Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wapi

3 Cars On The Grid

Why not third car in different livery? i.e. different sponsors? Quashes some points raised above.

Maybe someone there has been looking to see why CART was so successful in the '90's and almost topped F1 for viewership. BAR wanted to run two liveries as they could get more money, instead some wallies made them do that horrible zip livery.

More cars the merrier - if its an option to run 3, then let em do it. I don't care about their spending....that's their own perogative and sensible teams don't over spend in the first place.

IndyCar does that! Andretti Green Racing have 4 cars but all have completely different sponsors!

The point with Formula One is that 'not every brand can associate with it'. It's not a simple advertisement spot, it's more selective. When you associate your brand with a team, you're sharing with these other sponsors the identity of that team, and consequentially it's target public. If you simply open the range of sponsorings into three time more brands, you completely lose the notion of almost-exclusivity, and you go from having a -for example - Petronas sponsored car, like BMW, to a car with no identity. You end up losing the most important thing into Formula One sponsoring which is the image association.

it all sounds good yea having extra drivers but look at the points, 3 team will get points leaving slower team with no hope of getting a point.

The point with Formula One is that 'not every brand can associate with it'. It's not a simple advertisement spot, it's more selective. When you associate your brand with a team, you're sharing with these other sponsors the identity of that team, and consequentially it's target public. If you simply open the range of sponsorings into three time more brands, you completely lose the notion of almost-exclusivity, and you go from having a -for example - Petronas sponsored car, like BMW, to a car with no identity. You end up losing the most important thing into Formula One sponsoring which is the image association.

Cars are sponsored!!!!!!!! No....you're pulling my left nut????

No sponsor on any F1 car has ever made me buy anything, and I doubt very many other people other have been persuaded by the stickers on the cars to do or buy something. We watch for the cars and the people driving them. I couldn't care less who sponsors any of them. I just want more colours out there...white is so anally boring! :P

Any ways, all valid points Kati. Just don't think the "branding" is important as you think....it's only important to the brands themselves.

My notebook is a Dell, sorry ^^ and I do drink Red Bull.

I study Marketing. Branding is everything.

My notebook is a Dell, sorry ^^ and I do drink Red Bull.

I study Marketing. Branding is everything.

And like any other pseudoscience, you can always make an ad hoc theory to prove your point. :P

You could say "Branding is everything" so what is the use of those tiny little logos that nobody can see behind the front wing? Because they improve branding. Why have 3 cars with different sponsors on each one? Because they improve branding.

As for Red Bull, you have better taste in F1 cars than in beverages. That drink taste like feet! :P

And like any other pseudoscience, you can always make an ad hoc theory to prove your point. :P

You could say "Branding is everything" so what is the use of those tiny little logos that nobody can see behind the front wing? Because they improve branding. Why have 3 cars with different sponsors on each one? Because they improve branding.

It's called cluttering, it's not really the basis of succesfull branding. BUT when a team starts winning and everyone try figuring out why, you start noticing them. Everyone of them! Or you start remembering them during the season. Think F1 Ferrari Mclaren and Renault and you remember brands, the association with the glamour and being hi-end becomes inevitable....

It's called cluttering, it's not really the basis of succesfull branding. BUT when a team starts winning and everyone try figuring out why, you start noticing them. Everyone of them! Or you start remembering them during the season. Think F1 Ferrari Mclaren and Renault and you remember brands, the association with the glamour and being hi-end becomes inevitable....

Actually, I wanted to end my post saying that, although I am a Renault fan and had been for years, I didnt own any product advertised on their cars. But I just couldnt remember any of their sponsors (I swear...is Elf still their sponsor? And I recall that one with the flower logo, no idea what they are.) so I could not say that I dont own anything :)

All my support for Macca during the Mika vs MS battle never made me buy a Warsteiner, or a Johnny Walker (well, I bought some black label JW but only because i liked it). All my hatred for Ferrari never prevented me from buying Marlboros, though. And none of those brands are ones I became aware only after watching them in a car. I understand that its only through advertising that they become known. But thats it. I see no difference except in strategy between having 3 cars with the same sponsors or each one with a different. Its too subtle a difference to bother me :P

World wastes too much money in marketing/advertising theories.

Actually, I wanted to end my post saying that, although I am a Renault fan and had been for years, I didnt own any product advertised on their cars. But I just couldnt remember any of their sponsors (I swear...is Elf still their sponsor? And I recall that one with the flower logo, no idea what they are.) so I could not say that I dont own anything :)

All my support for Macca during the Mika vs MS battle never made me buy a Warsteiner, or a Johnny Walker (well, I bought some black label JW but only because i liked it). All my hatred for Ferrari never prevented me from buying Marlboros, though. And none of those brands are ones I became aware only after watching them in a car. I understand that its only through advertising that they become known. But thats it. I see no difference except in strategy between having 3 cars with the same sponsors or each one with a different. Its too subtle a difference to bother me :P

World wastes too much money in marketing/advertising theories.

As I said with the last sentence Andres, it's all about the association with F1 being the pinnacle of motorsports and the glamour. It's not neccesarily there to make money, although it helps, but certain things just stick into your subconcious minds. and the brand just wants to own that little bit of space....

As I said with the last sentence Andres, it's all about the association with F1 being the pinnacle of motorsports and the glamour. It's not neccesarily there to make money, although it helps, but certain things just stick into your subconcious minds. and the brand just wants to own that little bit of space....

That's bollocks. No branding has ever entered my subconscious mind. That's the biggest load of red bull I've ever heard.

Branded bollocks! (ahh the sweet smell of controversy...let me start a awar here) I agree with you...partially. I can see how branding and marketing and all that works. I just think 99% of the money put there is just to pay a bunch of overpriced consultants. Most brands were highly succesful without wating a penny on marketing (compared to nowadays levels). Most of them could be equally as succesful even considering the differences in competitiveness you have today. But the whole advertising stuff is a big business already by itself. Funny, when companies crumbled the billion spent on advertising never seemed to make any difference. Just like the company's horoscope :whistling guy:

As for Red Bull, you have better taste in F1 cars than in beverages. That drink taste like feet! :P

yes but for a minor sponsoring, that little logo behind the front wing means a lot, in terms of image usage. if you think that small logo is nothing, imagine what'd it be like if we had three different sponsored cars on every team. no one would see a sponsor at all. the most logos u place on something, the more value you lose on each of them ;)

And yes I do drink Red Bull, and yes I do love it.

Ok, I was lazy to pick up a F1 livery so I used a ChampCar one, and some random sponsors. Obviously some would never even agree to sponsor same team since they may share market at some point, but it's just to illustrate.

[IMG]http://i31.tinypic.com/1zgqdl0.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i32.tinypic.com/sfkohs.jpg[/IMG]

You think LG would sponsor the first one or the second one really? You really think someone would remember a sponsor if EVERY team had three different sponsored cars? Would we find sponsors enough for 33 cars without having to reduce the sponsoring quota?

Also, when we sell sponsoring, we even analyze if the other car sponsors won't affect the visibility of our sponsor, in terms of colors, size and bla bla bla. F1 is about identity, not a bunch of stickers.

Branded bollocks!

Well, I sort of agree with you. But then the statistics show that even subliminal branding works and sales go up as a result of sponsorship activity. It seems there are people who are less intelligent and more suggestible than your good you are thirsty and really need to drink a Pepsi self.

Having said that, it was Vic Reeves, I believe who said that 84.7% of all statistics are made up :)

That's bollocks. No branding has ever entered my subconscious mind. That's the biggest load of red bull I've ever heard.

So you think about nothing when your body tells you need abit of energy??? Or when you have to stay up late or have to drive 1000 kilometres you think of...nothing.... Nor red bull, no other energy drinks, energy vitamins etc...just nothing.

Branded bollocks! (ahh the sweet smell of controversy...let me start a awar here) I agree with you...partially. I can see how branding and marketing and all that works. I just think 99% of the money put there is just to pay a bunch of overpriced consultants. Most brands were highly succesful without wating a penny on marketing (compared to nowadays levels). Most of them could be equally as succesful even considering the differences in competitiveness you have today. But the whole advertising stuff is a big business already by itself. Funny, when companies crumbled the billion spent on advertising never seemed to make any difference. Just like the company's horoscope :whistling guy:

"I just think 99% of the money put there is just to pay a bunch of overpriced consultants." I've worked for a few Coke brands. The best brand in the world to work for, it does wonders for your CV by the way. Their marketing strategy is so fully develop their methodology follows set principles on what works, and what does'nt. It's fascinating. The process includes taking account every penny spent, real open transparency. Timesheets on every person involved, nowadays you just can't add your own mock-up, it's accounted for.

"Most brands were highly succesful without wating a penny on marketing (compared to nowadays levels)"

When Andres??? in the 1920's b4 the economic boom??? When there was only one brand of aspirin etc??

Do you really think that a company can be successful without branding? Remember, even word-of-mouth is considered advertising. How can a company exist without it telling you what they do? Advertising and branding is essential part of it's start-up and it's further existence.

"I just think 99% of the money put there is just to pay a bunch of overpriced consultants." I've worked for a few Coke brands. The best brand in the world to work for, it does wonders for your CV by the way. Their marketing strategy is so fully develop their methodology follows set principles on what works, and what does'nt. It's fascinating. The process includes taking account every penny spent, real open transparency. Timesheets on every person involved, nowadays you just can't add your own mock-up, it's accounted for.

"Most brands were highly succesful without wating a penny on marketing (compared to nowadays levels)"

When Andres??? in the 1920's b4 the economic boom??? When there was only one brand of aspirin etc??

Do you really think that a company can be successful without branding? Remember, even word-of-mouth is considered advertising. How can a company exist without it telling you what they do? Advertising and branding is essential part of it's start-up and it's further existence.

hahahahahaha I was gon say that bout 1920! hahahahahahah

The fact is that we live in a world where we can have 30 brands doing exactly the same thing, some for a better price, some not. Marketing is a diferencial, that can make people choose for one brand in detriment of another. On Formula One we most have brands working world-wide or in more than a single country. brands that must compete with even more brands, in foreign territory, so Formula One is kind of an opening door for brand-introduction. One way or another you do get to know new brands and that's one of the points. We have branding even in music videos, and movies. You get Brad Pitt answering a call, and ops, that's a Motorola. Then he goes pick up his motorcycle and ops, that's a BMW. And on the way, he stops on Starbucks and picks up a coffee to go.