Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ecapdeville

So Who Replaces Piquet?

Well... now seems that Piquet had a "verbal" fight vs Briatore... the news is that he might not be running the next race with renault (valencia or spa)...

who will replace him?

I wish webber could make a switch...even for next season.

hello everybody, I

Maasa. Better than Piquet, even with one eye.

One Robert Kubica.

Thats all I'll say.

Hang on...I used that line somewhere else....

now is when everyone wishes they would have gotten giorgio pantano when they could have done... cos he's pretty decent!

If they can't get anyone, my bet's on grosjean.... hulkenberg if they could get him, but doubtful

Won't be Hulkenburg...he'll have the other Nico's seat at Williams next year. Guess Nico's not off to Beamers anymore....2nd seat at Brawn would be a backwards step for Rosberg I think now, so maybe Rosberg to Renault or Maca's next year now for sure.

nico moving up :)

Thats Nico Rosberg moving up to McLaren????

You are being sooooooo cryptic :P

Have'nt seen you around ecap. Anywhay I'd say for the rest of the season Romain Grosjean should replace but for next year, I'd say Kovy will leave McMerc or maybe Schumi??

10 monkeys with typewriters,

No one can replace Piquet. For the simple reason that no drives as badly as him.

Great answers guys :lol:

what about JV?? he came back once before. Could be possible, as he said he wants to come back.

what about JV?? he came back once before. Could be possible, as he said he wants to come back.

JV came back and didn't really do all that well last time when he filled in for Jarno. Unless you have a driver like Michael to ask to come back its a much better idea to invest in the future and have young talent in the seat.

JV came back and didn't really do all that well last time when he filled in for Jarno. Unless you have a driver like Michael to ask to come back its a much better idea to invest in the future and have young talent in the seat.

Correct. If Renault and/or Flavio are serious about sticking around beyond this season they had better find a young hot shoe or they'll be sucking the exhaust fumes from Force India's cars in 2010.

Haha! So true.

It'll obviously be Grosjean though. Renault's basically in love with him. Not as much as they are in love with Alonso, but for sure they love him. I'll be interested to see how he does anyway, i think he's got bigger potential than Piquet did.

Well, who cares?!?

Schumacher is back!

Joking. But I believe Romain Grosjean is in line of succession. He will most certainly replace Piquet in Valencia.

Confirmed today, Piquet out. His list of excuses is quite long.

The full statement from Nelson Piquet

Monday, August 3rd 2009, 15:14 GMT

I have received notice from the Renault F1 team of its intention to stop me from driving for them in the current F1 season. I want to say thanks to the small group who supported me and that I worked together at Renault F1, although it is obviously with great disappointment that I receive such news. But, at the same time, I feel a sense of relief for the end of the worst period of my career, and the possibility that I can now move on and put my career back on the right track and try to recover my reputation of a fast, winning driver. I am a team player and there are dozens of people I have worked with in my career who would vouch for my character and talent, except unfortunately the person that has had the most influence on my career in Formula 1.

I started racing at the age of eight and have broken record after record. I won every championship I raced in go-karts. I was South American F3 champion, winning 14 races and getting 17 pole positions. In 2003 I went to England, with my own team, to compete in the British F3 championship. I was champion there as well, winning 12 races and getting 13 pole positions. In fact I was the youngest ever champion. I raced GP2 in 2005 and 2006, winning five races and scoring six pole positions. I had a great season in my second year, only missing out on the championship to Lewis Hamilton due to technical mistakes of our team, which I take as my own as well, including running out of fuel during a race. I set the record in GP2 for the first driver to have a perfect weekend, scoring the maximum points available, in Hungary 2006. No-one matched that until July 2009 when Nico Hulkenberg did in at Nurburgring.

The path to F1 was always going to be tricky, and my father and I therefore signed a management contract with Flavio Briatore, who we believed was an excellent option with all the necessary contacts and management skills. Unfortunately, that was when the black period of my career started. I spent one year as a test driver, where I only did a handful of tests, and the next year started as a race driver with Renault. After the opening part of the season, some strange situations began to happen. As a beginner in F1, I could only expect from my team a lot of support and preparation to help me in getting up to the task. Instead, I was relegated as "someone who drives the other car" with no attention at all. In addition, on numerous occasions, fifteen minutes before qualifying and races, my manager and team boss (Briatore) would threaten me, telling me if I didn't get a good result, he had another driver ready to put in my place. I have never needed threats before to get results. In 2008 I scored 19 points, finished once on the podium in second place, having the best debut year of a Brazilian driver in F1.

For the 2009 season Briatore, again acting both as my manager and team boss of Renault F1, promised me everything would be different, that I would get the attention I deserved but had never received, and that I would get "at least equal treatment" inside the team. He made me sign a performance-based contract, requiring me to score 40% of Fernando Alonso's points by mid-way through the season. Despite driving with Fernando, two-time world champion and a really excellent driver, I was confident that, if I had the same conditions, I would easily attain the 40% of points required by the contract.

Unfortunately, the promises didn't turn into reality again. With the new car I completed 2002km of testing compared to Fernando's 3839km. Only three days of my testing was in dry weather - only one of Fernando's was wet. I was only testing with a heavy car, hard tyres, mostly on the first day (when the track is slow and reliability is poor), or when the weather was bad. Fernando was driving a light car with soft tyres in the dry, fine conditions. I never had a chance to be prepared for the qualifying system we use. In Formula 1 today, the difference between 1st and 15th position is sometimes less than a second. It means that 0.2 or 0.3s can make you gain eight positions.

In addition to that, car development is now happening on a race-to-race basis due to the in season testing ban. Of the first nine races that I ran this year, in four of them Fernando had a significant car upgrade that I did not have. I was informed by the engineers at Renault that in those races I had a car that was between 0.5 and 0.8s a lap slower than my teammate. If I look at Germany (where I out-qualified my teammate despite that), if I had that advantage in qualifying I would be fifth and not tenth. If we had that difference in the race, I would have finished ahead of my teammate, which I did in Silverstone, despite him having upgrades that I did not have.

I believe without doubt in my talent and my performance. I didn't get this far by getting bad results. Anyone who knows my history knows that the results I am having in F1 do not match my CV and my ability. The conditions I have had to deal with during the last two years have been very strange to say the least

Well, who cares?!?

Schumacher is back!

Joking. But I believe Romain Grosjean is in line of succession. He will most certainly replace Piquet in Valencia.

Jacko Vilenurd - he's good. He'll get along with Flab famously.

Confirmed today, Piquet out. His list of excuses is quite long.

I can believe most of the stuff there, with regards Flavio and Renault. Still doesn't account for his performances though. At least Piquet fulfilled one aspect of being a racing driver: he blames everyone but himself.

Alonso always do that too.