Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Schumikonen

Frank Williams, Is He An Idiot Or What?

As part of Fota he is part of those who agreed not to use them in the next season, maybe he wanted this to happen to come now with that idea and I don't think this is Ferrari's idea because I think they are the team who more benefit has taken out of Kers so far.

I no, I didn't vote for Obama, I wanted Mcain to win.

And going against the wind is not wrong if you are an airplane that would be the best way to go, but he isn't a plane and see him like a bitter person, to make the story short I would said that he looks like a Becker to me http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xZo7sRtA2w

Frank Williams, Is He An Idiot Or What? Rate Topic:

what,

hes pushing for kers because he bought a kers company, Ferrari are pushing for 3 car team because they bought Alonso.

He does seem quite awkward when you look at it like that. But he is just looking out for his team.

Ok. I can see your point. But Frank needs to find a happy medium in looking out for his team, and protecting the interests of F1 as a sport in general. Its fine to keep disagreeing, but ultimately will lead to there being no team for Frank to protect. In this kind of situation there is a time to stand up and be counted, and there is a time to roll with the punches. Instead of directly opposing any idea/rule/itinerary, why not discuss the reasons for not being in favour for the above, get his opinion across and even if he is out-voted, ultimately the seed has been planted for others to think upon.

I don't particularly like the man, but he is a visionary.

Ok. I can see your point. But Frank needs to find a happy medium in looking out for his team, and protecting the interests of F1 as a sport in general. Its fine to keep disagreeing, but ultimately will lead to there being no team for Frank to protect. In this kind of situation there is a time to stand up and be counted, and there is a time to roll with the punches. Instead of directly opposing any idea/rule/itinerary, why not discuss the reasons for not being in favour for the above, get his opinion across and even if he is out-voted, ultimately the seed has been planted for others to think upon.

I agree with you that he has to find a happy medium, but he has learnt from the past not to....There is a certain team in F1 who used to get things done in their favour in the past at the cost of other teams, well I don't say its bad either, they were cunning enough to make sure they were successful......Williams have been hit very hard in the past for many reasons, and the withdrawal of BMW really made things worse....If Frank can get extra favours from the FIA for well, good for him.

Yeah, a guy who is basically one of the few pure genuises F1 has is a idiot. I think a guy who has been here for so many time deserves a bit more respect than be called a "idiot", but hey, that

Sir Francis Owen Garbatt Williams CBE has always been an enigma to most people. A champion of full-on, competitive motor racing, an innovator, maverick, never-say-die, roughneck pit fighter. He should never be underestimated or dismissed as a cranky old git. He may be 67 but has been in a wheelchair since 1986 - 23 years - tenacity is his middle name. He has spawned seven WDCs and entered his team in over 600 Grand Prix. He is a legend but he is on his uppers. Sponsors have fled, his No.1 driver is leaving and the No.2 is a banzai nutter who breaks cars. Williams declared their intent to break their engine deal with Toyota to find the door at Mercedes firmly slammed in their face. Ferrari or Renault are the only other serious choices available. The former find it hard to forget his support for the Schumacher test ban - vendettas are part of their DNA. However, unless Frank can get engined elsewhere for free he will have to compensate Toyota, according to the original agreement. So, with a pending law suit, no income stream, lacking a world class driver, engine or support of the paddock, he announces to the world that he will be running KERS, spurning FOTA but soldiering on. The budget cap, three drivers, no 14th team crap are his way of saying, 'we are still here, we are important, Williams are an integral part of F1 and our opinion counts, irrespective of the position we may take. We will fight all the way and race till we die.' In reality, things are desperate for the Grove outfit but they are a proud outfit and an extremely clever one at that. I suggest you write Sir Francis Owen Garbatt Williams CBE off at your peril.

Sir Francis Owen Garbatt Williams CBE has always been an enigma to most people. A champion of full-on, competitive motor racing, an innovator, maverick, never-say-die, roughneck pit fighter. He should never be underestimated or dismissed as a cranky old git. He may be 67 but has been in a wheelchair since 1986 - 23 years - tenacity is his middle name. He has spawned seven WDCs and entered his team in over 600 Grand Prix. He is a legend but he is on his uppers. Sponsors have fled, his No.1 driver is leaving and the No.2 is a banzai nutter who breaks cars. Williams declared their intent to break their engine deal with Toyota to find the door at Mercedes firmly slammed in their face. Ferrari or Renault are the only other serious choices available. The former find it hard to forget his support for the Schumacher test ban - vendettas are part of their DNA. However, unless Frank can get engined elsewhere for free he will have to compensate Toyota, according to the original agreement. So, with a pending law suit, no income stream, lacking a world class driver, engine or support of the paddock, he announces to the world that he will be running KERS, spurning FOTA but soldiering on. The budget cap, three drivers, no 14th team crap are his way of saying, 'we are still here, we are important, Williams are an integral part of F1 and our opinion counts, irrespective of the position we may take. We will fight all the way and race till we die.' In reality, things are desperate for the Grove outfit but they are a proud outfit and an extremely clever one at that. I suggest you write Sir Francis Owen Garbatt Williams CBE off at your peril.

Amen.

:clap3: great post and this post shows what I mean, the guy is burning the bridges behind him his is killing this once great team by his actittude, if he keep saying no he will find a no that will take the team out of F1 and I would like to see that team in the level it was when Prost/Mansell/Hill/Villenueve won their driver title and not fighting for the last points like they are now.

I completely agree with you.

Vendettas are in Ferrari DNA and Williams DNA too. I remember a couple of them. Regarding the wheel chair... another contribution of the Piquet Family!!!!!

Great post. If F1 was full of miserable sods who said "After you, no, no I insist" everytime, F1 wouldn't be anywhere near as competitive as it is today. F1 is a harsh world and only the fittest survive.

Great post. If F1 was full of miserable sods who said "After you, no, no I insist" everytime, F1 wouldn't be anywhere near as competitive as it is today. F1 is a harsh world and only the fittest survive.

I don't think F1 is that competitive, this year have been the exception to the rule but usually F1 have been dominated by a single team most of the time when a team comes up with the best car, like Brown this year, usually there nothing left for the rest, just look at this season how difficult have been to reduce their gap even when Button is not winning and RB has won only one race, I don't call that competitiveness.

I don't think F1 is that competitive, this year have been the exception to the rule but usually F1 have been dominated by a single team most of the time when a team comes up with the best car, like Brown this year, usually there nothing left for the rest, just look at this season how difficult have been to reduce their gap even when Button is not winning and RB has won only one race, I don't call that competitiveness.

Didn't know Gordon Brown had a team! :P

Hmm, I wouldn't say one team has DOMINATED in the last few years. In '05 it was McLaren and Renault, '06 Ferrari and Renault, '07, McLaren and Ferrari, '08 ditto and '09 Brawn and Red Bull. To me domination is a s eason like 1988 where a team wins pretty much every race. And I haven't seen that since '04 with Schumi really.

Maybe you don't get many winners, but again, I disagree.

'08 saw Hamilton, Massa, Raikkonen, Kubica, Vettel and Alonso winning (probably more of people I can't remember at the moment)

'09 has seen Button, Vettel, Barrichello, Webber, Hamilton and Raikkonen win races so far.

The grid is so tightly packed in terms of the deficite from front to back. When only 15 years ago it hay have been 5 or 6 seconds covering the entire grid, in recent times the grid is covered by a second, sometimes even less. To me that's competitive.

Didn't know Gordon Brown had a team! :P

Hmm, I wouldn't say one team has DOMINATED in the last few years. In '05 it was McLaren and Renault, '06 Ferrari and Renault, '07, McLaren and Ferrari, '08 ditto and '09 Brawn and Red Bull. To me domination is a s eason like 1988 where a team wins pretty much every race. And I haven't seen that since '04 with Schumi really.

Maybe you don't get many winners, but again, I disagree.

'08 saw Hamilton, Massa, Raikkonen, Kubica, Vettel and Alonso winning (probably more of people I can't remember at the moment)

'09 has seen Button, Vettel, Barrichello, Webber, Hamilton and Raikkonen win races so far.

The grid is so tightly packed in terms of the deficite from front to back. When only 15 years ago it hay have been 5 or 6 seconds covering the entire grid, in recent times the grid is covered by a second, sometimes even less. To me that's competitive.

that's just the last two years and after the lasr race driver (schumi) retired there was a point in F1 when Schumi was the only champion on track that's not competitiveness and only two teams fighting for title/wins that's not competitiveness, you got teams and driver that can never be consider among those who can win a race, like Toyota and taht is the rael cause why we have so many boring races, I still remember those days of the Indycar where you had 15-20 car racing one inch apart (I never understood their strategy but it was good competitive racing) I don't remember anything like that in F1.

Yes, but F1 isn't spec racing. You'll always get different combinations, some head and shoulders clear of other teams. But that's the way F1 is. I personally DON'T think F1 is boring at the moment, far from it, so don't understand the critizism at all. F1 is never boring in my book, it's the fastest, most competitive and most spectacular sport. And we should enjoy it. It could be far worse.

I disagree about the Toyota thing. They'll win. For sure they will.

Yes, but F1 isn't spec racing. You'll always get different combinations, some head and shoulders clear of other teams. But that's the way F1 is. I personally DON'T think F1 is boring at the moment, far from it, so don't understand the critizism at all. F1 is never boring in my book, it's the fastest, most competitive and most spectacular sport. And we should enjoy it. It could be far worse.

A good perspective, for sure :thbup:

If Sir Frank and Patrick Head lose their team because they have stood by their principles and values, that is entirely a matter for them. I rather believe they will continue to struggle in their current, isolated position but I am equally convinced that they will persevere, irrespective of whatever trials and tribulations may lay ahead or the opinions of their comtempories.

I disagree about the Toyota thing. They'll win. For sure they will.

I am not criticizing F1 I rather watch F1 and any other series but in a race you find little action even when like in this one you find some of the top qualifiers moved several places back, that was suppose to give us some overtaking as this people were faster than those around them but that was not case, you hardly find good battles on track, Kimi was two second faster than NH but he couldn't overtake, most passes in F1 are on pit stops, I admit that I like to see a good strategy working and maybe that's why I still watch F1 but we should have a little more old stile racing.

EDIT: Don't misinterpret this, but in 2004 I saw what I consider one of the best races in recent years, it was the one at Barhein, the initial race there, that day there was a lot of on track fights being Alonso/Webber http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T_hUrDLcoM the one I remember the most, I thought the track had a lot to do it with that but as the years went by I could see that it wasn't the case

He is also the only person on the grid who will run KERS next year even though all the other teams unanimously agreed to not run it next year because it is just a big money drain and probably the worst thing the FIA ever come up with.

once again - the implementation of KERS was rubbish, not KERS itself - and the FIA didn't invent KERS either - they just decided on the stupid implementation of limiting it's usage to the point where it became more of a hinderance than a benefit.

moving on though - IF Williams runs KERS in 2010, it could be next year's diffuser (although others will quickly catch up again). Why? Because, as I remember, the limit on the power per lap that KERS can currently put out is set to be slightly less restrictive.

the whole thing is a **** up. They told the teams to go away at great expense develop a new piece of kit, which they wouldn't even be able to use to it's full potential - the smart teams didn't bother.

EDIT - reminds me of this...

NASA spent millions of dollars and over a decade to research and develop the perfect pen. It can write upside down, in zero gravity, even underwater. It is a great feet of engineering and ingenuity. The Russians used a pencil.

once again - the implementation of KERS was rubbish, not KERS itself - and the FIA didn't invent KERS either - they just decided on the stupid implementation of limiting it's usage to the point where it became more of a hinderance than a benefit.

moving on though - IF Williams runs KERS in 2010, it could be next year's diffuser (although others will quickly catch up again). Why? Because, as I remember, the limit on the power per lap that KERS can currently put out is set to be slightly less restrictive.

the whole thing is a **** up. They told the teams to go away at great expense develop a new piece of kit, which they wouldn't even be able to use to it's full potential - the smart teams didn't bother.

EDIT - reminds me of this...

NASA spent millions of dollars and over a decade to research and develop the perfect pen. It can write upside down, in zero gravity, even underwater. It is a great feet of engineering and ingenuity. The Russians used a pencil.

that's wierd, a friend of mine just told me this story a few days ago.

:D I was given one of those pens once - they are great. Problem is I rarely find myself in sub-aqua conditions where I think: "bugger, I forgot to stick ketchup on my shopping list" or in meetings where zero gravity plays havoc with minute-taking :D