat, tell him to 'Fcuk Off', walk away in breach of contract and refuse to drive the car. The irony is, much of what he says is true, but dirty laundry, and all that....

If I were Mark, I would push my Aussie fist into Marko's throat, tell him to 'Fcuk Off', walk away in breach of contract and refuse to drive the car. The irony is, much of what he says is true, but dirty laundry, and all that....

True and great comment. I understand some drivers need a bit of spur sometimes but that is simply humiliating and cynical because they expect precisely that from Webber.

Yeah, totally Mark's fault the alternator....he's a bloody number two auto electrician, I'll grant you that Mr Marko...

blackwhite.gif Penalty Flag please....

I always thought Jaguar was pronounced "Sh#te British Made Car"....

rofl.gif

How would you pronounce General Motor then?

Yeah, totally Mark's fault the alternator....he's a bloody number two auto electrician, I'll grant you that Mr Marko...

blackwhite.gif Penalty Flag please....

Time to vent my spleen, as they say. Dr Helmut 'Bring back Adolf' Marko is an arrogant, opinionated goose-stepper of the highest order. His career as a racing driver was unremarkable, save for the fact that he lost the sight in his left eye during the French GP in 1972. A stone went through his visor. In ten races, he never scored a point. He did win at Le Mans in 1971 and holds the all time Targa Florio lap record. Not a great deal of experience of modern racing there. He has been overseeing RBR's young driver program for 13 years with a single success - Vettel. Mark Webber has his failings but Marko's remarks were atrocious, given his position in the same team. He is Austrian however, and being rude is part of their DNA. For me, he is well past his sell by date and superfluous to requirements. He is probably eyeing up Bernie's job but that will never happen. He is heavily dissed in the pit lane. He should concentrate on running his two hotels in Berchtesgaden - sorry! - I mean Graz and keep his gob shut.

Time to vent my spleen, as they say. Dr Helmut 'Bring back Adolf' Marko is an arrogant, opinionated goose-stepper of the highest order. His career as a racing driver was unremarkable, save for the fact that he lost the sight in his left eye during the French GP in 1972. A stone went through his visor. In ten races, he never scored a point. He did win at Le Mans in 1971 and holds the all time Targa Florio lap record. Not a great deal of experience of modern racing there. He has been overseeing RBR's young driver program for 13 years with a single success - Vettel. Mark Webber has his failings but Marko's remarks were atrocious, given his position in the same team. He is Austrian however, and being rude is part of their DNA. For me, he is well past his sell by date and superfluous to requirements. He is probably eyeing up Bernie's job but that will never happen. He is heavily dissed in the pit lane. He should concentrate on running his two hotels in Berchtesgaden - sorry! - I mean Graz and keep his gob shut.

You are too harsh. The guy got a stone through his visor in 1972 for George's sake! Cut him some slack!

(Worked for Massa, didn't it?) :P

And now for something completely different:

Pedro de la Rosa has been hired by Ferrari as a development driver.

"Pssst...Pedro...over here...Hush! Have you tried the *wink wink* in the *nudge nudge* with the new setting?"

"Nando, how many times I have to tell you we both work for Ferrari now!"

"Sorry, old habits die hard"

Seriously, I'm happy for the old chap. He might never be remembered by his F1 accomplishments, but he certainly has lots of experience in testing cars, at least. And I think that some of his races in that HRT were the kind of titanic feats that go unsung.

Marko's comments were tough. But so was Webber squeezing Vettel at the start in Brazil when there's a title on the line. I think it's just a payback for that. Every action and all that.

And now for something completely different:

Pedro de la Rosa has been hired by Ferrari as a development driver.

"Pssst...Pedro...over here...Hush! Have you tried the *wink wink* in the *nudge nudge* with the new setting?"

"Nando, how many times I have to tell you we both work for Ferrari now!"

"Sorry, old habits die hard"

Seriously, I'm happy for the old chap. He might never be remembered by his F1 accomplishments, but he certainly has lots of experience in testing cars, at least. And I think that some of his races in that HRT were the kind of titanic feats that go unsung.

Pedro de la Rosa: Hiya Mr Nando

Nando: ah, you made it!!! I knew you would. All I did was throw a stupid hint and DOM fell for it. Man, the guys here falls for everything I say!!!!

Pedro de la Rosa: Grateful Grateful!!!

Nando: I expect you to start at once once this stoopid Wroom thing is over! I have some special things lined up for you to try and test!!!

Pedro de la Rosa: Please Mr Nando, not again!!!

Nando: Diffuser gasses that works on my farts, flexi front wings that bend over backwards and I expect to copy all your settings like we did 2007 from the European to the Italian grand prix's

Pedro de la Rosa: yes Mr Nando...

Nando: Man, we gonna have a great time over here...Cya soon chum, gotta go and play with the big boys!!! hehehehe, if they only know whats coming!!! hehehehehe