Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Insider

Today In F1

Maybe someone saw a 1960's-esque Cooper or something with their windscreens?

Or someone got to level 50 already on GT5 and got to drive Newey's no holds barred, hooded awesome mobile... Yum

WOW! Just WOW! That car looks and is killer. First time I've ever considered Gran Turismo as something positive (my friends use it as an excuse for their low grades, so that's understandable... xD)

Newey's talents are wasted in F1....he should design for Le Mans

His salary suggests otherwise.

Anyway, best to not get one's knickers in a twist about windscreens. They would be silly not to investigate it; if there are legitimate problems that it would create, they will find them and they won't go through with it. If the FIA is good at one thing, it's safety (to an extent; I think their safety efforts are over-glorified and leave a bit to be desired, but anyway...). Don't let this turn into a certain IndyCar forum where every proposed change is met with "gosh durnit put them there engines in the front of them hot rods and take off them Eurotrash wings and let them real good ol' boys go razin!!!!" :P

If it's Telefonica, they have more money than brains! :P

Telefónica sponsored Minardi before...;)

But I don't think it's them. I'm expecting BBVA, personally. Either one would negate one of Senna's partners Embratel (telecom) or Banco Cruziero do Sol (banking), so he better hope its Repsol (I'd be shocked if it were; they would have followed Alguersuari if they wanted to get back into the F1 scene).

I also wonder if they'll have a Spanish driver now...

REPSOL used to have fairly prominent branding on the cars...they would not have gotten that at STR. Its the only place Jaime was going to, so would not make too much sense to follow him, unless they just wanted to sponsor a wing mirror.

Telefónica sponsored Minardi before...;)

But I don't think it's them. I'm expecting BBVA, personally. Either one would negate one of Senna's partners Embratel (telecom) or Banco Cruziero do Sol (banking), so he better hope its Repsol (I'd be shocked if it were; they would have followed Alguersuari if they wanted to get back into the F1 scene).

I also wonder if they'll have a Spanish driver now...

Hahah, good point, well made. They have more money than brains -official! :P

Well Pedro had been linked to HRT although I don't think he's at all confident he'll have a car to race.

JL: What news, Ted?

TK: I'm here in the McLaren garage and it seems you're being replaced by Coulthard.

JL: Extraordinary!

Or something.

I hate Legard and everyone knows it, and that hatred is rationally based on the ten minutes of him commentating I've heard in my life (the U.S. broadcast has their own team), but putting two ex-drivers in the booth (Brundle would be in the Legard role and D.C. in the Brundle role) doesn't do it for me. I'm a traditionalist in motor racing commentary. One play-by-play guy and two color guys, preferably one ex-driver and one ex-some-other-position-within-the-sport. You need someone to keep it moving. Eliminate Legard, but don't eliminate the position he fills.

Though any change is welcome, and we need change

I agree with you, Eric, but you should stick to just one account. This multiple account thing is tiring. We all know you 'round these parts so making a new account isn't really making a fresh start.

Unless this one time you *aren't* Eric and just happen to be a person who does a good Eric imitation.

I agree with Eric about needing someone who does Legard's role in the commentary box. That's what rumour says will be Brundle's job, which is unfortunate because I like the way he performs the colour role. Saying that, I'll take Brundle being relegated to the play by play stuff and DC doing the colour over Legard any day.

I wish they were replacing Legard with Crofty really! I'm not sure DC is interesting enough (voice wise)

Or something.

I hate Legard and everyone knows it, and that hatred is rationally based on the ten minutes of him commentating I've heard in my life (the U.S. broadcast has their own team), but putting two ex-drivers in the booth (Brundle would be in the Legard role and D.C. in the Brundle role) doesn't do it for me. I'm a traditionalist in motor racing commentary. One play-by-play guy and two color guys, preferably one ex-driver and one ex-some-other-position-within-the-sport. You need someone to keep it moving. Eliminate Legard, but don't eliminate the position he fills.

Though any change is welcome, and we need change

I thought you didn't watch F1? :P

And besides, I guess SPEED or whoever covers the races in America the problem is solved, you don't have to listen to BBC's commentary if you don't want to - especially seeing as you say you no longer find F1 interesting. I want to make it clear, this isn't an attack at you and I'm sorry if it comes across as one, but I'm just curious to your complaints.

I really have no problems with the job Legard's doing. I think we all to a certain degree underestimate exactly how challenging it is to be a commentator, especially for a sport that moves as quickly as Formula One does. I really don't see why everyone wants him fired, sure he's made a few errors and has a few repetitive phrases (what commentator doesn't?), but it's not like he's insulted anyone or anything. And if you don't like him, either choose the alternative commentary or just don't take as big a notice of what he's saying. I'm amazed people can focus on the race when they are taking note of every second word Legard is saying too. I mean, I'm listening to the commentators, but I'm more focused on what's happening in the race, not what he's saying.

I guess after two years of consistent whining about Legard here and elsewhere I'm just bored of this particular discussion, especially when there are alternative methods for those who seem so bothered by him. It seems like some people will never be happy, whoever the commentator is. "Urgh, Legard sucks", "Urgh, Coulthard will suck", "Urgh, Charlie Cox will suck", "Urgh, Ben Edwards will suck". Just STOP moaning for crying out loud! <_<

Anyway, some F1 news and there's reports around that Fernandes' team will run under the name of "1Malaysia F1 Team" but still use the green and yellow Lotus colours. Great news if true IMO.

Nobody doubts the difficulty of the task but that doesn't mean he should be exempt from criticism. Good commentary is entirely possible. Legard lacks understanding and tries too hard. Allen understood the sport but made too many errors. Those guys should develop their own styles instead of trying to imitate Murray Walker. Sure, you can switch but then you're missing Brundle, who is as good as they come.

The commentary is fairly integral to the experience so it's not asking a lot that they provide two decent people commentating. It really is the BBC's weakest point in an otherwise high level of production quality.

Eurosport's MotoGP coverage is to me what good commentary should be; it's like two guys who love bike racing having a chat in a pub, calling it as they see it.

No, you're right, it shouldn't be exempt from criticism, but I guess the same criticism for 19 weekends has rather started to grate on my nerves more than a little. I don't even think some of the criticism is that fair. I mean like I said earlier, every commentator has repetitive phrases. Brundle has them. Cox has them. Edwards has them.

Shouldn't we be thankful we had great coverage to see this brilliant year? Only it wasn't ages ago that people had to put up with seeing 30 minute highlights at some awkward hour about a week after the race even happened. Commentary wasn't people's main worry back then.

Legard would be OK if, and it's a huge if for him, as I don't think he would understand it, but if he were to SHUT THE **** UP for ten seconds every thirty seconds or so and let the world hear the cars. I'm beginning to think F1 cars sound like "Extroooooooooooooooodinary!!!!!"

Regards, HRT sponsor...seems it might be Santander?!?!?!?! About time Alonso raced for HRT.... :P

Nobody doubts the difficulty of the task but that doesn't mean he should be exempt from criticism. Good commentary is entirely possible. Legard lacks understanding and tries too hard. Allen understood the sport but made too many errors. Those guys should develop their own styles instead of trying to imitate Murray Walker. Sure, you can switch but then you're missing Brundle, who is as good as they come.

The commentary is fairly integral to the experience so it's not asking a lot that they provide two decent people commentating. It really is the BBC's weakest point in an otherwise high level of production quality.

Eurosport's MotoGP coverage is to me what good commentary should be; it's like two guys who love bike racing having a chat in a pub, calling it as they see it.

2nd weakest point after Legard is the TV graphics....the list of drivers is placed to suit an old skool 4:3 TV set like they have kicking around all the offices at the 'beeb. Those of us out in modern-land have widescreens, where we would prefer the graphics not to cover half of the cars when they don't have too.

And my other bug bear, is where the feck is the split screen action? Those wally Aussies have worked it out for Super V8's, and the rednecks have worked it out for NASCAR (Sh#te, they even have FOUR splits for the pitstops). Even us sheep shaggers have worked it out for our sports.....

I think it's entirely logical for MB to move into the lead role. He's had enough practice at it now. If a team doesn't gel, then it makes sense to to change it while keeping the bit that works. Not sure DC is the right man, though.

Regards, HRT sponsor...seems it might be Santander?!?!?!?! About time Alonso raced for HRT.... :P

I can say the Santander/HRT thing is 100% not real. It was a joke posted on a Spanish site on their equivalent of April Fool's day, and the copy and paste journos of today just blew it out of proportion

A little bird tells me that Sir Frank Williams is smiling at least three times a day now. There is a real buzz at Grove about the FW33 with it's radical design and new battery-powered KERS system. Many observers thought Head was just talking the new car up but people I know say there is genuine optimism about their 2011 chances. Let's hope so. At least, we know they won't be overspending!

If he's up to three times a day it must be very good indeed. That's cheered me up no end.