Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Insider

Today In F1

Ok, you all write 1.000.000 times 'BMW don't act stupidly but Mr. Theissen does'. And you Eric 100 times Telef

BMW DON'T act stupidly? Yeah right.

Maybe when they decided to leave F1 when they should have fired Theissen and give Kubica a decent car for a whole season last year.

To be honest, if they were that confident of their future and were set-up that well, they'd have been chosen over Lotus.

Will those 700 jobs be safe though, even if they did get the nod? I highly doubt it.

OK, jobs will go but to be fair the Lotus entry is a pure marketing move by FOM. Peter Sauber has got his hands on a going concern - you can hardly call Gascoyne and his crew that. Would BGP have been dumped in the same scenario? No, because Honda had paid their 2009 entry fee. BMW missed a trick with that and with holding off an announcement until the season end.

I found the explanation as to why Frank doesn't want Sauber on the grid: he is privately trying to get Petronas to sponsor his team next year.

Frank's getting to be a bit annoying. He's not as unlikeable as Ross Brawn, but he's closing in. It's too bad; Williams had been my second favorite team, but they're starting to act stupidly.

Do you know Ross Brawn? I suggest you don't judge him until you do.

Yeah, I think Campos will be the strongest team as they have Dallara (somebody people have actually heard of) building the car, so I'm confident they'll do solidly.

Oh, good old Dallara. Famous for building some of the rubbish-est F1 cars ever, and an IndyCar that looks like a lawn dart and handles like a semi. Talk about winners :P.

And you Eric 100 times Telef

I'm sure you're better qualified to give an assessment of Ross than I ever will be, but from what's been made public, I can't help but not like him. I found it very honorable of him to take the financial sacrifice to save the Honda employees, so I do give him a lot of credit for that. However, he's shown himself to be egotistical (telling Virgin to go away because he didn't want to change the name of the team) and hypocritical (calling for the banning of diffusers recently when he runs one on his own car), as well as a total asswipe (the whole speeding incident). Of course, you could easily say I'm the hypocrite because my screenname is lewisthegreat2, and he was a total asswipe and had a similar speeding incident, so we'll just pretend that never happened...:whistling:

Seriously, though, I'm 16 years old and know nothing about F1. I wouldn't lose too much sleep over my dislike of Ross, whether it's justified or not.

Yeah, like he's the only one who speeds! :rolleyes: Let's get over the "OMG he speeded!" thing shall we, it really isn't that big of a deal. I bet you'll speed sometime in your life. I bet nearly everybody on this forum has already or will do.

And as for Dallara, I said they'd perform solidly, not win. There IS a differance.

[quote name='lewisthegreat2' date='11 October 2009 - 02:03 PM' timestamp='1255269799' post='300951']
Force India don't, because they are beautiful people who love bunnies and whistlepigs and baking cookies for every one on the grid, and all the fans at the Asian races since it's only 2 extra cookies.

[/quote]

From the way things are going for Vijay back home (his airline business) I am sure there are many leftover cookies to be given for free... :P (other airlines too are doing badly)

From the way things are going for Vijay back home (his airline business) I am sure there are many leftover cookies to be given for free... :P (other airlines too are doing badly)

FI would be a top target for Hyundai/Kia. Vijay didn't work his nuts off to get rich just to go broke over a second childhood wet dream. If the team don't become a regular points scorer in 2010, he'll surely unload it. Those are my thoughts.

Don't know if it's been mentioned but either way, thank god for free newspapers:

Cracked vertebra rules Glock out of Brazil GP

TOYOTA'S Timo Glock will miss next weekend's Brazilian Grand Prix due to a cracked vertebra sustained in the previous Formula One race in Japan.

Glock will be replaced by Toyota's reserve driver Kamui Kobayashi at Interlagos -- the penultimate race of the 2009 season.

Glock crashed heavily in qualifying in Japan and missed the race, with Toyota only fielding one car at Suzuka.

While the German driver said at the time that it was stitches in a cut left calf that would prevent him driving in the Japanese Grand Prix, the team said subsequent scans had revealed the back injury.

http://www.herald.ie/sport/other-sports/motorsport-cracked-vertebra-rules-glock-out-of-brazil-gp-1910682.html

Funny spelling of vertebrea. Anyhoo, yet another injury & was gonna post Massa's return in an F2007 but twas already posted. Hope Kobayashi can prove himself but probably won't!

It's not been a good season for driver injuries has it? But I suppose it's much better than the bad old days where drivers were getting killed at every race....

I may have missed it skimming the article, but it seemed to me Brawn wasn't talking about improving in terms of drivers. Rosberg seems to be the only option.

Kimi makes more money if he doesn't race than if he does, and can still drive in WRC or Le Mans or a random assortment of various races for funsies to stay in shape and come back in 2011 if he wants to. I'm not recommending he does that, and I think it would extremely greedy to leave F1 just to make 2,000,000 Euros more, but hey, he's a WDC, what's he got left to prove? Might as well try to earn his way into the greatest of all-time list by succeeding at other disciplines.

Ross Brawn seems a little too 'chatty' to me at the moment. There is something big up his sleeve. He is generally no so open or candid. He has dispelled any lingering doubts folk may have had with regard to Virgin and put the the cork in the Merc buy-in bottle - for now, at least. He is upbeat about the sport's future and the BGP002. It is now patently obvious that JB's mid-season's downturn in performance was mostly due to a lack of development of the 09 car. However, Ross did admit that turning their focus to the 2010 car so early, very nearly backfired on them. Well, he is after all, the strategist's strategist. It clearly frayed the Frome Flyer's nerve though. What we don't know, is where the Brawn 2010 budget is coming from or who the pilots are. Are Honda still in the background? Are Volkswagen AG about to take a stake in F1, as some pundits have forecast, under Brawn's stewardship as the owners of Porsche, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Audi, Seat, and Skoda strive to overtake GM and Toyota at the largest car manufacturer on Earth. Not with a Mercedes engine, I shouldn't think. Are Hyundai/Kia waiting in the wings - one of the few manufacturers who are actually still turning a profit and are apparently, actively seeking an investment in F1 through the good offices of bernie Ecclestone. Well, they didn't jump at BMW did they? So, it would seem the future of the hottest team on the grid will remain shrouded in mystery for a little while yet. Watch this space. By the way, where does Tamara Ecclestone get off dissing the WDC? Totally uncalled for, if you ask me.

By the way, where does Tamara Ecclestone get off dissing the WDC? Totally uncalled for, if you ask me.

Well, she's hardly an expert though :)

Did you ever see her when she was a co-presenter of Red Bull Air Races?

Oh the horror.... :o Let's just put it this way.... she does not seem to have inherited her Dad's intellectual capacity...

Well, she's hardly an expert though :)

Did you ever see her when she was a co-presenter of Red Bull Air Races?

Oh the horror.... :oLet's just put it this way.... she does not seem to have inherited her Dad's intellectual capacity...

No, but she certainly has his lack of tact and the gift of the gaffe!

Following on from what I had to say about Ross Brawn, I was surprised as anyone else that JB didn't show for the victory parade in Brackley yesterday. Ross was quoted as saying, 'I'm 99% on Jenson Button' in reference to the team's 2010 driver line-up but offered no explanation as to the WDC's whereabouts. Most strange. Such a protracted hold-up tells me that Jens is not as excited about next year's Brawn as Ross appears to be or is part of a devious plan to fox the rivals. It certainly isn't about money - Button has a pile of it invested in Abu Dhabi and Monaco real estate and spends little. He simply wants to achieve what no British driver has ever achieved: back-to-back Championships. The only explanation I can think of, is that this is indeed a strategic ploy by Ross to keep the opposition guessing. Otherwise, regardless of where he may be racing next year, Jenson's absence yesterday could only be construed as ungrateful and rude.

It is now patently obvious that JB's mid-season's downturn in performance was mostly due to a lack of development of the 09 car.

Is patently obvious BrawnGp had a midseason downturn and Jense had it too. If you consider the second half of the season he scored less points than Rubens. Fortunately -for him- he came back at Brasil.

Sauber/Qadback deal all going to cak:

http://www.totalf1.com/full_story/view/325930/Saubers_Qadbak_takeover_to_collapse/

If true, sounds like a right dogs' dinner (Adam please note deliberate apostrophe placement - its such a mess there are multiple dogs with a dinner.....) :)

Quick someone offer them

http://www.totalf1.c...er_to_collapse/

If true, sounds like a right dogs' dinner (Adam please note deliberate apostrophe placement - its such a mess there are multiple dogs with a dinner.....) :)

Quick someone offer them £1 and buy it up before USF1 does.....

The Qadback deal may be going to cak, but the Qadbak deal, well, I hear that's going to cake, or shepherd's/shepherds'/shepherds/sheepturds pie. ;)

I wouldn't worry about US F1 purchasing them. I imagine they're like most Americans and just replace "furrin" money symbols with the USD (and assume the USD is the most valuable monetary unit in the world, cuz there aren't any others, except fake godless communist play money...or something :P), so they'll end up $0.66 short.

http://www.totalf1.c...er_to_collapse/

Quick someone offer them £1 and buy it up before USF1 does.....

You're learning TF2 :clap3:

Unfortunately it should be "a right dog's dinner" since the idiom refers to the dinner of a single dog only.:P

Sorry

Concerns Qadback - can't say I'm all that surprised. What with this, USF1 and Donnington and all the other jokers thinking they can jump into F1 without sufficient funding, I think the FIA ought to rethink their cost cutting tactics. Not cost cutting itself, necessarily, but how they go about it and who they advertise cheap F1 to. It just encourages this kind of thing.

Will the grid be bigger than last year? I think perhaps by 1 or 2 teams max - great.

Will the grid be better next year? I think not - not so great.

Will the teams running on the cheap stay in F1 for the long haul? When they fail to score points anf ail to make any money / get decent sponsorship over the first 2 years, they'll be dropping like flies.

Where does this leave F1?

As a cheapened version of its former self, without the glamour to attract new wealthier teams / sponsors and without the depth of top notch teams its had in the past.

FI (to their credit) are the last team that will enter F1 with the understanding that acheivement costs money and takes effort in this sport. They were/are determined and deserve every success.

I don't think any of the new teams entering on the back of the cost cutting measures are really cut out for F1. Their motivation is all wrong.

ConcernsQadback - can't say I'm all that surprised. What with this, USF1 andDonnington and all the other jokers thinking they can jump into F1without sufficient funding, I think the FIA ought to rethink their costcutting tactics. Not cost cutting itself, necessarily, but how they goabout it and who they advertise cheap F1 to. It just encourages thiskind of thing.

Fear not. Jos