Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jean Todt

Hungary Qualy &Amp; Race Thread...

Bad luck for Felipe. Weird, how that black thingy hit him on the head with precision. And further, the impact must have tremendous to knock out a man wearing a helmet. Anyway, given that he moved his arms while being on the stretcher, I expect him to be alright & come out swinging tomorrow.

Surprising show by Reno & Macca. Ferrari on the other hand sorely lack in quali pace, it seems. And Jenson must be now starting to feel the WDC slipping out of his hands...like sand emptying itself from a clenched fist.

Massa was extremely lucky it didn't come through the visor...

It could have been fatal, easily.

They build them helmets strong these days don't they? Congrats Alonso, been a while since I've seen that chin with legs on pole.

Massa was extremely lucky it didn't come through the visor...

It could have been fatal, easily.

Yeah, that put things into perspective. A little bit of bad luck, but still fortunate to be alive.

Maybe just a cut or a fracture of the bone under the brow. Looks uncertain to race tomorrow if he can't keep his eye open. If he is cleared after the concussion that is.

There is no way he is driving tomorrow, Kubi didn't get to drive a week after Canada and I would say both of those accidents are on the same scale if not Massa was worse.

Good thing for helmet development. They once did a test with one of Shumi's helmets where they drive over it with a German Leopard 2 tank and it didn't even deform, now we know why we need those types of helmets.

No wonder Massa blacked out.

Source: http://www.totalf1.com/full_story/view/314438/Massa_suffers_skull_damage_concussion/

Massa suffers skull damage, concussion

By Pablo Elizalde Saturday, July 25th 2009, 15:55 GMT

Felipe Massa will need to undergo surgery after it emerged he has suffered bone damage of his skull and a brain concussion in his accident at the Hungarian Grand Prix.

The Brazilian will be forced to miss the race after he was hit in the head by debris believed to belong to Rubens Barrichello's car.

Massa was airlifted to a Budapest hospital, where he remains in stable condition.

Ferrari said in a statement that Massa will need to undergo surgery and will have to stay under observation in intensive care for an undisclosed period of time.

"After the accident during the qualifying session of the Grand Prix of Hungary, Felipe Massa was airlifted to the AEK hospital in Budapest," the statement said. "Felipe was conscious at the arrival at the hospital and his general conditions remain stable.

"Following a complete medical examination it emerged that he had suffered a cut on his forehead, a bone damage of his skull and a brain concussion. These conditions need to be operated on after which he will remain under observation in intensive care."

The team said further information will be released later tonight.

Massa will miss a race and he is not fighting for the Championship. He alive is the best piece of news out of this F1 weekend.

He'll be fine pretty soon I expect.

Massa will miss a race and he is not fighting for the Championship. He alive is the best piece of news out of this F1 weekend.

He'll be fine pretty soon I expect.

My sentiments exactly. From a racing point of view, power to Nando. He is by far the best driver in F1 right now. I personally hope that Hamilton and Kovi get past the Bulls at the off and that Ross was clever enough to fuel JB heavy, knowing he would only get one flying lap in after a long safety check.

My sentiments exactly. From a racing point of view, power to Nando. He is by far the best driver in F1 right now. I personally hope that Hamilton and Kovi get past the Bulls at the off and that Ross was clever enough to fuel JB heavy, knowing he would only get one flying lap in after a long safety check.

Hey Sid, you seem to have gone silent for the past few weeeks,

I demand you post the fuel loads soon.

Source: http://www.totalf1.c...age_concussion/

Massa suffers skull damage, concussion

By Pablo Elizalde Saturday, July 25th 2009, 15:55 GMT

Felipe Massa will need to undergo surgery after it emerged he has suffered bone damage of his skull and a brain concussion in his accident at the Hungarian Grand Prix.

The Brazilian will be forced to miss the race after he was hit in the head by debris believed to belong to Rubens Barrichello's car.

Massa was airlifted to a Budapest hospital, where he remains in stable condition.

Ferrari said in a statement that Massa will need to undergo surgery and will have to stay under observation in intensive care for an undisclosed period of time.

"After the accident during the qualifying session of the Grand Prix of Hungary, Felipe Massa was airlifted to the AEK hospital in Budapest," the statement said. "Felipe was conscious at the arrival at the hospital and his general conditions remain stable.

"Following a complete medical examination it emerged that he had suffered a cut on his forehead, a bone damage of his skull and a brain concussion. These conditions need to be operated on after which he will remain under observation in intensive care."

The team said further information will be released later tonight.

Just read in BBC, not only is he lucky to be alive, but also lucky he was not disabled by the incident.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8168807.stm

Felipe Massa is to undergo surgery after suffering skull damage and concussion in a high-speed accident during Hungarian Grand Prix qualifying.

The Ferrari driver, 28, slammed head on into a tyre wall after a piece of debris that had fallen off Rubens Barrichello's Brawn car hit his helmet.

Ferrari said his condition upon arrival at a Budapest hospital was "stable" and that the Brazilian was conscious.

He will remain "under observation in intensive care" after the operation.

The incident comes less than a week after Henry Surtees, 18, was killed in what was described as a "freak" accident during a Formula Two race at Brands Hatch.

The son of motorsport legend John Surtees was struck by a wheel which flew off a competitor's car.

o.gifThere is no coincidence on this and something needs to be looked at <br clear="all"> Brawn driver Rubens Barrichello Massa - winner of 11 grands prix in his career - did manage to briefly apply the brakes as went off the Hungaroring track before his car hit the tyre wall at around 125mph.

The incident was caused by a spring that had seconds earlier fallen off the rear suspension of Barrichello's car and subsequently flew up and hit Massa's helmet just above his left eye causing considerable impact.

Massa was swiftly attended to by trackside medics before being taken to the circuit's medical centre after which he was airlifted to hospital for further examination.

Referring to Surtees, Barrichello refused to believe the two incidents were coincidence and called for further improvements in motorsport safety to be made despite the significant progress since Ayrton Senna's death in 1994.

"I honestly don't believe in coincidences in life," he said. "Things happen for a reason and I think this is the second message.

"Imola [where Senna died] was a message and the cars were improved. Unfortunately, we lost a boy [surtees], which is tremendously sad.

"It is not a coincidence something happened right now. In the GPDA (Grand Prix Drivers' Association) we talked quite a lot about it yesterday - and something needs to be done. Absolutely.

"But I don't know what. We need to sit down and have a look at it. I think the cars are a hell of a lot safer, really a lot safer, but there is no coincidence on this and something needs to be looked at."

Barrichello's team boss Ross Brawn said the team were "naturally concerned" about Massa's condition.

"We had a problem with the back of the car and we are still investigating," he added.

"We haven't had the piece back from [motorsport governing body] the FIA yet so once we get it back we can understand what occurred.

"It's the first time we've really had a problem with the car as it's been so reliable."

Brazilians not having a good day in motorsport! A Brazilian team racing @ Spa 24 Hours with a Vette had a huge crash @ Eau Rouge! The driver seemed OK but the damage was unbelievable, almost nothing left of the rear end! Pity cos it was fighting for the overall lead!

Car Weights:

Pos. Driver Team Car weight (kg)

1. Alonso Renault F1 637.5

2. Vettel Red Bull-Renault 655.0

3. Webber Red Bull-Renault 652.0

4. Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes 650.5

5. Rosberg Williams-Toyota 654.0

6. Kovalainen McLaren-Mercedes 655.5

7. Raikkonen Ferrari 651.5

8. Button Brawn-Mercedes 664.5

9. Nakajima Williams-Toyota 658.0

10. Massa Ferrari

11. Buemi Toro Rosso-Ferrari 671.5

12. Trulli Toyota 671.3

13. Barrichello Brawn-Mercedes 689.0

14. Glock Toyota 679.2

15. Piquet Renault F1 667.7

16. Heidfeld BMW Sauber 658.0

17. Fisichella Force India-Mercedes 680.5

18. Sutil Force India-Mercedes 683.5

19. Kubica BMW Sauber 666.0

20. Alguersuari Toro Rosso-Ferrari 675.5

Alonso was on fumes. Let's see what he can do with that. I have faith in his magic :D. All he needs to do is stay clear from Takuma Hamilton until he can clear turn 1. AFterwards, he will need some really good times to fight for a podium.

So sad to hear about the Brazilian civil war. For once, I can understand Barrichello being really upset, the guy still has a trauma from that black Imola GP. ANd now this.

Funniest moment of Qualy:

The session ended, cars came in and all the drivers looked around at each other in parc ferme, asking each other what time they had done. "I did a 21.5" Alonso said to Button, "flipping heck," said JB, "I did a 22.5". "I did a 21.8" Lewis told Fernando as he tried to find someone with a better time.

Hey Sid, you seem to have gone silent for the past few weeeks,

I demand you post the fuel loads soon.

Working on a new CD. Fuel weights? Right.

Pos Driver Weight (kg)

1. Alonso Renault 637.5

2. Vettel Red Bull-Renault 655.0

3. Webber Red Bull-Renault 652.0

4. Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes 650.5

5. Rosberg Williams-Toyota 654.0

6. Kovalainen McLaren-Mercedes 655.5

7. Raikkonen Ferrari 651.5

8. Button Brawn-Mercedes 664.5

9. Nakajima Williams-Toyota 658.0

10. Massa Ferrari

11. Buemi Toro Rosso-Ferrari 671.5

12. Trulli Toyota 671.3

13. Barrichello Brawn-Mercedes 689.0

14. Glock Toyota 679.2

15. Piquet Renault 667.7

16. Heidfeld BMW-Sauber 658.0

17. Fisichella Force India-Mercedes 680.5

18. Sutil Force India-Mercedes 683.5

19. Kubica BMW-Sauber 666.0

20. Alguersuari Toro Rosso-Ferrari 675.5

JB heaviest of the top ten. Good chance of points, I think. Rubens carrying enough to get him home to Brazil! Alonso clearly a glory run and if Hamilton and Kovi can overhaul the Bulls off the line , damage to Jenson's WDC chances should be slight. Biggest worry is track temp. I hope it's 40+! Vettel will be whining about his bum, Webber will be skating and Hambone will be ploughing! JB will be on rails boy! Well, we can all dream!

Get well soon, Felipe - nasty bump.

I knew Nando was on fumes, which is why I was so impatient for seeing the car weights.

Whats it with Renault, can't they they just give the two drivers the similar strategy?

We did see Nelson out qualify Nando initially....then they put Nando on fumes, and Nelson heavy and make Nelson look much slower than he is. Totally unfair,

When Nelson is sacked as rumoured, we will get to hear some real inside story on his treatment. I am sure Renault is the last team a driver will want to go with Nando still there.

I got nothing against Nando or his fans, but its the Sh#t politics....

I knew Nando was on fumes, which is why I was so impatient for seeing the car weights.

Whats it with Renault, can't they they just give the two drivers the similar strategy?

We did see Nelson out qualify Nando initially....then they put Nando on fumes, and Nelson heavy and make Nelson look much slower than he is. Totally unfair,

When Nelson is sacked as rumoured, we will get to hear some real inside story on his treatment. I am sure Renault is the last team a driver will want to go with Nando still there.

Yeah...right...politics. This has nothing to do with Piquet's skills :P

Q2, same strategy and fuel load for both. Alonso got Q3 ticket while Piquet got bye bye ticket. Politics?

As you wish.

Yeah...right...politics. This has nothing to do with Piquet's skills :P

Read my post again, I have not praised Piquet's skill either,

This qualifying crap has been going on for almost all the races I have seen.

Reno is the new Ferrari.

Read my post again, I have not praised Piquet's skill either,

This qualifying crap has been going on for almost all the races I have seen.

Reno is the new Ferrari.

:lol: You are kidding, right?

:lol: You are kidding, right?

Nope I am not.....

meanwhile, we are getting some worriying news...

Felipe Massa has been described as being in a "serious, life-threatening but stable" condition by the doctors who carried out emergency surgery on his fractured skull.

Massa underwent surgery on Saturday night after being hurt in a high-speed crash during qualifying for the Hungarian GP.

According to the Associated Press, 'Officials at the AEK military hospital said that Massa will be kept sedated on a respirator in an intensive care unit.

'Medical director Peter Bazso said at a news conference that "Massa's condition is serious, life-threatening but stable."

'Bazso and chief surgeon Lajos Zsiros say they expect Massa to be awoken Sunday.'

The Brazilian was injured after being hit by a piece of debris that is believed to have fallen off the rear of Rubens Barrichello's Brawn.

In a short statement released on Saturday night after Massa underwent surgery, Ferrari announced that the 'Outcome of the procedure was positive' and that their driver would remain in observation in intensive care.

The team will release a further update on his condition on Sunday morning.

I hope he will start racing soon....