Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Insider

Today In F1

Just checked - Massa's 9/4 for a top three slot. So you have to stick £50 on to cover your £100.

If Massa ended 2nd or 3rd, you'd make £12.50 overall.

Even less worth it than at 4:1 :(

EDIT - So I did some more odds checking and here's a quick look at what I might do...

i) £120 on Vettel to be in the top 3 at 4/7

ii) £50 on Alonso to win the WDC at 3:1

iii) £10 on Algiosaurus to be in top 3 at 100:1 Tiny chance of this, but I have myself covered well with the first 2 bets.

(i) only = profit of £9

(ii) only = profit of £20

(i) and (ii) = profit of £208

(iii) and anything else = sweet :clap3:

nothing at all = loss of £170 :(

Even better - this bet should also allow me another £10 punt on something mid season.

I'm gonna stick to horses. Betting on them is easier too.

Just checked - Massa's 9/4 for a top three slot. So you have to stick £50 on to cover your £100.

If Massa ended 2nd or 3rd, you'd make £12.50 overall.

Well, that was my point initialli about the odds when I said you risk £1, you can win £30, you risk £7.5 you can win £30. Now it's quite worse, you risk £12.50 you can win £30. I admit my example about Massa top 3 as a solid cover bet isn't real, only if you are an insider and you know that Massa is doing better than Alonso in pre-season testing I would consider it as solid. In that case, it would make sense to bet some money on Massa for the win.

In my small world of betting I would bet maybe £50 on Massa WDC only because I might win £1,500, ah the odds again. Then I would bet some little money on Alonso for enjoyment, to have a little extra interest on the Championship. I might bet some money during the season too for the same reason.

If I were a professional gambler, I think I would never bet on F1. A combined bet on both Vettel and Alonso top3 can be consider as solid bet?

I'm gonna stick to horses. Betting on them is easier too.

I agree, I've never bet on horses though. I have only bet on football, tennis and greyhounds.

Oh, and F1 too. :(

Journalist: If you had to bet one million euros for a champion for this year, who would it be?

F. Alonso: I wouldn’t bet. I would bet in another sport which is easier than Formula 1.

I admit my example about Massa top 3 as a solid cover bet isn't real, only if you are an insider and you know that Massa is doing better than Alonso in pre-season testing I would consider it as solid. In that case, it would make sense to bet some money on Massa for the win.

Yeppers - betting anything on Massa isn't a good bet for me right now - not even as a long shot. Perhaps if he's 2nd or 3rd going in to the last 6 races.

In my small world of betting I would bet maybe £50 on Massa WDC only because I might win £1,500, ah the odds again. Then I would bet some little money on Alonso for enjoyment, to have a little extra interest on the Championship. I might bet some money during the season too for the same reason.

That's why you shouldn't let the odds (or your heart) dictate what you bet on.

This is what I meant when I said (to paraphrase more kindly) "odds are a tool to fool people into having more confidence in long shots".

A housemate of mine at university knew how to bet. He would only bet about 4 or 5 times a year. FA cup early rounds especially. He won money EVERY time. Sometimes just £5 sometimes £500.

He always judged for himself the chances of a bet coming off. He only used the odds to calculate how much he should bet on each match and whether or not it was worth doing so.

If I were a professional gambler, I think I would never bet on F1. A combined bet on both Vettel and Alonso top3 can be consider as solid bet?

True - F1 is a tricky one to bet on, but with some proper thought it can be done properly.

Saying that, footy suits me better.

Nothing new. The benchmark for the tyres has been far from perfect. Both the car and the drivers left much to be desired. Even that, I think the season will be thrilling and the tyres won't be a problem. Maybe some unpredictability in the firs few races, that's all.

Nothing new. The benchmark for the tyres has been far from perfect. Both the car and the drivers left much to be desired. Even that, I think the season will be thrilling and the tyres won't be a problem. Maybe some unpredictability in the firs few races, that's all.

they will all probably after first two free practises know what sort of tyres is best to start the race with. most of the teams will adopt same strategy, probably super-soft for the first 12-15 laps. those on grid that are positioned from 11th place towards the end of the grid can choose on which tyres will start but in that 12-15 laps will not be able to realize their tyre advantage in overtaking because ,altough they can use adjustable rear wing, if any driver choose to defend their position aggressively it will not help them much

It amazes me the sense of humour of some forum members. A simple joke from time to time is ok, when people can't write Alonso if not followed by an insult then there's a problem.

All drivers get a bit of stick. Alonso, as someone who has admitted to spying, been convicted of cheating, has been involved in numerous suspicious incidents throughout his career, talks a load of crap, has a mountain sized ego, is the most controversial driver on the grid by far, and for some odd reason is touted by his fans as the best on the grid will get attacked more than other drivers. There is nothing unnatural about this. Everything he does is controversial.

And this was all before he moved to Ferrari, and started doing exactly what Alonso fans used to gleefully attack Schumacher for. And according to his fans, now it's all ok because it's Alonso doing it.

Alonso gets off too easy. He should get roasted by F1 fans, on forums, and by the press and be made to answer tough questions about every single unsavoury incident he has been involved in so we can learn the truth. There is nothing about the man that deserves any sympathy.

All drivers get a bit of stick. Alonso, as someone who has admitted to spying, been convicted of cheating, has been involved in numerous suspicious incidents throughout his career, talks a load of crap, has a mountain sized ego, is the most controversial driver on the grid by far, and for some odd reason is touted by his fans as the best on the grid will get attacked more than other drivers. There is nothing unnatural about this. Everything he does is controversial.

And this was all before he moved to Ferrari, and started doing exactly what Alonso fans used to gleefully attack Schumacher for. And according to his fans, now it's all ok because it's Alonso doing it.

Alonso gets off too easy. He should get roasted by F1 fans, on forums, and by the press and be made to answer tough questions about every single unsavoury incident he has been involved in so we can learn the truth. There is nothing about the man that deserves any sympathy.

Spying, it was McLaren who did it.

Been convicted of cheating... Convicted? TBH, I don't remember such thing. He's been penalised like many others, sometimes the FIA was right, sometimes wrong. Only my opinion.

Suspicious incidents that I'm able to recall at the moment was only the crash-gate, thoroughly discussed on these forums. The case was reported and Alonso didn't know about Piquet crashing and that's what matters.

Talks a lot of crap, maybe. It's your opinion. Not that others don't do it, not that others that don't do it at the moment haven't done it in the past. We have a clear example this season with the new tyres. Whatever Alonso says about the tyres it's moaning, it's crap, he's a cry baby... Others can speak themselves about the tyres and it's considered very important and interesting because their aim is to improve the show.

Has a mountain sized ego, yes. What's the problem with that? They all have it. They all will have it.

Is the most controversial driver of the grid, yes. Why? Maybe because he's 2xWDC and have been able to fight for the win up to the last race 2 other seasons. Maybe because he's a succesful driver. I mean, nobody cares about Trulli or Heidfeld, the worst thing you can hear about them is Trulli Train or Nearly Heidfeld.

He's one of the best drivers on the grid. It's a fact. The best, the second best... It's just an opinion. You could prosecute equally Hamilton fans or Vettel fans or Raikkonen fans or...

I agree there's nothing unnatural, you have to wonder about our nature, but everything he does is controversial is not true. It's your opinion, a terribly biased opinion. I don't feel responsible neither for Alonso nor for his fans, but in these forums the couple of resident Alonso fans, Andrés and me, are much more objective and less hypocritical than those prosecuting every single Alonso babble.

A reply to your last paragraph would be beyond the scope of my sympathy towards Alonso and my interest in Formula One.

YEAH RIGHT!!!

Spying, it was McLaren who did it.

Been convicted of cheating... Convicted? TBH, I don't remember such thing. He's been penalised like many others, sometimes the FIA was right, sometimes wrong. Only my opinion.

Suspicious incidents that I'm able to recall at the moment was only the crash-gate, thoroughly discussed on these forums. The case was reported and Alonso didn't know about Piquet crashing and that's what matters.

Talks a lot of crap, maybe. It's your opinion. Not that others don't do it, not that others that don't do it at the moment haven't done it in the past. We have a clear example this season with the new tyres. Whatever Alonso says about the tyres it's moaning, it's crap, he's a cry baby... Others can speak themselves about the tyres and it's considered very important and interesting because their aim is to improve the show.

Has a mountain sized ego, yes. What's the problem with that? They all have it. They all will have it.

Is the most controversial driver of the grid, yes. Why? Maybe because he's 2xWDC and have been able to fight for the win up to the last race 2 other seasons. Maybe because he's a succesful driver. I mean, nobody cares about Trulli or Heidfeld, the worst thing you can hear about them is Trulli Train or Nearly Heidfeld.

He's one of the best drivers on the grid. It's a fact. The best, the second best... It's just an opinion. You could prosecute equally Hamilton fans or Vettel fans or Raikkonen fans or...

I agree there's nothing unnatural, you have to wonder about our nature, but everything he does is controversial is not true. It's your opinion, a terribly biased opinion. I don't feel responsible neither for Alonso nor for his fans, but in these forums the couple of resident Alonso fans, Andrés and me, are much more objective and less hypocritical than those prosecuting every single Alonso babble.

A reply to your last paragraph would be beyond the scope of my sympathy towards Alonso and my interest in Formula One.

A nice rebuttal.

Limelight, hunger for results and success; things that will mean that controversy and the eyes of the world are always your shadows.

TBH I find the constant rehashing of the same tired Alonso critisisms and the constant complaints about people rehashing the same tired Alonso critisisms equally boring.

Peope who don't like our eyebrowed friend - find something new on the subject - it's all been said countless times - it got dull somewhere around 1985.

People who like Alonso - stop whinging so much about people bashing him. Crying victimhood doesn't suit a two time world champion or his followers. Get over it.

Hurrumph.

*exits room before others tell me how annoying it is of me to get annoyed at other people's annoyance*

EDIT

Limelight, hunger for results and success; things that will mean that controversy and the eyes of the world are always your shadows.

I'm even getting annoyed by this comment now. Why? Not because it isn't entirely reasonable. It's well balanced, objective and I agree with it 100%. It's not the comment that annoys. It's the fact that Dribs, Andres, Monza, George and the other 'reasonable' forum members have had to write it (or something similar) countless times before and it never makes any difference.

Double Hurrumph.

*adopts sulky face*

TBH I find the constant rehashing of the same tired Alonso critisisms and the constant complaints about people rehashing the same tired Alonso critisisms equally boring.

Peope who don't like our eyebrowed friend - find something new on the subject - it's all been said countless times - it got dull somewhere around 1985.

People who like Alonso - stop whinging so much about people bashing him. Crying victimhood doesn't suit a two time world champion or his followers. Get over it.

Hurrumph.

*exits room before others tell me how annoying it is of me to get annoyed at other people's annoyance*

EDIT

I'm even getting annoyed by this comment now. Why? Not because it isn't entirely reasonable. It's well balanced, objective and I agree with it 100%. It's not the comment that annoys. It's the fact that Dribs, Andres, Monza, George and the other 'reasonable' forum members have had to write it (or something similar) countless times before and it never makes any difference.

Double Hurrumph.

*adopts sulky face*

Ah, I'm unreasonable because I'm not an Alonso fan... hey, who's with me fellas!!!!!!

It only takes thirty seconds to metaphorically lead the crazy horses to water.

Did anybody mention my name?

Sorry, but I do not agree with any of you. My entire point is:

1) Bashing Alonso is OK either seriously or as a joke. If it serious and Ii find it unfair I will reply in the same way. If it is ssaid in a heated way I will probably reply as heated. If in tongue in cheek expect YOUR favorite driver to get the same treatment.

This is an F1 Forum, after all. People are entitled to have their opinions.

2) Bashing forum members is not that OK. When somebody says "Alonso fans are a bunch of idiots" or similar, unless it is something new in these forums, it's hard for me not too feel insulted. As such, expect me to react on a much personal level.

As simple as that.

Thank you, you whole bunch of idiots.

I'm an Andres fan - when people call him a twaface I don't care, because he is. A big fat twatface.

But when they say 'anyone who likes Andres is a big fat twatface' I start to cry and complain about how unfair the world is..... a lot.

"Alonso fans are a bunch of idiots"

A bunch? There's more than one?

I'm an Andres fan - when people call him a twaface I don't care, because he is. A big fat twatface.

But when they say 'anyone who likes Andres is a big fat twatface' I start to cry and complain about how unfair the world is..... a lot.

Easier to say that you in isolation, are a big fat twat face. That way, you don't have to be associated with the bald, singular fan of Mono-brow moaney pants.

Easier to say that you in isolation, are a big fat twat face. That way, you don't have to be associated with the bald, singular fan of Mono-brow moaney pants.

Why do you non-Andres fans always pick on us Andres fans?

Without the bald, singular fan of Mono-brow moaney pants I'm nothing. I define myself by him. He is my life and my identity rests solely on my fandom of my balding twatface hero.

Cal me a twatface if you want. I don't care. While at the same time I actually care an awful lot.

*throws rattle from pram and assumes yet to be equalled, level 9.3 sulky face*

Don't make me use the level 10.

Or do - at least it saves us talking about Alonso bashing, bashers and bashees.

A bunch? There's more than one?

more than one-less than nine, try to guess a number.

i will give you a clue :victory: