Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

whiskee

So Who Replaces Massa?

We can almost surely say that Massa will sit out several GP's, if not the whole season.

There's no more unlikely choice than Schumi. Firstly, he is barely fit to step in in three weeks time. Secondly, he keeps saying he's not interested and thirdly, he probably fears being slower than Kimi.. which is very likely particularly since Kimi knows the car much better. :P

Gene and Badoer are possibilities, but do they have the speed to score some points? Gene might.

If I was Luca, I'd call Bourdais tonight. He's fit and has easily the most racing experience, and I think he would perform better in a Ferrari and regain his motivation...

Or how about Takuma? :o

Just for Valencia, I would love to see Alonso on their car. Just to p**s everybody off.

Yeah, Niki Lauda and Takuma Sato are certainly possibilities I suppose. Bourdais would be a shock only slightly less than Lauda; Schumacher would make for an intriguing race and perhaps a twist to the second half of the season but if he's not close to optimal condition it would be a mistake, to put it kindly. Gene and Badoer are both capable reserve drivers but if Ferrari wants to make headlines they will need to go for an estabslihed name... and I don't mean J.V. I suppose if the Renault ban sticks for Valencia Alonso in a red car would make for tons of media coverage but I wouldn't hold my breath. Let's see what plays out (but it's too d**n bad we even have to think about this due to poor Massa's freakish accident).

Good thing about Lauda is that he already looks worse than Massa after the crash.

:lol:

Michael would be ridiculously out of touch with the fundamental characterisitics of the car. That's not to say he couldn't be fast though. He is still fit and has the ability to be highly adaptable, very quickly. I don't think it will come down to a question of 'could he?' but more one of 'does he want to?'. The only thing I cling to is that he thinks the world of Felipe and the team; it would be fitting for him to come out of retirement to help them, but not for personal glory reasons.

Interestingly, Willi Weber has said that he thinks it 'unlikely', but that doesn't sound like "I have spokent to Michael and he says no", to me.

Also, imagine how Gene and Badoer would feel on the sideline if Michael did want to substitute Felipe. Michael has deep respect for both; they did so much donkey work for him back in the day. It would hardly go down well.

No, as much as I would love to see it, I don't see Michael returning.

Just for Valencia, I would love to see Alonso on their car. Just to p**s everybody off.

That would not P**s everybody off but you can be sure that I would be more than P**s off.

:lol:

Michael would be ridiculously out of touch with the fundamental characterisitics of the car. That's not to say he couldn't be fast though. He is still fit and has the ability to be highly adaptable, very quickly. I don't think it will come down to a question of 'could he?' but more one of 'does he want to?'. The only thing I cling to is that he thinks the world of Felipe and the team; it would be fitting for him to come out of retirement to help them, but not for personal glory reasons.

Interestingly, Willi Weber has said that he thinks it 'unlikely', but that doesn't sound like "I have spokent to Michael and he says no", to me.

Also, imagine how Gene and Badoer would feel on the sideline if Michael did want to substitute Felipe. Michael has deep respect for both; they did so much donkey work for him back in the day. It would hardly go down well.

No, as much as I would love to see it, I don't see Michael returning.

I've heard that MS doesn't have his super license maintained anymore. Also, he hurt himself a few months ago in a motorcycle spill and has been taking it easy of late, his neck was particularly bothersome.

From the PR side, I don't think putting in a big name to replace Massa sends the right signal. If Massa left the team in the middle of an argument or something else tawdry like that, then I could see a big name and a lot of PR being the right move.

For now, keeping things low key and business-as-usual is probably Ferrari's desire.

Gene is the only choice really. Though I'd prefer it if they had a guest driver like HIGNFY. First up should be Boris Johnson.

Gene is the only choice really. Though I'd prefer it if they had a guest driver like HIGNFY. First up should be Boris Johnson.

Ferrari should be alterning their test drivers race by race like Mclaren (I think) did once.

Just for Valencia, I would love to see Alonso crash the car. Just to p**s somebody off.

They could do the sensible thing and put one of their test drivers in the car, or they could try out a young charger to see if they're any good.

What I'm sure they certainly won't do is put Schumi/Nando/Lauda in it.

My friend's cheering for Tonio Liuzzi ^^

I'd love to see Liuzzi or Bourdaise, but I think it will be one of their test drivers. They do have a problem, though - Massa was supposed to stay while Kimi was to go rallying. Now they are in a pickle. If Nando really has a 2010 or 2011 "understanding," then maybe Nando, but why would Renault release him in mid- season????Nah, it will be their test driver(s).

Oh, and now that Kati's secret love of JV is out, I begin to understand her hatred of Kubica and anything Polish, myself included.....

Jenson Button is the most realistic choice. He can take his points with him, arrest the slide, grab the WDC, give Ferrari the low numbers for their cars in 2010 and prime real estate in the pits. In return, Ross could ask for a sizeable fee to help line his coffers. The downside is BGP give up the Constructors' - but, they weren't expecting it anyway. Ferrari can discount their reservists - there not up to it, for one reason or another. They could take a flyer on Buemi or Jaime. Vettel's star is fading and RBR would fight like hell. Kubica is of the ilk but then they'll have both drivers off rallying! On the other hand, Renault are going to end up mid table at best and they may as well let Alonso go now.

Jenson Button is the most realistic choice. He can take his points with him, arrest the slide, grab the WDC, give Ferrari the low numbers for their cars in 2010 and prime real estate in the pits. In return, Ross could ask for a sizeable fee to help line his coffers. The downside is BGP give up the Constructors' - but, they weren't expecting it anyway. Ferrari can discount their reservists - there not up to it, for one reason or another. They could take a flyer on Buemi or Jaime. Vettel's star is fading and RBR would fight like hell. Kubica is of the ilk but then they'll have both drivers off rallying! On the other hand, Renault are going to end up mid table at best and they may as well let Alonso go now.

I love your thinking :)

Yeah, like I said it all rests on the state of the eye now it seems. Massa is lucky in that sense, his problems could be much worse than having impaired vision. Anyway, best to wait before making any conclusion.