Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Insider

Today In F1

Well, you can't say Red Bull doesn't care about Jean-Éric Vergne now. They're doing everything they can to make him look good with that partnering. Nothing against Kvyat, of course, but he's not ready. There's no way he could be.

I fear f1 has lost it's uniqueness as to only a "certain" person can drive these, yes you have to be good and yes you need experience, but how much do drivers like kvyat have? Not like 10/15yrs ago when the youngest was around 22-25. Where they a better class of driver back then due to the extra few years experience? I think so, f1 was alot closer back then in terms of different winners in a season.

Kvyat's racing record isn't too bad actually. Has done fairly well in the series' he's competed in. However he hasn't driven a car even close to F1 yet. Not driven in GP2 or in FR 3.5 which are the main stepping stones into F1. By signing Kvyat, Toro Rosso are throwing him straight into the deep end. They've announced that they'll give him a few runs in Friday practice sessions for the remainder of the season so we'll see how he does then but so far, signing him has given Toro Rosso a bad image going into 2014.

I don't really see why STR even need him. They don't need the money. And if they really want to foster drivers for RBR then picking up a guy like Kvyat is probably the worst thing to do. But hey, at least we know STR aren't shy to firing drivers mid season when they don't live up to expectations.

I don't really see why STR even need him. They don't need the money. And if they really want to foster drivers for RBR then picking up a guy like Kvyat is probably the worst thing to do. But hey, at least we know STR aren't shy to firing drivers mid season when they don't live up to expectations.

Bring back Alguersuari.

Yeah Alguersuari wasn't actually a bad driver. Shame they didn't keep him on but at least he's earning a decent paycheck off Pirelli.

Yeah Alguersuari wasn't actually a bad driver. Shame they didn't keep him on but at least he's earning a decent paycheck off Pirelli.

IMO when they sacked him, he was just starting to show his stuff.

The basic analysis of STR that I did a while ago essentially showed that Alguersuari was the team's best non-Vettel driver ever. There were rumors he would be in DTM or IndyCar, but he never appeared. He'd be welcome in either, with F1 out of reach.

The basic analysis of STR that I did a while ago essentially showed that Alguersuari was the team's best non-Vettel driver ever. There were rumors he would be in DTM or IndyCar, but he never appeared. He'd be welcome in either, with F1 out of reach.

Severely underrated IMO.

http://gptoday.com/f...ri_was_illegal/

Not like it matters nearly 7 years later, but it does make me wonder about that title Raikkonen won.

This is such old news, Stepney is just bitter at Ferrari. If I recall correctly, after the Australian GP, FIA came up with more stringent tests for the floors because the interpretation of the rules was considered unclear. This happens all the time and teams always try to take advantage of these things. McLaren decided not to protest at the time, which should say it all.

Remember when Mclaren ran the extra brake pedal in 1998? To allow them to control front and rear independently.

Alonso m ay miss the US GP due to issues with his back after the Abu Dhabi GP.

Now we understand why Ferrari aren't taking their 2014 drivers to the mountain for the Wroom event this year.

Because then it would be a "Brokeback Mountain"

Badum tish.

Alonso m ay miss the US GP due to issues with his back after the Abu Dhabi GP.

Now we understand why Ferrari aren't taking their 2014 drivers to the mountain for the Wroom event this year.

Because then it would be a "Brokeback Mountain"

Badum tish.

That might explain Kimi's divorce too.... ;)

I knew after Alonso went way wide while overtaking Grosjean resulting in that massive jolt was gonna be a sore one. Time for Nando to make way for the mighty Luca Badoer...

Mike Coughlan has landed with the Richard Childress Racing team of the NASCAR tour, for anyone who enjoys following Mike's adventures. It's not his first NASCAR experience.

It's amazing how NASCAR is about as close to F1 and LMP1 racing as it gets. It doesn't look that way on the surface, but they're about the only three divisions where teams build their own chassis and their own engines (technically, not all do in NASCAR, but Childress is one of the teams that builds both).

Luckily for Mike, NASCAR technology is a bit outdated, so there won't be any of those tempting photocopiers in the paddock for another two decades. :P

Isn't Coughlan and aero man though? I don't see much aero happening in those flying bricks in Nascar lol

There is a bit, the duct tape on the front always makes me laugh, adding or removing to increase or decrease engine temperature. Like my go kart, you tape up the radiator if its a cold morning to minimise airflow for a warmer motor faster and visa versa for hotter days. Though taping up the radiator means having to duck out of the slipstream more frequent to cool the engine on the straight. So it's a catch 22.

Isn't Coughlan and aero man though? I don't see much aero happening in those flying bricks in Nascar lol

Not to make it Today in NASCAR, but the complaint over there is actually the opposite: the cars have become so aero dependent and lost their roots in mechanical grip.

I'm a fan of high-aero road racing, like F1 and sports cars. They race the track, so you get those fantastic shots of cars braking and launching. It's a thrill to watch.

There's less racing the track on speedways (some are very, very demanding, like Darlington or Pocono), so you rely on racing the competition. When the cars are planted aerodynamically, oval racing can be tough to watch.

"Clean air" has become a massive advantage, and most of the action takes place on restarts; hence, NASCAR throws illegitimate cautions from time-to-time (in the last race, a car went off-line, hit nothing, and kept going. Safety car came out).

NASCAR's been experimenting with new aero rules for next year to try to enhance competition. They've gotten into F1 territory, where the trailing car becomes unstable in the air. "Aero push" is the buzz word of the broadcast; when the trailing car loses downforce on the front tires, it suffers understeer in the corners. Aero push has made overtaking a lot harder.

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/473119/Ferrari_already_secretly_testing_F1_V6_turbo_engine_at_Fiorano/

This is absolute sex. I wasn't around for the 1.5T engines of yesteryear, but if this is anywhere near what we can expect, then consider me a huge fan. IMO this sounds so much better than the Mercedes 1.6T unit outed.

Dont know why they bother putting these new ones on the calendar in the first place, happens nearly every year!

Couldn't care less about Korea being gone.