Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Insider

Today In F1

After spending the last two weeks in -16/20C temperatures and the heaviest Swedish December snowfall, [three metres!] since records began, the news is good news indeed. It would certainly be heart-warming to see a return to form for Williams and a swansong WDC from Rubens would hardly be unwelcome amongst the fans.

I think it's entirely logical for MB to move into the lead role. He's had enough practice at it now. If a team doesn't gel, then it makes sense to to change it while keeping the bit that works. Not sure DC is the right man, though.

Is there a source for these rumours?

Regards, HRT sponsor...seems it might be Santander?!?!?!?! About time Alonso raced for HRT.... :P

HRT? Haemorrhoid Retraction Therapy?

After spending the last two weeks in -16/20C temperatures and the heaviest Swedish December snowfall, [three metres!] since records began, the news is good news indeed. It would certainly be heart-warming to see a return to form for Williams and a swansong WDC from Rubens would hardly be unwelcome amongst the fans.

How goes the tour?

BTW, if you have a look at Legard's twitter page he appears to be signing off, and the Beeb have now announced Brundle/Coulthard as the new commentary team.

How goes the tour?

BTW, if you have a look at Legard's twitter page he appears to be signing off, and the Beeb have now announced Brundle/Coulthard as the new commentary team.

S'trodinary! There he goes, up the hill, and, and, and. Straight into retirement! What do you think of that Martin?

Thank fack. :P

My prediction of what people's reaction will be to the new line-up.

Race 1: Yes! Man, this coverage is great now Legard isn't here.

Race 2: It was alright I suppose.

Race 3: Meh.

Race 4: OMFG why did they choose this line up?!

Race 5: Coulthard out!!!!!111111

Race 6: Stop the Scot campaigns...

Etc.

How goes the tour?

Tour was great...more dates next month. Legard was a dinosaur. Glad to see the change.

The Hysterical Racing Team, [hrT] are threatening to sue the highly likeable Mr Chandok and blame the shortfall in his 2010 buy drive fees for the lack of development to their hysterical car last season. They have also left FOTA, claiming that is was 'nonsense for such a small team to be involved in it's [FOTA] internal politics'. Of course, we all know that the real reason for their withdrawal lay with an unpaid €100,000 membership fee. They seemingly haven't a coin! It seems to me, that HRT are just another USF1 that somehow managed to slip through the net. Prodrive must be laughing in their boots.

Just heard that Chris Dyer's replacement, ex-Red Bull strategist, Neil Martin will NOT attend races but operate from the team's Maranello base instead. Will he have LDM shadowing him? I've heard some nonsense in my time but..................

Well the McLaren boys have a Woking nerve centre on the race weekend...so why not Ferrari?

The Hysterical Racing Team, [hrT] are threatening to sue the highly likeable Mr Chandok and blame the shortfall in his 2010 buy drive fees for the lack of development to their hysterical car last season. They have also left FOTA, claiming that is was 'nonsense for such a small team to be involved in it's [FOTA] internal politics'. Of course, we all know that the real reason for their withdrawal lay with an unpaid €100,000 membership fee. They seemingly haven't a coin! It seems to me, that HRT are just another USF1 that somehow managed to slip through the net. Prodrive must be laughing in their boots.

Well isn't it obvious? It's Karun's fault they couldn't pay to play with FOTA.....

FIA were idiots to have the last minute (unwritten more like) rule that the new teams had to use Cosworth engines....Prodrive was a much more viable possibility, as was Lola. Goes to show that statement of accounts can be manipulated to say anything you want. In one respect, at least Bernies high joining fee kept the dreamers out. But that's not to say that we don't need Lotus or Virgin...at least they seem organised, and have a plan....HRT just seems to stumble from race to race.

Well the McLaren boys have a Woking nerve centre on the race weekend...so why not Ferrari?

of course, that is true but the real time decisions are made on the wall and in my book there is no substitute for that.

So Kimi launches his own ICE1 rally team and FOTA investigate the alleged Red Bull overspend. Predictably, HRT are to use their 2010 chassis at the first test. It's all happening.

Red Bull overspent because they had to keep coughing up bills to Citroen to fix Raikkonen's rally car. :P

And what power does FOTA have if they find Red Bull to be guilty? Kick them out of FOTA? However will they cope being absent from an utterly useless, powerless body?

There was one agreed by the teams, not bby FIA

I know. Not like the other teams can do anything about it though.

And what power does FOTA have if they find Red Bull to be guilty? Kick them out of FOTA? However will they cope being absent from an utterly useless, powerless body?

1 None

2 Maybe

3 Most likely

A British friend that still bothers to read the English F1 press was telling me today how the amount of information missing keeps increasing. Since I stopped reading the English F1 press a while back, I did so today to check for myself. He is right on all accounts. There are at least a half a dozen news reported in what you folk call the "foreign" press that do not appear anywhere on the English press. You guys are not getting 35% of the picture.

It's a blessing you guys have people telling what to think. Of course, you cannot be blamed for your linguistic ignorance (well, actually, you can) but it is amusing either way.

So, yes, yes, let's lynch RBR. They might just upset the next season's script and win again... allowing illegal and dangerous technical "developments" while arbitrarily deciding who drops 10 gird spots and who gets a "reprimand" seem not to be sufficient anymore...

1 None

2 Maybe

3 Most likely

They will have to trim this year's budget accordingly. That is the agreed 'punishment' under FOTA's articles of membership. I'd hardly say they were powerless. The 'power' is in their own code of practice agreed by all members.

But it's not like you lose points from the championship....and they have no power in stopping them from overspending in the first place, or the future. All these gentlemanly agreements over stuff like money is a nonsense....every single team will shuffle accounts around, or just take the mickey out of it and do what they want. The only thing that has power in F1 is FIA, which is why no one does extra tests (film sessions apart of course), because they have the power to fine, deduct points or exclude.

FOTA has a purpose, but it should only look at the team side of things in the same vein as the GPDA does for the drivers...in other words, safety, track facilities and the like. And have a mouth piece of course for the political side of the sport, otherwise FIA will run roughshod over the teams.

When it comes to technical stuff, then agreements can be made and held, as everyone can see if you have a KERS or not in your car, or an (voda)F(one)-duct. But behind that, the administration of each team should only be handled by that team, not the others. If you want to spend quarter of a billion on your cars, then so be it. It's no guarantee of success..just ask Toyota.

But it's not like you lose points from the championship....and they have no power in stopping them from overspending in the first place, or the future. All these gentlemanly agreements over stuff like money is a nonsense....every single team will shuffle accounts around, or just take the mickey out of it and do what they want. The only thing that has power in F1 is FIA, which is why no one does extra tests (film sessions apart of course), because they have the power to fine, deduct points or exclude.

FOTA has a purpose, but it should only look at the team side of things in the same vein as the GPDA does for the drivers...in other words, safety, track facilities and the like. And have a mouth piece of course for the political side of the sport, otherwise FIA will run roughshod over the teams.

When it comes to technical stuff, then agreements can be made and held, as everyone can see if you have a KERS or not in your car, or an (voda)F(one)-duct. But behind that, the administration of each team should only be handled by that team, not the others. If you want to spend quarter of a billion on your cars, then so be it. It's no guarantee of success..just ask Toyota.

As with every power (a lesson that most people, sadly, forgets), FOTA's power is as much as the memebers gave to it. In this case (the RRA) it is pretty big. They all agreed on a set of rules (yeah, including RBR) and they agreed that any overspending would be deducted from next year's spending quote. They also agreed on giving FOTA's enough power to audit evereybody for overspending. So, in this case, FOTA is quite powerful. What's the worsee they can do? Expel RBR from FOTA? Ohhh look, I'm trembling!

You better be, because the same reasons that made you sign up for FOTA are the ones that should make you not want to be expelled from it. PR wise would be a disaster. Having every other team (except HRT) under an association that you no longer belong to is bad.

And, above all, for the same reasons Germany was a disaster for Ferrari. It doesn't matter whether you can be punished enough or not, or whether objectively your move is that bad or not. You accepted a set of rules then broke it. Ask Ferrari how good it was for them the Hockenheim affair. And that was one race, and no perecivable gain for Ferrari. Being called a WCC and WDC because you cheated after being the Holy Inquisitors of fair play will certainly make you look like something your Austrian energy drinking bosses will not be happy about.

As with every power (a lesson that most people, sadly, forgets), FOTA's power is as much as the memebers gave to it. In this case (the RRA) it is pretty big. They all agreed on a set of rules (yeah, including RBR) and they agreed that any overspending would be deducted from next year's spending quote. They also agreed on giving FOTA's enough power to audit evereybody for overspending. So, in this case, FOTA is quite powerful. What's the worsee they can do? Expel RBR from FOTA? Ohhh look, I'm trembling!

You better be, because the same reasons that made you sign up for FOTA are the ones that should make you not want to be expelled from it. PR wise would be a disaster. Having every other team (except HRT) under an association that you no longer belong to is bad.

And, above all, for the same reasons Germany was a disaster for Ferrari. It doesn't matter whether you can be punished enough or not, or whether objectively your move is that bad or not. You accepted a set of rules then broke it. Ask Ferrari how good it was for them the Hockenheim affair. And that was one race, and no perecivable gain for Ferrari. Being called a WCC and WDC because you cheated after being the Holy Inquisitors of fair play will certainly make you look like something your Austrian energy drinking bosses will not be happy about.

I don't think the PR would be that bad, honestly. The majority of fans aren't like the people here; they don't understand the situation entirely and therefore just don't care about it. Besides, the main sponsor is Red Bull...they aren't going to stop sponsoring their own team over a little PR (since they've had bad PR in NASCAR over lawsuits and their driver having problems with blood clots right after research about Red Bull causing blood clots came out, IndyCar over having their team run by Eddie Cheever and how he treated Tomas Scheckter who had a thing for prostitutes, and then there's the non-racing bad PR that's the worst of all as it threatens their product from being marketed/sold/etc). A blatant case of cheating will hurt (like fixing a race through a planned crash), but something that fans can't see under rules most fans didn't even know existed for an organization most fans can't understand won't do anything.

Likewise, I don't think Germany was a disaster for Ferrari at all. Still the most popular team, still with all the sponsors they had at Germany supporting the team. There were no consequences.