Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Quiet One

Renault Will Race In Valencia

Don't make me go look at the stupid source. Go look for yourself. The important thing is: Renault ban was lifted and they will get a 50.000 Euros (or maybe dollars...who cares) fine instead which makes much more sense.

So, in short, justice has been served, which is quite unusual. Of course, being unusual, justice comes at the cost of unfairness. Quite a pardox, huh?

What did I mean by that? That now you will see lots of ranting from Maccas fans or RBR or whatever saying "hey, how come Renault gets scot free with just a fine when we...<blah, blah, Hamilton, blah>"? And they will be probably right. Inconsistence creates these issues.

Now I will be able to say "What a yawnfest Valencia was!" whithout someone pointing that I say that only because Renault/Alonso weren't there. Boy, am I lucky!

Now...if only Renault could retain Alonso for 2010 and hire Kubica as well...but I guess Kimi will be his usual disappointing and get kicked out of Ferrari. I wish Todt would go back there and ban Alonso from signing for that satanic team!

I wish Todt would go back there and ban Alonso from signing for that satanic team!

Remind me, who's wheel fell off and who didn't tell their driver that it was about to? Hmm....satanic indeed considering Henry Surtees' recent death.

Anyway it's good the fans will get to see their favourite race, but i am left wondering why Renault made such a stupid error in the first place.

Remind me, who's wheel fell off and who didn't tell their driver that it was about to? Hmm....satanic indeed considering Henry Surtees' recent death.

Sorry, but you quoted me saying that Ferrari was a satanic team (something I usually say, because I am no fan of the red team) but I think it is rather obvious from my post that I am not implying that Ferrari has any connection with this whole affair. It was just a joking comment on my dislike towards the Alonso to Ferrari move. Not connected at all with the tire issue.

As for the tire affaire itself, it should be fairly obvious that the team made a mistake (they should have told him to pull over when they knew about the tire), but there was no intention to cheat or to9 endanger the driver nor other parties. The allegation that the team "knowilngly" sent him to the track with a lose wheel is just way beyond stupidity. Yet, Renault didn't even replied to such obvious idiocy. They admitted their mistakes (the mechanic failing to attach the wheel properly and the team not telling him to pull over once they knew aobut it) and just apealed the penalty imposed.

Anyway it's good the fans will get to see their favourite race, but i am left wondering why Renault made such a stupid error in the first place.

I am not sure what is your version of the facts. Here is my vision, unrequested :P

1) The guy at the pitstop fails to attach the tire properly. Things go fast at the pitstops and you could see him startled and a fraction of second hesitation on the lollipop guy as he lifts it but the car already left.

2) All this time, there is no way for the pitwall nor the driver to know what (and if) something went wrong until the guy tells the rest of the team. We don't know when he told them. Lets' say that he did it immediately (otherwise, the "knowingly" part would make no sense). By that time, Alonso already was on his way back to the track.

3) The team tells Alonso that the tire was not properly attached. Maybe he already noticed that by then as we all see him driving very slowly the moment the camera focuses back on him after the pitstop. Reports said that he was already a quarter of a lap into the track by then. What were the options? Either "park right now!" or "try to make it back to the pits". In any case, the tire would have probably fell off. It was a split second decision. If not for Surtees and Massa, this would have been just a blooper.

I find it annoying when teams dont like their punishment and get around it. Cant any team take it like a man?

I find it annoying when teams dont like their punishment and get around it. Cant any team take it like a man?

Stop complaining and acting like a wuss! You don't like it? Take it like a man! :P

Stop complaining and acting like a wuss! You don't like it? Take it like a man! :P

lol, ok i will, I accept it and take it like a man. On the + side we will soon see whos driving for them soon.

hey why is this such a surprise ?

Like Bernie would be F(*&%^$^&*( g lost if a Renault team was not running at Valencia !!!!! He would be thinking of all the money he would loose.

It was a forgone conclusion that a Monentary Fine would result, well to me anyway..

I really do wonder WHO runs F1 these days ? FIA , FOTA, WHO EVER, or Bernie !!!!

The success of the appeal by Renault was probably in the cards from the outset, and admittedly I hate to see drivers punished for the misdeeds of mechanics or team management. The remarkably small fine (given the flood of money that flows through F1) seems a bit pathetic, however. Whether Dollars or Euros, 50,000 is chump change; that probably won't pay the catering bill from the meeting. What's the general consensus here? Is it all about behind closed door politics, who's in favor and who isn't? As for the incident itself, was it 'heat-of-the-moment' misjudgment in the pits? Without wanting to beat this into the ground I am curious about your opinions. What the hell: It's only Tuesday and we have to wait until Saturday for qualifying, M.S. is out of the spotlight and depending on the article you choose to read and believe, Massa will either be back for Monza or Brazil or next season.

I am not sure what is your version of the facts. Here is my vision, unrequested :P

1) The guy at the pitstop fails to attach the tire properly. Things go fast at the pitstops and you could see him startled and a fraction of second hesitation on the lollipop guy as he lifts it but the car already left.

2) All this time, there is no way for the pitwall nor the driver to know what (and if) something went wrong until the guy tells the rest of the team. We don't know when he told them. Lets' say that he did it immediately (otherwise, the "knowingly" part would make no sense). By that time, Alonso already was on his way back to the track.

3) The team tells Alonso that the tire was not properly attached. Maybe he already noticed that by then as we all see him driving very slowly the moment the camera focuses back on him after the pitstop. Reports said that he was already a quarter of a lap into the track by then. What were the options? Either "park right now!" or "try to make it back to the pits". In any case, the tire would have probably fell off. It was a split second decision. If not for Surtees and Massa, this would have been just a blooper.

So true, i'm gald that common sense has shone through on this one (not always the case when the FIA are involved we must remember!).

I agree Renault shouldn't have been disqualified and i 'm glad they 'll be on the grid!

They never put their wheels on well in Hungary anyway, so why punish them??(Hungary 2006!)

I wish MS was back as well, but anyway, maybe some other time!

FIA backflips on Renault... well, hey, I'm still laughing by Todt's promise of neutrality. What the future will not bring.

Don't make me go look at the stupid source. Go look for yourself.

That kind of talk has brought to tears many around here. I had to smile, oh quite one.

If anything, you must give that Renault have at least a very good team of lawyers to make the FIA admit this and to get these teams' support:

Renault was obviously not the only team who found the race suspension as a sanction disproportionate. And with good reason, as the court stated during the case that indeed it found the penalty incorrect when comparing the events to other previous incidents:

"With respect to sanctions imposed in similar incidents, the Court accepts and emphasizes that each case must be looked at on its own merits and does not wish retrospectively to make judgments about other incidents. Nonetheless, it is the Court

Those teams acted smartly, it was in their interests to support Renault on this one. I don't think their lawyers had to be all that good, the penalty was always super stoopid and all they really had to do was turn up.

Those teams acted smartly, it was in their interests to support Renault on this one. I don't think their lawyers had to be all that good, the penalty was always super stoopid and all they really had to do was turn up.

Tell that to McLaren :P

Don't make me go look at the...

But Nelsinho won't be there! sad.gif

He was the only driver that could liven up the weekend.

Andres, can you digest that one of the teams that supported Reno in this case was Ferrari?

If he can, then hes not the Andres we know. :P

Of course I can digest Ferrari acknowledging Renault's superior intelligence and cunning.

Geez, the Court RECOGNIZED that the stewards were inconsistent and that it was a knee jerk reaction. When was the last time you heard the FIA (or the Court of appeal) recognize such thing?

If it had been Ferrari, they would have probably obtained the same result, but only after some shady negotiations. Never in court.

If it had been McLaren, they would have not only got a Court's resolution applauding everything the marshals have done, but the Court would have probably added an extra punishment of Whitmarsh having to spend a whole weekend with Eddie Jordan, Norbert Haug having to lose 100 pounds and the Pope saying that the marshalls are the voice of god.

Of course I can digest Ferrari acknowledging Renault's superior intelligence and cunning.

Geez, the Court RECOGNIZED that the stewards were inconsistent and that it was a knee jerk reaction. When was the last time you heard the FIA (or the Court of appeal) recognize such thing?

If it had been Ferrari, they would have probably obtained the same result, but only after some shady negotiations. Never in court.

If it had been McLaren, they would have not only got a Court's resolution applauding everything the marshals have done, but the Court would have probably added an extra punishment of Whitmarsh having to spend a whole weekend with Eddie Jordan, Norbert Haug having to lose 100 pounds and the Pope saying that the marshalls are the voice of god.

:lol: