Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Insider

Today In F1

That Kimi is such an angry man and the person that removed the icecream from his gob needs to be shot and icecream duly reinserted in Kimi's mouth so as he can never speak during briefing ever again!!!!

FFS

Senna

!!!!

Leave Kimi alone!!! He knows what he's doing!!!tongue.png

FFS!!!!!

Senna

Oh no...not a Kimi-fanboy, defending his actions over and over and over again....the evidence is all there!! He's a raving lunatic that needs to be restrained at all drivers briefings for ever and ever and ever!! It's always you fan boys that can never see this!!!

Next you'll be trying to tell us that Michael Schumacher won seven titles....

blackflag.gifblackflag.gifblackflag.gifblackflag.gif

FFS

Senna

I heard a funny factoid today: apparently, during the Bahrain weekend, Kimi, for the -first- time in his F1 career, spoke at the Friday drivers meeting. Apparently he asked Charlie Whiting if Perez should've been punished for his driving in China wink.png.

http://ts.fi/moottor...ound of silence

(in Finnish, unfortunately google's translation to English is pretty incomprehensible)

I think there was a brief mention of that on Sky too. Couldn't find an English link anywhere yesterday though, but appears to be true.

It's a shame we don't get to see the drivers meetings these days.

You mean it's weird to pose naked on top of a car? Is that why my latest Facebook profile picture got no likes?

It could be that or it could be that your "friends" were not drunk enough to like you :P

It could be that or it could be that your "friends" were not drunk enough to like you tongue.png

With my friends, that's extremely unlikely.

Nelson Piquet, Jr. kicked another driver in the genitals last night. I guess by virtue of connecting, he has done one thing better than his father.

I'm not sure being the guy who is only ever visible when he's fixing races or committing assault and battery is really the way this "future WDC's" career was meant to go.

Nelson Piquet, Jr. kicked another driver in the genitals last night. I guess by virtue of connecting, he has done one thing better than his father.

I'm not sure being the guy who is only ever visible when he's fixing races or committing assault and battery is really the way this "future WDC's" career was meant to go.

It's obvious he is not in it for glory but just for kicks.

:D I always think that if today's F1 is one of the best ever regarding the quality of its drivers, just how much better would have it been had Kubica raced as well.

Actually I would have Kubica, Petrov and Kovalainen back from the last past seasons. I would have added Michael, but as much as I tried to think of a good reason I could not think of any, except for the aura of popularity. Makes me kind of sad for my old nemesis :D

http://planetf1.com/...l-skill-for-F1-

A man that fell down an elevator shaft should not question other people's mental skills.

I am amazed that these male chauvinist claims are stillb being made well into the 21st century.

Well I think Mr. Moss lived in the middle of the 20th century, decided he rather liked it, and plonked his anchor down for a nice rest and a spot o' fishing. The problem is the anchor didn't work and he's bee slowly but surely dragged about 60 years ahead of where he wants to be.

The point is, being exceptionally good at driving a car doesn't automatically make you more informed or smarter than the average person at anything, not any more than kicking a football better than anyone else or running fractions of a second faster than anyone else does. So when you read the story as '83 year old gentleman born in 1930 says women are mentally weak', it isn't that surprising.

Moss' opinion is obviously rubbish, obviously he didn't watch the London olympics, where it's human muscles doing the work not a car engine. And women regularly participate in activities far more dangerous than modern F1.

Does make me wonder about something else though. Is one of the factors that women are less likely than men to have the sheer bloody minded obsessive narcissistic bordering on insanity bent of mind needed to make it in F1? What I mean is, you've got to be slightly daft to dream of driving in F1, and actually work towards that single-mindedly from a very young age. There are probably lots of kids around who have the natural talent to drive in F1, and even the inclination, but don't end up pursuing it in the way required, not letting it consume their lives. And you see those personality issues in so many F1 drivers, the good and the bad.

Look at someone like Karthikeyan, so clearly out of his depth, and yet so desperately eager even to make a ludicrous spectacle of himself driving for the bunch of clowns at HRT. You never see or hear or read even an inkling of self doubt from him, not a word that suggests an honest appraisal of his own ability, a moment of reflection. And yet maybe that's the kind of stubbornness that you need to get into F1 when you're starting off in India.

It's probably the same thing that drives the best drivers to keep driving after they win a title to win 2,3,4,5, or even 7. If I ever drove in F1 (:P), and won the title, I would probably hang up the wheel, walk out and never come back. I mean, what is the fun in doing it all over again when there are so many other things to try out in life, especially when you have all the money in the world? But then the ones who have the drive to win once would never be satisfied with whatever they have achieved.

F1 is different from other sports in the sense that it's a series of gambles instead of being just one gamble. You can become a marathon runner and keep improving your time all through your sporting career, by doing the same thing better and better. Motorsports doesn't work like that, each time you move to a new category there's a chance that you'll struggle even if you were the king in another category, even an equally competitive one. And there are so many holes to fall through. Ok, maybe with the top 5 like Vettel, Alonso etc. their being in F1 is inevitable. But for the rest, you can't help thinking that there is an element in luck that decides why they are still here when so many other good drivers can't get a drive in F1. You can be 100% good enough for F1, and never get in, or not get the chance or time to prove yourself and end up in the worst F1 limbo, where teams would rather get a young untested driver than go with a proven experienced solid midfield driver. If you are someone who is fast enough to run the marathon in the olympics, you will get to run the marathon in the olympics. It's pretty much a guarantee.

Or the special kind of insanity, where your fans assume that after a near fatal rallying accident that took a chunk of your arm off, the first thought on your mind will be when you can get back to F1, and they would be right. Are women insane enough for F1? Or to not put it in the form of a bait headline, are women significantly less likely than men to have that special kind of insanity?

(Bored, can't sleep, checked all the websites I can. Writing this hasn't made me any sleepier darn it.)

biggrin.png I always think that if today's F1 is one of the best ever regarding the quality of its drivers, just how much better would have it been had Kubica raced as well.

I think if Kubica never existed we could say that unreservedly. But now there's the nagging doubt that none of the current drivers ever quite beat Kubica at his best.

I don't like to partake in Ecclestone bashing, but that was a pretty rough read. Though I don't know the situation in Bahrain too well, personally, it sure seems super out-of-touch to think these protests are analogous to how speed limits differ from country to country. Yikes.

You're being played. His words are carefully selected to arouse maximum outrage, because Bernie is that rare individual who is rich and politically powerful if he wants to be, while being completely free to say absolutely anything he wants without the least chance of it coming back to hurt him.

And I would rather have him than the snivelling idiots who suddenly think they care for Bangladeshi garment workers.

The world works in funny ways. Maybe F1 should never come to India because of the way we treat women. But then the higher profile India has around the world due to events like F1 may have partly helped highlight the issue because suddenly it's something the world wants to report on. Women have been brutally killed raped murdered here very regularly since India has existed as an entity, it was just never something the BBC found worth reporting as its top headline.

I am not crediting Bernie with social change. But maybe bringing F1 to Bahrain has indirectly done no less than armchair critics in other countries for highlighting the problems there.

Maybe I am growing cynical with age (at least I still have all my hair), but maybe they should just move an important European football match to Bangladesh, and a constant reminder to the rest of the world of its existence will do more than facebook petitions.

Change comes slowly in small steps. Revolutions almost never work out the way you hope, look at what's happening in all the 'Spring' countries. Things get a little bit better or a little bit worse.

I heard a funny factoid today: apparently, during the Bahrain weekend, Kimi, for the -first- time in his F1 career, spoke ...

HE SPEAKS? HE CAN SPEAK? WOW! These speech generation programs must be getting pretty good, that's probably Stephen Hawking's next voice folks.

I would add that neither Fernando, Button nor any other F1 champion I can think of (except the Cheater, of course) could cheat or backstab a team mate or opponent like Baby Shum did.

Of course, for example Alonso would never intentionally wait in the pits to block his teammate from putting in a qualifying hot lap. No sir, he would never do something like that.

Of course, for example Alonso would never intentionally wait in the pits to block his teammate from putting in a qualifying hot lap. No sir, he would never do something like that.

Bah, that's totally different because...because...errr...

But it's totally different! :unsure:

(I have to give your previous posts about women and F1 a more thorough analysis before replying)

Bah, that's totally different because...because...errr...

But it's totally different! unsure.png

Yes of course it is now that I re-read it. Jean-Pierre obviously meant that Alonso would never literally backstab a teammate. I quite agree. He would never do that. He would never walk up to Massa in a dark corner of the garage and stick a freshly sharpened dagger into the back of his neck, watch the red blood shower onto his red overalls that perfectly camouflage it, drive Massa's car onto the grid and leave him sitting there and hand the grid girl a wet paint board to hold up. And then no one would notice in the whole race that he isn't moving, except when Fernando goes past, when his earphones would crackle into his lifeless ears 'Fernando is faster than you. Fernando is faster than you...'

Am I morbid? :D

(I have to give your previous posts about women and F1 a more thorough analysis before replying)

Please don't analyze it that carefully, just ramblings of an insomniac.

Well I think Mr. Moss lived in the middle of the 20th century, decided he rather liked it, and plonked his anchor down for a nice rest and a spot o' fishing. The problem is the anchor didn't work and he's bee slowly but surely dragged about 60 years ahead of where he wants to be.

The point is, being exceptionally good at driving a car doesn't automatically make you more informed or smarter than the average person at anything, not any more than kicking a football better than anyone else or running fractions of a second faster than anyone else does. So when you read the story as '83 year old gentleman born in 1930 says women are mentally weak', it isn't that surprising.

Moss' opinion is obviously rubbish, obviously he didn't watch the London olympics, where it's human muscles doing the work not a car engine. And women regularly participate in activities far more dangerous than modern F1.

Does make me wonder about something else though. Is one of the factors that women are less likely than men to have the sheer bloody minded obsessive narcissistic bordering on insanity bent of mind needed to make it in F1? What I mean is, you've got to be slightly daft to dream of driving in F1, and actually work towards that single-mindedly from a very young age. There are probably lots of kids around who have the natural talent to drive in F1, and even the inclination, but don't end up pursuing it in the way required, not letting it consume their lives. And you see those personality issues in so many F1 drivers, the good and the bad.

Look at someone like Karthikeyan, so clearly out of his depth, and yet so desperately eager even to make a ludicrous spectacle of himself driving for the bunch of clowns at HRT. You never see or hear or read even an inkling of self doubt from him, not a word that suggests an honest appraisal of his own ability, a moment of reflection. And yet maybe that's the kind of stubbornness that you need to get into F1 when you're starting off in India.

It's probably the same thing that drives the best drivers to keep driving after they win a title to win 2,3,4,5, or even 7. If I ever drove in F1 (tongue.png), and won the title, I would probably hang up the wheel, walk out and never come back. I mean, what is the fun in doing it all over again when there are so many other things to try out in life, especially when you have all the money in the world? But then the ones who have the drive to win once would never be satisfied with whatever they have achieved.

F1 is different from other sports in the sense that it's a series of gambles instead of being just one gamble. You can become a marathon runner and keep improving your time all through your sporting career, by doing the same thing better and better. Motorsports doesn't work like that, each time you move to a new category there's a chance that you'll struggle even if you were the king in another category, even an equally competitive one. And there are so many holes to fall through. Ok, maybe with the top 5 like Vettel, Alonso etc. their being in F1 is inevitable. But for the rest, you can't help thinking that there is an element in luck that decides why they are still here when so many other good drivers can't get a drive in F1. You can be 100% good enough for F1, and never get in, or not get the chance or time to prove yourself and end up in the worst F1 limbo, where teams would rather get a young untested driver than go with a proven experienced solid midfield driver. If you are someone who is fast enough to run the marathon in the olympics, you will get to run the marathon in the olympics. It's pretty much a guarantee.

Or the special kind of insanity, where your fans assume that after a near fatal rallying accident that took a chunk of your arm off, the first thought on your mind will be when you can get back to F1, and they would be right. Are women insane enough for F1? Or to not put it in the form of a bait headline, are women significantly less likely than men to have that special kind of insanity?

(Bored, can't sleep, checked all the websites I can. Writing this hasn't made me any sleepier darn it.)

Never leave us again.

You're being played. His words are carefully selected to arouse maximum outrage, because Bernie is that rare individual who is rich and politically powerful if he wants to be, while being completely free to say absolutely anything he wants without the least chance of it coming back to hurt him.

And I would rather have him than the snivelling idiots who suddenly think they care for Bangladeshi garment workers.

The world works in funny ways. Maybe F1 should never come to India because of the way we treat women. But then the higher profile India has around the world due to events like F1 may have partly helped highlight the issue because suddenly it's something the world wants to report on. Women have been brutally killed raped murdered here very regularly since India has existed as an entity, it was just never something the BBC found worth reporting as its top headline.

I am not crediting Bernie with social change. But maybe bringing F1 to Bahrain has indirectly done no less than armchair critics in other countries for highlighting the problems there.

Maybe I am growing cynical with age (at least I still have all my hair), but maybe they should just move an important European football match to Bangladesh, and a constant reminder to the rest of the world of its existence will do more than facebook petitions.

Change comes slowly in small steps. Revolutions almost never work out the way you hope, look at what's happening in all the 'Spring' countries. Things get a little bit better or a little bit worse.

I actually meant that the differences between speed limits is an even bigger issue. I absolutely hate when people speed, so I'd like the maximum speed limit to be somewhere around 40 kph worldwide. It's inexcusable that some countries go over it.

(Not really, but I do hate when people speed. Driving is the only time most of us are ever in a position to kill someone else and I think we all owe each other a much higher duty of care than most give. Ecclestone should buy all the world's roads from the government and close them down, replacing them with comprehensive trains that are always on time. At least that's what I'd do if I had his money. Or what I say I'd do if I had his money because if I really had his money I'd probably do everything but that, considering I wouldn't have to drive anywhere anymore even without public transit, and I wouldn't have to care if I used horrible, run-on sentences like this one. In fact, I'd do it deliberately if I had his money. I'm thankful I never will).

Never leave us again.

I actually meant that the differences between speed limits is an even bigger issue. I absolutely hate when people speed, so I'd like the maximum speed limit to be somewhere around 40 kph worldwide. It's inexcusable that some countries go over it.

(Not really, but I do hate when people speed. Driving is the only time most of us are ever in a position to kill someone else and I think we all owe each other a much higher duty of care than most give. Ecclestone should buy all the world's roads from the government and close them down, replacing them with comprehensive trains that are always on time. At least that's what I'd do if I had his money. Or what I say I'd do if I had his money because if I really had his money I'd probably do everything but that, considering I wouldn't have to drive anywhere anymore even without public transit, and I wouldn't have to care if I used horrible, run-on sentences like this one. In fact, I'd do it deliberately if I had his money. I'm thankful I never will).

This isn't at all relevant to anything in your post BUT, do you never speed Eric?

This isn't at all relevant to anything in your post BUT, do you never speed Eric?

Did you phrase it in a negative so I'd have to think extra hard about how to answer it? :P

I honestly do drive the speed limit (or below, when conditions warrant that). I get tailgated a lot, unfortunately, and other motorists illegally pass me from time to time.

Not that this makes me a superior person or even a better driver than anyone else. I just do what I can to minimize risk.

Did you phrase it in a negative so I'd have to think extra hard about how to answer it? tongue.png

I honestly do drive the speed limit (or below, when conditions warrant that). I get tailgated a lot, unfortunately, and other motorists illegally pass me from time to time.

Not that this makes me a superior person or even a better driver than anyone else. I just do what I can to minimize risk.

Yes tongue.png

Interesting. I was just curious. I remember you saying you enjoyed driving because it was an introspective activity. I'm the same (in fact, after I finish Uni probably the only thing I'll miss is the commute). Though I can't claim to always obey the speed limits.

To be honest, I think it probably does make you a superior person tongue.png

Esteban Gutiérrez has a full name.

His full name is Esteban Manuel Gutiérrez Gutiérrez.

For those who understand Spanish names better than I do: does this mean his mother's maiden name was also Gutiérrez? Are his father and mother related?

I realize this is the kind of hard-hitting, pressing issue that needs to be addressed. I just wanted to learn something about Spanish names (or about acceptable marriage practices in other countries)...

...or I'm a nosy, gossip-mongering E! News viewer. Whatever.