Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Insider

Today In F1

So anyone else heard this strange rumour of Kimi to Red Bull alongside Vettel?

So anyone else heard this strange rumour of Kimi to Red Bull alongside Vettel?

Kimi's manager launched the rumour by saying that he "is negotiating with some teams that everyone else thinks have no vacancies".

Most people think the Campos seats are locked up :whistling:

Yes, although Kimi has said he wants a car that can WIN races. :P

Toyota pushing hard for Kubica

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/79109

Kubica is my favorite driver, I think that if he had a chance to go to Toyota instead of signing with Renault, it would have been the better option. Toyota fielded a strong car this year, and if they are not backing out of F1 now, then they are committed to developing a strong car next year.

Toyota has five podiums this year compared to one for Renault. Trulli and Glock is the lineup for goodness sake! Are those drivers of the same calibur as the car that Toyota fielded this year? I think Kubica would have won a couple races with the same equipment in 09.

Then there's all this cheating stuff and losing ING and major team players. Is Renault really where it needs to be to field a competitive car next year?

The best car available is the clearest path to success. Success is the clearest path to Ferrari. Ferrari is the clearest path to the WDC. Everyone wants 1 year deals because they know Ferrari is shopping for their Lewis-killer and are willing to knock on doors until they find him. This is why Ferrari keeps on with the nonsense about three cars next year, they are desperate to find the solution to Lewis Hamilton as fast as possible.

It would seem that Flavio is going to be booted out of English football, despite a temporary stay of execution yesterday. I feared this would happen and said so so a while back. On top of that, Renault's woes continue with rumours that Grosjean will be replaced for the rest of the season. They have Kubica coming in but if paddock stories are to be believed, he couldn't set up a checkers board, let alone an F1 car. So, if the stories are true, pairing him with a rookie would be as useful to the team as a chocolate fireguard! KImi is a good fit anywhere, especially it would seem, at Red Bull, [where I believe he will end up, after all, he does like a drink! - with Webber going back to Williams or on to Toyota. Of course, there are other quick, intelligent, 'technical' drivers who are still unplaced or currently unemployed. Davidson, Klein, Wurz, De La Rosa, Paffett and the master of them all, Barrichello. There is also Franck Montagny, if he could be lured away from Indy. Like all the teams, Renault should be taking a long hard look at the sports' continued fascination with putting raw, inexperienced youngsters behind the wheel of a 300 kph supercar with little or no test miles under their belts. Grosjean looks all at sea to me and even Alguersuari, [in my opinion a mega quick star of the future] who delivers precise, informative feedback is finding the adjustment from his World Series by Renault ride to an STR-Ferrari a real handful. The roundabout won't stop for some time but Flavio must be rueing his non-attendance at the FIA hearings. A silly, arrogant man.

Kubica is my favorite driver, I think that if he had a chance to go to Toyota instead of signing with Renault, it would have been the better option. Toyota fielded a strong car this year, and if they are not backing out of F1 now, then they are committed to developing a strong car next year.

Toyota has five podiums this year compared to one for Renault. Trulli and Glock is the lineup for goodness sake! Are those drivers of the same calibur as the car that Toyota fielded this year? I think Kubica would have won a couple races with the same equipment in 09.

Then there's all this cheating stuff and losing ING and major team players. Is Renault really where it needs to be to field a competitive car next year?

The best car available is the clearest path to success. Success is the clearest path to Ferrari. Ferrari is the clearest path to the WDC. Everyone wants 1 year deals because they know Ferrari is shopping for their Lewis-killer and are willing to knock on doors until they find him. This is why Ferrari keeps on with the nonsense about three cars next year, they are desperate to find the solution to Lewis Hamilton as fast as possible.

I agree in the fact that Kubica could have been better off at Toyota. On current pace, it seems like a backwards step turning down Toyota and going to Renault. Mind you, you can't get much further back than BMW currently, so anything is an improvement I guess! But Kubica has been connected to Renault for most of his career, so it was to be expected really. Reportedly though, the wind tunnel model testing for the R30 is going solidly, that is being reported by AUTOSPORT in their magazine this week.

It would seem that Flavio is going to be booted out of English football, despite a temporary stay of execution yesterday. I feared this would happen and said so so a while back. On top of that, Renault's woes continue with rumours that Grosjean will be replaced for the rest of the season. They have Kubica coming in but if paddock stories are to be believed, he couldn't set up a checkers board, let alone an F1 car. So, if the stories are true, pairing him with a rookie would be as useful to the team as a chocolate fireguard! KImi is a good fit anywhere, especially it would seem, at Red Bull, [where I believe he will end up, after all, he does like a drink! - with Webber going back to Williams or on to Toyota. Of course, there are other quick, intelligent, 'technical' drivers who are still unplaced or currently unemployed. Davidson, Klein, Wurz, De La Rosa, Paffett and the master of them all, Barrichello. There is also Franck Montagny, if he could be lured away from Indy. Like all the teams, Renault should be taking a long hard look at the sports' continued fascination with putting raw, inexperienced youngsters behind the wheel of a 300 kph supercar with little or no test miles under their belts. Grosjean looks all at sea to me and even Alguersuari, [in my opinion a mega quick star of the future] who delivers precise, informative feedback is finding the adjustment from his World Series by Renault ride to an STR-Ferrari a real handful. The roundabout won't stop for some time but Flavio must be rueing his non-attendance at the FIA hearings. A silly, arrogant man.

Interesting point you bring up as regards to Kimi and Mark's futures. I was very sceptical at first when I heard the Red Bull/ Kimi story, but day by day it is starting to make more sense. I agree in that we could see him there.

As for Mark, well, other than the Alonso to Ferrari rumour that came up year on year before it was announced, another common one was Webber to Renault. So how about it this year? Grosjean hasn't performed well and Mark has some connections with Renault still, even though Flavio has gone.

In my view we've had 2 or the 3 key drivers to the market in Alonso and Kubica's deal's being announced. I think the last major one is Kimi now. It'll be very interesting to see if he goes to McLaren, Toyota or Red Bull.

I agree in the fact that Kubica could have been better off at Toyota. On current pace, it seems like a backwards step turning down Toyota and going to Renault. Mind you, you can't get much further back than BMW currently, so anything is an improvement I guess! But Kubica has been connected to Renault for most of his career, so it was to be expected really. Reportedly though, the wind tunnel model testing for the R30 is going solidly, that is being reported by AUTOSPORT in their magazine this week.

Interesting point you bring up as regards to Kimi and Mark's futures. I was very sceptical at first when I heard the Red Bull/ Kimi story, but day by day it is starting to make more sense. I agree in that we could see him there.

As for Mark, well, other than the Alonso to Ferrari rumour that came up year on year before it was announced, another common one was Webber to Renault. So how about it this year? Grosjean hasn't performed well and Mark has some connections with Renault still, even though Flavio has gone.

In my view we've had 2 or the 3 key drivers to the market in Alonso and Kubica's deal's being announced. I think the last major one is Kimi now. It'll be very interesting to see if he goes to McLaren, Toyota or Red Bull.

Kimi's manager has confirmed they are not looking at Redbull.

Well, we'll see. I'll be happy when everybody has confirmed their driver line-ups and the confusion stops, although it is pretty fun to speculate!

Reportedly though, the wind tunnel model testing for the R30 is going solidly, that is being reported by AUTOSPORT in their magazine this week.

Hopefully so, it would be quite an accomplishment to bring it together next year.

Saw this article today: Was Kubica

I don't get the whole Kubica thing. I've been watching this sport for a number of years and he seems very ordinary to me. Quick? - of course he is but so are most of the crew he came up with. Can he set up a car? Not very well, I hear. Does he give good feedback? I'm told he's highly emotive on a bad day and severely lacking in detail on a good one. He is also sullen, moody, erratic, whingy and a PR man's worst nightmare. On the good side, he can charge and doesn't have too many 'offs'. I believe his one year contract with the Regie is more an escape road for them than shrewd management from his handlers. I wish him well, of course but the fact that Brawn showed complete disinterest in signing him, speaks volumes for me.

I think it is because he is interested in the one thing he was brought into F1 to do. To race and win. If I was in his shoes, I wouldn't care about the BS of F1 politics either.

OK, let get into the meat of this one. What is the problem Williams and Campos are having with letting Qadbak/Sauber on the grid for 2010? Where do Campos get off anyway? Of course, they have a say but will they be there? Williams haven't got a decent sponsor or engine and might not make it too, irrespective of the tenacity of the team's owners. Peter Sauber's enterprise has the infrastructure, expertise and flair to add something to the sport. He's also trying to keep 700 people in their jobs. What is going on?

They know they'll be beaten.

I wish Manor and Sauber were allowed entry. They both seem legitimate (the latter is legitimate). Campos...I could go either way. They'll be horribly uncompetitive, though. Team US F1...I'll never believe it until I see it on the grid in Bahrain (probably last row...the American will crash on the parade lap at the first right-hander, and the veteran will be the last car classified as the team will only use two tire changers, NASCAR-style, and the pit stops will take 15 seconds).

OK, let get into the meat of this one. What is the problem Williams and Campos are having with letting Qadbak/Sauber on the grid for 2010? Where do Campos get off anyway? Of course, they have a say but will they be there? Williams haven't got a decent sponsor or engine and might not make it too, irrespective of the tenacity of the team's owners. Peter Sauber's enterprise has the infrastructure, expertise and flair to add something to the sport. He's also trying to keep 700 people in their jobs. What is going on?

Williams hopes to snatch Petronas from Sauber and has tendency to show its importance in the F1 World.

Campos is just plain stupid, attracting enemies before first wheel spinning.

We will see if FIA genuinely wants to have 14 teams or was just being polite towards Sauber. If they want it, FW balls (bank account) will be squeezed by Bernie and Max, and opposition will crumble. Engine for Williams may play part in it. Frank is most probably told by FOTA that he can have Cosworth if he still does not agree or Renault if he agrees to Sauber.

I don't think Sauber are really well set-up currently. I doubt they'll make it. As Frank Williams said "Why change the rules for one team?"

They might agree to let them join, only for them never to appear. Then it was a waste of time in agreeing to change the rules anyway.

I don't think Sauber are really well set-up currently. I doubt they'll make it. As Frank Williams said "Why change the rules for one team?"

They might agree to let them join, only for them never to appear. Then it was a waste of time in agreeing to change the rules anyway.

To save 700 jobs? Do not underestimate Peter Sauber. He has Hinwil in the deal, wind tunnels and all. He'll be OK. Personally, as much as I respect FW, he's becoming a major pain and his team's going south, I'm afraid.

To be honest, if they were that confident of their future and were set-up that well, they'd have been chosen over Lotus.

Will those 700 jobs be safe though, even if they did get the nod? I highly doubt it.

To be honest, if they were that confident of their future and were set-up that well, they'd have been chosen over Lotus.

Will those 700 jobs be safe though, even if they did get the nod? I highly doubt it.

They didn't exist in time to be chosen over Lotus. Qadbak joined after it was too late. Unfortunately, poor timing meant we get three lame-a## national teams that belong in A1GP when only Qadbak and Manor appear to be the least bit legitimate.

All 700 won't be saved, but more than 0 will be.

I found the explanation as to why Frank doesn't want Sauber on the grid: he is privately trying to get Petronas to sponsor his team next year.

Frank's getting to be a bit annoying. He's not as unlikeable as Ross Brawn, but he's closing in. It's too bad; Williams had been my second favorite team, but they're starting to act stupidly.

Act stupidly? This is F1! Everybody acts stupidly! Ferrari acts stupidly, McLarens acts stupidly, BMW acts stupidly, Renault acts very stupidly, Toyota acts stupidly, Williams act stupidly, the question is, who doesn't act stupidly? :P

For me I think the genuine new teams will be Campos and Lotus with Manor a possibility.

Act stupidly? This is F1! Everybody acts stupidly! Ferrari acts stupidly, McLarens acts stupidly, BMW acts stupidly, Renault acts very stupidly, Toyota acts stupidly, Williams act stupidly, the question is, who doesn't act stupidly? :P

For me I think the genuine new teams will be Campos and Lotus with Manor a possibility.

Force India don't, because they are beautiful people who love bunnies and whistlepigs and baking cookies for every one on the grid, and all the fans at the Asian races since it's only 2 extra cookies.

I doubt Campos. They're looking for pay-drivers. They were definitely a "budget cap" team, which makes me kind of concerned. After the bad publicity F1 got from "crashgate," one of their sponsors allegedly pulled out (not sure if it was BBVA or Tel

Fun time Frankie doesn't want Qadbak on the grid 'cos: he knows bugger all about them and they seem nice 'n shady (see Martin Whitmarsh quotes); rules is rules; he's old and stubborn; he's trying to steal Petronas (probably); and he doesn't need the extra competition.

If BMW had been less stoopid they would have signed the Concorde Agreement so that the team actually had a place on the grid, therefore making it more valuable and saleable and preventing this whole Sh#tty post and problems for them.

Yeah, I think Campos will be the strongest team as they have Dallara (somebody people have actually heard of) building the car, so I'm confident they'll do solidly.