Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Insider

Today In F1

I'm very sad to say Damon Hill has voiced his support for double-points. Damon is like god to me and it pains me for him to have a view that I disagree so strongly with!

"If you go to Wimbledon and you are in a knock-out competition it then gets more crucial and more important the closer you get to the final - and the final is worth a lot more points than the first round," Hill reasoned with Sky Sports News.

"Personally, I don't see what the story is about. Winning the World Championship is the goal and if it gets more and more intense towards the end, and there is more at stake at the end of the championship, then that should be more exciting."

Bet he wouldn't be saying that if he was fighting for a championship again, besides I thought it was f1 not tennis.

On lighter note, Williams seem to have signed the "martini racing" sponsorship as it looks like team shirts and merchandise is already available.

http://www.gptoday.com/details/view/478038/Pssst_Wanna_buy_a_Martini_Williams_Formula_1_team_shirt/

Yeah I also agree that comparing an F1 season to a knock-out tennis tournament is invalid.

Good to see the Martini thing, i'm looking forward to seeing what the Williams looks like in Melbourne. And hopefully it'll be on the front row of the grid!

Ohh wouldnt that be nice for Massa? After so long between victories, this is like a breath of fresh air for him.

Bahrain in-season test: Ricciardo lost most of the morning due to technical problems and his first run in the afternoon was cut short because..he hit a bird!

If that is not bad luck then I don't know what to call it.

Bahrain in-season test: Ricciardo lost most of the morning due to technical problems and his first run in the afternoon was cut short because..he hit a bird!

If that is not bad luck then I don't know what to call it.

Did he tweet about it?

PitLaneTalk@pitlanetalk 5 h

BREAKING NEWS: Flavio Briatore rumored to replace Stefano Domenicali at Ferrari. Ross Brawn also on the list. #F1 #Formula1

I hope this is true simply because that would drive everybody mad! I think it's just hogwash, but Flabby and his magical thing at Ferrari would just be too funny to miss it.

PitLaneTalk@pitlanetalk 5 h

BREAKING NEWS: Flavio Briatore rumored to replace Stefano Domenicali at Ferrari. Ross Brawn also on the list. #F1 #Formula1

I hope this is true simply because that would drive everybody mad! I think it's just hogwash, but Flabby and his magical thing at Ferrari would just be too funny to miss it.

I wouldn't be surprised if Domenicali got the boot soon, but, in my opinion, Briatore has no place in F1 (nor any other racing venue), the sooner everyone forgets about him the better.

I wouldn't be surprised if Domenicali got the boot soon, but, in my opinion, Briatore has no place in F1 (nor any other racing venue), the sooner everyone forgets about him the better.

You are no fun :P

I've always wondered, does briatore "actually" know anything about formula one?

I've always wondered, does briatore "actually" know anything about formula one?

Hey crashgate may have been illegal but you gotta be impressed with the planning and execution, it worked out perfectly! And that takes immense f1 knowledge to have pulled it off.

And he oversaw Benetton's championship years.

But then he sacked Jenson Button, so no, he knows absolutely nothing about racing tongue.png

Lol i guess. Well atleast if I work to the top of Calvin klien I might run a space crew one day, since I would have all the knowledge needed.

Briatore is a crook if there ever was one. But just like all succesful crooks, what he lacks in morals he compensate with shrewdness, and let's not forget that crooks aren't exactly a rara avis in F1. Brawn, Dennis, Todt, Williams...these aren't exactly the Salvation Army. As for Flabby's knowledge, as Jem said, he is a succesful crook, see my post about Andrea Sassetti for an unsuccesful clothes dealer, for comparison purposes!

Does he know anything about F1? Yes, lots. Does he know anything about F1 engineering side? Zero, zilch, nada. But was a Team Principal, all he needed is the ability to pick the right men, motivate them, do a lot of politics and pay them as little as possible. He did all that efficiently.

Schumacher didn't kick the guy while he was down. The guy was down BECAUSE Schumi kicked him with the car :P

Oh, you mean the other way around? Even more wrong.

According to the article, the guy was hit by Schumi's Audi on November, and he obviously filed a complaint. From then on, the justice system followed the established procedures. What did you expect them to do? The guy should have gone to a fortune teller to see whether Schumi would fall into a coma or not before pressing charges? And I don't know of any justice system that stops working because the defendant had an accident.

They are as bad as the government of wherever Schumi has residence now, which I guess still asks Mr.Schumacher to pay his taxes, or the phone company who expects him to pay his bills. If he cant, then somebody will on his behalf. Common sense.

I never said the guy that was hit is wrong to sue Schumi while he's in a coma. The guy has every right to do so. I just thought that it was rather unfortunate timing with the condition Schumi is in right now.

Simona de Silvestro tested a Sauber C31 (2012) in her old IndyCar livery (blue, green, and white) today to log miles toward a Super License. This article details the plan here. Watch the video and activate CC in your favorite language if spoken German is not your strong point, as the article says. Some interesting tidbits, including how IndyCar fitness focuses on the arms (no power steering) while F1 focuses on the neck.

http://motorsportstalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/26/de-silvestro-completes-first-f1-test-for-sauber/

Simona de Silvestro is a really, really cool person and definitely became part of Indy 500 lore when she burned her hands terribly and put a horribly old, overweight, and slow car nicknamed (by her) "Porkchop" into the field of 33 with a little bit of help from the weather, all in a year six cars FTQ-ed, including two from powerhouse Andretti.

Does she have "it" for F1? I just don't know. Derrick Walker thought she did. Will Buxton was impressed with her GP2 test back in 2006, when she had only ever raced as high as Formula BMW and thus it was a huge jump. But IndyCar racing is just so foreign to F1, so we can't conclude anything there. She was never in good equipment, so her results in Indy weren't great, but that's also irrelevant to F1 because the cars have nothing in common, basically.

In FBMW and Atlantics, she was a solid driver, and she's had some flashy runs in Indy taking the worst equipment to great results. Last year, she got a break in a mid-pack team as opposed to a back-marker, and got a podium in Houston. So, there's talent, but how much translates to F1, which is really isolated from everything else, you never know.

It's interesting to follow, though. Not often those of us in the U. S. get a driver who came up through our ladder system go to Europe, and unfortunately, it never seems to end well when it does! :lol:

Come on ladies, there has to be a fast one out there, quick enough for formula one.

I think the problem is that there isn't enough quantity to have the right quality at the right circumstances.

It's already hard to become a male F1 driver, among thousands of male drivers. What is the proportion of female drivers? I doubt it is higher than 5% of the total. So she has to be quick, be at the right country, with the right sponsor, making into the right series...and be succesful at them.

And all that would be enough in a perfect world with equal opportunities for both sexes. Reality is a little trickier than that.

Still, they are slowly flowing in. We already have 4 women in high profile positions in F1, not counting de Silvestro: Suzie Wolff, Claire Williams, Monisha Kaltenborn, and Nico Rosberg.

Things will get better, and grid girls will become a thing of the past. And Whitmarsh has to go!