Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HandyNZL

Bmw Are Gone Gone Gone

Its official....BMW will withdraw from F1 at the end of the year.

Now we have 12 teams, and two drivers looking for a, er, drive.

Kubica to Ferrari immediately? Quite the possibility.

Eulogies can be posted below for the team from Hinwell.

RIP Sauber

It's massively depressing. I've always wanted them to do well (with the exception of when they were challenging Schu & co way back). But given teh lack of success, it wasn't unexpected.

But what about the $50mil buyout for leaving? Sort of has wider implications on FOTA too.

With less manufacturers, maybe the borderline ones (Toyota and Reno) will stay? They become more niche, no?

Guess Heidfeld will be lining up a drive with one of the three new teams. Gotta feel a little sorry for the guy having been McLarens next driver, only to be usurped by that vodka liking, dolphin loving, party meister, Kimi. Still though...he got to be in F1...which is more than most of us, aye what what?

You deprived me of my "So who replaces BMW" topic :angry: ...!!

It's not good for the sport, but Ferrari can use one (or both) of their drivers, so their demise won't be without benefit :P .

In a serious note, F1 can't afford to lose any more manufacturers.

Not because there won't be any teams to compete, but the series's prestige and glamor takes a definite hit. There is bound to be a bad side effect in the quality of the competition. I doubt the new teams can innovate all that much.

"tifosi too!" makes a valid point re: the further loss of manufacturers. Yes, on the face of it it's unfortunate to have BMW pull the plug on their F1 operation, adding only to the depressed, dismal feeling within the team during this season. Does this move stem the tide within F1 or instead allow companies such as Toyota or Renault to again take a hard look at their racing expenditures? Who will be left standing at year end? The drivers will get a ride somewhere - maybe a testing position for Heidfeld or a move into some other form of racing - but the loss of the team itself and a major automotive force behind it is unsettling. Not good news.

Ok, so Brawn buys BMW and renames it as BMWGP. He hires Piquet and Alex Yoong. A loophole in next year's regulations allows cars to go on rails. Nobody except BMWGP and BGP notice it.

By May, both teams have an advantage of 120 points over the rest.

Alex Yoong's fans are all over the world carrying "See? We told you!" signs. Piquet is last.

Everybody thought Jense, Rubens and all the staff were buggered last year when Honda left, I ain't falling for that one again.

I imagine the team will get brought and Kubica and Heidfeld will stay put, for fear of missing out on a Brawn-esque revival the following year.

Kubica to WRC, Nick to, possibly Renault?? Man Flabbio has a variety of choice of drivers for next year seeing as Piquet's gone & hopefully Nando will go to Ferrari!

Statement by Dr. Norbert Reithofer, Chairman of the Board of Management of BMW AG, Press Conference on the Realignment of BMW AG's Motor Sports Activities

Speech

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Thank you for joining us at such short notice here today.

Yesterday, the Board of Management made the following decision:

• We will realign our motor sports activities.

• The BMW Group will end its Formula One activities at the end of the 2009 season.

• We will remain active in the field of motor sports, focusing on close-to-production motor sports and promoting young drivers.

• We will pool our expertise and financial resources in the fields of sustainability and new technology development.

In 2007, we set the foundation for a strategic realignment of the BMW Group by adopting our Strategy Number ONE. Now we are rolling out this strategy in all areas within the BMW Group.

In addition, we initiated an internal change process that goes hand in hand with a new mindset throughout our workforce.

All measures and activities aim for the same goal, namely to ensure our company’s future viability.

This is the focus to which we are dedicating our resources and capacities, while constantly adjusting them to new requirements.

The BMW Group is the world’s leading premium car company in the automotive industry. We believe that this demands accountability

• with respect to our products,

• with respect to who we are as a company,

• with respect to our social commitment,

• and with respect to the premium business model.

We are of the opinion that the premium segment has to remain a positive role model within our society.

By launching our Efficient Dynamics technology program, we began early on to reduce our vehicles’ fuel consumption and emissions significantly. Today, our BMW and MINI fleet in Germany consumes a mere 5.9 liters of fuel on average. This is below the average of Germany's largest-volume brand.

Sportiness and dynamics remain the key attributes of all BMW models, albeit paired with responsibility.

At the IAA, we will showcase a concept car as a“CO2 champion” to demonstrate a whole new dimension of driving pleasure with regards to efficiency with performance.

In line with our Strategy Number ONE, we are continually reviewing all projects and initiatives to check them for future viability and sustainability.

We made this clear with the initial announcement of our Strategy Number ONE. And, naturally, this also includes motor sports.

And I have always been clear about my position on making tough decisions that will help ensure the BMW Group’s success over the long run.

As our company places stronger focus on sustainability initiatives, our participation in Formula One becomes less a key promoter of this engagement.

It goes without saying that this step was very difficult for us—as well as for me personally.

On behalf of the entire Board of Management, I would like to express our immense gratitude to Mario Theissen for his commitment and successes.

Everyone knows that the BMW brand embodies sportiness with sheer driving pleasure. Sportiness and fair competition are firmly encoded in our DNA.

This is why we will remain loyal to motor sports. But we will do this in series that enable us to transfer technology more directly and to realize additional synergies, while strengthening our brand values. This is in our customers’ best interest.

As a company, we are making a paradigm shift based on our Strategy Number ONE. We are setting new priorities in an ever-changing environment.

The focus of the BMW Group will be towards sustainable development over the next years and decades to come.

Our vision remains clear: to be the leading provider of premium products and premium services for individual mobility.

We will pursue this vision with resolve.

Thank you for your attention.

My 2 cents:

Sauber will do Brawn with financial and technical support from FOTA. Ferrari might supply engines. So all sheep will be acounted for.

I doubt they'll do a brawn - brawn have only done as well as they have because of honda's development on the car - in 08 they gave up on developing the 08 car very early into the season and focussed on the 09 car - which paid off. BMW have done very little for the 2010 car - their decision to pull out was also earlier than honda's, so there will be no development in the 2010. So basically, if anyone buys the bmw team, the car will only just be better than the crap we have now

Rumors that Kubica will follow Kimi to WRC! I'd say Rosberg will move to McLaren if rumors are correct, Kovy to Renault & Nick to Williams!

I see Kovalainen going Renault anyways. I mean, at first they can replace Piquet with Grosjean, but it won't last. They may get him back by 2010.

I didn't expect that, I thought Alonso would drive a BMW some day. sad.gif

It could change some things. Like three cars per team and maybe Raikkonen, Kubica and Alonso in Ferrari next year. wacko.gif

i cant see fernando and robert along. at first theyd b best friends, in two months theyd kill eachother.

i cant see fernando and robert along. at first theyd b best friends, in two months theyd kill eachother.

Just what F1 needs these days! ohmy.gif