Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rodders47

Why F1 Is Not Popular In Usa

Lots of diverse opinions and views here and for what it's worth I am quite certain that there is no single answer. While there is a definite core of U.S. based fans of F1, from those who just jumped on the bandwagon to old timers who will tell you about watching Phil Hill win the championship in a Ferrari, it is a relatively small percentage of the (shall we say) sports-minded public. I do think that the rise in popularity of NASCAR says something about what many American race fans want to see, and, ostensibly, and without citing the obvious differences, NASCAR and F1 are polar opposites. Beyond 4 wheels they share little. There are fan bases for sports car racing, both local and national, and the 12 Hours of Sebring, for example, always brings out large appreciative crowds. Open wheel racing has, to my mind, never recovered from the ugly divorce in the 1990's, splintering drivers and fans alike.

So that leaves NASCAR at the top of the heap and I think most of you know what that's all about. Remarkably long races, almost all on ovals, endless cautions, lots of crashes, etc., etc. I tried watching some races in the early 1990's but found myself bored to tears. For those out there who enjoy it, more power to you; just don't ask me to sit next to you and join in. Formula One is rather effete if not downright snobbish sometimes. It's about the ungodly rich and the jet setters. Guess what: It's supposed to be. It's Formula One. The movers and shakers are naturally attracted to the glamour and have been for decades.

While the inclusion of a couple of American drivers in the series would boost interest I don't think it would amount to much. When Michael Andretti made his much ballyhooed entrance to the sport in 1993 very few Americans took notice. Here was one of the best drivers in American open wheel racing with a very recognizable name and it was hardly a blip on the American radar.

Much as I would love to see a return of F1 to the U.S. it will have little to no effect on the fan base. Never say never, but I don't see the clock going back to another era. The hardcore fans will remain a relatively small, quiet, educated minority who will loyally watch the races and visit forums such as this for stimulating conversation.

So that leaves NASCAR at the top of the heap and I think most of you know what that's all about. Remarkably long races, almost all on ovals, endless cautions, lots of crashes, etc., etc. I tried watching some races in the early 1990's but found myself bored to tears. For those out there who enjoy it, more power to you; just don't ask me to sit next to you and join in. Formula One is rather effete if not downright snobbish sometimes. It's about the ungodly rich and the jet setters. Guess what: It's supposed to be. It's Formula One. The movers and shakers are naturally attracted to the glamour and have been for decades.

This paragraph says it all, IMO. F1 is the way it is, and I'd like it to stay that way, because if it were anything else, I wouldn't like it as much as I do now. I used to enjoy NASCAR, but its just gotten progressively worse, and I fear the same would happen to Formula 1 if the casual American fan joined the club.

Besides, F1 doesn't need an excessive number of fans in the USA; they have enough worldwide, and if the however many they do have here are the right people who not only have the money to spend on sponsors and things, but also the interest to do so. In 2007, the average American Le Mans Series fan had an annual income of $100,000, which is why sponsors didn't mind participating even though there weren't as many fans as there were in NASCARland.

Well, I'm glad you said retina, I wondered where you were going with that :lol:

:naughty:

interesting debate here guys...

F1 could do with US money/sponsers/viewers, but probably could do without US technology(automotive)/drivers(at the mo) - how does F1 get one but not the other?

Hey guys (& girl if katie is still on), probably been a few years since I posted on here or even been on TF1, but I wanted to see what was going on with the Brawn/Merc/Nico thing - CRAZY how quickly things can come to fruition!(if it's true....)

As an American, here's my take on what the OP said:

Baseball & (North American) Football are popular in the US because the vast majority of us grew up playing baseball & football... not soccer.

For me & my group of friends, soccer is something we played when we were 5-7 years old; not knowing anything about the game, just chasing a ball around a field en mass, waiting for our Gatorade & cookies at the half. Once we were old enough we played football in the fall instead of soccer, basketball in the winter, and baseball in the spring. That's just how it was and is today. Sure, lots of folks play soccer throughout high school, but the vast majority doesn't.

maybe it is because of the same reason, keep watching and MAYBE yu will see a gol, I don't know how a sport that can finish tie 0-0 could be popular, just imagine you pay to go to a game where you spend more than a hour watching and at the end nobody scores a single point/gol, can you tell me what did you paid for? and don't tell me you just paid to see the players chasing the ball, the worse thing is that everybody is leaving with a smile on their face beacause their team didn't loose and some poeple call this the king of sports.

Soccer can be as boring as any other sport. I agree with Buckheadschieife, if the majority of youngs don't play soccer but basketball, football or baseball we don't have to look further for an explanation.

And if the majority of youngs watch Nascar, Indy, etc. then F1 can't be so popular there.

Watch the acclaimed documentary "Talladega Nights" to understand the Americans' attitude to F1.

Having said that, I don't know any serious fans of either Nascar or F1 in the Bay Area. Here it is Baseball squared. The reason I think is that baseball lasts longer than any other sport (save for cricket, which is just ridiculous), so therefore provides more time in which to get annihilated. Even I, a curmudgeonly Brit, have been indoctrinated. I particularly like having BBQs on the tailgate of your truck before the game. With 10 beers of course.

I think Eric has it right. F1 doesn't need the US, and the US doesn't need F1. Bring back Montreal and I think everyone will live happily ever after. Especially me, eating my poisoned hotdogs.

I agree with Eric, and also Puma. I'd say it's partly due to image and what people want from their sports, and also partly due to the fact no Americans are successful in F1 in recent times. Even if an American started dominating F1, I don't think that would attract many long term American fans, so image or something else (e.g. race coverage, start times, happy enough with NASCAR) must be a factor in why Americans don't watch F1.

As Eric is a NASCAR fan, his opinions represent more of the American 'race fan' than mine do....so his thoughts carry extra weight here. My thoughts may be true as well, but to a lesser degree.

I am amazed that people believe the best drivers are competing in F1. Yes I believe there are great drivers in F1, but to think the whole grid is full of the "best drivers" in the world is stretching ones imagination. This is a sport that had Sato driving in it for years. A fair amount of politics plays into this as well, and that is one thing that the yanks hate most.

I always respect your opinions, but I have to point out that some of the 'people' that believe the best drivers are in F1 are......drivers in other series. To me, that lends a bit more credibility to the argument.

As Eric is a NASCAR fan, his opinions represent more of the American 'race fan' than mine do....so his thoughts carry extra weight here. My thoughts may be true as well, but to a lesser degree.

Was ;)

I think most NASCAR fans would disagree with me; they'd probably want Formula 1 to change to cater to them, when I'd like F1 to be as far from NASCAR as possible.

At the end of the day, Yanks are set in their ways, whether that's good or bad. When you hear comments like "we'll never need cars that don't run on petrol, we'll just find more and more" or "Fix It Again, Tony" in reference to any news of Fiat coming to the US without even giving them a chance to prove they're different from what they used to be, it just shows you that change isn't largely embraced, and I think the views many Americans have on F1 (if they know what it is) will never change, no matter what, and that's probably not a bad thing. I love the USA and the people, but there are a lot of things that have happened to American racing as a result of the US sports fan's wants and needs, and they're just not needed in a sport that, despite it's problems, is still enjoyable to watch.

Was ;)

I think most NASCAR fans would disagree with me; they'd probably want Formula 1 to change to cater to them, when I'd like F1 to be as far from NASCAR as possible.

At the end of the day, Yanks are set in their ways, whether that's good or bad. When you hear comments like "we'll never need cars that don't run on petrol, we'll just find more and more" or "Fix It Again, Tony" in reference to any news of Fiat coming to the US without even giving them a chance to prove they're different from what they used to be, it just shows you that change isn't largely embraced, and I think the views many Americans have on F1 (if they know what it is) will never change, no matter what, and that's probably not a bad thing. I love the USA and the people, but there are a lot of things that have happened to American racing as a result of the US sports fan's wants and needs, and they're just not needed in a sport that, despite it's problems, is still enjoyable to watch.

I think you've nailed it.

I always respect your opinions, but I have to point out that some of the 'people' that believe the best drivers are in F1 are......drivers in other series. To me, that lends a bit more credibility to the argument.

I hear you. Fair to say they are the best drivers for F1. However the elitest fan in F1 looks down their noses at anything that isn't F1. I have watched enough other racing to appreciate the skill those drivers have for their discipline as well. Soemtimes it is like comparing apples to oranges. If you like oranges you think they are the best, but in fact it is a completely subjective opinion based on your own likes.

Put MS in a NASCAR and he would probably suck. Does that mean he is a crap driver. No, just a crappy NASCAR driver.

Some recent rookies in F1 have done very well against some well established F1 drivers. Timing is everything in F1. Lets see what happens with Ferrari this weekend.

Ok, now tell me why football (soccer) is not popular in USA. eusa_think.gif

For anyone with a brain it's because they (in football) are all pussies.