Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Insider

Today In F1

Ooh, Prodrive, perfect. If I wanted my employees to have a future I'd sell to the team that's failed to make the grid twice. Yeah!

They'd go for Genii first, assuming those are the only two bids. Insider's got this one spot on in my opinion.

Surely Ken and Peter will bid on it. They'll handle all negotiations US-style so they won't need any money. Give us the team or get your asses kicked. With a plastic water gun. Because that's really all their budget would allow them to buy.

Hmm, there has been no announcement other than there are two bids on the table, one of them alleged to be Prodrive. It is thought that Renault may favour the non-Prodrive bid as the company involved have committed to absorb the Renault Young Driver Program. Also, Prodrive would probably not honour Kubica's agreement and the Regie would end up having to compensate him. That is my information.

yes - the article I sourced said only that renault were likely to sell and "gradually" move into being engine supplier only over the next year. It didn't say the deal was sealed or that it was only prodrive in the picture.

mikathegreat was jumping the gun on that one a little.

Ooh, Prodrive, perfect. If I wanted my employees to have a future I'd sell to the team that's failed to make the grid twice. Yeah!

laugh.gif Why am I still amazed at the sharpened barb of youthful Eric's cynicism?

Bernie seems confident:

"We've got to get the whole Renault thing sorted out," "We are in the middle of doing it now. I feel confident that we'll see Renault next year in Formula One under the name Renault and the year after and the year after that."

It was announced today that Silverstone signed a 17 year deal to host the British Grand Prix. Good for the sport (yes?), good for those who care about the continued inclusion of traditional venues such as Monza, Monaco, Spa and Silverstone, good for hard cheering and rabid race fans in England. So how come I didn't hear more shouting about this?

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/091207134502.shtml

17 years? Wow. That's a long time in the future. I bet in 17 years, NASCAR will introduce one of those innovative space-age fuel-injection engines, cars will fly, women will be allowed to pursue careers, Windows will develop and operating system that can do exciting things such as turn on and off, General Motors will still be running that same damn ad where they announce that a MINI Cooper* gets worse fuel economy than a Cadillac Escalade Hybrid** (*pulling an 18-wheeler, **when coasting down a hill with the engine off), there will be a television in every house, Sarah Palin will be serving her third term as president of the world, communists will pose a threat to us all by not saying "under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance because Russian Christians don't believe in God, US history will still be an awful class taught by a textbook that talks about how cruel and evil Spain was for using concentration camps but when the US used concentration camps they were referred to as "designated zones where certain people were asked to live in", the US will change to kilograms to make every feel like their weight is less and therefore consume more, the world will have not ended on 21 December 2012 because it already ended on 31 December 1999 anyway, I won't be in high school which will be quite pleasant because I'd like to escape the large number of people in high school who fail at bathing, I will probably still have never met a black person (the one I have met doesn't count, she wears Abercrombie), everyone will bitch and moan about how terrible F1 is without those superstars Lewis Hamilton and Fernando Alonso and randomly link both to returning to F1 with each and every team because they can't accept the fact that people get old and retire and spend their time sucking at racing motorbikes and flipping over Fiat vans and then being an advocate for safe driving, Ken Anderson and Peter Windsor will have complete a second wheel cover, and I'll be more than twice my current age.

But hooray for Silverstone, I'm hoping during one of those 17 years I'll go to it as it's the closest race to me minus the Grand Prix du Canada (which I'd like to go to, as well, at some point because Montr

Cozza's or Renault's or something else!

Cozza? Seriously? Cossie. Cossie Cossie Cossie.

Cosworth. Cossie.

Australian. Bogan Aussie.

Those are right.

Cosworth. Cozza.

Australian. Auzza.

Those are not so right.

But the it gets tricky.

Jeremy. Jezza.

That's right.

Jeremy. Jessie.

That's not right and won't be appreciated by poor old Jess.

Remember, Alt+130 makes an é, and the second derivative of velocity is jerk, which would equal zero if the first term of your distance equation was to the second power or less.

17 years? Wow. That's a long time in the future. I bet in 17 years, NASCAR will introduce one of those innovative space-age fuel-injection engines, cars will fly, women will be allowed to pursue careers, Windows will develop and operating system that can do exciting things such as turn on and off, General Motors will still be running that same damn ad where they announce that a MINI Cooper* gets worse fuel economy than a Cadillac Escalade Hybrid** (*pulling an 18-wheeler, **when coasting down a hill with the engine off), there will be a television in every house, Sarah Palin will be serving her third term as president of the world, communists will pose a threat to us all by not saying "under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance because Russian Christians don't believe in God, US history will still be an awful class taught by a textbook that talks about how cruel and evil Spain was for using concentration camps but when the US used concentration camps they were referred to as "designated zones where certain people were asked to live in", the US will change to kilograms to make every feel like their weight is less and therefore consume more, the world will have not ended on 21 December 2012 because it already ended on 31 December 1999 anyway, I won't be in high school which will be quite pleasant because I'd like to escape the large number of people in high school who fail at bathing, I will probably still have never met a black person (the one I have met doesn't count, she wears Abercrombie), everyone will bitch and moan about how terrible F1 is without those superstars Lewis Hamilton and Fernando Alonso and randomly link both to returning to F1 with each and every team because they can't accept the fact that people get old and retire and spend their time sucking at racing motorbikes and flipping over Fiat vans and then being an advocate for safe driving, Ken Anderson and Peter Windsor will have complete a second wheel cover, and I'll be more than twice my current age.

But hooray for Silverstone, I'm hoping during one of those 17 years I'll go to it as it's the closest race to me minus the Grand Prix du Canada (which I'd like to go to, as well, at some point because Montr

Today in F1, I've learned that Bernie is pushing the Genii/Mangrove bid for Renault like mad as he wants to insert Craig 'DipSh#t' Pollock as TP. This had set the alarms off at Enstone, I can tell you - they are horrified at the prospect. It's no wonder Lotus have not announced their lead driver yet. Villeneuve would clearly be a Pollock target. On the other side of the coin, even with Max gone, there is no love lost between wee Bernie and DR and I believe the former will do all in his power to stop Prodrive getting on the grid. I don't particularily like DR either, he comes off like a carpet salesman when you first meet him but he certainly has the nous and management skills to operate an F1 team. As far as other bids are concerned, word is that Bernie's long time clients, Hyundai/Kia are taking a look, as are VW. I hardly think either of those two would contemplate running a Renault lump. The info I am getting from Paris is the the Regie would want any investor/co-owner to retain the Renault name for at least two seasons, absorb their Young Driver Programme and honour Kubica's contract. That makes Genii the favourite but with Craig Pollock in charge? Well, I sincerely hope not. Kubica could clearly be a big loser here with Haug making it crystal clear that he does not rate him. However, the biggest faux pas may be Kimi's decision to rally. DR has long been an admirer of the Finn but with his eye firmly fixed on 'budget' racing, I think Renault and KR's wage demands may be out of his grasp. We'll see.

Awesome news about Silverstone.

Still wanted Donnington though....

Michael will bottle it and Kubica will be in a Merc.

Awesome news about Silverstone.

Still wanted Donnington though....

Michael will bottle it and Kubica will be in a Merc.

Not if Haug has anything to do with it, although it would appear that MGP have changed their position on Kubica. I understand that Haug and Brawn get along OK with Robert but see him as something of a loose cannon - something that neither man would tolerate. He has alarming speed but little common sense and is still very much a 'rookie' in that sense. I am led to believe Brawn would certainly prefer him to Heidfeld though.

Donny is a great track but if you've ever played a festival there, it's as much of a nightmare to access as Silverstone. With the money Jonathan Palmer is spending on Snetterton to bring it up to FIA Grade 2, I'd have thought they could go the extra mile, especially as they plan to build their own train station and hotel there.

17 years? Wow. That's a long time in the future. I bet in 17 years, NASCAR will introduce one of those innovative space-age fuel-injection engines, cars will fly, women will be allowed to pursue careers, Windows will develop... there will be a television in every house... because Russian Christians don't believe in God, US history will still be an awful class taught by a textbook that talks... the US will change to kilograms to make every(one) feel like their weight is less and therefore consume more... because I'd like to escape the large number of people in high school who fail at bathing... because they can't accept the fact that people get old and retire... and I'll be more than twice my current age... And now I have to go do homework like a little school boy and it will be fun. Yay Raskolnikov...

So I'll now take my lumps for bringing up the Silverstone news and causing Eric to go off like Mount freaking Pinatubo. I just don't know if it was the 4 pots of coffee or consuming novels in Russian Lit 101 that set him off.

(Eric, we all love you.)

So I'll now take my lumps for bringing up the Silverstone news and causing Eric to go off like Mount freaking Pinatubo. I just don't know if it was the 4 pots of coffee or consuming novels in Russian Lit 101 that set him off.

(Eric, we all love you.)

:lol: It makes more sense now that you've edited it, actually.

Russian Lit...well, I think you'd have a thing against Theodore D's Crimes and their Many Punishments if you had to play the role of Sonia Semenwhatever the prostitute when our class acted the book out in a 10 minute skit of failure (admittedly, I volunteered to have that role, and oddly enough, in 2027, I'm sure some teenage male somewhere will be doing the same because he, too, will realize that you have to have fun sometimes since we're all going to Hell anyway for murder, as thou shalt not kill, but everytime anyone washes their hands with soap, bacteria die. Maybe those awful-smelling kids who don't bathe have it right, after all. They're just trying not to be murderers like the rest of us).

So. Silverstone has the next 17 years.

Here come the claps and pats on the back for good old Damon and the old boys of the BRDC.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that GB have the GP. But in 17 years there's probably going to be a new circuit built by then.

My gripe with the BRDC is yes fair enough they own Silverstone-and the track can be renovated. But when are the powers that be going to realise that it'd do no harm in building a brand new circuit and bring GB back into this century (I say century because I have difficulty spelling milnellinum or whatever!).

I'd like to think the good-old-boys at the top would become just a little more updated.

laugh.gif It makes more sense now that you've edited it, actually.

Russian Lit...well, I think you'd have a thing against Theodore D's Crimes and their Many Punishments if you had to play the role of Sonia Semenwhatever the prostitute when our class acted the book out in a 10 minute skit of failure (admittedly, I volunteered to have that role, and oddly enough, in 2027, I'm sure some teenage male somewhere will be doing the same because he, too, will realize that you have to have fun sometimes since we're all going to Hell anyway for murder, as thou shalt not kill, but everytime anyone washes their hands with soap, bacteria die. Maybe those awful-smelling kids who don't bathe have it right, after all. They're just trying not to be murderers like the rest of us).

clap3.gif Dresier or Dostoyevsky, either way, that's significant weight on young shoulders. I can't account for the poor hygiene in New England adolescents, and as for Sonia and her 10 minute skirt, apparently Grabthaw the Ham Sandwich has also experienced some difficult moments and you may want to reach out to him for some intervention.

I see I've helped in getting this thread far removed from the "Today in F1" it should be so I will again ask for forgiveness.

I always found that studying a book in high school is the best way to sap all enjoyment from it.

So many great books where ruined for me that way - Catcher in the Rye, A Tale of Two Cities, Taming of the Shrew etc etc - those are just some of the ones I've gone back and read since and really enjoyed.

Crime and Punishment is a fantastic book - Dostoyevsky was a true master of representing the physical expressions of mental anguish and the claustrophobic nature of our own minds. Then again - I never had to study it. Had I, I probably would have hated it too.

'A Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovic' stil rates as my top Russian authored book - followed closely by 'the Gulag Archipelago' (not fiction) - Solzhenitsyn was truly a great author. Then perhaps 'the Idiot'. Crime and Punishment is up there though.

You forgot The Karamazov Brothers which I've found even more engrossing than Crime and Punishment.

I agree with you 100% about studying books. High school has a way to transform something as pleasurable as reading a good book into some kind of disgusting chore. It ruineed my taste for classical greek and latin literature for many years, something that I deeply regret now that I made myself a rather nice selection of classics, from Plato to Homer. I know it ruined any chances for some of my schoolmates to enjoy Borges.

You are so right; you know I never pick up any Human Geography text-books - school just ruined that for me :)

Actually Shakespeare was my bete noire. Lordy, lordy did my english teacher love to dissect every minute detail....

School killed lots of things.... Nearly killed my winky once too... My mates had a habit of nicking sodium from the chemistry labs. If you remember from your youth, this reacts violently with water and explodes. Cue one day when having a "waz" in the loos, my mate comes whilst I'm in mid-flow and chucks a huge lump of sodium each side of where I was stood which promptly started fizzing violently, burning and floating closer to my John Thomas.... Fortunately I managed to exercise great muscle control and extract before they exploded......

Then there was the occasion when I mouth-pipetted ether (not a good idea as I inhaled ether fumes accidently and ended up high for the rest of the afternoon).....

and the occasion when one of our physics teachers decided to boil chloroform in a class of kids.... next teacher comes in and finds the whole class passed out...

Ah those were the days..... :)

Perhaps this deserves a thread of it's own, way over yonder in "The Cafe"; something along the lines of joyless memories of education/memorable books & authors/who is reading what at present...

Perhaps this deserves a thread of it's own, way over yonder in "The Cafe"; something along the lines of joyless memories of education/memorable books & authors/who is reading what at present...

Ahhh, the innocence of new members. Been there years ago!

Yes, we could start a thread about all that. And it will soon drift towards things that happened today in F1. As you can see, most of us at TF1 suffer from ontopicphobia, a terrible disease. :D

most of us at TF1 suffer from ontopicphobia, a terrible disease.

sod this...

IF you can keep your head when all about you

Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,

If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,

But make allowance for their doubting too;

If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,

Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,

Or being hated, don't give way to hating,

And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise.

If you can dream - and not make dreams your master;

If you can think - and not make thoughts your aim;

If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster

And treat those two impostors just the same;

If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken

Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,

Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,

And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings

And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,

And lose, and start again at your beginnings

And never breathe a word about your loss;

If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew

To serve your turn long after they are gone,

And so hold on when there is nothing in you

Except the Will which says to them: 'Hold on!'

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,

' Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch,

if neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,

If all men count with you, but none too much;

If you can fill the unforgiving minute

With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,

Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,

And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

The most succinctly beautiful result of putting pen to paper ever.

EDIT - sorry - credit goes to Rudyard Kipling - not a terribly nice man, but a great ****ing writer.